• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ancient Ram Inn

The first picture looks like a storm trooper to me!

Ta for all your opinions!
I don't make any claim for the image one way or the other, it was just an odd result given the context in which it was taken, and the fact that none of the other thousand or so photographs taken on that camera over the last couple of years have ever shown anything similar.

Nothing similar to report on my last visit to the Ram last weekend, I'm afraid!

Look for any thread concerning Most Haunted. That bunch of jokers cast their spell over the place and is a favourite of theirs!

I'm not normally one to be judgemental but... the scariest thing in the Ancient Ram has got to be John Humphries himself.

Atch said:
I'm not normally one to be judgemental but... the scariest thing in the Ancient Ram has got to be John Humphries himself.

After all, to look at him, he would appear to be the the spirit of Rod Hull...

the ancient ram inn?

I was doing a spooky-search the other day and i stumbled across a website about the ancient ram inn, in wotton-under-edge ( i think that is right)

It sounds very interesting but i can't find a good bit of research on it, most of the sites i have looked at are anecdotal, which is very interesting in itself. However i would be interested to see results of a team who have investigated the building.

Anyone have any info/links/ideas??

~*Minky*~

Nice link. :yeay:

See some orb shaped things in the pics and streamy like things in the pics. Can;t see the face in the clock though.

yeh i found it hard to see the face in the clock, i did make something out eventually but what i'm seeing is probably simulacra, because you do have to squint and tilt your head a bit to see it!

reading about the activity which occurred when the owner of the place tried to put up a picture of Rev John Wesley was very interesting though. wasn't he the founder of the methodist church? unless there's another rev john wesley who was more local to the inn.

it has been noted that the site hasn't been known for spooks until the current owner moved in, can anyone confirm that? my two thoughts are either plugging the place for money saying it's haunted, or the owner has triggered something by his presence there.
that's not very unusual to me, a friend of mine lived in a very scary house until just a few years ago. her ma had bought the place in the late 70's and had no trouble at all until she knocked a wall down to make one big room downstairs and then all hell broke loose. That was a frightening place to be, as a kid i was terrified of staying there!

there's also a claim that one of the rooms is called the witches room because it is haunted by a witch who was 'burned at the stake along with her black cat' in the town in the major part of the witch panics. Odd, as i thought the burning at the stake only occurred in continental witch executions, in the UK i am pretty certain it was death by hanging or drowning. perhaps it was an isolated case, but i can find no documentation or suggestion that it is anything but a local legend.

~*minky*~

Re: the ancient ram inn?

minkycats said:
Anyone have any info/links/ideas??

minkycats - I've merged your thread with the existing Ancient Ram Inn topic. There should be some info in the previous posts that may help your research.

There's also discussion in some of the Most Haunted threads:

see here and here

There is also this that you may want to take a look at.

edit- tidied up post

:yabba:
ta for the thread merge i am happily mulling through it! and ta for the links too!

it is an interesting subject, looking forward to reading more.

cheerio!

~*minky*~

Witches were hanged in England, but heretics were burned.

Leaferne said:

Wern't the witch thing only done here by Matthew Hopkins though? Never heard of any people accused here of being Witches ever hung in older times.

there's a very good book on the subject of witchcraft by jeffrey russell its called 'A history of witchcraft' and it helped to blow away some of the myths and silly ideas i had!
if i remember correctly from that, there were witch hangings in britain during the major witch panics, but only in continental executions were people burned.

at any rate, regarding the ancient ram inn, i can find nothing but local legend to support the notion a witch could be haunting the place. not that i believe witches actually existed, in my opinion (and i am ok with being proved wrong!) society was just targeting those who were on the outskirts of the group, or people they had scores to settle with etc.
these days we don't generally go out hanging or harassing people to vent our emotions, we shout at the tv, get angry on the roads, generally vent our spleens at things which dont talk back. of course thats a broad sweeping statement and i dont mean it to refer to everything and everyone, but it is strange how a lot of people sit yelling at the news/politics programmes/docu's/even SOAP OPERAS!! on the telly. that seems to be a socially acceptable way to deal with feelings.

anyway i am rambling now so i will stop!

over and out

~*minky*~
ps it has been a sunny day here in wales so i use that as my excuse for talking nonsense and being a bit giddy!!

MaxMolyneux said:
Leaferne said:

Wern't the witch thing only done here by Matthew Hopkins though? Never heard of any people accused here of being Witches ever hung in older times.

There were other, older, witchcraft prosecutions. But Matthew Hopkins and John Stearne made a living from witchfinding in the Anglian countryside. Before, the locals would - if encouraged or just acknowleged by the local cleric - bring their own prosecution before the local magistrate. Hopkins and Stearne saw a 'niche' in the market and dived in. To be fair, they honestly thought what they did was for the good of society.

[quote="Stormkhan"[To be fair, they honestly thought what they did was for the good of society.[/quote]

Well they would think that with it being a Christianity enforced world back then.

What tests did they do to think they were witches?

So that's where Worzel Gummidge retired to! I'd very much like to know what that cat had to say, but the internet doesn't seem to know.

Ah, the Ram. Bit of a prominent presence in my Fortean world, partly because it's only a few miles from me, and partly because a friend (the same one mentioned in my IHTM post) visited it as a schoolboy, and needs little prompting to recall just how damn scary it was. He also recalls a photo being taken of him and those with him outside the building, that on developing showed a tall, dark, robed figure lurking behind the group. Sadly, he lost touch with the others years back, so getting that photo seems unlikely.

Been meaning to visit myself for years, but never managed it. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing... :p

Even if the stories are just, well, stories, the history of the place is palpable. Can't be too many buildings like it. One odd little inconsistency I've noticed - in some photos the painted sign at the top of the wall, just below the chimney, reads "13TH CENT", and in others "10TH CENT". Just exactly how old is it? Even the Inn itself doesn't seem to know...

No one seems to have mentioned this, but John Humphreys, the eccentric owner of the Ram Inn, passed away last December.

Back