• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Haggis Thread

My Fortean researches have proven fruitful: I have discovered a glass plate print of the last surviving herd of domesticated haggis on the Hebridean island of Socharach in 1880:

Haggis-domestic-01.jpg

The alpha bull of the herd - Sèabhas - is the large animal centre rear, in front of his proud owner Murdo McAmadan.

maximus otter
Socharach? I see what you did there...

Edit: Oh, and 'Sèabhas'. Haha.

Last edited:
My Fortean researches have proven fruitful: I have discovered a glass plate print of the last surviving herd of domesticated haggis on the Hebridean island of Socharach in 1880:

Haggis-domestic-01.jpg

The alpha bull of the herd - Sèabhas - is the large animal centre rear, in front of his proud owner Murdo McAmadan.

maximus otter
How could anyone be so cruel as to kill such adorable creatures! The Scots should be ashamed of themselves. Tch.

My Fortean researches have proven fruitful: I have discovered a glass plate print of the last surviving herd of domesticated haggis on the Hebridean island of Socharach in 1880...

I note that the haggis on the right of the image is an extremely rare Benbeculan fighting haggis. You can tell because it's wearing the traditional war boots (although, obviously the spurs are not visible).

The dangerousness of these beasts might well be attested by the missing eye of the gentleman at centre. Possibly the result of trying to milk it with cold hands. A classic error, which has led to more than one fatality.

I once went to a regimental reunion the sight of this scrawny Romanian chef
being quick marched into the room carrying the haggis as it was piped into
the room between 2 strapping pipe majors will stay with me forever.

All that facial hair (both on the men and the haggises) reminded me of Orwells words in Animal Farm:
“The creatures outside looked from haggis to man, and from man to haggis, and from haggis to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

All that facial hair (both on the men and the haggises) reminded me of Orwells words in Animal Farm:
“The creatures outside looked from haggis to man, and from man to haggis, and from haggis to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
I've seen a few people who looked like haggises, right enough.

Back