The Bermuda Triangle

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
When was the last time the triangle was 'officially' blamed as the reason for an aircraft or ships demise?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
When was the last time the triangle was 'officially' blamed as the reason for an aircraft or ships demise?
That's a good question.

The 'classic' Bermuda Triangle stories tend to involve cases in which there were few or no communications to give clues as to what happened (or was happening ... ) at the time an air or sea craft disappeared.

With real-time communications being more common and reliable fewer craft go missing without providing clues about current or impending trouble.

SS Cotopaxi was documented as having broadcast distress calls. This may well be the reason this disappearance isn't consistently mentioned as one of the canonical Bermuda Triangle mystery cases.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Here's another online article about the discovery of the Cotopaxi and its relationship to the Bermuda Triangle folklore. The story is skeptical / debunker oriented, but makes a solid point - neither the Cotopaxi nor many of the other eventually discovered vessels associated with the Triangle mythos actually went down within the alleged Triangle.
Bermuda Triangle theory busted: 1925 ship Cotopaxi found near Florida

The SS Cotopaxi went missing in 1925, while traveling from Charleston, South Carolina, to Havana.

The identification of a nearly 100-year-old shipwreck has debunked a popular conspiracy theory: that the Bermuda Triangle was somehow involved with the 1925 disappearance of the SS Cotopaxi. The steam powered bulk carrier never made it to its destination in Havana.

The real cherry on top of the discovery, however, is that the SS Cotopaxi shipwreck isn't even in the Bermuda Triangle, which stretches from Bermuda to Florida to Puerto Rico.

"That's the thing about this Bermuda Triangle — if you actually look at it on a map, most of the stories associated with it aren't even in the boundaries," Michael Barnette, a marine biologist and diver who identified the wreck, told Live Science. "It's total rubbish." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/shipwreck-cotopaxi-bermuda-triangle.html