• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

I can't find a general Doomsday / Apocalypse thread so I'm starting one up.

Space Rock or Last Pope? What's Next for Doomsday
http://www.space.com/19851-doomsday-pre ... eroid.html
by Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer
Date: 19 February 2013 Time: 11:09 AM ET
i
Is the next Pope the last before the apocalypse? Some writings, though discredited, would suggest yes. Regardless of validity, doomsday predictions abound, including end-of-world dates set for 2020, 2040, 2060 and 2080.
CREDIT: sdecoret | Shutterstock

Y2K? A bust. Judgment Day 2011? As quiet as a mouse. The Mayan apocalypse? Certainly not now.

As they have throughout history, failed doomsday predictions come and go. But with the Pope resigning, an asteroid whizzing near the planet Friday (Feb. 15) and a completely unrelated space rock exploding over Russia, it seems a good time to ask: What's next?

Plenty, as it turns out. Previous failures have in no way shut down doomsday predictors, and dates are set for possible apocalypses in 2020, 2040, 2060 and 2080 (zeros have an appeal, apparently). One of these doomsdays was even predicted by Sir Isaac Newton himself.

"It's clear that these kinds of scenarios return over and over and over again," said John Hoopes, an archaeologist at the University of Kansas who has studied doomsday predictions.

The end is nigh

Doomsday prophecies date back thousands of years. The ancient Persians kicked off the hobby of apocalypse predicting in the Western world, Saint Joseph's University professor Allen Kerkeslager told LiveScience in December 2012. When the Zoroastrian Persians conquered the ancient Jews, they passed their end-of-the-world beliefs into Jewish culture, which subsequently handed them to Christianity. Now, everyone from Protestant preachers like Harold Camping, who predicted Armageddon in 2011, to UFO cultists and New Age mystics occasionally jump on the doomsday train.

The most recent apocalypse prediction was tied to the Mayan calendar, even though actual Mayans and scholars who study ancient Maya culture pointed out repeatedly that the calendar was never meant to predict the end of the world. The appointed day (Dec. 21, 2012) came and went without fire and brimstone.

But failures haven't stopped aspiring doomsday prophets in the past. In one of the most notorious apocalypse failures ever, American Baptist preacher William Miller predicted the return of Jesus Christ on March 21, 1844. Nothing happened, so Miller and his followers revised the prediction to Oct. 22. When that day, too, passed without incident, it was dubbed the Great Disappointment. [Oops! 11 Failed Doomsday Predictions]

Likewise, Camping predicted the Rapture three times in 1994 before his 2011 predictions.

The Pope's doomsday

So it should come as no surprise that doomsday believers have plenty of dates to fixate on in the future. Friday's ultimately harmless asteroid flyby may trigger more anxiety about world-ending asteroid impacts in the near future, Hoopes told LiveScience. A Friday morning meteor explosion that shattered windows and injured more than 1,000 in Russia is likely to do the same.

The surprise announcement of the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI last week has also triggered doomsday chatter.

In 1595, a Benedictine monk published a series of prophecies he claimed came straight from the pen of a 12th-century archbishop, Saint Malachy. The prophecies are short phrases, each said by future interpreters to match up with a particular pope. For example, the phrase "out of the guardian goose" has been linked to Pope Alexander III (1159-1181), because his family coat of arms sported an image of a goose.

Pope John Paul II (1978-2005) is said to match the 110th phrase on the list, "from the labor of the sun," because he was born and entombed on days when there were solar eclipses. That makes Benedict XVI number 111, "the glory of the olive." A monastic order founded by the saint from whom Benedict took his name has a branch known as the Olivetans, though Benedict himself is not one of them.

Here's where the prophecies — which are completely discredited by the Catholic Church and suspected to be forgeries — get fun. Line 112 reads, "In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will sit Peter the Roman, who will nourish the sheep in many tribulations; when they are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The end." [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]

So is the next Pope the last before the apocalypse? History may not bear out any doomsday predictions, but prognosticators such as Thomas Horn and Cris Putnam, authors of "Petrus Romanus: The Final Pope is Here" (Defender, 2012) certainly think this one has legs. The theory has the advantage of involving the Catholic Church, an institution often accused of conspiracy. Conspiracy theories are often a component of popular doomsday theories, Hoopes said.

Successful predictions have to "hook into some deeper fears," he said.

Any day now

If the Pope prophecies don't pan out, there's plenty more to see. Numerologists have placed bets on both 2040 and 2080, interpretations that come from the Jewish text the Talmud and the Islamic holy book the Quran.

Psychic Jeane Dixon, who became famous through her newspaper astrology column and who often touted herself as having predicted John F. Kennedy's assassination, claimed that Armageddon would come in 2020. But though Dixon did occasionally make predictions that seemed to pan out, she was frequently wrong, as a 1980 article in the Lakeland Ledger pointed out. For example, Dixon predicted that Fidel Castro's days were numbered in 1968 (Castro is still alive and remained in office until 2011). She also said the two-party system of government would vanish from the United States by 1978, which would come as news to today's Democrats and Republicans.

Dixon, who died in 1997, was so famous that Temple University mathematician John Allen Paulos named the phenomenon of someone advertising correct predictions while ignoring many more failed ones the "Jeane Dixon effect."

But Dixon's fame has nothing on Sir Isaac Newton, the famed mathematician who figured out the principals of gravity. Newton had a side interest in apocalypse speculation, it turns out. A devout Christian, Newton was wary of human fallibility in interpreting prophecies, according to Stephen Snobelen of the University of King's College in Nova Scotia, who has researched Newton's writings. But he did muse in private about the date of doomsday, adding up important Biblical numbers to arrive at 2060.

On the other hand, Newton would not have wanted a reputation as a doomsday predictor, Snobelen wrote in a statement. In his musing on 2060, Newton wrote, "It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail."

This story was provided by SPACE.com, a sister site to LiveScience. Follow Stephanie Pappas on Twitter @sipappas or LiveScience @livescience. We're also on Facebook & Google+.

Seeing as we all survived the Mayan Calendar End of the World, we should all be experts on this.

I am a bit wary regarding the Petrus Romanus thing but will probably have a bet at Ladbrokes based on Malachy's prediction as soon as the runners are announced. Peter is 4-1 favourite though. Not good odds.

As long as we're talking Doomsday stuff, I'll present a theory from a family friend.

He is a devout Christian and believes that when the rapture occurs, he and others will vanish into thin air. That part is not new. But, he believes the Governments of the World (certainly they aren't to be included in the rapture and will remain here with the rest of us) will explain this mass disappearance to the World by essentially blaming the UFO phenomena and aliens. "Full disclosure" will take place only after the rapture. This is his theory.

Dont forget It's the end of the world as we know it by R.E.M.,it wasn't but no one ever challenges Stipey about it.
I take a reductionist view, an important element of apocalyptic cults is the idea that 'we' the special ones are going to be saved, but the unbelievers are doomed, sometimes to suffer torment and suffering,which is nice of them.
Putting to one side the sometime tortuous interpretation of biblical or ancient texts to support these prophecies, it looks more like simple spite,an all too human failing. :(
As a side issue,every Illuminati/New World Order website I have seen quotes Light Bearers of Darkness by Christina Stoddard.
According to the website of the Hermetic Order of the Golden dawn, Stoddard based the book on papers she collected about the Golden Dawn, thus the paranoia about world government are based on the mystical doings of a fairly harmless bunch of occultists. :D

Apocalypse Now: Man Builds Underground Doomsday RV Resort

A San Diego man is building what is believed to be the world's largest subterranean doomsday resort—with amenities such as a wine bar, golf course, spa and dance floor for those waiting out the end of the world.

Construction for the 2 million-square-foot bunker is underway in the limestone caves of Atchison, Kan., where an apocalypse-adverse family in a 20-foot RV can seek shelter for a $20,000 fee (plus the cost of food).

"Hopefully, it will never be needed, but if it is, it will be priceless," builder Robert Vicino told ABC News.

The massive complex will sit 130 feet underground and will be sealed with two-foot-thick steel and concrete doors. Vicino, who described the project as an "underground cruise ship," said he plans to open the resort before the apocalypse so that guests can enjoy the amenities.

"We said, 'Lets not make it just available for a catastrophe, but let's turn it into a 24/7 resort where our members can go until the moment of truth," he said. "You get your cake and eat it too."

Vicino said the Kansas shelter, which has RV 1,500 spots, is already at 10 percent capacity.

"We have emergency room doctors, surgeons, bankers, lawyers -- people from all aspects of life," he said.

And although Vicino said he doesn't know when or if doomsday will come, he said it's important to watch for warning signs of a looming disaster.

"The key is you have to leave before it's too late," he said, "but if you can get there after the fact, we'll still let you in."

http://gma.yahoo.com/apocalypse-now-man ... ories.html

Zilch5 said:
Apocalypse Now: Man Builds Underground Doomsday RV Resort

The massive complex will sit 130 feet underground and will be sealed with two-foot-thick steel and concrete doors.
Apocalypse Future: Chaos ad hilarity ensue when they can't open the doors to get out.

I listened to a Coast to Coast with Ian Punnet one night when he interviewed a couple who were anticipating the world ending in 2012. He wanted to understand why they seemed to actually want it to happen.

I can't remember what they said. I just got the impression that they were depressed enough to want their lives to end, but not depressed enough to do it themselves. :( Which... you know, good for them.

I think the same thing about preppers sometimes. They find life overwhelming with all the little details and complex social interactions. They imagine it would be so much easier if they could just live off stored rations and hold everyone off at the point of a gun. "I would finally have a good reason to tell everyone to just F-off," a part of them whispers, as they tell everyone else it's all about being prepared for the economic collapse or whatever the apocalypse du jour is.

Gwenar said:

I think the same thing about preppers sometimes. They find life overwhelming with all the little details and complex social interactions. They imagine it would be so much easier if they could just live off stored rations and hold everyone off at the point of a gun. "I would finally have a good reason to tell everyone to just F-off," a part of them whispers, as they tell everyone else it's all about being prepared for the economic collapse or whatever the apocalypse du jour is.

Aren't food banks prepping? To me, they're a sign that things are going down the pan.

Interesting post Gwenar, I think you might be right.

And although Vicino said he doesn't know when or if doomsday will come, he said it's important to watch for warning signs of a looming disaster.

"The key is you have to leave before it's too late," he said, "but if you can get there after the fact, we'll still let you in."

And the zombies kill them all. I don't know whether they've thought through ALL the apocalypses....

jimv1 said:
Gwenar said:
Aren't food banks prepping? To me, they're a sign that things are going down the pan.

I think there's a difference between short term disaster preparedness and those who are prepping for the collapse of society as we know it. For example, there are many people who have to prepare for week-long power outages as a matter of course. Those who live in hurricane or earthquake zones, or even in really cold regions where a bad winter storm can knock out the power for a few days, might have generators, coolers, battery operated camping lamps, canned foods and coolers. We have those things. That's the reality of where we live.

A food bank is different, it's a sign that things are bad for some people. Loss of a local industry, and influx of refugees, a new social program in your area that has drawn in the very poor.

Recessions come and go. Things were really bad in the 70's and civilization didn't collapse.

I'm not really happy about this as I won't get to take holidays until March... :roll:

Ragnarok: Viking Apocalypse Will See World End in 99 Days

Just a year after the Mayans wrongly predicted the world would end, Nordic mythology has foretold the End of Days with a Viking Apocalypse.

The countdown to Ragnarok has begun, with just 99 days until the world ends on 22 February next year, Norse experts have said.

A horn announced the start of the countdown from a rooftop in York. The horn belonged to the Norse god Heimdallr, who was believed to have blown it to warn people of their impending doom.

Norse mythology says that the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and all of the other "creator" gods will fall. The world will then be born again and will be repopulated by two humans.

During the world's end, the sun's beams will become black and the weather will become treacherous, mythology states. "Brothers will fight and kill each other, sisters' children will defile kinship. It is harsh in the world, whoredom rife - an axe age, a sword age - shields are riven - a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong. No man will have mercy on another," a prophetic poem says.

Experts from the Jorvik Viking Centre say the end of the world will coincide with the grand finale of the 30th Jorvik Viking Festival in York.

Danielle Daglan director of the festival, said: "Ragnarok is the ultimate landmark in Viking mythology, when the gods fall and die, so this really is an event that should not be underestimated.

"In the last couple of years, we've had predictions of the Mayan apocalypse, which passed without incident, and numerous other dates where the end of the world has been pencilled in by seers, fortune tellers and visionaries, but the sound of the horn is possibly the best indicator yet that the Viking version of the end of the world really will happen on 22 February next year."

The festival will run between 15 and 23 February in locations around the city of York and visitors will be offered to eat and drink like Vikings.

"During the week of the Jorvik Viking Festival, we will be doing everything we can to equip the people of York, and visitors from afar, with the tools to survive the apocalypse, from hunting for the mightiest and strongest warriors to training children in combat skills," Daglan said.

"Following a study published in 2010 that bearded men are more trustworthy than those without, we're also looking for fantastic displays of facial hair, so that we can identify those with the potential to take us into the brave new world that is foretold to follow Ragnarok."

Sarah Maltby, director of attractions for York Archaeological Trust, said: "Visitors can expect to see Vikings wandering around just about every street in the city, including a parade from York Minster to Coppergate, learn about Viking combat, continue the tradition of telling ancient sagas, and then join us for a spectacular night-time Festival finale at the Eye of York on Saturday 22 February."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/52256 ... jorvik.htm

What about the three winters without a summer?

First will come the winter called Fimbulvetr. Snow will drive from all quarters, there will be hard frosts and biting winds; the sun will be no use. There will be three such winters on end with no summer between.

Doesn't seem likely that we'll get those in the next 100 days, despite it sounding like the articles about the "Worst Winter for XXX Years" stories that always appear in the Express and Mail around this time of year.

Timble2 said:
What about the three winters without a summer?

First will come the winter called Fimbulvetr. Snow will drive from all quarters, there will be hard frosts and biting winds; the sun will be no use. There will be three such winters on end with no summer between.

Doesn't seem likely that we'll get those in the next 100 days, despite it sounding like the articles about the "Worst Winter for XXX Years" stories that always appear in the Express and Mail around this time of year.

Did I need to read this?

Last evening the weather (here in coastal California) was chilly, but not THAT chilly. Until about midnight. I got up and discovered that the window in the bathroom was open about 4 inches, and the air coming in was cold--really, really cold. It had an edge to it that said ice-storm in an area where snow doesn't happen and hail is rare.

I got back into bed. The air in the bedroom was colder than it had been 5 minutes earlier. I began to have the kind of thoughts that lead to bad movies on the SYFY channel. NOAA predicts freezing tonight.

What the? We haven't had a summer in four years, now. :shock:

Why do I get the feeling that the Jorvik Viking Centre might be looking for someone who can handle a large wind instrument....?

More on Ragnarok:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...nt-cancel-your-weekend-plans-yet-9138092.html

Viking apocalypse: End of the world predicted to happen on Saturday (but don't cancel your weekend plans yet)

The Viking Armageddon Ragnarok will soon be upon us, say Jorvik Viking Centre experts.

The Independent. Heather Saul. 19 February 2014

The end of the world is almost upon us if Norse mythology is to be believed, which predicts the Earth will split open and release the inhabitants of the underworld Hel on 22 February.

On Saturday, according to Norse legend at least, the series of events leading up to Ragnarok will culminate in an epic battle, where Norse gods Thor, Loki, Odin, Freyr, Hermóðr, will fight. Odin will be killed by Fennir and the other creator gods will fall.

The Earth will fall into the sea, and life as we know it will cease to be.

It's not all bad news though, as the world will re-emerge anew and fertile, and two human survivors will be in charge of repopulating the Earth.

Events leading up to the Viking apocalypse Ragnarok have apparently already begun, after the wolf Fennir, son of Loki escaped from his prison and the giant serpent Migard emerged from the ocean.

Ragnorak is described in the 13th century Prose Edda, written by Snorri Sturluson. The Vikings believe Ragnarok occurs after three freezing winters, with no summers in between.

Experts from the Jorvik Viking Centre predicted the world would end on 22 February to coincide with the grand finale of the 30th JORVIK Viking Festival.

According to the group, the sound of an ancient horn could be heard across the rooftops of York on 15 November last year, as “a portent of doom and the beginning of a countdown to the Norse apocalypse”.

The horn belonged to Norse god Heimdallr, who would blow it to mark 100 days before impending doom and a countdown is now running on the festival website.

Festival director Danielle Daglan said: "Ragnarok is the ultimate landmark in Viking mythology, when the gods fall and die, so this really is an event that should not be underestimated.

“In the last couple of years, we’ve had predictions of […] numerous dates where the end of the world has been pencilled in by seers, fortune tellers and visionaries, but the sound of the horn is possibly the best indicator yet that the Viking version of the end of the world really will happen on 22 February next year.”

'Norsemen' from across the Britain converge on the town to celebrate the Jorvik festival, which runs from 15 to 23 February. The festival is even running its own dedicated social media feed where participants will be encouraged to tweet using the hastag #ragnarok2014.

The festival is even promising to equip visitors "with the tools to survive the apocalypse, from hunting for the mightiest and strongest warriors to training children in combat skills", Mr Daglan added.

Should the apocalypse not occur on Saturday, it will join a string of failed predictions including the Mayan Apocalypse that said the world would be destroyed by an interplanetary object on 21 December 2012.
"the Earth will split open and release the inhabitants of the underworld Hel" Would certainly explain all those sinkholes opening up around London.

"wolf Fennir" (it's actually Fenrir ie. the Fen dweller)

"giant serpent Migard" (it's actually the Midgard serpent ie. a giant serpent that encircles the Earth (Midgard)).

But you get the picture. The signs are all in place and the 22nd of February is not far away! :shock:

Saturday is not yet over... :)

Three winters without summers? Last summer was the most glorious I remember for years. And this has been among the most mild of winters, with what harsh weather we've had (winds and rain) being mostly autumnal in character. Unsurprisingly, little evidence of Ragnarok having occurred this morning. Another armageddon passes without incident.

I'm not saying that this is the mildest winter I've ever experienced (I once spent Jan - Apr in Israel), but it's definitely been about 15 - 20°c up on last year.

The East Coast of the USA has had a very cruel winter, low temps and repeated snowfalls-it melted, but now there's another cold snap.

There hasn't been much melting(until we got a few warmish days) and re-freeze has made walking an ordeal.

Some of the worst winters have snowfalls that are not big, but repeat before the ones before melt. It just piles up, there's no place to put it when you plow a space clear.

When Spring comes to stay, I like to watch the snow piles smoking away. This is called sublimation, when a substance passes from solid to a vapor without becoming a liquid.

Otherwise, the runoff is a problem, it overloads the storm sewers.

Next comes the hellish Baltimore summer!

Looks like an interesting book. “A single average-sized supermarket should be able to sustain [a single person] for around 55 years – 63 if you eat the canned cat and dog food as well,” he writes.

Full text at link

Okay, so the apocalypse is here. Dog-food sandwich, anyone?

Don’t panic: survival specialist Lewis Dartnell has written a handy guide to surviving the end of the world as we know it and ‘rebooting’ the planet. It’ll be grand
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/okay- ... -1.1753322

Apocalyse soon? ‘The resurgence of post-apocalyptic fiction is partly because the general public is getting that message that things are going to get worse before they get better.’ Photograph: Getty Images

Patrick Freyne

Tue, Apr 8, 2014, 01:00

Nuclear disaster, climate change, rampant disease, asteroid strikes, zombie outbreaks, nationalised healthcare, angry deities – these are just some of the ways civilisation collapses in films and books, after which hollow-eyed survivors pick their way through the ruins and envy the dead.

As a fan of science fiction, I have long recognised my shortcomings when it comes to surviving even the slightest glitch in civilisation’s services. I find power cuts terrifying. I have panic attacks when my car breaks down. I even get upset when my phone drops out during my interview with post-apocalyptic survival specialist and UK Space Agency research fellow Lewis Dartnell.

“I don’t know what happened there,” says Dartnell when he gets back on the line. There’ll be no mobile phones after the apocalypse, I think sadly.
Before reading Dartnell’s book The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Our World from Scratch , I had one simple post-apocalyptic survival scenario. I would become a bard for a local thug/strongman. “I’ll follow him around writing songs about how great he is while he does terrible things,” I explain to Dartnell. “And in return he’ll protect me.”

“Hmm,” says Dartnell. “I’m not sure that would work. You’d need pretty tough friends . . . with shotguns.”

Dartnell’s book that provides some alternative suggestions. In The Knowledge , he condenses the essence of civilisation into sections on agriculture, metallurgy, communication, electricity generation and clothing production. Each is replete with tips and illustrations and fascinating factoids.

“A single average-sized supermarket should be able to sustain [a single person] for around 55 years – 63 if you eat the canned cat and dog food as well,” he writes.

High level of anxiety
Dartnell says that everyone should buy multiple copies of The Knowledge , put them in tin boxes and bury them in their back gardens. He’s joking, but as someone with no practical skills and a high level of anxiety, I’m considering doing it anyway.

“It’s just one of these things that everyone mulls over in the back of their brain,” says Dartnell. “What would happen if civilisation collapsed? What could I do for myself? Who would be on my post-apocalyptic survival team? There are people, doctors, nurses, who have practical skills that would have a true value in the new world order, unlike, without being rude, journalists or advertising executives or people like myself.”

There is a precedent for what Dartnell is trying to do. In The Knowledge he references James Lovelock’s suggestion that society needs “a primer on science”, an exhaustive account of scientific progress that could be used to reboot a down -at-heel civilisation. But the idea is older than that.

“The early encyclopaedia compilers genuinely thought they were compiling and preserving the sum total of crucial knowledge known to humanity at the time: vast volumes, catalogues of facts, the theories of how things work,” says Dartnell. “And it’s as much about using your hands as remembering equations, so they also had these very intricate, detailed diagrams and drawings of what your hand had to do when creating a fishermen’s net or smelting metal.”

Henry Hargreaves photographs the food people eat because he thinks it helps reveal who they are. He’s made pictures of the final meals of death row inmates, the often bizarre foods musicians want backstage, and, most recently, the food preppers squirrel away for the end of days.

“It’s easy to dismiss these various kinds of people because we can’t really relate to them,” Hargreaves says. “But I’ve found that if I can understand and visualize their food, it humanizes them in my eyes.”

Preppers are broadly defined as people who obsessively prepare for disasters—terrorist attacks, food shortages, financial collapse, that sort of thing—by stockpiling food and supplies, building emergency shelters, and honing their survival skills. There are more than 3 million preppers in the US, where the movement dates to the early 20th century and has been fueled by events ranging from the Great Depression and the Cold War to the Y2K computer bug and 9/11.

For Hargreaves’s preppers series, Ready for Dinner, Hargreavs reached out to people who’d appeared on on the TV show Doomsday Preppers TV show. He never met any of them, but instead chatted by phone about what they had stockpiled. He used this information to prepare a meal, which he shot in his Brooklyn studio. ...

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/doomsday-preppers-eat-apocalypse/?mbid=social_twitter

Heres a cheerful prediction for 2016 onwards. Apparently, the Planet X/Nibiru will pass close to the earth and coat it with a dust cloud that will cripple everything electrical and leave the world in darkness for year. After that year has passed, Jesus will arrive and bring back the light...

Free info booklet with pictures.
http://projectcamelotportal.com/files/A_New_Chance.pdf

WHEN ALL HELL breaks loose, it may be awhile before anyone comes to help. That’s why the government suggests having a three-day supply of essentials on hand. For some, that might mean food and water. For others, it might mean a pistol and plenty of ammo. And at least one guy wants to make sure he doesn’t run out of booze and barbiturates.

You can tell a lot about a person by what he’s stuffed into his bug-out bag for the natural disaster everyone knows is coming but few want to think about. Allison Stewart dives headlong into the world of hardcore disaster prep with her series Bug Out Bags, a fascinating look at what people have squirreled away.

It runs the gamut, and each bag reflects the fears and obsessions of the person who packed it. Some worry about earthquakes or hurricanes, but others see more nefarious threats, like the utter collapse of society. Whatever the threat, everyone covers the basics: food, water, shelter, first aid. But a few take the whole survival thing really, reallyseriously. They’ll pack a gas mask, tools, even serious firepower. There’s an entire pack for a cat, including play toys and a trowel (presumably for disaster poop-scooping), and one woman who absolutely, positively wants to ensure she has enough batteries. Stewart has seen it all. But one guy really surprised her.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/alliso...-to-survive-for-72-hours/?mbid=social_twitter

If you want to survive a biological attack, you might want to look into buying a Tesla. The company just officially unveiled the Model X, and Elon Musk shared a rather unexpected feature during the unveiling: a "bioweapon defense mode" button.

"This is a real button," said Musk, who was all too ready to have to defend the existence of the outrageous feature. He was in the middle of discussing how clean the Model X is when it comes to air quality both in and out of the car (the air cleanliness is "on the levels of a hospital room," he said) when things got dark.

THE MODEL X IS 800 TIMES BETTER AT FILTERING VIRUSES THAN OTHER CARS

The button should come in handy "if there’s ever an apocalyptic scenario of some kind," he said. All you apparently have to do is push the button and the Model X's air filter — which is about 10 times larger than a normal car's air filter— should be able to keep you safe. The company claims it's 300 times better at filtering bacteria, 500 times better at filtering allergens, 700 times better at filtering smog, and 800 times better at filtering viruses.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/30/9421719/tesla-model-x-bioweapon-defense-mode-button

Vids at link.

The Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland

Switzerland is a politically neutral country, yet it has a strong military. All across the Swiss alps are military installation and bunkers carefully hidden so as to blend into the surrounding landscape. Some of them are camouflaged as huge rocks, others as quiet villas or barns that could open up in the event of an emergency to reveal cannons and heavy machine guns that could blow any approaching army to smithereens. Enormous caverns are dugout on the mountain side to function as ad-hoc airbases with hangars. Every major bridge, tunnel, road and railway has been rigged so they could be deliberately collapsed, whenever required, to keep enemy armies out. Highways can be converted into runways by quickly removing the grade separations in between the lanes.

The country has nuclear fallout shelters in every home, institutions and hospitals, as well as nearly 300,000 bunkers and 5,100 public shelters that could accommodate the entire Swiss population if required. Switzerland also has one of the largest armies on a per capita basis, with 200,000 active personnel and 3.6 million available for service. Every male citizen under 34 years old (under 50 in some cases) is a reserve soldier. Soldiers are even allowed to take all personally assigned weapons to home. If anyone were to invade Switzerland, they would find a nation armed to the teeth ...

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/07/the-camouflaged-military-bunkers-of.html

Apocalyptic movies and even comedies (remember "Not With a Bang" anyone?) are nothing new, but there seems to be quite a spate of them on TV at the moment. Just watched the frst episode of "You Me and the Apocalypse" over breakfast this morning.

D'yer reckon they're trying to tell us something?

Nothing they haven't been trying to tell us since the atom bomb was invented.

While our planet may have survived September’s “blood moon”, it will be permanently destroyed on Wednesday, 7 October, a Christian organization has warned.

The eBible Fellowship, an online affiliation headquartered near Philadelphia, has based its prediction of an October obliteration on a previous claim that the world would end on 21 May 2011. While that claim proved to be false, the organization is confident it has the correct date this time.

“According to what the Bible is presenting it does appear that 7 October will be the day that God has spoken of: in which, the world will pass away,” said Chris McCann, the leader and founder of the fellowship, an online gathering of Christians headquartered in Philadelphia.

“It’ll be gone forever. Annihilated.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-7-october-ebible-fellowship?CMP=share_btn_tw

Back