• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Sorry to be soooo far behind on the drag curve on this one but I'd like to post my view on this subject.

The photo was taken not far from where the Blue Streak ballistic missile was being tested. Similar tests were being undertaken at Woomera which is where, if my memory serves me correctly, is where the same 'spaceman' was seen although the film in which he appears is 'mysteriously' missing from the PRO. So we have a connection 2 locations, same activities going on, which were hush hush to say the least.

RAF crews who looked after liquid-fuelled missiles at the time used all in one protective suits to keep off the Kerosene and HTP. They looked like flame-retardant suits albeit white. It follows that anyone working on Blue Streak, which also used Kerosene as fuel, would use the most up to date protection around which would be these all-in-ones. Thus, a similar suit was around in Cumbria and Woomera.

In the pic, someone said that the spaceman was leaning into the wind, if someone in a suit was stood there, then the bit behind would billow out giving a 'stuffed' look not dissimilar to the pic.

Now the question is, why would someone in a protective suit be out on the moor? Difficult to say but if he was there for a legitimate reason (say a fault with Blue Streak - highly likely) in the paranoid cold war atmosphere the RAF would have wanted no mention of anything about it getting out.

Just a thought............................:spinning

Aye. Good conjecture A.B.
2 things though....

1; THe pic from Woomera can be, (for the most of it) regarded as non-existant.
2; The figure isn't in fact leaning into the wind. The photograph is at an odd angle to the horizon. (About 3 minutes to 12 Oclock).

I still think the photo' just looked odd and they played on it. (Like yer do....:D)

Very late coming into this, hadn't seen the pic for years...lots of interesting views but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the length of the girls head...it's HUGE! Her forehead must be one and a half times the size of her face...looks to me like the picture has been stretched..to what ends I don't know, but added to the strange angle seems to me somethings been doctored somewhere.

The size of her forehead is relative to the perspective of the photograph. The closest part of her head apears to be the fringe of her hair which means that you can see both sides giving you a deceiving view. The picture could be regarded as a playground of deceptive effects.

OT:

It just struck me that the girl in the photo must be about 44 by now. I bet she's utterly sick of seeing the picture.

Could be worse, she could have been in the bath when it happened, then it'd be like those terrible photos your photos bring down to show your newest partner.

toolofthestate said:
Could be worse, she could have been in the bath when it happened, then it'd be like those terrible photos your photos bring down to show your newest partner.
lol! Sorry...I know it was a typo' but it looks funny. (We know you meant "Parents". :)

*looks about shiftily* yes, I mean parents, of course. I mean, photos bringing down photos... perposterous *shifty look #2* Don't tell no-one!

In a TV documentary about this a few years ago (maybe the Jenny Randles one?), the grown up little girl was never interviewed, just the parents, so I guess she's not interested.

Just thought I would bump this thread after noticing that the piece on page 29 of FT196 doesn't mention any of the ideas discussed here.

I went a bit further and e-mailed the link to the page I made illustrating Niles' point to the NUFON address.

http://www.geocities.com/theysawthem/th ... d_man.html

I've also finally added the spectacular picures taken by Giichi Shiota that I mentioned in the opening post. They really are worth a look.

Yahooooo!!!!! My pics are on that site..
Thanks for that link! At last! I've found my pics.....I had forgotten to save them to disc when I reformatted. Cheers for that mate ;)

Justin Anstey said:
Just thought I would bump this thread after noticing that the piece on page 29 of FT196 doesn't mention any of the ideas discussed here.

I went a bit further and e-mailed the link to the page I made illustrating Niles' point to the NUFON address.

http://www.geocities.com/lab_lav/the_cu ... d_man.html

I've also finally added the spectacular picures taken by Giichi Shiota that I mentioned in the opening post. They really are worth a look.

Still, that would of have to been a GIANT man. Those are plains, that area is a flat marshy area with plains stretching for miles. Thats not a small hill people, the end of the grass is a good few hundred yards off and that makes our man a couple hundred feet tall.

But, I admit theres a small chance it could of been a man jogging by (if my distance judging is wayyyyyy----off that is) and the photographer probably didnt have any memory of a person running by, why would they? But the thing is, the stranger person is jogging by with a helmet across thier yard which is in an incredibly remote location. I dunno

I think there is a bit of a slope behind the girl. She's sitting on the ground and the picture appears to have been taken down at her level. If it were all flat back there wouldn't the horizon be lower?

Is it noted anywhere whether or not Jim Templeton was crouching when he took the picture?

I have always thought it was just someone stood behind the little girl with their back to the person taking the pic.Its the angle that makes them look a bit odd

I dont think he is that tall

imag00005gy.jpg

I think the person that was taking the photo was bending down or crouching.The background slopes up slightly.

Ah, nice one Chez. That pic makes it seem much more relative. I agree that he does not seem so tall

It really does just look to me as if a guy has come into view and is in the motions of jogging past. Alternatively, he is resting his right hand on his hip and about to put his left hand toward his mouth - maybe to bite something or take a puff on a ciggy?!

No idea!

Has anyone ever thought that the bloke in the background could be simply riding a bike past? One handed with the other hand on his hip, like you do? I know the terrain isn't perfectly suitable for this, but it still happens. Afterall...the young lass is sat on the grass so it can't be that crap.
*Hmmm...goes on Adobe to illustrate*
Watch this space. Maybe it'll be a laugh at least! :D

I would've thought you'd have been able to see a bit of the bike though, unless they were cycling straight at the girl and photographer, in which case they probably would've noticed them before, during, or after the shot.

"Well, there was no-one around, oh, apart that guy on the bike with a spacesuit on .." :)

No no no no....The figure isn't heading towards the photographer and lass at all!
And the bike is obscured! Gi' me a few mins so I can mock the pic up and put it on a site...
*The space suit is an illusion!*

Here it is, after fighting with the bloody pagebuilder for an hour!
tgcopyright.jpg

I see your point there, as far as i remember the story behind the photo though they weren't aware of anyone being there when the photo was taken, you would think they'd have heard someone on a bike going past them?

[edit]could be possible that they did notice them, but didn't think anything of it and then didn't remember when the photo's were developed

Sometimes, when you are taking a photo,you are to busy focusing on the person/object you are taking the pic of and you dont see stuff in the background

Only way we can know for sure how tall he was, is to re-create that scene. Someone find that little girl (I'm sure shes still the same size) and I'll wear a full-body spandex suit and I'll bring a bicycle, etc.. Someone wanna pack some sandwiches? jima or chez1807 you guys bring sandwiches. Emperor, can you help me find a full-body spandex suit somewhere that I can get a good deal on it? Like I said, the only way we can solve this mystery is to re-create the scene...

Sadly, that little girl is now 44 years old or something, and is about fifteen feet tall due to her head.
We could use the average sized 20 year old *As the then 6 year old was roughly five foot eight, due to her head* ...and you could use a bike and a white PVC coat with a hood on it and possibly there's one of those rope handled rucksacks on its back too.
Then all that's left to do is to photograph it, talk bollocks about no cyclists or anything in the background and rockets and shit for thirty odd years, and tell the 20 year old to shut up for the rest of her life.
Solved.
(Oh yeah, don't forget to shoot the picture at an odd angle for no reason at all!)
;)

chez1807 said:
I have always thought it was just someone stood behind the little girl with their back to the person taking the pic.Its the angle that makes them look a bit odd
That's exactly what it looks like, particularly if you look at the angle of the "left arm". It also explains the lack of a face, if you are actually looking at the back of a head.

I always thought it looked like a woman /or man... in a white coat and hat facing away... the photographer has lined up with the girl's position and not the horizon

Never thought it was very Fortean

Back