• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Cold War Isn't Over

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Full story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and ... 442223.stm

Ten arrested in US on charges of spying for Russia

Ten people have been arrested in the US for allegedly spying for the Russian government.

The US Department of Justice said they were held for allegedly carrying out "long-term, 'deep-cover' assignments" on US soil.

They have been charged with conspiracy to act as unlawful agents of a foreign government, a crime which carries up to five years in prison.

An 11th suspect remains at large, according to justice officials.

The alleged agents were trained by the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) and sent to the US to infiltrate policy-making circles and collect information, according to court papers filed in US District Court for the southern district of New York.

The BBC's Kim Ghattas says it is a story of Cold War era espionage with the tools and technology of the 21st Century.

Some of them had been living in the country under false identities since the early 1990s, using codes and and engaging in advanced computer operations, including posting apparently innocent pictures on the internet which contained detailed texts, investigators say.

The FBI also reported observing older techniques, such as money being buried next to a beer-bottle marker and "brush pasts" in parks.

"You were sent to USA for long-term service trip," says one purported message to two of the suspects that was intercepted by US intelligence. "Your education, bank accounts, car, house etc - all these serve one goal: fulfil your main mission, ie to search and develop ties in policymaking circles in US and send intels..."

I thought the Cold War was over? Does this mean the U.S. are doing the same in Russia or are they really still the bad guys in the Russian secret service? This eighties nostalgia is getting out of hand. No wonder there are still Numbers Stations in operation.

The cold war is over - I'm pretty sure of that.

But spying goes on eternal - even between "friendly" nations - nothing new there.

For these operatives to stick with their undercover missions for well nigh twenty years is just nuts. To an ostensibly friendly country too! They sure are dedicated in the spy game, something like that would drive most people round the bend. Was that how they were caught?

It's interesting that the arrests have been publicised.

However,

"You were sent to USA for long-term service trip," says one purported message to two of the suspects that was intercepted by US intelligence.

"Your education, bank accounts, car, house etc - all these serve one goal: fulfil your main mission, ie to search and develop ties in policymaking circles in US and send intels."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and ... 442223.stm

I don't believe for five seconds that a handler would ever send a message so blunt to an agent in the field, in code or otherwise. Restatement of incriminating and already known facts is an absurd and unnecessary risk. There's something fishy with what the American government is trying to sell; that or we're dealing with Clouseau-esque spies.

Given the effortless way many operatives in Russia's pre-glasnost/perestroika intelligence community rapidly transferred their loyalties to the great god of capitalism I'm wondering - if there is any substance to the story - if maybe it has more to do with industrial espionage than old-school, cold-war style spying.

For these operatives to stick with their undercover missions for well nigh twenty years is just nuts.

Depends what the pay is like i guess. Maybe the Russian govt turned their own boys in to save on redundancy money. :lol:

You don´t need a war to be spying. I certainly hope the US has many spies in place in Russia too. Even industrial espionage could be arranged by foreign governments, didn´t Japan often do this?

For what it's worth, Russia have now denied all knowledge of their actions (yeah, like in Mission Impossible). So who do we believe?

obamas popularity on the slide

what do you do ? find some russians lol

this focuses ppl attention to what positive things the govenments doing
aparently they had been following them for years so im sceptical as to why they decided to do this now ....

This is baffling. The US authorities could have kept this quiet and not made a fuss.
Something's afoot!

Mythopoeika said:
This is baffling. The US authorities could have kept this quiet and not made a fuss.
Something's afoot!

I'm not really with you there. They had a success in the security department and are crowing about it. Other than stopping the oil spill or finding Osama Bin Laden, that's the best story they could have at the moment.

Zilch5 said:
Mythopoeika said:
Something's afoot!

I'm not really with you there. They had a success in the security department and are crowing about it. Other than stopping the oil spill or finding Osama Bin Laden, that's the best story they could have at the moment.

God, we had Tiger Woods on the cover of the paper for a week and a half a few months ago.

:oops:

Anyway, this is a strange story and the transmission is blunt and overly obvious. That's the weirdest part of it all. I grew up near where a few of these alleged spys live, and let me just say I had a couple of neighbors that I would bet money on were doing the same thing back in the early 80's.

Its getting madder. This sounds like something from a bad novel or film:

Russian agents were provided with coded messages before they met each other. For example, Richard Murphy was told that the man scheduled to give him a fake Irish passport in the name of Eunan Gerard Doherty in Rome last February would approach him with the words, “Excuse me, could we have met in Malta in 1999?” Murphy was instructed to reply: “Yes indeed, I was in La Valetta, but in 2000.” As a further precaution, Murphy was instructed to hold a Time magazine in such a way that the title could be seen from the outside. If he held it in his left hand, it was a sign of danger.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 22150.html

FBI says spy travelled on false Irish passport

LARA MARLOWE in Washington

Wed, Jun 30, 2010

A RUSSIAN spy who lived in New Jersey under the assumed name “Richard Murphy” travelled from Rome to Moscow on a false Irish passport in the name of “Eunan Gerard Doherty” last February, according to an affidavit filed by the FBI in Manhattan on Monday.

The journey was one of many twists in a vast spy saga worthy of a John Le Carré novel. The purpose of Murphy’s trip was to carry a computer he purchased in Manhattan to Rome and on to Milan and Moscow for programming. He brought the computer back to the US for use by another Russian agent.

Spokesmen for the FBI and Department of Justice said they could provide no further information on the US of Irish identity papers in the most stunning espionage case since the Cold War.

US authorities arrested 10 alleged spies who were deeply embedded in American life in Montclair, New Jersey; Yonkers, New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Arlington, Virginia and Seattle, Washington on Sunday night. Eight of the Russian agents lived as married couples, and two of the couples were raising children.

“We do not understand what prompted the US Justice Department to make a public statement in the spirit of Cold War espionage,” the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on its website yesterday, calling the arrests “baseless and improper”. The statement implied that the “incident” was intended to sabotage the improving relations between Washington and Moscow.

The alleged spies communicated with Moscow Centre – as the SVR or former KGB is called in the court documents – using codes and ciphers. Their tools included laptop computers that transmitted files between a Manhattan coffee shop and a Washington restaurant to vehicles parked outside. They posted and downloaded data encrypted within images on the internet – a technique known as “steganography” – and exchanged Morse code-like radio bursts. etc
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 22136.html

What kind of accents were the spies using?! I don't even know what a Russian-Irish accent would sound like.

..very reminiscent of Helen Mirren's Russian / Geordie accent in White Nights :).

I wonder if any of the arrestees were wearing trench coats and sunglasses at the time? I agree, the whole thing just sounds ludicrously contrived, for whatever reason.

Tangent.

When my brother, who was in the Royal Engineers, was serving in Ulster he was often required to go off on jobs alone and unprotected. In these cases he was dressed in civvies but he was told by an instructor, who also advised special forces on such matters, that under NO circumstances was he to attempt an Irish accent, whatever the situation.

The instructors reasoning: Relatively few people in Northern Ireland actually wanted to kill Brits for the sake of it - whereas the sound of a mangled accent drove every single Irishman to murder.

Madam, – I am reading with increasing shock the misuse of Irish passports by the spy rings of the world. Not that they are choosing Irish identities, but that they are managing to get a passport at all. My own application, lodged on the May 17th resides somewhere in limbo in the London passport office which is unreachable by phone.

Is my best route to head to Tel Aviv and find a supplier there? But of course I can’t. I have no passport. – Yours, etc,

GERRY CARR,

Randolph Avenue,

London,

England.
http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index ... 4273896147

There´s a new movie coming out called Salt, starring Angelina Jolie as a CIA agent who is a Russian spy. Interesting timing.

Gardaí question Donegal man whose passport details were used by 'spy'
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 35560.html
KATE HEANEY

Mon, Jul 05, 2010

A DONEGAL man has been interviewed by Garda detectives after it emerged his passport details were used by one of the alleged Russian spies arrested in the US.

Eunan Gerard Doherty, from Ballyloskey, Carndonagh, was unwilling to comment yesterday on the possible misuse of his passport, but he confirmed he had travelled to Moscow on holiday.

The part-time fireman said no one had confirmed to him that his passport, or a copy of it, was used by a man known as Richard Murphy, who was arrested in New Jersey last week as a Russian spy.

A Garda source confirmed yesterday that Mr Doherty had been interviewed in relation to his passport.

When contacted yesterday Mr Doherty said he was not making any comment. “I am waiting to have a meeting tomorrow. I have a lot of questions that need to be answered.”

A local source said that, before Mr Doherty travelled to Moscow, his passport was sent to the Russian embassy in Dublin to secure the necessary visa. It is believed he travelled to Russia in 2005.

Richard Murphy, who was arrested in New Jersey together with his wife Cynthia, was born in Philadelphia and lived in New Jersey. He claimed he was instructed to use the false Irish passport, according to details contained in documents released by the US justice department.

The documents say Mr Murphy flew from Newark airport to Rome in February, where he was instructed to collect an Irish passport in the name of Eunan Gerard Doherty before flying on to Moscow.

The 10 alleged spies have been charged with carrying out deep-cover work in the US to recruit political sources and gather information for the Russian government.

The passport was described as an old “transit passport”.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it had learned that one of the people arrested was alleged to have travelled on a forged Irish passport.

A spokesman said it was seeking more information on the allegations.

A statement said the firm position of the Government on the fraudulent use of Irish passports was a matter of public record.

Earlier, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said he was awaiting an explanation on the arrests.

In a statement, the US justice department said the suspects had been arrested following an investigation lasting several years.

Full story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and ... 564994.stm

Washington has announced the successful completion of its biggest spy swap with Russia since the Cold War.

Ten Russian agents were flown to Vienna hours after they admitted in a US court to being agents for a foreign country.

A Russian jet carrying four prisoners freed by Russia arrived around the same time.

The American plane later flew on to a UK air base, where several people were seen getting off, while the Russian aircraft flew to Moscow.

Television pictures from Vienna showed the two aircraft parked side by side on the runway. Covered aircraft stairs were brought up to both planes and none of the agents could be seen being transferred.

A swap at the airport would mean that no-one had officially entered the country...

All friends again. So Russia were like "Oh, THOSE spies, yeah, sure, if you want to send them over, then..."

And America were like "You could send back some of ours? Good of you to offer! So lovely to do business with you!"

Ridiculous, really.

Russian spy deported from US turns out for astronaut send-off
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 99218.html

BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan – Russian spy Anna Chapman has come out of the shadows to wave off astronauts at a launch pad in Kazakhstan, her first appearance at a public event since the United States deported her in July.

Chapman, whose glamorous lifestyle as a spy in the US turned her into a media sensation, watched a rocket blast off with two Russian cosmonauts and a US astronaut to the International Space Station.

Appearing briefly in jeans and red coat at the launch site in the Kazakh steppe, Chapman refused to answer reporters’ questions at a farewell ceremony for Russians Alexander Kaleri and Oleg Skripochka and Scott Kelly from the US.

The Russian rocket blasted off on schedule at 0511 local time on Friday.– (Reuters)

Russian spies may have used six Irish passports
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 78945.html
MARY FITZGERALD and GERRY MORIARTY

Tue, Oct 12, 2010

THE GARDA is investigating how six Irish passports may have been fraudulently used by members of a Russian spy ring uncovered in the US this summer.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin yesterday described as “disturbing” allegations that data from several Irish passports had been cloned. But he stressed that the investigation is ongoing. “Any story that involves the compromising and undermining of our passports security . . . and in any shape or form steals the identity of Irish citizens is a matter of deep concern and is disturbing,” Mr Martin said.

“I think we have more work to do to ascertain the exact nature of what has been going on here. Our passport offices are in contact with the gardaí who are obviously receiving information in relation to this and I think from our perspective we want to get more information before we comment further,” he added.

Mr Martin said the Russian embassy was “aware of our concerns” although he would not comment on whether the Government had made direct representations to the embassy. A spokesman for the Russian embassy said it had not been contacted by the Irish authorities about the matter.

A parliamentary question relating to the issue is to be raised in the Dáil today.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said it was made aware of the allegations by a third source, which other sources have confirmed is the US. “Once we have the facts the Minister will report to the Government on this matter,” he said.

The spokesman added that there was no difference between the Government’s approach to these allegations and its approach earlier this year to claims that forged Irish passports were used by suspects in the assassination of a senior Hamas official in Dubai. “Any evidence of abuse would be of the highest level of concern for the Government,” the department spokesman said.

An investigation into the latter case concluded that Israel was likely to have been responsible for cloning the eight Irish passports implicated. An official at the Israeli embassy in Dublin was expelled as a gesture of protest.

US investigators broke up the Russian espionage ring in June with the arrest of 10 people in New York, Boston, New Jersey and Virginia. All 10, who were later deported as part of a spy swap deal with Russia, admitted conspiring to act as unregistered foreign agents.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy said gardaí were working closely with their US counterparts as part of the investigation, which, he added, has been ongoing for some time.

Last week gardaí informed a female volunteer with the Irish charity To Russia With Love, which works with orphans across Russia, that her passport had been compromised. It is not known how or where the passport was accessed.

Debbie Deegan, the charity’s managing director, has been invited to a meeting with the Russian ambassador today. A spokesman for the Russian embassy said the Russian government held the charity in high esteem. “We confirm our respect for, and very good relations with, Ms Deegan and her organisation,” he told said. “We will continue those very good relations.”

In July, Eunan Gerard Doherty, from Carndonagh, Co Donegal, was interviewed by gardaí after it emerged his passport details had been implicated.

Documents released by the US justice department claim that one of the 10 spies, who used the assumed name Richard Murphy, flew to Rome last February where he was instructed to collect a forged Irish passport in the name of Eunan Gerard Doherty before flying on to Moscow.

Mr Doherty had travelled to Russia on holiday in 2005. It is understood his wife Maureen has been told that her passport may also have been compromised.

Most of the passports being investigated are believed to pre-date the new security-enhanced passport introduced in 2005.

Russian spies receive top Kremlin honours - reports
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11568323

Anna Chapman, one of the 10 Russian spies deported from the US. File photo Anna Chapman, one of the 10 spies, made a surprise public appearance earlier this month

President Dmitry Medvedev has handed top state honours to Russian spies deported from the US earlier this year, reports say.

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted a presidential spokeswoman as saying the spies received the awards at a ceremony in the Kremlin.

Ten spies had admitted in a US court to being agents for a foreign country.
Continue reading the main story
Russia Spy Row

* US and Russia in airport spy swap
* Russia spies plead guilty in US
* 'Russian spy suspect was my wife'
* Spy suspect 'missing' in Cyprus

Moscow then agreed to exchange four US spies for the Russian agents and the swap was carried out in Vienna in July.

It was America's biggest spy swap with Russia since the Cold War.
Keeping low profile

"A ceremony took place in the Kremlin today to hand top state honours to a number of Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) employees, including the spies who were working in the United States and returned to Russia in July," Kremlin spokeswoman Natalya Timakova was quoted by Interfax on Monday.

She did not provide any further details. It was not immediately clear whether the whole group received the awards.

The Kremlin has so far not released any television footage or pictures of the ceremony.

In July, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin revealed that he had met the 10 agents, claiming they were living "tough lives" and had been "betrayed".

Mr Putin told journalists that he had sung Soviet-era patriotic songs with the spies.

He did not say where the meeting took place.

All the agents have been keeping low profiles since their return to Russia.

However earlier this month, spy Anna Chapman - whose provocative photos from social-networking sites made her a media sensation - made a surprise public appearance during a launch of Russia's spacecraft at a cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

Russian 'double agent' named by Moscow newspaper
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11734424
By Steve Rosenberg BBC News, Moscow

Anna Chapman, one of the 10 Russian spies deported from the US. File photo Anna Chapman, one of the 10 spies expelled, made a surprise public appearance in October
Continue reading the main story
Russia Spy Row

* US and Russia in airport spy swap
* Russia spies plead guilty in US
* 'Russian spy suspect was my wife'
* Spy suspect 'missing' in Cyprus

A newspaper in Moscow has named the Russian intelligence agent it claims helped America break up a Russian spy ring last summer.

The paper, Kommersant, says a Col Shcherbakov of the Russian foreign intelligence agency had been working for the Americans.

Ten Russian sleeper agents were arrested and sent back home, in the biggest spy swap since the Cold War.

It was the biggest US-Russian spy scandal since the end of the Cold War.

Col Shcherbakov had a senior role in Russia's foreign intelligence agency, Kommersant says; his job: to plant moles in the United States, secret agents deep under cover.

But at some point the colonel changed sides.

Quoting intelligence sources, the newspaper says Col Shcherbakov fled to America in June, just three days before President Dmitry Medvedev's official visit to the US.

A few days after that, once the Russian president was back in the Kremlin, the Russian agents were seized.
Promotion 'shunned'

A year before the spy scandal, Col Shcherbakov had reportedly been offered a promotion at work, but had turned it down, to avoid having to take a lie detector test.

Col Shcherbakov's bosses - the newspaper claims - had overlooked the fact the colonel's own daughter had been living in America for years.

Kommersant quotes an unidentified Kremlin official as suggesting that a Russian hit squad was already planning to kill the colonel.

The Kremlin source predicted Shcherbakov would spend the rest of his life fearing retribution.

A spokesman for Russia's foreign intelligence agency refused to comment on the newspaper report.

Wha...?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/12098867

Ex-spy Anna Chapman gets lion cub on Russian TV

Former Russian spy Anna Chapman has been presented with a lion cub on Russian state-run TV.

Ms Chapman, who was deported from the US earlier this year, was the main guest of the "Let Them Talk" show.

The 28-year-old would not be drawn on her intelligence career but she said her favourite Bond was Sean Connery.

She also said her dream was to have a lion cub for a while, before it became dangerous, at which point one was brought into the studio.

It is not known if Ms Chapman took the cub home that evening or where the former spy would keep the animal, but she said she would call him Nano.

The Channel One show resembles the American and British TV programmes "This Is Your Life", and it featured Ms Chapman's relatives, childhood friends and teachers sharing their memories of the redhead.

One of her school friends recalled how she once vowed to marry a British man and move to the United Kingdom - a wish that came true when she married Briton Alex Chapman in 2002...

Hey, become a spy and be a celebrity! Looks like a lot of people still really enjoy the idea of the Cold War.

The show ended with the audience singing a patriotic song from a Soviet-era spy movie, which Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is reported to have sung when he met the 10 agents after their deportation.

...including a certain Russian Prime Minister.

Coming to a TV near you!

Celeeebrrittty Spiiieeees

With your host, the worse Bond ever, Piiiiers Brrrrrosnan

*edited for comdedy value

**allegedly

***edited a second time for realising Piers Morgan wasn't Bond - Remember, it's new year already, somewhere

Ireland expels Russian envoy over faked spy passports
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12337897

Last June, a network of Russian spies living as US citizens was uncovered. Several had Irish passports

Related Stories

* Russian spies 'get state honours'
* 'To Russia with love via Dublin'
* History repeats itself as farce

Ireland is expelling a Russian diplomat over claims his country's intelligence services counterfeited Irish passports.

A police investigation found the identities of six Irish citizens were used as cover for Russian spies found to have been working in the US, said an Irish foreign ministry statement.

Such activities were "completely unacceptable", the ministry said.

In response, the unnamed diplomat "has been asked to leave this jurisdiction", it said, without specifying a date.

The ministry said it was "regrettable" that the action was necessary, but that the behaviour of the Russian intelligence service was not what the Irish government "would expect from a country with which we have friendly relations".

Last June, a network of 10 Russian spies living as US citizens was uncovered - with several using Irish passports. They were swiftly deported as part of the biggest US-Russia spy swap since the Cold War.

The case attracted ridicule in some quarters - "their penetration of the American establishment seems not to have got much beyond attending parent-teacher associations and posing on Facebook", as the BBC's Paul Reynolds put it.

Nevertheless, the Russian government remained bullish over the incident, handing down awards to the 10 at a ceremony at the Kremlin last October.

Back