• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Drugs Don't Work? Wild Behaviour In The Grip Of Narcotics

I wonder if any of these odd occurences were preceded by a few games of ten pin bowling perhaps.
Its not the drugs or the violent video games, its the bowlarama.

LSD is effective in doses measured in the microgram range, its toxicity will probably never be known because you would be tripping way too hard to ever find a dose that was actually physically poisonous, if in fact LSD is even poisonous.
1 gram is about 20 000 hits

Hmmm...I'd be interested to know what the toxicology report said about that last one. A friend of my partner's is a big fan of pure liquid acid and takes it in far larger quantities than that, and they still hold down a highly paid, professional job without reprocussions. Surely the risk is to mental, not physical health. Like Fenris said, the quantities required for even a major hit are just too small.
The first one is just your typical 'reefer madness' story. As if anyone who was stoned would have the wherewithall to go on a murder spree, even the hashashin of legend are just that, a legend.
On the other hand, datura is some nasty shit due to the unpredictability of the alkaloid content in the dose, you can go up and never come down again. It's not called 'the angel of death' for nothing.

I'm fairly sure there was a documented case once where a bag of pure LSD (I forget it if was from a drugs lad raid and sold by a 'bent' cop, or someone burgled the lab) was sold as cocaine, and several people snorted a couple of grams neat before they realised. IIRC they got something like 30-50,000 doses with no long term ill effects.

The story might be elsewhere on this board, not sure...

December 4, 2004

Intoxicating mushrooms send two students to hospital

(New London-WTNH, Dec. 3, 2004 5:00 PM) _ Apparently a very bad trip landed two Mitchell College students in the hospital.

State police say the students at the New London college had taken intoxicating mushrooms before their trouble started.

* by News Channel 8's Tina Detelj

According to other students at Mitchell college and police these two students were apparently on something and their high reached some real lows as the night went on.

"Your suite isn't ready yet but somebody was waiting for you..."

This scene from the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas may be like the mind altering trip two Mitchell College students wanted but what they got was a lot more dangerous.

Christine Tirado, freshman, says,"About two or three cop cars and they were just asking students questions."

Christine Tirado lives in the dorm where police say one of the students assaulted a campus safety officer.

David Heald, sophomore, says,"I guess it was like mayhem here last night. He was kicking, hitting everyone. It was kind of scary."

State police say the student had taken some sort of intoxicating mushrooms. New London police say there is no evidence of exactly what he was on.

Eric Fass, freshman, says,"He was thinking that everyone was his girlfriend. That's how bad it was and he was going around just trying to take off everyone's clothes."

State police say that student later suffered cardiac arrest and was transported to the hospital. The second student apparently wandered away from his dorm and into these nearby woods.

Police says there are between five and six acres of woods behind Mitchell College and it took a state police blood hound to track that student down.

He was also brought to the hospital. The school released this statement saying Mitchell College will not discuss pending investigations, and certainly will not discuss medical issues regarding our students for privacy reasons.

David Heald, sophomore, says,"I think students and kids do drugs for the fact they want to try new things and experiment but they don't realize the seriousness of it."

Fass says,"I mean I guess they should learn their lesson sooner or later but I guess they have to learn it the bad way."

Police are not releasing the names of the students because at this point noone has been arrested.

The incident is still under investigation.

Source

'Ecstasy' Use Studied to Ease Fear in Terminally Ill

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 27, 2004; Page A11

For some, the diagnosis comes out of the blue. For others, it arrives after a long battle. Either way, the news that death is just a few months away poses a daunting challenge for both doctor and patient.

Drugs can ease pain and reduce anxiety, but what about the more profound issues that come with impending death? The wish to resolve lingering conflicts with family members. The longing to know, before it's too late, what it means to love, or what it meant to live. There is no medicine to address such dis-ease.

This month, in a little-noted administrative decision, the Food and Drug Administration gave the green light to a Harvard proposal to test the benefits of the illegal street drug known as "ecstasy" in patients diagnosed with severe anxiety related to advanced cancer.

The drug, also known as 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA, has been referred to by psychiatrists as an "empathogen," a drug especially good at putting people in touch with their emotions. Some believe it could help patients come to terms with the biggest emotional challenge of all: the end of life.

The FDA's approval puts the study on track to become the first test of a psychedelic substance since 1963 at Harvard, where drug guru Timothy Leary lost his teaching privileges after using students in experiments with LSD and other hallucinogens.

It also marks a milestone for a small but increasingly effective movement favoring a more open-minded attitude toward the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs, virtually all of which have been criminalized and disparaged for decades as medically useless.

Already, MDMA is being tested for its ability to reduce symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. And two U.S. studies are looking at the usefulness of psilocybin -- the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms" -- in terminally ill cancer patients and in people with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

In the coming year, advocates also hope to submit to the FDA an application to test psilocybin and LSD as treatments for a debilitating syndrome known as cluster headaches.

That would be a fitting birthday present for Albert Hofmann, the chemist who discovered both compounds while working for the Swiss drug company Sandoz and who turns 99 in January, said Rick Doblin, president of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. The Sarasota-based nonprofit has organized and funded much of the new research.

-------------
Hofmann, who has expressed support for clinical studies such as the one being planned at Harvard, has referred to LSD as his "problem child" -- a reference to his belief that despite its widespread abuse, the mind-altering drug has the potential to help some people.

Although they vary in their chemical structures and specific effects, many psychedelic drugs work on the parts of the brain that regulate serotonin -- the same brain chemical that is the target of many FDA-approved antidepressants. That does not indicate that the drugs are necessarily safe; indeed, they all carry some medical and psychiatric risk.

Yet even scientists who have been vocal about those risks have expressed at least guarded support for the idea that, in the company of a therapist and with proper medical monitoring, moderate doses might benefit some people.

"When taken under adverse circumstances by ill-prepared individuals, there are substantial psychological risks," said Charles Grob, a psychiatrist at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. "But when taken in the context of carefully structured and approved research protocols and facilitated by individuals with expertise, adverse effects can be contained to a minimum."

Grob is leading an FDA-approved study in which terminally ill cancer patients are being given psilocybin to see whether it can help them sort through emotional and spiritual issues. He said the patients take a "modest" dose of synthetic psilocybin, equivalent to two or three illicit mushrooms. They spend the next six hours or so in a comfortable setting with a psychiatrist -- talking, thinking and sometimes listening to music with headphones.

"So far they have had very impressive results in terms of amelioration of anxiety, improvement of mood, improved rapport with close family and friends and, interestingly, significant and lasting reductions in pain," Grob said of the first few patients to enroll. "These are extraordinary compounds that seem to have an uncanny ability to reliably induce spiritual or religious experiences when taken in the right conditions."

Promising results have also been reported at the University of Arizona from a 10-person study of psilocybin for obsessive-compulsive disorder, which locks people into repetitive thoughts and actions. And Charleston, S.C., psychiatrist Michael Mithoefer has seen no complications in any of the five patients who have enrolled in his 20-person study of MDMA for victims of violence struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder.

With the FDA's Dec. 17 approval of the Harvard MDMA protocol -- and permission in hand from ethics review boards at Harvard and the nearby Lahey Clinic, where patients will be recruited -- the only remaining hurdle is getting a special license from the Drug Enforcement Administration. A dozen subjects with less than 12 months to live will get either low or moderate doses of MDMA during two sessions a few weeks apart, along with counseling and a variety of psychological tests before and after treatment.

The approach has its doubters.

"Even in antiquity, some groups thought it was especially important to take whatever their local psychedelic was -- including alcohol -- when confronting mortality, whether it's to see into the hereafter, improve spiritual growth or just numb yourself to the reality," said Joanne Lynn, president of the Washington-based Americans for Better Care of the Dying and director of RAND Health, a science and policy research center. But drugs can be disorienting, she said.

"It's sometimes poetic, sometimes majestic, but often mundane work to wrap up one's life," Lynn said. "I think it's unlikely there's a pill that will make that go away."

John Halpern, associate director of substance abuse research in the biological psychiatry lab at Harvard's McLean Hospital, who will lead the MDMA study there, agreed that it is not for everyone. But creating a sense of connection with something greater than oneself "may be helpful" for many facing death, he said.

Halpern emphasized the differences between his study and the freewheeling experiments conducted by Leary in the 1960s.

"This is not about hippy dippy Halpern trying to turn on the world. I'm not looking at this as a magic bullet," he said. "But for a lot of people, the anxiety about death is so tremendous that there is no way to get their arms around the problems that were ongoing in their family. This could be a substantial contribution to the range of palliative care strategies we're trying to develop for people facing their death."

Laura Huxley, widow of the author and metaphysical pioneer Aldous Huxley, said her husband asked for -- and she provided -- a dose of LSD as he lay dying in 1963. "He wanted to be aware," the 93-year-old supporter of the new research said last week. "It's a very important moment."

Leary took a wide array of psychedelics in the weeks leading up to his death from cancer in 1996. Some suspect the drugs clouded rather than sharpened his perceptions, but he died with a positive attitude.

"It's kind of interesting really," he said of dying, talking to a friend in his final days. "You should try it sometime."

Source

Its like that marijuanna scare movie from the 40's where the quotes on the billboards say "He smoked marijuanna & killed his whole family with an axe"
Balls I say, he was probably drunk out of his mind, but that wont be mentioned.

DRUGS TOOK OZZY TO ANOTHER DIMENSION

OZZY OSBOURNE

OZZY OSBOURNE enjoyed so many drink and drug-fuelled binges during his BLACK SABBATH heyday, he saw ghosts and had conversations with horses.

The reality TV star was so intoxicated he still doesn't know if what he experienced actually happened - but he says his brain is now the most haunted place in the world.

Ozzy says, "When you've had enough ale and acid in your system, you'll see anything. I think they were ghosts. But, because they were ghosts, they were invisible so they're difficult to describe.

"I don't need any ghosts, mind. I've got all the ghosts I need living inside my head. My brain is the most haunted place on Earth... I was talking to horses and the bastards were talking back. I thought it would never end."

--------------
04/02/2005 17:37

Source

Actor Tom Sizemore Fails Drug Test with Fake Penis
Fri Feb 11, 2005 06:33 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Tom Sizemore has been jailed for violating his probation by failing a drug test after he was caught trying to use a prosthetic penis to fake the results, a Los Angeles County prosecutor said on Friday.

Sizemore, 43, who played a battle-hardened sergeant in the war movie "Saving Private Ryan," was placed in custody on Thursday. He was ordered to remain behind bars until a hearing on Feb. 24, unless he posts $25,000 bond, Deputy District Attorney Sean Carney said.

Last month, Judge Antonio Baretto had agreed to allow Sizemore to travel to Cambodia to shoot a new film on condition that he pass a drug test every day prior to his departure.

Carney said the actor's failed attempt to fake his drug test results came on the first day of the new requirement.

The actor is required to undergo random drug tests as a condition of probation for his convictions on separate charges of methamphetamine possession and beating his ex-girlfriend, former Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss.

During Thursday's proceedings, prosecutors told Judge Baretto that Sizemore failed three drug tests in three days, the first after he was caught using a fake penis sewn into his boxer shorts and filled with a clean urine sample kept warm by a heating pack.

Carney said the ruse was revealed when the temperature of the sample proved too cool to have come from Sizemore's body, and he was asked to remove his pants.

According to prosecutors, Sizemore had been caught once before trying to use a similar device, sold over the Internet under the brand name the Whizzinator, and had failed drug tests on at least five occasions.

Carney said two drug tests on the days following the fake penis incident showed Sizemore had methamphetamine in his system.

During the hearing, Sizemore's lawyer told the court that his client was destitute, living in a garage in Whittier, California, and that he was an expectant father, Carney told Reuters.

But Baretto told Sizemore that his drug use was "out of control," adding, "I had hoped and wanted to see a positive performance."

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Reuters

During Thursday's proceedings, prosecutors told Judge Baretto that Sizemore failed three drug tests in three days, the first after he was caught using a fake penis sewn into his boxer shorts and filled with a clean urine sample kept warm by a heating pack.

Carney said the ruse was revealed when the temperature of the sample proved too cool to have come from Sizemore's body, and he was asked to remove his pants.

According to prosecutors, Sizemore had been caught once before trying to use a similar device, sold over the Internet under the brand name the Whizzinator, and had failed drug tests on at least five occasions.
Puts a whole new slant on'Taking the piss'!

But was the fake penis the same size as his real one?
I think we should be told! :D

As mentioned before it is practically impossible to overdose on LSD and be 'poisoned' by it.

The only way I could imagine that you would die would be something like literally scared to death by a bad trip that causes the heart to somehow stop.

rjm said:
As mentioned before it is practically impossible to overdose on LSD and be 'poisoned' by it.

Looking at the story it's also possible that what was in the drink wasn't LSD at all, or that it was contaminated with something toxic, or that there were other drugs in the drink.

It is theoretically possible to overdose on LSD, but it takes a hell of a lot compared with the usual dose (20-80mcg (micrograms) )

From eMed
Mortality/Morbidity: Deaths due to the primary effects of LSD have not been well documented. The lethal dose of LSD has been estimated to be 14,000 mcg. Few cases of massive ingestions have been reported; because of its large toxic index, patients must have access to unusually concentrated forms of LSD if they are to overdose. In massive overdoses, respiratory arrest, coma, emesis, hyperthermia, autonomic overactivity, and bleeding disorders can occur.

Generally, LSD-related deaths result from behavioral toxicity. An LSD user, for instance, was killed when he attempted to stop a train barehanded. The extreme agitation of a bad trip has been known to lead to suicide or to accidental death as users have tried to flee from their hallucinations.

They even seem to work for dogs:

Dogs 'high' on cane toad toxin

February 19, 2005

DOGS in the Northern Territory are getting "high" on cane toads.
Dogs were licking the backs of the warty pests and becoming addicted to the hallucinogenic poison, a NT vet said yesterday.

Megan Pickering, a vet in Katherine, said she had treated a number of dogs affected by the deadly toad poison.

"We have had quite a number of cases of dogs that are getting addicted to the toxin," Ms Pickering said. "There seems to be dogs that are licking the toxin to get high.
Advertisement:

"They lick the toads and only take in a small amount of the poison – they get a smile on their face and look like they are going to wander off into the sunset."

Katherine, about three hours drive south of Darwin, has been ravaged by the cane toads for about three years.

Source

Datura does not contain lsd it contains scoplamine amongst other chemicals , it is believed to be the spirit of an evil sorcerer by south american tribes and is also called jimsom weed, a name derived from jamestown weed so called because after a bunch of soldiers ingested some of it in a salad you could get no sense from them for two weeks(they were on their way to Jamestown) , this plant can cause permanent psychosis and is considered very dangerous . I have tried it and also seen a few people go temporarily mad on it . I was ok but it was pretty freaky shit . I wouldnt try it again now i am older and a teensy bit more sensible

No idea where to put this but it seems to be drug-related madness and this side of a general people acting very oddly thread this seems the best fit:

:gaga:

‘Bizarre’ man is arrested

Traveler dressed like pioneer; St. Charles deputies find weapons.

Published Saturday, March 26, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Two sheriff’s deputies checking on a motorist stopped along Interstate 70 in the pre-dawn darkness were puzzled at first by what they found: a driver dressed like an old-time pioneer, saying he was headed for South Dakota with Bibles and "supplies" for American Indian children.

It was only after the West Virginia man got mouthy and smelled of marijuana, police said, that the deputies uncover a staggering arsenal of firepower inside the sport utility vehicle, including loaded pistols and an assault rifle with a 30-round clip and a bullet in the chamber.

A twin-edged knife with an 8-inch blade was in the sun visor above the 46-year-old man’s head, and a loaded two-shot Colt Derringer pistol was in his pocket, authorities said.

Searchers seized about 400 rounds of ammunition.

"He said it was all self-protection and that it’s dangerous out west," St. Charles sheriff’s Lt. Craig McGuire said yesterday, a day after the traffic stop that also reportedly uncovered an array of drugs. "It’s kind of bizarre, but it’s all also kind of sobering."

Sobering in that investigators don’t believe the collection of weaponry was purely innocent, given that the man, John Hill of High View, W.Va., had loaded firearms within easy reach of him in virtually every direction, McGuire said.

"The placement indicates to us that he was well-prepared to handle any type of confrontation or opposition," McGuire said as investigators continued looking into the man’s background.

It’s unclear whether Hill is mentally ill or, when arrested, was high on marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine or perhaps heroine allegedly found in the 1995 Suburban, McGuire said.

"Obviously, there’s some really bizarre behavior; that’s about the best I can say at this time," he said. "But nowadays when you get bizarre behavior and you have weapons, that’s a bad combination.

"There is no logical reason why a normal person with a normal outlook would have to travel I-70 with that many weapons and a knife over his visor simply for self-protection on the open road."

Hill was freed yesterday afternoon on $20,000 bond, accused in a warrant of a felony charge of possessing a loaded firearm while intoxicated.

McGuire said the investigation was continuing, with more charges likely.

A woman who answered the telephone yesterday at Hill’s home said, "We have no comment, sir" and hung up.

Authorities found a duffel bag with more than a dozen Bibles, McGuire said, recounting the encounter with Hill as follows:

At about 3 a.m., two deputies approached the Suburban with West Virginia tags that was stopped but idling on the westbound shoulder near Wentzville, west of St. Louis.

After a deputy tapped on the SUV’s driver’s side window to check on the motorist, the man rolled it down. A strong odor of burned marijuana wafted out.

The man argued a bit, then was searched and arrested when a .45-caliber Derringer was found in his pocket.

The shirtless man was wearing military-style boots, cargo pants and an American Indian vest.

"I’ve heard him described as looking like a frontiersman or pioneer; that’s what he was dressed as," McGuire said. "He said he was headed to South Dakota to take Bibles and other supplies to Indian children. The deputies said, ‘Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay.’ "

Inside the vehicle, officers also reportedly found a loaded .44-caliber black powder pistol sticking out of a book bag, as well as several unloaded handguns - a .357-caliber pistol among them - and two other long rifles, including a large-caliber one with a scope.

-----------------------
Copyright 2005 Associated Press.

Source

The only way I could imagine that you would die would be something like literally scared to death by a bad trip that causes the heart to somehow stop.

Yup. Or if you really began to think too much about breathing and what it means. Try thinking about your breathing and why you do it - if you ever do a trip again or get too high. Count your heart beats.

Everything depends upon not loosing count. That's your life beating away. You've only so many beats :)

There is wild datura growing in our yard, but fortunately nobody has ever partaken of it. :p

Alleged Murderer In Court

According to the criminal complaint, Matthew Balzrina has given police investigators a fairly detailed description of the murder he says he committed.

On the morning of May 24th, Balzrina says he was smoking marijuana with the victim in this case, 23-year-old Sarah Dobbs, when she told him she planned to break up with his friend. Balzrina says he went to the bathroom for a moment, and a demon named "Sozudo" appeared to him in the mirror telling him that Dobbs was "no good". Shortly after that, Balzrina says he beat and stabbed the young woman to death. He also confessed to pouring gasoline in her house, but told police he didn't set a fire.

That kind of lapse in his story, coupled with his hallucination, could be the grounds for an insanity defense. La Crosse County District Attorney Scott Horne says, "That is something, in light of his statements, we gave some thought to last week and over the weekend. If the issue is raised, we will be prepared to deal with it."

Balzrina has also confessed to stealing a vehicle from his former workplace and heading to Winona after the crimes were committed. Because he is a flight risk, the judge handling the case has ordered a hefty $500,000 bond. We've got a lot of court hearings to go, but in the end, if Matthew Balzrina is convicted, he will be sentenced to life in prison.

www.wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=3439521&nav=KoJDaj6V

On the subject of LSD...
I remember watching a documentary on the life of one of the Hollywood greats. I was most suprised to find out that this actor took an LSD trip nearly every weekend of his life up until a ripe old age or even his death.
Can anyone shed any light on the stars identity? It was an old school actor, maybe Stewart Granger, Cary Grant or someone of that era

davidYowie said:
On the subject of LSD...
I remember watching a documentary on the life of one of the Hollywood greats. I was most suprised to find out that this actor took an LSD trip nearly every weekend of his life up until a ripe old age or even his death.
Can anyone shed any light on the stars identity? It was an old school actor, maybe Stewart Granger, Cary Grant or someone of that era

It was Cary Grant and he took it under medical supervision (it wasn't illegal when he took it). He supposedly kept a diary about his trips, I remember hearing a quote from him about feeling like a giant penis soaring into the sky under the effects of LSD.

Thanks GNC
I had a feeling it was Cary Grant but wasn't sure.
Your knowledge on drugs & old porno flicks (thanks also for reply in 'vagina dentata' thread) is awesome!
A sign perhaps of a mispent youth & man after my own heart methinks!

The Acid Trips of Cary Grant are here

I'm sure I started a thread once with that title and this article but it seems to have bitten the dust. Never mind.

North by North West will never seem the same again.

Menstruating babies indeed! :_omg:

Emperor said:
"I don't need any ghosts, mind. I've got all the ghosts I need living inside my head. My brain is the most haunted place on Earth... I was talking to horses and the bastards were talking back. I thought it would never end."

--------------
04/02/2005 17:37

Source

Ozzy rules! :devil:

Emperor said:
Alleged Murderer In Court

According to the criminal complaint, Matthew Balzrina has given police investigators a fairly detailed description of the murder he says he committed.

On the morning of May 24th, Balzrina says he was smoking marijuana with the victim in this case, 23-year-old Sarah Dobbs, when she told him she planned to break up with his friend. Balzrina says he went to the bathroom for a moment, and a demon named "Sozudo" appeared to him in the mirror telling him that Dobbs was "no good". Shortly after that, Balzrina says he beat and stabbed the young woman to death. He also confessed to pouring gasoline in her house, but told police he didn't set a fire.

www.wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=3439521&nav=KoJDaj6V

Sounds less like drugs and more like rampant lunacy:

Published - Thursday, June 16, 2005

Balzrina asked for exorcism, investigator says

Advertising Information

By DAN SPRINGER | La Crosse Tribune
Matthew Balzrina told authorities he was possessed by a demon that drove him to kill and set fire to a woman in May, and asked that a priest be called to perform an exorcism, a state investigator testified Wednesday.

The 21-year-old Balzrina refused to talk to investigators June 3 about the death of Sarah G. Dobbs unless a priest was present, said Paul Sogla, a special agent with the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation.

Balzrina also admitted he stabbed and then strangled Dobbs, 23, by stepping on her throat for five minutes, Sogla said at Balzrina's preliminary hearing Wednesday in La Crosse County Circuit Court.

Judge Dale Pasell bound Balzrina over for trial on charges of first-degree intentional homicide, arson and operating a motor vehicle without consent.

Balzrina's arraignment was delayed until 2 p.m. Friday to allow him time to meet with his attorney, Peder Arneson.

After the hearing, Arneson said Balzrina's mental state will play a crucial role in the case.

Arneson said he probably will request that Balzrina be evaluated to see if he is competent to aid in his own defense. Arneson also questioned whether Balzrina was mentally responsible for any crimes, noting his statements to police about being possessed.

Sogla said Balzrina referred several times to a demon he called "Sozuto."

Balzrina claimed Sozuto had control of his mind, Sogla said, and told Balzrina, "You're mine now," after Dobbs died.

Sogla was one of two investigators to question Balzrina on June 3 after Balzrina was caught in Winona, Minn., driving a vehicle he reportedly took from a former employer in La Crosse.

A friend of Dobbs' boyfriend, Balzrina told authorities he went to Dobbs' house about 5:30 a.m. May 24 to return a slow cooker. The two shared a marijuana joint and talked, he said. The conversation escalated into a confrontation, and Balzrina grew violent, according to his account.

Balzrina punched Dobbs, then stabbed her several times with a knife he always carried with him, Sogla said.

While Dobbs was still alive, Balzrina stood up and placed one foot on her throat, then put all of his weight on that foot for about five minutes.

After checking to see if Dobbs was dead, Balzrina told investigators he sat down to decide how he was going to cover up the killing, Sogla said.

He said he first tried to hide the body in a kitchen trash container, but it broke. Balzrina then tried to use a cleaner to remove blood from the house, but that also did not work, according to Sogla's testimony.

After dumping the knife, sheets, towels and a cellular phone in a large garbage bin nearby, Balzrina poured gasoline on Dobbs' body and wherever he found blood in the house, Sogla testified.

But Balzrina said he never set the fire — it started through some form of spontaneous combustion
, Sogla said.

www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/0 ... lzrina.txt

Fenris said:
I wonder if any of these odd occurences were preceded by a few games of ten pin bowling perhaps.
Its not the drugs or the violent video games, its the bowlarama.

LSD is effective in doses measured in the microgram range, its toxicity will probably never be known because you would be tripping way too hard to ever find a dose that was actually physically poisonous, if in fact LSD is even poisonous.
1 gram is about 20 000 hits
i think it's true that no overdoses of lsd are on record. yes, people have died, because their hallucinations caused them to do dumb things. but as far as lsd toxicity... none on record..
edit i have read the thread more and seen that apprently i am wrong.
my point is, unless you ingest a LUDICROUS amount, that would cost TONS of cash IF you could even find enough in one place, it doesnt happen
a psychiatrist told me once that lsd in small doeses works as an anti depressant. from my experience in high school, large doses make you happy too. after taking an lsd trip, staying up all night... the next day i was always happy and satisfied, even if i only got 2 hours sleep

An odd one - reprinted on her own site too:

I take illegal drugs for inspiration

Daily Telegraph, Saturday May 21st 2005, pp 17-18

(Note: This version is very slightly different from the published, edited, version)
© Sue Blackmore 2005

Every year, like a social drinker who wants to prove to herself that she's not an alcoholic, I give up cannabis for a month. It can be a tough and dreary time - and much as I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, alcohol cannot take its place.

Some people may smoke dope just to relax or have fun, but for me the reason goes deeper. In fact, I can honestly say that without cannabis, most of my scientific research would never have been done and most of my books on psychology and evolution would not have been written.
Some evenings, after a long day at my desk, I'll slip into the bath, light a candle and a spliff, and let the ideas flow - that lecture I have to give to 500 people next week, that article I'm writing for New Scientist, those tricky last words of a book I've been working on for months. This is the time when the sentences seem to write themselves. Or I might sit out in my greenhouse on a summer evening among my tomatoes and peach trees, struggling with questions about free will or the nature of the universe, and find that a smoke gives me new ways of thinking about them.

Yes, I know there are serious risks to my health, and I know I might be caught and fined or put in prison. But I weigh all this up, and go on smoking grass.

For both individuals and society, all drugs present a dilemma: are they worth the risks to health, wealth and sanity? For me, the pay-off is the scientific inspiration, the wealth of new ideas and the spur to inner exploration. But if I end up a mental and physical wreck, I hereby give you my permission to gloat and say: "I told you so".

My first encounter with drugs was a joint shared with a college friend in my first term at Oxford. This was at the tail end of the days of psychedelia and flower power - and cannabis was easy to obtain. After long days of lectures and writing essays, we enjoyed the laughter and giggling, the heightened sensations and crazy ideas that the drug seemed to let loose.
Then, one night, something out of the ordinary happened - though whether it was caused by the drug, lack of sleep or something else altogether, I don't know. I was listening to a record with two friends, sitting cross-legged on the floor, and I had smoked just enough to induce a mild synaesthesia. The sound of the music had somehow induced the sensation of rushing through a long, dark tunnel of rustling leaves towards a bright light.

I love tunnels. They come on the verges of sleep and death and are well known in all the cultures that use drugs for ritual, magic or healing. The reason for them lies in the visual cortex at the back of the brain, where certain drugs interfere with the inhibitory systems, releasing patterns of circles and spirals that form into tunnels and lights.

I didn't know about the science then. I was just enjoying the ride, when one of my friends asked a peculiar question: "Where are you, Sue?".
Where was I? I was in the tunnel. No, I was in my friend's room. I struggled to answer; then the confusion cleared and I was looking down on the familiar scene from above.

"I'm on the ceiling, " I said, as I watched the mouth down below open and close and say the words in unison. It was a most peculiar sensation.
My friend persisted. Can you move? Yes. Can you go through the walls? Yes. And I was off exploring what I thought, at the time, was the real world. It was a wonderful feeling - like a flying dream, only more realistic and intense.

The experience lasted more than two hours, and I remember it clearly even now. Eventually, it came to seem more like a mystical experience in which time and space had lost their meaning and I appeared to merge with the universe. Years later, when I began research on out-of-body and near-death experiences, I realised that I'd had all those now-familiar sensations that people report after close brushes with death. And I wanted to find out more.

However, nothing in the physiology and psychology that I was studying could remotely begin to cope with something like this. We were learning about rats' brains, and memory mechanisms, not mind and consciousness - let alone a mind that could apparently leave its body and travel around without it. Then and there, I decided to become a parapsychologist and devote my life to proving all those closed-minded scientists wrong.

But I was the one who was wrong. I did become a parapsychologist, but decades of difficult research taught me that ESP almost certainly doesn't exist and that nothing leaves the body during an out-of-body experience - however realistic it may feel.

Although parapsychology gave me no answers, I was still obsessed with a scientific mystery: how can we explain the mind and consciousness from what we know about the brain? Like any conventional scientist, I carried out experiments and surveys and studied the latest developments in psychology and neuroscience. But since the object of my inquiry was consciousness itself, this wasn't enough. I wanted to investigate my own consciousness as well.

So I tried everything from weird machines and gadgets to long-term training in meditation - but I have to admit that drugs have played a major role.

Back in those student days, it was the hallucinogens, or "mind-revealing" psychedelics, that excited us - and the ultimate hallucinogen must be LSD. Effective in minuscule doses, and not physically addictive, LSD takes you on a "trip" that lasts about eight to 10 hours but can seem like forever. Every sense is enhanced or distorted, objects change shape and form, terrors flood up from your own mind, and you can find joy in the simplest thing.

Once the trip has begun, there is no escape - no antidote, no way to stop the journey into the depths of your own mind. In my twenties, I used to take acid two or three times a year - and this was quite enough, for an acid trip is not an adventure to be undertaken lightly.

I've met the horrors with several hallucinogens, including magic mushrooms that I grew myself. I remember once gazing at a cheerfully coloured cushion, only to see each streak of colour turn into a scene of rape, mutilation or torture, the victims writhing and screaming - and when I shut my eyes, it didn't go away. It is easy to understand how such visions can turn into a classic "bad trip" , though that has never happened to me.

Instead, the onslaught of images eventually taught me to see and accept the frightening depths of my own mind - to face up to the fact that, under other circumstances, I might be either torturer or tortured. In a curious way, this makes it easier to cope with the guilt, fear or anxiety of ordinary life. Certainly, acceptance is a skill worth having - though I guess there are easier ways of acquiring it.

Then there's the fun and just the plain strangeness of LSD. On one sunny trip in Oxford, my friend and I stopped under a vast oak tree where the path had been trampled into deep furrows by cattle and then dried solid by the hot weather. We must have spent an hour there, gazing in wonder at the texture of this dried mud; at the hills and valleys in miniature; at the hoof-shaped pits and sharp cliffs; at the shifting patterns in the dappled shade. I felt that I knew every inch of this special place; that I had an intimate connection with the mud.

Suddenly, I noticed a very old man with a stick, walking slowly towards us on the path. Keep calm, I told myself. Act normal. He'll just say hello, walk by, and be gone.

"Excuse me, young lady," he said in a cracked voice. "My eyes are weak and, in this light, I can't see my way. Would you help me across?" And so it was that I found myself, dream-like, guiding the old man slowly across my special place - a patch of mud that I knew as well as my own features.
Two days later, my friend came back from lectures, very excited. "I've seen him. The man with the stick. He's real!"

We both feared that we'd hallucinated him.

Aldous Huxley once said that mescaline opened "the doors of perception"; it certainly did that for me. I took it one day with friends in the country, where we walked in spring meadows, identified wild flowers, marvelled over sparkling spider's webs and gasped at the colours in the sky that rippled overhead.

Back at the farmhouse, I sat playing with a kitten until kitten and flowers seemed inextricable. I took a pen and began to draw. I still have that little flower-kitten drawing on my study wall today.

On another wall is a field of daffodils in oils. One day, many years later, I went to my regular art class the day after an LSD trip. The teacher had brought in a bunch of daffodils and given us one each, in a milk bottle. Mine was beautiful; but I couldn't draw just one.

My vision was filled with daffodils, and I began to paint, in bold colours, huge blooms to fill the entire canvas. I will never be a great painter but, like many artists through the ages, I had found new ways of seeing that were induced by a chemical in the brain.

So can drugs be creative? I would say so, although the dangers are great - not just the dangers inherent in any drug use, but the danger of coming to rely on them too much and of neglecting the hard work that both art and science demand. There are plenty of good reasons to shun drug-induced creativity.

Yet, in my own case, drugs have an interesting role: in trying to understand consciousness, I am taking substances that affect the brain that I'm trying to understand. In other words, they alter the mind that is both the investigator and the investigated.

Interestingly, hallucinogens such as LSD and psilocybin are the least popular of today's street drugs - perhaps because they demand so much of the person who takes them and promise neither pleasure or cheap happiness. Instead, the money is all in heroin, cocaine and other drugs of addiction.

I have not enjoyed my few experiences with cocaine. I don't like the rush of false confidence and energy it provides - partly because that's not what I'm looking for and partly because I've seen cocaine take people over and ruin their lives. But many people love it - and the dealers get rich on getting people hooked.

This is tragic. In just about every human society there has ever been, people have used dangerous drugs - but most have developed rituals that bring an element of control or safety to the experience. In more primitive societies, it is shamans and healers who control the use of dangerous drugs, choose appropriate settings in which to take them and teach people how to appreciate the visions and insights that they can bring.
In our own society, criminals control all drug sales. This means that users have no way of knowing exactly what they are buying and no-one to teach them how to use these dangerous tools.

I have been lucky with my own teachers. The first time I took ecstasy, for example, I was with three people I had met at a Norwegian conference on death and dying. It was mid-summer, and they had invited me to join them on a trip around the fjords. One afternoon, we sat together and took pure crystals of MDMA - nothing like the frightening mixtures for sale on the streets today.

MDMA has the curious effect of making you feel warm and loving towards everyone and everything around you: within a few short hours, we were all convinced that we knew each other in a deep and intimate way. Then we deliberately each set off alone to walk in the mountains, where the same feeling of love now seemed to encompass the entire landscape.
I was told then that I should make the most of my first few experiences with MDMA because, after five or six doses, I would never get the same effects again. In my experience, this has been true, although prohibition makes it all but impossible to find such things out. In fact, we know horrifyingly little about the psychological effects of drugs that people take every day in Britain because scientists are not allowed to carry out the necessary research.

That is why I've had to do my own. I once had an expert friend inject me with a high dose of ketamine because I had heard it could induce out-of-body experiences. Known as K, or Special K, on the street, this is an anaesthetic used more often by vets than anaesthetists because of its unpleasant tendency to produce nightmares.

Get the dose right, as I did, and you are completely paralysed apart from the ability to move your eyes. This is not very pleasant. However, by imagining I was lifting out of my body, I felt I could fly, and I set off home to see what my children were up to. I was sure that I saw them playing in the kitchen; but when I checked the next day, I was told they had been asleep.

Back in the room, my guide began holding up his fingers out of my line of vision and, as soon as my mouth started working again, made me guess how many. I seemed to see the fingers all right, but my guesses were totally wrong.

I didn't repeat the experiment. It was not nearly as interesting as those drugs, such as LSD, psilocybin, DMT or mescaline, that undermine everything you take for granted. These are psychedelics that threaten our ordinary sense of self, and that is where they touch most deeply on my scientific interests.

What is a self? How does the brain create this sense of being "me", inside this head, looking out at the world, when I know that behind my eyes there are only millions of brain cells - and nowhere for an inner self to hide? How can those millions of brain cells give rise to free will when they are merely physical and chemical machines? In threatening our sense of self, could it be that these drugs reveal the scary truth that there is no such thing?

Mystics would say so. And, here, we hit an old and familiar question: do drugs and mystical experiences lead to the same "insights"? And are those insights true?

Since those first trips, I have taken many other drugs - such as nitrous oxide, or laughing gas. For just a few moments, I have understood everything - "Yes, yes, this is so right, this is how it has to be" - and then the certainty vanishes and you cannot say what you understood.

When the discoverer of nitrous oxide, Sir Humphrey Davy, took it himself in 1799, he exclaimed: "Nothing exists but thoughts". Others, too, have found their views profoundly shifted. It seems quite extraordinary to me that so simple a molecule can change one's philosophy, even for a few moments, yet it seems it can.

Why does the gas make you laugh? Perhaps it is a reaction to a brief appreciation of that terrifying cosmic joke - that we are just shifting patterns in a meaningless universe.

Are drugs the quick and dirty route to insight? I wanted to try the slow route, too. So I have spent more than 20 years training in meditation - not joining any cult or religion but learning the discipline of steadily looking into my own mind.

Gradually, the mind calms, space opens up, self and other become indistinguishable, and desires drop away. It's an old metaphor, but people often liken the task to climbing a mountain. The drugs can take you up in a helicopter to see what's there, but you can't stay.

In the end, you have to climb the mountain yourself - the hard way. Even so, by giving you that first glimpse, the drugs may provide the inspiration to keep climbing.

----------------
Psychologist Susan Blackmore, neuro-scientist Colin Blakemore and author Mike Jay will be appearing at the Cheltenham Science Festival (June 8-12) to discuss whether drugs can teach us anything about ourselves. For tickets to the Altered States session at the town hall ( £6, 4pm on Saturday, June 11) or for any other festival event , please call 01242 227 979 (information: www.cheltenhamfestivals.org.uk)

www.susanblackmore.co.uk/journalism/telegraphdrugs.htm

Why not go to Mexico and see for yourself whether they work

link

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:09 PM BST169
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late on Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalise people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

The legal changes will also decriminalise the possession of limited quantities of other drugs, including LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines and peyote -- a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

From what I hear the weather's better than Holland aswell

edited by TheQuixote: created hyperlink to stop page break

TheQuixote said:
Actor Tom Sizemore Fails Drug Test with Fake Penis
Fri Feb 11, 2005 06:33 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Tom Sizemore has been jailed for violating his probation by failing a drug test after he was caught trying to use a prosthetic penis to fake the results, a Los Angeles County prosecutor said on Friday.
According to prosecutors, Sizemore had been caught once before trying to use a similar device, sold over the Internet under the brand name the Whizzinator, and had failed drug tests on at least five occasions. © Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Reuters

Fake penis drug test pair guilty

The makers of a prosthetic penis to help men cheat on drugs tests have pleaded guilty to two charges of conspiracy in a US federal court.

The two men, George Wills and Robert Catalano, had been selling the device - known as the Whizzinator - over the internet for three years.

The device was sold with a heating element and fake urine to help people test negative for illegal substances.

They could face up to eight years in prison and a $500,000 (£334,000) fine.

The men ran an internet company known as Puck Technology, which between 2005 and 2008 sold the Whizzinator and a similar device, known as Number One.

"The Whizzinator is the ultimate solution for a drug testing device," says a statement on the website of the California-based company, which calls itself the "undisputed leader in synthetic urine."

"The prosthetic penis is very realistic and concealing is simple, while our quality production and materials assures you that the Whizzinator will let it flow again and again, anytime, anywhere you need it!"

Mr Wills and Mr Catalano appeared before a federal court in Pittsburgh, and are scheduled to be sentenced in February.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7747833.stm

Both Steve Jobs and Leonard Cohen credit LSD with life-changing inspirations. Cohen's, unfortunately, was that the world was an infinitely more hollow and depressing place than it seems in our normal, sober state of consciousness. He was prescribed the drug for psychiatric reasons after his father died in his childhood.

Very long article here:

Salvia: more powerful than LSD, and legal
Salvia divinorum - aka the 'YouTube drug' - is banned in many countries around the world, but not in Britain. Is it as harmless as its users claim?

At 40, Hogan is older than the average salvia user in Britain, who is in his teens or twenties. Shouldn't he know better? Hogan responds by saying he is proud of his 'alternative' lifestyle and, as he puts it, still 'open to new experiences'. Like thousands of others, he bought his salvia on the internet (although many also buy it at herbal stores that specialise in the sale of drug-related paraphernalia). Then he went home, filmed his salvia-taking experience and, in a 21st-century twist, sent the footage to the video-sharing website YouTube.

Watching young people out of their minds on salvia is the latest YouTube sensation and is fuelling the popularity of the herb. But, for those with a clear head, the films – some of which have been viewed more than a million times – are deeply disturbing. Users are reduced to mumbling wrecks, giggling and screaming, gasping and muttering, waving their hands around as they sink into a sofa or crumple to the floor. What we don't see are the visions, lights, swirls and hallucinations that many say they have experienced. Or the nightmarish sense that they are close to death, going insane or under attack. Titles such as Horrible Salvia Trip speak for themselves. 'What we are witnessing is no less than the world's first internet-driven drugs explosion,' says Dr John Mendelson, a San Francisco-based clinical pharmacologist who is conducting medical trials into how the drug works on the brain.

Salvia, a genus of the mint family, is commonly referred to as sage and derives its name from the Latin 'salvere' (to save), so called because of the herb's ancient reputation for healing properties.

Growing to more than 3ft in height, Salvia divinorum ('sage of the seers') has large green leaves and white flowers and is native to the Mazatec region of southern Mexico. The native shamans have for centuries chewed the plant's leaves to induce visions as part of spiritual and healing ceremonies and it is know in the Mazatec language as 'ska Maria Pastora' – a reference to the Virgin Mary that bears testimony to the fusion of traditional Indian customs and Roman Catholicism. It remained almost unknown outside the region until Daniel Siebert, a Californian ethnobotanist who was studying the use of herbs in spiritual traditions, came across the plant during his research in the Seventies. Today, it is sold as an extract: the '10x concentrate' is 10 times the potency of the unprocessed leaf. Prices for a gram on one British website range from £10 for the 5x extract to £35 for the 50x extract. In return, the website promises a whole range of 'out of body' experiences including: the sensation of travelling through time; encounters with divine beings; a flight over astral landscapes; and the chance to find some of life's hidden answers and secret knowledge.

Hogan insists that the effects are only at their most intense for 10 minutes and that, although the hallucinations can be disturbing, they don't do any permanent damage. But scientists disagree. Research has shown that the herb could trigger serious psychiatric problems. 'I am very concerned about the use and misuse of Salvia divinorum because it contains an active ingredient that can trigger hallucinations,' says Professor Fabrizio Schifano, an expert in drug addiction based at the University of Hertfordshire. 'For some vulnerable individuals, this may mean the onset of a psychotic episode.'

Kathy Chidester has no doubt that Prof Schifano's fears are justified. Three years ago, her 17-year-old son, Brett, committed suicide after smoking salvia.

Brett's suicide note was basically a 'love letter' to his mother, father, girlfriend and friends, Mrs Chidester said. At the end the handwriting went 'weird and sloppy' as he signed off: 'How could I go on living once I had learned the secrets of life?' The medical examiner subsequently listed salvia as a contributory factor on his death certificate. 'A psychologist who analysed the suicide note told us that he was under the influence of a drug when he wrote it,' his mother said.

'The fact that his posthumous drug test showed no signs of drugs led us to believe definitely that the drug had to be salvia, especially since that was all the police found with him. Since it metabolises within 15 minutes, there's no way it would show up on a drug test of any kind. These facts, not suppositions on our part, led us to believe 100 per cent that his salvia use led him to complete psychosis within the last hours of his life, and to his ultimate suicide.'

The effect is indisputably mind-altering. But in the scientific, law-enforcement and drug-regulation fields, there is a growing controversy about how to handle salvia's soaring popularity. Is it a basically harmless plant that delivers an extremely strong but short-lived high, open to use and abuse like other low-level psychoactive drugs such as alcohol and nicotine? And would prohibition be a futile gesture, introducing another level of criminality while having little impact on its availability or popularity?

Or is it dangerous and harmful, risking bouts of psychosis in unwitting users? And should the drug be outlawed or restricted, as some US states have recently done, following Delaware's example? Prof Schifano is certainly alarmed. 'I am concerned about the use and misuse of Salvia divinorum because it contains an active ingredient that can trigger hallucinations,' he says. 'And as a result for some vulnerable individuals, this may mean the onset of a psychotic episode.'

etc, etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... legal.html

Back