• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Fake Who Startled Himself

gattino

Justified & Ancient
This is just another one of my rambling observationals on a phenomenon which is reported both in (purported) fact and fiction often enough that it's clearly a distinct thing...yet not enough for anyone to have collected such incidents together and give them a name. At least not as far as I know.

I was reading the plot summary of a 1934 Claude Rains movie, based on a novel, called The Clairvoyant ("The Evil Mind" in the US). I know I've seen it years ago on TV. But in essence it's about a stage magician with a mind reading act who one night tells an audience member the contents of a sealed envelope without any of the usual assistance from his wife, an impossible feat which he initially dismisses..and then goes on to find himself reading minds and making genuine predictions of news events etc.

This is the trope I've seen or read many times over the years.

I recall a 1970s Superman comic in which a story is being told about some (fake) magician on Krypton who one day,unwittingly, performs one of hs miracles without his assistant being in place to make it happen...and that this frightens him. This being shaken and spooked by the turn of events is the part of interest.

In one of the two major films about Houdini - I suspect the Paul Michael Glaser one - I again only vaguely recall the details but I remember a scene in which some other escapologist's decision to giv up is explained by him having escaped some death trap, such as the water tank, when he shouldn't have been able to. He didn't know how and this had shaken him to the core. I'm going from the vaguest of memory so maybe it just meant his brush with death, but I know at the time I understood it to be a reference to him being spooked and mentally shaken by his own apparent display of genuine "magic".

Perhaps someone who's seen the film more recently than I can confirm that scene.

Here's the most contentious one..For years I was absolutely certain there is a passage on this same theme in one of the gospels that really intrigued me and caught my imagination. I use the past tense as I simply cannot find it. But I'm so sure it was there. In my memory Jesus heals someone, perhaps on demand, and it says something along the lines of "Jesus was amazed (afraid?) for the man had no faith" and then/so withdrew from the place.

Googling the phrase reveals a very similar reference to him being amazed because a gentile had so much more faith than the others, but I don't believe I can be getting mixed up with that..because the version I recall left a very distinct impression on me. That Christ himself had been startled and scared by his own success at healing someone when the person in question didn't display the magic placebo like ingredient of faith...which suggests Jesus himself was the source to his own apparent surprise. Does such a passage exist? If not where on earth did I get it from?

On more certain ground in the book Telephone Calls From The Dead (Callum E Cooper, Tricorn books) the author quotes at great length a previously published account by one Harry Walters about being witness to an incident involving a stage mentalist who incorporated a "spirit telephone"in his act, in which the punters would believe they were talking to the dead over the phone but it was in fact the magician - someone called Marvell - 's wife in the next room with a script. You can guess the rest....

Finally, intriguingly, here's Orson Welles discussing his own experience as a fake clairvoyant and the art of cold reading...he describes the act of ending up believing your own gift as a well established occupational hazard of the scam, and rationalises his own apparent success at revealing something he couldn't know, and which made him immediatly stop doing readings, as him unconsciously picking up cues...but interestingly he appears merely to be assuming so as a preferred and less disturbing interpretation.....

Can anyone confirm or clarify the ones I'm vague about or point to other examples?

Can anyone confirm or clarify the ones I'm vague about or point to other examples?
The trope, indeed, is familiar. Identifying specific instances, through, challenging.

HHG2G? (praise be unto The Book)

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

There's also a short story by H. G. Wells about a man who suddenly finds himself able to perform miracles. He discovers it when trying to prove that something is impossible. Not quite the same though.

There's also a short story by H. G. Wells about a man who suddenly finds himself able to perform miracles. He discovers it when trying to prove that something is impossible. Not quite the same though.

Reminds me of the time when I tried to demonstrate cold reading by guessing a colleague's maternal grandmother's name, which backfired when I got it first time! :D

Also not the same (I assume) but thematically linked is my own personal problem with the likes of Uri Gellar and Sally Morgan.

Each of these people have spent decades publically and on demand producing impossible feats which I'm not sure have convincingly been unmasked...yet my personal conviction they are brazen fakes lies entirely in their mutual habit of expressing complete surprise at doing the very thing they always do. How can the 10, 000th bent spoon, stopped watch or accurate message from Aunt Doris cause you, the practitioner, to sincerely say "wow! oh my god! I don't believe it!" of your own achievement, as if you weren't expecting it? Yet they always do.

Reminds me of the time when I tried to demonstrate cold reading by guessing a colleague's maternal grandmother's name, which backfired when I got it first time! :D
Yes.. I wrote a post about that very thing on here a couple of years ago..trying to demonstrate my theory/speculation that maybe the difference between a sincere psychic and the rest of us is that they say out loud the random thoughts we keep to ourselves, I tried to guess the name of a friend's dead mother and got it right after about 3 guesses...and each of the preceding names I offered up were also relevant to his family (though not to my own so there was nothng inevitable about it!)

Here it is..

forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/medium-not-so-rare.51256/

Link is obsolete. The current link is:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/medium-not-so-rare.51256/

Ulalume's post at the end makes it even more confounding.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also the fake medium in Ghost (Whoopee Goldberg) who suddenly finds herself hearing the voice of a real departed spirit.

Being Human did that trope too, I think the British version, where the ghost character finds a fake medium that she can act as a middleman to in liaising with other ghosts.

Best bit is the queue of spooks waiting to talk to their loved ones, one who checked out in a leather body harness and ball gag. :D

... Here's the most contentious one..For years I was absolutely certain there is a passage on this same theme in one of the gospels that really intrigued me and caught my imagination. I use the past tense as I simply cannot find it. But I'm so sure it was there. In my memory Jesus heals someone, perhaps on demand, and it says something along the lines of "Jesus was amazed (afraid?) for the man had no faith" and then/so withdrew from the place. ...

I suspect this is a somewhat jumbled memory of the healing of a Roman centurion's servant in Capernaum.

Jesus ... once marveled at the faith he found in a man. And it's the only instance that the gospels record such a response from Jesus (Matthew 8:5-13; Luke 7:1-10). Who was this man? A rabbi? No. A disciple? Nope. A Roman soldier.
(Emphasis added)

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-centurion-faith-that-made-jesus-marvel

This and other gospel scenes have been phrased, presented, and analyzed in multiple ways. However, I can't find any other such gospel episode in which Jesus is described as being surprised or amazed.

The reason I call your description 'jumbled' is because the Healing of the Centurion's Servant story consistently cites Jesus' amazement at the point he realizes and acknowledges the Centurion's faith in his ability to heal the servant, rather than after he's healed the servant.

Back