• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Abandonment Of Lincoln Way, Clairton

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Morning folks,

Here's one that I stumbled across via Reddit, and couldn't find others discussing on here.

Lincoln Way is a neighbourhood in Clairton, a steel and coke (as in high carbon fuel, not cola) city in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It has been left abandoned since the mid 1970s, and nature has gradually begun reclaiming the land ever since.

But what is of particularly interesting speculation is over WHY it was abandoned. And how quickly.

Depending on who is retelling the story Lincoln Way was either abandoned over a few short weeks or literally overnight. By families who really didn't take very much with them. Seriously, TVs, furnishings, food, even pre-sorted racks of work clothes are still on display to this day, exactly as the had been left on the 70s. One of the houses on the block even has a car still parked up neatly in its garage. There's some great photos throughout the following article, and then listed as a gallery at the end of it:

https://architecturalafterlife.com/2015/01/27/the-eerie-abandoned-neighborhood-of-lincoln-way/

A heck of a lot of things seem to point towards a sudden, rather than planned, abandonment. The locals didn't pack up. They just left.

But here's the thing, while there were *some* elderly residents (and some had recently died of old age, leaving properties vacant) a lot of this neighbourhood was made up of families, 16 in total.

Families are not easy to move at short notice. School placement being a major hurdle for one. But what is perhaps a little bit more suspicious is that reportedly records from the tax assessor's office show that the homes in this neighbourhood have never been transferred to ownership of the City. They have the same owners which they did back in the 70s. But those owners do no live there, and taxes have only been paid steadily by 3 households since that time.

So why? What happened to cause these residents to leave?

The local authorities have supposedly refused to comment on the matter. Which has naturally had tongues wagging over the years, in relation to some kind of cover-up. Speculation that the city made residents move out because of toxic fumes from the coke stacks of the local plant. But if that was so then why had the City (or the plant) not bought the land? Why was it still owned by the residents?

Others have proposed that something more paranormal may have been the cause. The street has been 'investigated' by paranormal groups on more than one occasion.

And then there's the more... Out There explanation. A local legend. Of some kind of creature in the locality. To quote from the above article:

"It’s hard to truly conclude what is fact or fiction with Lincoln Way, but the legend tells of a creature; something not human, but unlike any animal that it could be compared to. People claimed that this creature would torment residents, while pets would go missing, later found disfigured and maimed at the forest’s edge surrounding town. Aside from mangled pets, gardens would be found torn to shreds by bigfoot-size paws, far too large to belong to any animals native to Pennsylvania. People would sometimes talk of the creature thumping, rattling and scratching at the sides of their homes."

Which sounds more than a little like utter cobblers to me. :)

Nevertheless, something seems to have prompted a relatively sudden abandoning of 16 odd homes, without a finite explanation. Anybody on here from the Pittsburgh area, who may of heard of this street?

Morning folks,

Here's one that I stumbled across via Reddit, and couldn't find others discussing on here.

Lincoln Way is a neighbourhood in Clairton, a steel and coke (as in high carbon fuel, not cola) city in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It has been left abandoned since the mid 1970s, and nature has gradually begun reclaiming the land ever since.

But what is of particularly interesting speculation is over WHY it was abandoned. And how quickly.

Depending on who is retelling the story Lincoln Way was either abandoned over a few short weeks or literally overnight. By families who really didn't take very much with them. Seriously, TVs, furnishings, food, even pre-sorted racks of work clothes are still on display to this day, exactly as the had been left on the 70s. One of the houses on the block even has a car still parked up neatly in its garage. There's some great photos throughout the following article, and then listed as a gallery at the end of it:

https://architecturalafterlife.com/2015/01/27/the-eerie-abandoned-neighborhood-of-lincoln-way/

A heck of a lot of things seem to point towards a sudden, rather than planned, abandonment. The locals didn't pack up. They just left.

But here's the thing, while there were *some* elderly residents (and some had recently died of old age, leaving properties vacant) a lot of this neighbourhood was made up of families, 16 in total.

Families are not easy to move at short notice. School placement being a major hurdle for one. But what is perhaps a little bit more suspicious is that reportedly records from the tax assessor's office show that the homes in this neighbourhood have never been transferred to ownership of the City. They have the same owners which they did back in the 70s. But those owners do no live there, and taxes have only been paid steadily by 3 households since that time.

So why? What happened to cause these residents to leave?

The local authorities have supposedly refused to comment on the matter. Which has naturally had tongues wagging over the years, in relation to some kind of cover-up. Speculation that the city made residents move out because of toxic fumes from the coke stacks of the local plant. But if that was so then why had the City (or the plant) not bought the land? Why was it still owned by the residents?

Others have proposed that something more paranormal may have been the cause. The street has been 'investigated' by paranormal groups on more than one occasion.

And then there's the more... Out There explanation. A local legend. Of some kind of creature in the locality. To quote from the above article:

"It’s hard to truly conclude what is fact or fiction with Lincoln Way, but the legend tells of a creature; something not human, but unlike any animal that it could be compared to. People claimed that this creature would torment residents, while pets would go missing, later found disfigured and maimed at the forest’s edge surrounding town. Aside from mangled pets, gardens would be found torn to shreds by bigfoot-size paws, far too large to belong to any animals native to Pennsylvania. People would sometimes talk of the creature thumping, rattling and scratching at the sides of their homes."

Which sounds more than a little like utter cobblers to me. :)

Nevertheless, something seems to have prompted a relatively sudden abandoning of 16 odd homes, without a finite explanation. Anybody on here from the Pittsburgh area, who may of heard of this street?
I notice that someone in the talk back provided a street view link ..

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.3131...m4!1sNgjaIp21P6kjyxLRwrnK7A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

IMHO this is one of those stories that has emerged and proliferated to fill an explanatory void too embarrassing or distasteful to mention, and then came to serve as the subject's most popular feature.

Clairton - and all the communities in the Monongahela River Valley near Pittsburgh - essentially collapsed in response to the local steel industry's collapse from the 1980's onward. The only thing special about Lincoln Way in Clairton is that the valley's socio-economic rot is visibly concentrated in a small area there, rather than scattered / intermittent as it is for miles around.

There are similar neighborhoods that imploded in places like Detroit and Cleveland during the 1970's and 1980's.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairton,_Pennsylvania
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/s...ire-decimates-ghost-town/stories/201504110108

A surprisingly large number of people do very strange things when they abandon houses. Deep in the depths of the Great Recession, I read an article about a fellow in California who had a business cleaning out foreclosed houses for banks. He had a crew of people who would load everything left behind in big roll-off dumpsters. Often the houses were full of furniture, clothes, family photos, important documents, all sorts of things. The man said he had tried to work with nonprofits and such, but they never seemed to be able to show up at the arranged time to pick up the goods. He told his crews to take anything they wanted.

That fellow worked in newer subdivisions, far out from where people worked. Gas prices shot up, and suddenly many people couldn't afford to drive their gas guzzlers back and forth. Weird.

The Street View photos are from 2007, just 3-4 years after the people left.

They didn't all leave at once. The Clairton town manager stated in the Post Gazette article (linked above):

"But over time, the people who were on that street either passed away or moved away. The last lady that I was aware of, she had to go to a nursing home.”
(Emphasis added)

Clairton was operating under the supervision of a state 'distressed communities' program (essentially the city version of bankruptcy) from 1988 until released from the program in 2015. During this long period, services were cut and revenues from property taxes failed to adequately support operations. Clairton operated with a net annual loss for 10 of the 28 years from 1987 through 2014 (inclusive), and it wasn't until 2010 that the city began a continuous series of years operating 'in the black'.

For the background on 3 decades of malaise, check the state report issued when the city was released from the distressed communities program:

https://dced.pa.gov/download/dced-determination-order-city-of-clairton-executed-pdf/?wpdmdl=59466

As of February 2017, Clairton was still working to rebuild basic economic infrastructure to support residents. Here's an assessment of one such infrastructure feature (food shopping), from an official of a local development organization:

“Clairton is one of the worst food deserts in Allegheny County,” he said. “All the corner stores and markets have pulled out and trying to attract a grocery store is tough when there’s not enough market” to support it.

See: http://www.post-gazette.com/busines...-development-in-Clairton/stories/201702100109

I think that in all honesty, with further info added, there isn't something terribly suspicious going on here. Yes. Abandoned neighbourhoods can be very spooky. You don't find many of them here in the UK, because local councils buy them up and demolish them far quicker.

But the urban legend in play here feels like a coordinated hoax, to me. I think I'd want more proof of when residents actually did move out. Whether it really was overnight. Or whether over YEARS.

... I think I'd want more proof of when residents actually did move out. Whether it really was overnight. Or whether over YEARS.

I've been wondering what would be the most efficient way to get at least a rough overview for the course of property abandonment.

The best idea I've come up with so far would be to review the delinquent property tax records for the houses on Lincoln Way and to see whether they seemed to all go delinquent at once versus doing so gradually over a period of years.

Back