• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 1991 Volga, Russia UFO Photos

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
Two schoolboys took eleven photos of a UFO that landed near a small town on the Volga in Russia and the military conducted an investigation:

Does anyone have anymore information on this case? The subtitles have spelt the town's name incorrectly.

Last edited:
All I can find out is that it happened at Migalovo, near Tver (formerly Kalinin pre-1990).

Interesting pictures, possibly a partially deflated balloon of some sort?

One possibly important fact about Migalovo is that there is a large military airfield there, not too far from the river.

Leaving aside the possibility of a hoax - bearing in mind there was a major 'flap' of sightings across the country in this period - the fact the object is supposed to have changed shape suggests it could have been some kind of escaped aerostat. Something about the shape of the intriguing picture of it 'landed' also suggests this.

One possibly important fact about Migalovo is that there is a large military airfield there, not too far from the river.

Leaving aside the possibility of a hoax - bearing in mind there was a major 'flap' of sightings across the country in this period - the fact the object is supposed to have changed shape suggests it could have been some kind of escaped aerostat. Something about the shape of the intriguing picture of it 'landed' also suggests this.
I find it slightly suspicious that in one image the young lad is pointing at the object despite it being quite large, close and central to their field of vision, seems a bit exaggerated and suggests to me the fuzzy object was added in afterwards. I get the feeling there may have been one anomalous image and then others created to bolster the story. Have to say the image of the object close to the ground looks a little bit like a tight flock of starlings or other birds.

I find it slightly suspicious that in one image the young lad is pointing at the object despite it being quite large, close and central to their field of vision, seems a bit exaggerated and suggests to me the fuzzy object was added in afterwards. I get the feeling there may have been one anomalous image and then others created to bolster the story. Have to say the image of the object close to the ground looks a little bit like a tight flock of starlings or other birds.

Yes the pointing is a red flag, as is the age of the participants - probably the peak age for hoaxers or interest in 'trick' photography.

Back