• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

That Sometimes Fence Around Stonehenge

I came accross this photo of a Bristol Boxkite biplane flying over stonehenge in 1911, which may be of interest. I didn't think there would have been a fence round the stones that long ago but clearly there was. So given that a number of people have posted on this thread saying they visited when there was no fence preumably it was removed at some point..?

Bristol_Boxkite_1911.jpg

Stonehenge, meh... Go to Avebury.

Has this thread's title changed, or have I been misreading it? I'm sure it used to say "sometime fence", not "sometimes fence". The former is grammatically correct, the latter is not.

IMG_20180122_2120049.jpg
View attachment 8109
I came accross this photo of a Bristol Boxkite biplane flying over stonehenge in 1911, which may be of interest. I didn't think there would have been a fence round the stones that long ago but clearly there was. So given that a number of people have posted on this thread saying they visited when there was no fence preumably it was removed at some point..?

Bristol_Boxkite_1911.jpg
from the English heritage guidebook

Hi all, know it's been a while but I've been busy. This thread caught my eye though and I had to post the images of my trip to stonehenge. Did this back in 90's. Truck was new and I was a little newer myself. Anyways this was taken after the restoration work we did on Stonehenge. Back then you could drive right up to it so I did and took a selfie before there were selfies. Anyways I'm surprised to see the monument in such poor condition now days.

PS: I drove across the frozen Bearing Sea, through Mongolia and the Painted Mountains, and finally took the Chunnel under the channel to arrive in Wiltshire just in time for the finishing cement work. I guess they didn't like the results. A pity really to see how poorly the locals have taken care of the hard work we did. I don't know how the British can complain about the French and their broken down castles what with the condition this historic site has been left to become, and then to say they have done some restoration work by standing a stone upright? Well ya know we left it in slightly better condition than that back in the 90's. What's up with these people in Wiltshire anyways? It's like they just don't care or something.

My_Trip_to_Stonehenge.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, know it's been a while but I've been busy. This thread caught my eye though and I had to post the images of my trip to stonehenge. Did this back in 90's. Truck was new and I was a little newer myself. Anyways this was taken after the restoration work we did on Stonehenge. Back then you could drive right up to it so I did and took a selfie before there were selfies. Anyways I'm surprised to see the monument in such poor condition now days.

PS: I drove across the frozen Bearing Sea, through Mongolia and the Painted Mountains, and finally took the Chunnel under the channel to arrive in Wiltshire just in time for the finishing cement work. I guess they didn't like the results. A pity really to see how poorly the locals have taken care of the hard work we did. I don't know how the British can complain about the French and their broken down castles what with the condition this historic site has been left to become, and then to say they have done some restoration work by standing a stone upright? Well ya know we left it in slightly better condition than that back in the 90's. What's up with these people in Wiltshire anyways? It's like they just don't care or something.

Top work Gambier, I bet they didn't even say thank you either .. possibly because you knocked it over ..

That was when you were a member of Spinal Tap, right?

Now of course I was a roadie for Spinal Tap but my trip had nothing to do with the likes of it's proclivities. I did drive to Stonehenge though, that part of the story is true enough, as can be seen from the photo's, only it's not the Stonehenge in Wiltshire. Not that the rest of the story isn't also true mind you, because it is possible to drive to Russia from Seattle and thence on to the Gobi Desert. For example, the Chinese and Russians are quite unaware of the illegals crossings from Alaska who routinely vacation in the Gobi to escape the Alaskan Winters. Of course the wise keep in mind that Putin himself sometimes looks out over the frozen Bearing Sea.

44b392f1dcfacf30ed273711b9d64ef5.jpg

So anyways there is another Stonehenge recreated not far from my own neck of the woods.
The real truth here is I had no idea it existed and stumbled on it. Hence the photo's.
This monument is now also fenced off I believe. Maybe it always was and I just drove round the fence because it was possible and because obviously I wan't the only one who does so. This is actually the Maryhill Stonehenge. It's located in a forlorn and forgotten recess of America a couple hours away from where I'm living.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Stonehenge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill,_Washington

Back