The Bermuda Triangle

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
When was the last time the triangle was 'officially' blamed as the reason for an aircraft or ships demise?
That's a good question.

The 'classic' Bermuda Triangle stories tend to involve cases in which there were few or no communications to give clues as to what happened (or was happening ... ) at the time an air or sea craft disappeared.

With real-time communications being more common and reliable fewer craft go missing without providing clues about current or impending trouble.

SS Cotopaxi was documented as having broadcast distress calls. This may well be the reason this disappearance isn't consistently mentioned as one of the canonical Bermuda Triangle mystery cases.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another online article about the discovery of the Cotopaxi and its relationship to the Bermuda Triangle folklore. The story is skeptical / debunker oriented, but makes a solid point - neither the Cotopaxi nor many of the other eventually discovered vessels associated with the Triangle mythos actually went down within the alleged Triangle.
Bermuda Triangle theory busted: 1925 ship Cotopaxi found near Florida

The SS Cotopaxi went missing in 1925, while traveling from Charleston, South Carolina, to Havana.

The identification of a nearly 100-year-old shipwreck has debunked a popular conspiracy theory: that the Bermuda Triangle was somehow involved with the 1925 disappearance of the SS Cotopaxi. The steam powered bulk carrier never made it to its destination in Havana.

The real cherry on top of the discovery, however, is that the SS Cotopaxi shipwreck isn't even in the Bermuda Triangle, which stretches from Bermuda to Florida to Puerto Rico.

"That's the thing about this Bermuda Triangle — if you actually look at it on a map, most of the stories associated with it aren't even in the boundaries," Michael Barnette, a marine biologist and diver who identified the wreck, told Live Science. "It's total rubbish." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/shipwreck-cotopaxi-bermuda-triangle.html

madmath

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Josh Gates "Expedition Unknown" took another look at the Triangle mystery. The usual hyperbolic language was used that overrode the interesting discoveries.
There's a museum on Bermuda I've wanted to visit, had a display on the various theories.
He dove on the "Bahama road", then worked with people who used sensors that showed it is almost certainly a natural phenomenon.
They sent a balloon with instruments up to 100000 feet, found an anomaly that needs further investigation.
They considered USS Cyclops, where it was noted that not only she but her sisters USS Proteus and Nereus also sank in the Triangle area. The latter losses may be due to German torpedos, though neither was claimed as a target by any U-boat. (Their fourth sister Jupiter became the USN's first dedicated fixed-wing aircraft carrier, renamed USS Langley, eventually sunk by Japanese aircraft.) They also ran a wave tank test that indicated the design was potentially especially vulnerable to "rogue waves", which is an established phenomenon.
More interesting was their discovery underwater of parts possibly from a Mariner aircraft near where a plane was reported to have exploded; this is a known potential flaw of that aircraft design.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... They considered USS Cyclops, where it was noted that not only she but her sisters USS Proteus and Nereus also sank in the Triangle area. The latter losses may be due to German torpedos, though neither was claimed as a target by any U-boat. (Their fourth sister Jupiter became the USN's first dedicated fixed-wing aircraft carrier, renamed USS Langley, eventually sunk by Japanese aircraft.) They also ran a wave tank test that indicated the design was potentially especially vulnerable to "rogue waves", which is an established phenomenon. ...
Yep ... We have a thread dedicated to the Cyclops and her sister ships:

The USS Cyclops & Her Sister Ships
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-uss-cyclops-her-sister-ships.48700/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In an attempt to cure my lockdown ennui, I watched the "World of Mysteries" documentary on The Bermuda Triangle last night. It's fairly lightweight, but does cover pretty well all of the plausible (human error, thunderstorms, methane bubbles, rogue waves, waterspouts etc.) and less plausible (magnetic anomalies, time warps, aliens etc.) hypotheses.
Flight 19 dominates the middle of the documentary and, around the 20 minute mark, the rumour is floated (no pun intended) that flight leader Lieutenant Charles Taylor not only survived ditching his Avenger, but made it ashore to one of the small islands he had mistaken for the Florida Keys. There, sick with remorse for the deaths of his flight crew and fearful of being court martialled, he lived out his life under an assumed identity and married a native Bahamian. There was speculation (citation definitely required) that an elderly unknown man in latter years may have joined the public at the annual 5 December commemoration service for Flight 19 at Fort Lauderdale. Almost certainly bunkum, but a nice twist on the Triangle mythos, which I didn't recall hearing before. I can see Hollywood making that into a movie some time!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Colavito is not impressed.

Review of Forbidden History S06E09 "Mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle"

Picture

Picture

The Bermuda Triangle is a hoax invented by George Sand in Fate magazine in 1952. This fact, however, is the forbidden history that Forbidden History forbids its viewers from learning. I will, however, say that I did not expect this episode to descend into the hellish depths of Ancient Aliens or for one of the stars of that show to make a guest appearance like visiting head of state. This show was always the fringe history and conspiracy theory show, not the alien one. It rarely invoked aliens and instead preferred giants, Templars, and Illuminati. I had expected a dry discussion of famous disappearances, maybe a visit to a stretch of ocean—the kind of stuff all the other Bermuda Triangle shows do all the time. But now, we went full Ancient Aliens. Suddenly, it’s like all of cable fake history is collapsing in on itself toward either a black hole or a singularity where everything becomes Ancient Aliens. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/r...ory-s06e09-mysteries-of-the-bermuda-triangle#