• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I thought it worth having a thread on apocalypses that get big announcements and then quietly pass by - inspired by this thread looking at an imminent end to the world:

forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16491
Link is obsolete. The current link is:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/world-destruction-begins-sept-29.16491/

and might even have some relevance to the topic on apocalypitc statements by cabbies:

forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17786
Link is obsolete. The current link is:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/weird-cryptic-comment-from-cabbie.17786/

and an article to kick things off:

THE SKY IS ALWAYS FALLING

As the world awaits the passing—or crashing—of planetoid Toutalis, thoughts on the doomsday tradition and our own end-times culture.

By David Ritchie

DURING A TAXI ride one day in February, a driver in Baltimore asked how I was doing. I told him my plans for the near future.

He turned around, gave me a very strange look and said: "I don't want to scare you, but the world is gonna end in seven months."

Hundreds of taxis, and I get this guy. But nothing about him seemed dangerous, so I engaged him in conversation. Apparently a disciple of a certain radio preacher, this cabbie could expound at length on why the world was expected to end that September. Drawing on my meager knowledge of eschatology, I asked, "Isn't the antichrist supposed to reign for several years before the world ends?"

"Oh, he's already here!" the driver assured me. "People just don't know it!" At my destination, he left me marveling at the vagaries of belief.

That was in 1994. Ten years later, the world is still here. How that driver explained its survival, I have no idea. If he truly trusted that seven-month countdown, then he must have been disappointed at the dawn of October 1.

WHAT IF FORECASTS of imminent doom are, as techno-paranoids call them, "psy-ops"? That is, psychological operations designed to redirect popular thinking in certain ways? What if we are being conditioned to live in fear of some world-ending super-menace—from outer space or wherever—that could be simulated and then seemingly averted at the last moment by a "miraculous" rescue? Whoever "saved" the world through such global stagecraft would acquire unprecedented influence. Dictators have risen to power and even claimed divinity for themselves using much more modest ruses.

Fantastic though such a scenario sounds, something like it probably could be done with technologies of the very near future, if not the present. One easily can imagine a tyrant with worldwide ambitions and high-tech capabilities scheming even now to pull off the greatest hoax of all time, after years of conditioning the public to anticipate precisely such a crisis. This may sound like the ultimate techno-paranoid nightmare, yet it's consistent with the high volume of current warnings that the end is nigh. Quite a large number of people around the globe believe that the world is in its sunset years.

It would be a mistake to underestimate the appeal and distribution of such a belief. Note how often it turns up in everyday conversation. At a cookout I attended some years ago in Maryland, a young woman startled me when she said about the world in general, in a glib evangelical manner, "It's all going to burn up anyway!" Even modern legends are changing to reflect belief in an imminent apocalypse. The old tale of the "phantom hitchhiker" who vanishes from a motorist's vehicle now includes accounts of mysterious travelers, sometimes identified as "angels," who say something like "Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ is coming soon?"—and then disappear.

Hoaxes or not, on both the secular and religious levels, someone is successfully inciting fears about "the end" arriving very soon. Even in the years before 2000, and accounting for religious and non-religious prophecies (Y2K), the neo-doomsday chorus has never been louder than right now. Is it all the buildup to some contrived mega-fright?

Proof is lacking. But so many scaremongers are screaming at once about a planetary upheaval within the next several years that even taxi drivers, famed for their skepticism, can be persuaded that the world has only a few months left. o

----------------------------
Volume 17, Issue 38

nypress.com/17/38/news&columns/feature.cfm
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it starnge that we've returned to 'end times' christianity? Or perhaps not.

Discuss.

I have told at least to five people in the pasf few days not to worry about the end of the world, the reason being that if nothing happens, there's no need to worry (duh!), but if something really bad does, then why should you worry, you are screwed up for good. Fatalistic, but true.

All in all, this stuff always makes me wonder if humanity, as a collective, doesn't have a suicidal desire for the end of the world, in the same manner a depressed individual wishes for death without considering suicide, but a sort of action or situation from beyond out control that resembles the idea of a enraged divinity. The end of the world is scripted in every believe system in the world, from Ragnarok to Apocalypsis. Is it an Eros vs. Thanos scenario? Is there an exception that could, as we say in Spanish, confirm this rule? Has any culture expected to be eternal or all have forsee their end in fire and water, portents and monsters? What do you guys think?

Did it ever go away? Hasn't the last 2000 years more or less consisted of one looming apocalypse to the next? (In the western world, obviously.)

DURING A TAXI ride one day in February, a driver in Baltimore asked how I was doing. I told him my plans for the near future.

He turned around, gave me a very strange look and said: "I don't want to scare you, but the world is gonna end in seven months."

Why was the taxi driver working? If I knew for an absolute fact that the world would end in seven months, there's no way you'd find me at work.

I have to agree with you anome, to be honest im bored to tears of reading about the end of the world, considering that the world will only end in approxiamtly 5 to 6 billion years when the sun expands to roughly the diameter of where Venus orbits now.
If i hear one more physic, religious nut, Alien abductee, soothsayer....(there seems to be and endless list of doom merchants) prattling on about how we are all doomed i will personally try to make sure it happens for them. I wish these people would get out and say, try to help the plants and animals of this planet that for whom it really is the end of the world. It seems to me that the only thing not facing doomsday are the bloody doomsday merchants in the first place.. oh bring back the days when a doomsday merchant meant only one of those sandwich board people walking around with the end of the world written on the borad. Where have they gone by the way are there any still out there?

(1) Think up doomsday scenario.
(2) Write book about it.
(3) Start religion about it.
(4) Profit!

;)

I don't deny that there is always the possibility (however slim) that the Earth may come to an abrupt end before the sun goes all red giant on us, but I have to say that it's been a recurrent theme of Western civilisation at least back to the time of writing of Revelations. And so far no-one's been right.

All in all, best not to dwell on it. If it is going to end, there's sod all we can do about it.

Shouldn't we build arks or something? Or beam 'we were here, but we aren't now' or 'Help!' messages into space?

EDIT: On second thought, seeing how something doomfull is going to happen anyway (statistically, I mean), shouldn't we start broadcasting now?

*{'Splash wanders off into shed wondering about cubits, and two of everything}*

To quote Ford Prefect of Guildford: "If you like."

And when asked if it would help: "Not really, no."

Feen said:
... oh bring back the days when a doomsday merchant meant only one of those sandwich board people walking around with the end of the world written on the borad. Where have they gone by the way are there any still out there?

Most of them are on the internet now...:(

Why limit your activities to the village high street when you can irritate the entire Global Village?

• Exegetes of the Mayan calendar, who appear to think it indicates something really horrible (conceivably the end of the universe) on December 21, 2012;

Even worse that that- it's my 30th birthday

Article Published: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:30:47 AM PST

Fearmongering, visions and UFOs

By HERB WILLIAMS
For the Daily Facts

Doomsayers have been around since Adam met Eve, but now they are more prevalent (there are more than 1,000 in the United States alone), and it seems that each is trying to come up with the most outlandish prognostication.

For example one guru predicted that elderly Nazis were hiding beneath the South Pole and were plotting to take over the planet with help from space aliens.

Another warned that a monster quake will make Phoenix, Ariz., a seaport, split the continent in two and bring back the sunken city of Atlantis. Another Armageddon expert believes that the plague of locust, predicted in the Bible, to show up in the last days, will actually be killer bees. (This guy may be right).

One of the latest harbingers of the end of the world, as we know it, was a red heifer, named Melody, born in Israel where some devout Jews saw her birth as a sign from God that the coming of the Messiah was near. Since this cow was believed to be the first red heifer born in the Holy Land in two millennia and since in ancient times, the ashes of a red heifer were mixed with spring water to purify high priests before they entered the temple, there were fears that some extremist groups might interpret Melody's birth as a sign that the time was right to rebuild the temple on the site that housed some of the holiest shrines in Islam. Even though mainstream religious groups did not respond to Melody's threat, some secular Israelis wanted her shot or at least burned to ashes. However, under Jewish law, a sacred cow must be immaculately red, so Melody beat the rap, since she is more auburn than crimson, and has white hairs in her tail, snout and eyelashes.

Then there are those who believe that UFOs (unidentified flying objects) will have some part in ending the earth. However, most believers are just predicting eminent contact with extra-terrestrial life forms and are waiting patiently to be "beamed up" or to join with outer space crews to change the world into a better place. Others, who are more impatient, have announced their abductions, flying lessons, physical operations, and even sexual encounters aboard various space craft. And, of course, the Heavens Gate pilgrims went a step further. Thinking that a UFO was hidden in the tailings of the Hale-Bopp comet, 39 people put on their new sneakers with the motto, "Just do it," packed their flight bags and poisoned themselves, believing that the passing UFO would whisk them off to other than the morgue.

Others have related to religious visions as indications that the end is near. In the last few years, people have been observing likenesses of religious figures on everything from windows to garage walls. A bakery back East even got into the act. They baked some rolls that resembled the face of Mother Theresa, but while the curious and the religious were flocking to the shop to see the "miracle," she put an end to the whole affair her lawyers threatened to sue. She obviously didn't want her image on someone's buns.

Recently a group of people claimed that a vision of Mary appeared in a tree stump, or was it a knothole no matter to test this possibility, I spent a great deal of time during my last camping trip looking into the hollows of trees. While I did not experience any religious vision, I did manage a secular one. On one particular tree, where a branch had once been, there appeared the likeness of what looked like the rear end of a deer.

Even though the year 2004 seems to be ripe for Armageddon, what with the menace of terrorism and the latest predictions, including those from Nostradamus (long dead), the famous 16th century astrologer, I shall not worry unless some UFO aliens land in my back yard or I hear the words, "Surf's up," at Mentone Beach.

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/Stories/0,1413,209~22487~2480812,00.html

DOOMED OR NOT DOOMED.....?????

Are we or not? Who knows? Personally i think that if we destroy ourselves in the course of our so called 'evolution' then so be it.Look at the way we treat each other and the planet.Do we really deserve to live long and prosper? The only thing that will destroy us is ourselves.

Answers on a postcard please....

As Arnie said in Terminator 2, "it's in your nature". Sadly i think that's true :(

As Arnie said in Terminator 2, "it's in your nature". Sadly i think that's true

Sadly i agree.What a shame,i was planning to do the garden as well.

Were we already predetermined to self detruct as a species with only a limited shelf life? I guess only time will tell.

Perhaps mankind is innately pessimistic.

Still, why should I worry? My neat little Starhopper Mk IV ship is hidden away, ready to take-off at the first sign of Doom. 'fraid I've only room for three passengers (my cats and hamster have bagged the fourth passenger area) so you'll have to fight amongst yourselves for a lift...

From sjoh9

Look at the way we treat each other and the planet.

From Bulldog

As Arnie said in Terminator 2, "it's in your nature". Sadly i think that's true

While i generally agree with these statements i do have some reservations. I still think we have the power to change things for the better. For every person out there that doesn't care or actively exploit their environment there are people who are the opposite who treat their environment and fellow man with care and attempt to put more back than they take. For every Saddam there is a Mother Teresa. All over the world and your own communities there are good people trying to make a difference in whatever small or large way they can i think the problem really lies in the fact that for the first time in our history the ability to destroy ourselves through whatever means has co-incided with a time when people who don't care about how the make a profit or power have all the strength. I can't see how that strangle hold can be broken.

Posted by Feen;
While i generally agree with these statements i do have some reservations. I still think we have the power to change things for the better. For every person out there that doesn't care or actively exploit their environment there are people who are the opposite who treat their environment and fellow man with care and attempt to put more back than they take. For every Saddam there is a Mother Teresa. All over the world and your own communities there are good people trying to make a difference in whatever small or large way they can i think the problem really lies in the fact that for the first time in our history the ability to destroy ourselves through whatever means has co-incided with a time when people who don't care about how the make a profit or power have all the strength. I can't see how that strangle hold can be broken.

I agree that we have the ability to change things for the better.Even if (as i believe they will) the general situation gets worse,a lot worse it could just as easily be turned around.You make a good point though about who has the power to change things and we unfortunatley live in dark times and the powers that be will not be easily removed.Revolution?!!

armageddononline

A new resource for cataloging the doom of the future!

http://www.armageddononline.org/
Site Articles
Casualty by Natural
Super Volcano
Mega Tsunami
Disease & Plagues
Tornadoes
Hurricanes
Earthquakes
Casualty by Man
Nuclear Weapons
Biological Warfare
Chemical Warfare
The Virus
World War III
Disaster Prophecy
Biblical Prophecy
Mayan Prognosis
Nostradamus
Failed Armageddon
Cosmic Abberations
Black Holes
Hypernova
Asteroid Impact
Europa
Conspiracy Theories
Fake Terrorism
The Illuminati
Roswell & Area 51
Currency & 9/11
The 4th Reich
Pearl Harbor
Paranormal
Alien Invasion
ESP and Telepathy
EVP & Speech
Spirits & Ghosts

Further Reading
Natural Disaster List
Apocalypse
Apophis Asteroid
Armageddon
Bible Code
Bird Flu
Doomsday Clock
End of the World
Eta Carinae
Fallout
Hubble Telescope
Impact Event
Manhattan Project
Mayan Calendar
Megatsunami
Near Earth Object
New World Order
Nuclear Warfare
Nuclear Winter
Ring of Fire
Shoemaker-Levy 9
Suitcase Bombs
Tropical Storms
Tunguska Event
WMD's
Yellowstone Caldera

Good link Ring, thanks. Cheery reading for a Friday afternoon. :)

Unless someone really screws up, armageddon is going to be a natural disaster, not man-made. We'd really have to put a lot of effort into the task if we wanted to eliminate humanity. A single asteroid/super-volcano/mega-tsunami/virus (pick your favourite) could be all it takes. Therefore, it's not worth worrying about.

Damn it, I was hoping for confirmation, of a coming armageddon, as that might get my bank manager off my back, or, at the very least put a dent in his social plans for the weekend :D

Re: armageddononline

MrRING said:
A new resource for cataloging the doom of the future!

Crikey! It's bloody hard opening the front door after reading through that lot!
:p
But after it's all said and done, why hasn't something happened sooner?

hokum6 said:
Unless someone really screws up, armageddon is going to be a natural disaster, not man-made. We'd really have to put a lot of effort into the task if we wanted to eliminate humanity. A single asteroid/super-volcano/mega-tsunami/virus (pick your favourite) could be all it takes. Therefore, it's not worth worrying about.
Actually, I disagree. For a natural disaster to wipe out humanity, we would have to be caught completely flat-footed. Whereas I find it much easier to believe that someone would bring about our destruction through some kind of deliberate event designed to do so.

I just think, no matter how severe a natural disaster may be, we will survive somehow. (Maybe not you and me, but some humans somewhere.)

Or a combination of The Omega Man, Planet of the Apes, and Soylent Green, the dreaded Charlton Heston Scenario.

:eek!!!!:

Its swung back to Nuclear Winter! Get yer woolies on!

'Nuclear winter' may kill more than a nuclear war
19:00 01 March 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Debora MacKenzie
Advertisement
A regional exchange of relatively small nuclear weapons could plunge the world into a decade-long "nuclear winter", destroying agriculture and killing millions, according to a new study.

Weapons experts to consider that small-scale nuclear exchanges are now more likely than the massive US-Soviet exchanges feared during the Cold War.

In the 1980s, scientists calculated that such exchanges would put enough smoke into the atmosphere to shade the Earth from the Sun, causing a nuclear winter.

Now scientists have re-calculated the likelihood of nuclear winter using modern, vastly improved climate models and a more likely modern scenario for small-scale nuclear war. Brian Toon, head of atmospheric and oceanic sciences at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and Alan Robock of Rutgers University in New Jersey, both in the US, predict less cooling than the 1980s modellers. However, they predict the cooling would last longer, with potentially devastating consequences.

Different targets
The pair modelled the impact of 100 explosions in subtropical megacities. They modelled 15-kilotonne explosions, like the Hiroshima bomb. This is also the size of the bombs now possessed by India and Pakistan, among others.

The immediate blast and radiation from the exchange of 100 small nuclear bombs killed between three million and 16 million people, depending on the targets. But the global effect of the resulting one-to-five million tonnes of smoke was much worse. “It is very surprising how few weapons are needed to do so much damage,” says Toon.

This is partly because modern scenarios aim at different targets. Toon says most of the huge US and Russian nuclear warheads are aimed, in a first strike, at missile silos in wilderness or suburban military installations. There is not much to burn, and after the first warhead hits, subsequent explosions do not release much additional smoke.

Urban firestorm
By contrast, a regional exchange where adversaries target each others’ megacities would ignite huge urban firestorms. Toon calculates the smoke released per kilotonne of explosive yield would be 100 times greater than in the Cold War scenarios.

Moreover, it lasts longer. The 1980s models, says Toon, did not extend into the upper atmosphere far enough, and could not be run long enough to discover this.

“Soot from fires is black and absorbs solar radiation,” Robock told New Scientist. “As it begins to fall it is constantly being heated and lofted.” Such particles, they calculate, rise to the upper atmosphere and stay for more than six years.

Global chill
In comparison, Robock says, particulates from a volcanic eruption, which stay in the lower atmosphere and last only about a year, have nevertheless cooled the planet enough to cause famine.

Even taking global warming into account, the models predict that the cooling of the planet for a decade following the exchange would be nearly twice as great as the global warming of the past century, causing colder temperatures than Europe’s "Little Ice Age" of the 16th to 18th centuries.

Although this might look perversely like a welcome counter-balance to global warming, the researchers say it would cause equally devastating changes in weather patterns and rainfall. That, plus reduced sunlight, would shorten growing seasons and destroy crops worldwide, to the detriment of all.

Journal reference: Science (vol 315 p 1224)

Related Articles
We are closer to Armageddon
http://environment.newscientist.com/art ... 325916.500
17 February 2007
Doomsday Clock hands move forward 2 minutes
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn10976
17 January 2007
Nuclear submarines - the ultimate insurance?
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn10761
09 December 2006
Weblinks
Brian Toon's research group, University of Colorado at Boulder
http://lasp.colorado.edu/aerosol/toon.php
Figures from studies of climatic effects of nuclear conflicts, Alan Robock
http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/nuclear/
Science
http://www.sciencemag.org

Brrrr

Plan now to avoid Doom later..

Mankind's secrets kept in lunar ark
Maurice Chittenden

IF civilisation is wiped out on Earth, salvation may come from space. Plans are being drawn up for a “Doomsday ark” on the moon containing the essentials of life and civilisation, to be activated in the event of earth being devastated by a giant asteroid or nuclear war.

Construction of a lunar information bank, discussed at a conference in Strasbourg last month, would provide survivors on Earth with a remote-access toolkit to rebuild the human race.

A basic version of the ark would contain hard discs holding information such as DNA sequences and instructions for metal smelting or planting crops. It would be buried in a vault just under the lunar surface and transmitters would send the data to heavily protected receivers on earth. If no receivers survived, the ark would continue transmitting the information until new ones could be built.

The vault could later be extended to include natural material including microbes, animal embryos and plant seeds and even cultural relics such as surplus items from museum stores.

As a first step to discovering whether living organisms could survive, European Space Agency scientists are hoping to experiment with growing tulips on the moon within the next decade.

According to Bernard Foing, chief scientist at the agency’s research department, the first flowers - tulips or arabidopsis, a plant widely used in research - could be grown in 2012 or 2015.

“Eventually, it will be necessary to have a kind of Noah’s ark there, a diversity of species from the biosphere,” said Foing.

Tulips are ideal because they can be frozen, transported long distances and grown with little nourishment. Combined with algae, an enclosed artificial atmosphere and chemically enhanced lunar soil, they could form the basis of an ecosystem.

The first experiments would be carried out in transparent biospheres containing a mix of gases to mimic the earth’s atmosphere. Carbon dioxide given off by the decomposing plants would be mopped up by the algae, which would generate oxygen through photosynthesis.

The databank would initially be run by robots and linked to earth by radio transmissions. Scientists hope to put a manned station on the moon before the end of the century.

The databank would need to be buried under rock to protect it from the extreme temperatures, radiation and vacuum on the moon. It would be run partly on solar power. The scientists envisage placing the first experimental databank on the moon no later than 2020 and it could have a lifespan of 30 years. The full archive would be launched by 2035.

The information would be held in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish and would be linked by transmitter to 4,000 “Earth repositories” that would provide shelter, food, a water supply for survivors.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 511818.ece

rynner said:
Plan now to avoid Doom later..

....A basic version of the ark would contain hard discs holding information such as DNA sequences and instructions for metal smelting or planting crops. It would be buried in a vault just under the lunar surface and transmitters would send the data to heavily protected receivers on earth. If no receivers survived, the ark would continue transmitting the information until new ones could be built....

If things were so devastated that you needed information on smelting metals and planting crops, by the time humanity had got back to the stage of being able to build a reciever that could interpret the information, you'd have figured out all of that anyway.

Also information is no use without the tools to implement it, or the means to make them, which are the things that would be trashed in the global caastrophe.

Someone's been reading way too much Science fiction...

James Randi lists 44 failed end-of-the-world prophecies:

randi.org/encyclopedia/appendix3.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110310000144/http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/appendix3.html

and there are 64 here :

http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm

- and that's before 2000, when we had a whole slew of them.

What's amusing (if you've been around a but) is how people change the dates on them - Old Mother Shipton was originalyl quoted as saying that the world to and end will come in 1881....and this was later changed to 1991.

The other one is people predicting alien contact, we've had folk saying it'll be int he next year or two for at least 30 years.

Back