• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

cardinaluk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I remember seeing a TV show years back about a place in the UK where you could visit a cave which you could crawl into and when you reached the farthest you could go, you would speak to a demon and all your fears would dissapear or lessen somewhat.

I remember vague memories of hippy/beatnicks or other like-minded people running the place around the cave, like a campsite or something.

Does anyone know where I'm talking about?

Does anyone know WHAT I'm talking about?

I have no idea what you are talking about but I really like the whole idea and therefore will go googling now. I'd LOVE to speak to a demon...awwww... :likee:

OK, what I came up with is 'Cheddar Gorge', where a model of a demon is placed and made its rounds on the internet, but it is a model only, I couldn't find any stories relating to tell him your problems. Shame... :cry:

Dr_Baltar said:
What do you do if you're scared of caves and/or demons?

LOL, you completely avoid that place of course!!!

Dingo667 said:
I have no idea what you are talking about but I really like the whole idea and therefore will go googling now. I'd LOVE to speak to a demon...awwww... :likee:

Yes, 'cos I've heard that demons are so kind and cuddly. :twisted:

Mythopoeika said:
Dingo667 said:

Yes, 'cos I've heard that demons are so kind and cuddly. :twisted:

They are, you should see the baby ones...sigh... :kiss:

Dr_Baltar said:
What do you do if you're scared of caves and/or demons?

Exactly - I'm claustrophobic as all hell - I'd NEVER go n there! :cry:

Reminds me of this nice piece of creepypasta:

Get on any passenger bus that travels a long distance; Greyhound is usually a good pick. Anything that’s on the road for longer than 24 hours. Get a window seat facing west, then stare at the sun, waiting until sunset. Just before the sun touches the horizon, close your eyes. Hard. Do not turn away, don’t look at anything else. Cover your ears if you have to. After a while, you’ll notice that the bus has stopped moving. That’s the signal that you can open your eyes. When you do, you’ll see a gas station, illuminated only by a few flickering flourescent lights. There will be no sun, no moon, no stars in the sky. The convenience store will have its windows boarded up, but the sign will say ‘Open.’ If you feel you can’t go through with it, get back on the bus, return to your seat, and fall asleep. You’ll wake up at sunrise the next day, well on your way to wherever the bus was going. If you enter the store, the door will slam shut behind you. You will spend an unknown amount of time there, living out your worst nightmares made real. If you survive the ordeal without going mad, you will awake back on the bus, as it reaches its destination. Nothing will ever scare you again. Some say that after this ordeal, anything else simply pales in comparison. Others say that all that room contains, is all the fear you will ever feel in your entire life, and exposing yourself to it all at once keeps you from feeling any more. This, however, can only be done once. There are some exceptions to the ability, as well…

http://www.creepypasta.com/the-abandone ... nce-store/

BTW: Creepypasta is rarely mentioned around here ...

Sounds very similar in style to The Holders stories (which I first encountered via creepypasta).

Years ago there was this channel 4 series about this guy researching different beliefs and faiths. In it he went down into this cave in Britain where he'd been told he'd meet the ghost of this witch who would help him with his life. Now this bloke was very level headed, and the expected reaction was that he'd say he felt a creepy atmosphere, little more. But no; to my amazement he came out of the cave shaking, saying his life had been changed and that he'd seen the witch. But what was worse was that he couldn't describe the experience other than that it had really affected him. I wish I could remember the bloody show. Was in the mid-late nineties.

I guarantee that there's a phenomena-nerd somewhere on this board who'll know what programme that was, and may even have a much-played, grainy old video of it on the shelf next to their neatly bound sets of Unexplained magazines. 8)

Escargot - you're so naughty!
Thank God for those nerds, eh? :)
I just bought an old book produced by Unexplained magazine, about ghosts. It's ace. It was a good, level-headed mag in hindsight, wasn't it?

Years ago there was this channel 4 series about this guy researching different beliefs and faiths. In it he went down into this cave in Britain where he'd been told he'd meet the ghost of this witch who would help him with his life. Now this bloke was very level headed, and the expected reaction was that he'd say he felt a creepy atmosphere, little more. But no; to my amazement he came out of the cave shaking, saying his life had been changed and that he'd seen the witch. But what was worse was that he couldn't describe the experience other than that it had really affected him. I wish I could remember the bloody show. Was in the mid-late nineties.

Yes that HAS to be it. Calling all Channel 4 nostalgia people can you help me find out the show?

Ta,.

I need to meet that witch. I've got a few things I need to sort out with her.

Long Barrow?

I have decided that the cave could be a Long Barrow - so I have done a bit of research on it but still not found anything!

If you do find the cave i suggest you take along a shotgun and chainsaw..just to be safe. :twisted:

I am that nerd and I hereby claim my nerd hat!!

Pete McCarthy's "In Search of Something" Channel 4, mid 90's can't give you the year but I believe I had beans that night.

And a pie.

Babylon 5 was on!

EDIT There were complaints against it. Aired on 25/10/98

If it is this program but I do believe it is!

Damn I really want to see this now. There are various clips on YouTube (search "Pete McCarthy Desperately seeking something") but I can't seem to find this one.

I started watching these clips, and they're really interesting. The clip with the cave is part 17, but Pete first meets with the folks at Spirit Horse in part 16.

Very interesting. There is a perceptible change in tone - perhaps the editing, perhaps not - in the interactions between the guide-chap and Pete McCarthy after his experience in the cave - the reserve, apprehensiveness and slight cynicism seem to have evaporated - look how enthused he is with his choice of stones in the next scene.

It's also, perhaps, significant that when he emerges from the cave he uses a slight circumlocution: If I told you that I had an encounter with a witch [...] you may not believe me - or words to that effect. He does subsequently mention a 'she', but I thought it (frustratingly) noteworthy that he doesn't say directly that he did.

Okay, next challenge.

I remember watching a Channel 4 programme in (I'd guess) the mid to late 90s. That I recall it involved lots of night-time trips on buses and camper vans to megalithic sites such as barrows, stone circles and fairy rings - and it had a quite trippy soundtrack with lots of Planet Dog-era electronic and ambient music.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Impybat: thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it.

A bump for the interesting video in Post#19

(Which I have just repaired)

Back