• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Terrifying Teeside?

BaronHardacre

Justified & Ancient
So, my partner, who is a resident of Middlesbrough, has decided that for Halloween she wants to go somewhere "spooky" for a late night walk.

Now, not being from those parts myself, I have no clue if there is anywhere open to the public at night where we could do this, and Google seems to be of no use.

She did mention the North York Moors, but I pointed out that with our sense of direction, we'd end up as the ghosts...

And Whitby seems a little clichèd.

So, I thought I'd ask here; does anyone know of anywhere truly scary in that part of the country...?

So, my partner, who is a resident of Middlesbrough, has decided that for Halloween she wants to go somewhere "spooky" for a late night walk.

Now, not being from those parts myself, I have no clue if there is anywhere open to the public at night where we could do this, and Google seems to be of no use.

She did mention the North York Moors, but I pointed out that with our sense of direction, we'd end up as the ghosts...

So, I thought I'd ask here; does anyone know of anywhere truly scary in that part of the country...?
Check out this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunted-Middlesbrough-Images-England-Brown/dp/0752441930

Haunted Middlesbrough by the History Press.

The Amazon link provides a preview so you can get some spooky stories straight from that.

Hi baron hardacre just walk around brambles farm in the boro guarantee you will be scared :lolling:

From memory with Middlesbrough - tell people you are from anywhere south of Whitby and you'll have a nice very real Halloween-version of the Purge.

Awful place.

Back in the late 70’s I went to see a band play in Middlesbrough. I can’t remember who was playing but we played The Rezillos all the way there and all the way back on the car radio. Yes. We went in a car. GF at the time had just passed her test. I haven’t been to Chernobyl but having seen Middlesbrough, I can imagine the eerie feeling of dread.

I live on the 'right' side of the Moors, ie, the York side. Middlesborough is what we use to scare our children into never going North.

I'm sure there are nice bits of the Boro, but I've just never heard of them.

Doesn’t the hotel at Teesside airport have a resident ghost of a RAF pilot that unfortunately crashed his jet into his own Officers Mess accommodation?

I was sitting in a barber's in Stockton a few years ago and chatted to a local for about 20 minutes. Eventually he asked if I was from Darlington. My accent is the epitome of RP.

Little known fact that Ridley Scott used the ICI plant on Teeside as the visuals for Blade Runner but also wanted locals cast in the movie. Curly Watts was supposed to be Leon and Freddie ‘Parrot Face’ Davies was supposed to be J.F. Sebastian but the movie soundtrack people said no.

XPs dad worked at the Teeside ICI plant.

He's practically a sci fi script in his own right...

Thanks for all the replies; we ended up driving to Sutton Bank, and wandering around the area around the White Horse, which I can attest is pretty spooky at midnight.

So, basically not Teeside...

I probably should put up some stern defence of Middlesbrough, and Teeside, given the opprobrium it's received around these parts, however given it is a bit of sh*t-hole, the best I can come up with is they did create the chicken parmo.
Possibly...

Am I the only person in the world who hates chicken parmo? I always think I should like it, it contains many of the constituents I love and yet...

Back in the late 70’s I went to see a band play in Middlesbrough. I can’t remember who was playing but we played The Rezillos all the way there and all the way back on the car radio. Yes. We went in a car. GF at the time had just passed her test. I haven’t been to Chernobyl but having seen Middlesbrough, I can imagine the eerie feeling of dread.
I saw Oasis before they were famous in the Boro back in 1994 and yes I can agree with you on that driving back to Newcastle.

I saw Oasis before they were famous in the Boro back in 1994 and yes I can agree with you on that driving back to Newcastle.
I’ve seen a few dystopian movies in my time but nothing in those or even normal life really prepared me for Middlesbrough.

Am I the only person in the world who hates chicken parmo? I always think I should like it, it contains many of the constituents I love and yet...

You're not alone; I had never tried it before spending time up here, and all I can say is that a plain parmo is just... bland.

When it takes the addition of, say, a layer of bolognese or pepperoni to make an already substantial dish actually taste of something, then perhaps it wasn't that great to begin with...

You're not alone; I had never tried it before spending time up here, and all I can say is that a plain parmo is just... bland.

When it takes the addition of, say, a layer of bolognese or pepperoni to make an already substantial dish actually taste of something, then perhaps it wasn't that great to begin with...
I didn't mind the Frankie&Bennys version Chicken Parmigiana its not flattened like the Parmo as you just taste crisp breadcrumbs with a little bit of Chicken.

Three year later reply, I’m exactly the same!!!!!…. Am more of a Penagalty and Fadgy man meself, like.

Again I like all three constituents, but they don’t go together at all. I don’t mind the parmesiano type ones that have tomato instead of the Bechamel though…

Three year later reply, I’m exactly the same!!!!!…. Am more of a Penagalty and Fadgy man meself, like.

Again I like all three constituents, but they don’t go together at all. I don’t mind the parmesiano type ones that have tomato instead of the Bechamel though…
Did Teeside invent it as when I was a waiter at Frankie and Bennys we served Chicken Parmigiana and I'm a Chicken Schnitzel type of guy.

My girlfriend finally saw the light and moved to the slightly less stabby environs of Guisborough, which, whilst having some issues of its own, does at least look slightly nicer then 'boro.

Her plan for this Halloween is a midnight walk up Roseberry Topping, though the only horror I think I'll feel is from my knees...

Did Teeside invent it as when I was a waiter at Frankie and Bennys we served Chicken Parmigiana and I'm a Chicken Schnitzel type of guy.
Not really, as the name suggests. I think it was an Italian American that brought it to Teesside after the war. The Teesside version, Parmesan (parmo for short) rather than Parmigiana, has a thick Bechamel Sauce for the middle layer. Which is the unique part. Also originally pork, but since most of the take aways are owned by Muslims now and modern taste, is now mainly chicken.

I’m guessing originally, originally from the Parma area in Italy?

Back