• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Left Hand (Left-Handedness)

I'm right handed and use if for nearly everything except for picking winkles, snipering, inflating beach balls, landing space shuttles and conducting orchestras. Then my left hand comes into play. and occassionally my left foot - depending upon how tricky the landing is.

I also use my left hand for beating my left handed child. Saves the wear and tear on my good hand.

(Sorry - I'm in a silly mood today!"

President Obama is lefthanded and writes in that 'overhead' style, where the fingers and thumb are kept above the paper, presumably to avoid smudging the writing. This happens with fountain pens, not biros or pencils, so I wonder if that's what he was taught to write with.

I had to use fountain pens at grammar school, aged 11 onwards. It was supposed to make the handwriting clearer but didn't help mine. I didn't smudge as I wrote though, even though I am lefthanded.

Pfft, these days I type everything on pooters. With two highly-developed forefingers. 8)

How to read a politician's mind? Try looking at his hands
By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 8:07 AM on 11th August 2010

If you want to know when a politician is burying bad news, here is a handy hint.
A study of body language has found leaders tend to signal good news by pointing with their dominant hand – but gesture gloomy tidings with their weaker hand.

It means a right-handed politician, such as Nick Clegg, will wave his right hand when passing on positive news, while a left-hander – such as David Cameron – will gesture with his left.

The Dutch researchers say the discovery does not just help voters tell if their politicians are trying to disguise their meaning.
They say the difference in the way left and right-handed leaders gesture could also explain the unlikely number of left-handers in office.
Five out of six of the most recent presidents of America have been southpaws, far exceeding chance, they said.

Dr Daniel Casasanto of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics said: ‘Since the dawn of the television era, we have had many, many more left-handers in presidential office than we should expect according to their prevalence in the population.
'It is very interesting that Mr Cameron should have won in the first televised debates in British history.’

Dr Casasanto analysed the final debates of the U.S. presidential elections in 2004, which involved two right-handers John Kerry, and George W Bush, and in 2008 with two left-handers Barack Obama and John McCain.
The left-handed candidates used left hand gestures when making positive statements – and right hand gestures when being negative. The opposite pattern was found in right-handed candidates, he reports in the journal PLoS One. He believes voters subconsciously note which hand their leaders are using.
He said: ‘Right-handers automatically think “good stuff” is on the right, and “lefties” think “good stuff” is on the left, And vice versa. When we see someone on television that is a mirror image.
‘A “rightie” gesturing with his right hand appears on our bad side of TV. While a left-hander appears to be putting things in a much more positive light for the 90% of viewers who are right-handed.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z0wI8mf23h

rynner puts hands in pockets...

escargot1 said:
President Obama is lefthanded and writes in that 'overhead' style, where the fingers and thumb are kept above the paper, presumably to avoid smudging the writing. This happens with fountain pens, not biros or pencils........

The "overhead style" was known as: "the hook", when I was at school & was looked down apon by the teachers!!!!

Biros were not an option.... You were expected to use a pen.... God help us.... I had a fountain pen with a left handed nib, I fought hard for that nib... the local stationers had never heard of such a thing & had a good sneer... "Did I want a long wait (weight) as well?". Even when I produced a advert from Osram, proudly announcing that they produced such an item, they still argued that they'd never heard of such a thing before!!!

The nib had a left hand curve at the end & I dreaded the teacher who would order me to lend my pen to another pupil, for whatever reason.... Try & explain, get a knowing sneer from the teacher, get a pen with a wrecked nib thrown back at me, spend the next few days trying to write, with a pen with a bent nib, before you could replace the nib!!!!!

I would try & blot every word, before I started the next, to prevent smearing, then had a teacher, who decided that only pupils with nearly clean blotting paper would have it replaced with new paper, the rest would have the others second hand paper!!!!

Needless to say, these days I type almost everything & if I need to write it's a Berol Handwriting roller ball......

I've never understood the strange contortions that most left-handers go through when writing. They curl their hand around the line of script to such an extent that they're effectively writing upside-down and backwards. Why? Do they really think that it's impossible to write legibly without this palaver? Which teacher first decided that this was a good idea?

The description of Obama's handwriting sounds as if he has adopted a somewhat different style, with the hand below the line of text, but the finger and thumb slightly raised over the paper to avoid smudging. I'd never heard of "the hook" before, but it sounds not unlike the way I write myself. Mind you, I write so little these days, and then with a ballpoint, that my style has become a lot worse in almost every respect since my school days.

I'm left handed and my writing is awful and child-like, so I write in block capitals! I bowl left handed but bat right handed and I'm incapable of bowling without spinning the ball. i know it is thought that left handers are scruffy writers because we have to force the pen over the page rather than let it flow.

Spudrick68 said:
I'm left handed and my writing is awful and child-like, so I write in block capitals! I bowl left handed but bat right handed and I'm incapable of bowling without spinning the ball. i know it is thought that left handers are scruffy writers because we have to force the pen over the page rather than let it flow.

By hooking the hand over, the left hander is trying to imitate the flow of the pen, achieved by the right hander as he drags the pen over the page........

I've often felt that it was the poor left hander starting school, told to take the pencil in their hand & trying to imitate the right hander....

I never learned any of the strange way for writing left handed. People said you're supposed to curl your hand around the top of the paper, and/or rotate the paper at a funny angle, but I just blundered through.

Of course, a preference for liquid ink pens and soft lead pencils meant my writing looked rather grubby, as did the side of my left hand. And my handwriting was always terrible. If anything, it's gotten better as I've gotten older, and I use it less since I type most things these days.

I learnt very quickly that if you wrote with your hand held above the paper and not resting on it you did not smudge the writing. You have to be able to rest your elbow on something or else it hurts after a while. It also helped if you did not press down too hard.

What was a bother was those chairs in lecture theatres that had a widened right arm to rest the book/pad you were writing note on.

I was the first student in my primary school to be allowed with a biro rather than a fountain pen due to me being left handed and smudging everything I wrote! :D

My hand writing is horrible and even I can't read it once I've forgotten what it was all about. Word processing came in just in time for my uni studies and basically saved my chops. I bow before the almighty keyboard - it really made a difference in my life.

^^Haha. I used an ordinary fountain pen no problems at school, I guess because I didnt do the hook thing. Im left handed and have very neat writing.

I do a lot of things right handed though or with both hands / feet.

Maybe this about the left foot...

I'm right-handed, and when I rode a bike I would get on by putting my left foot on the LH pedal, and swing my right leg over the saddle.

This evening I saw a youngster get on his bike the opposite way - right foot on the RH pedal, left leg over the saddle...

..and it looked so wrong!

Kids today, eh? ;)

rynner2 said:
I'm right-handed, and when I rode a bike I would get on by putting my left foot on the LH pedal, and swing my right leg over the saddle.

This evening I saw a youngster get on his bike the opposite way - right foot on the RH pedal, left leg over the saddle...

..and it looked so wrong!

Kids today, eh? ;)
Not just "kids today", Ryn - I'm left-handed (which I omitted to mention above, BTW - sorry) as well as left-footed, and the method you witnessed is the only way I can get on a bike without looking drunk - if I try to mount via the left pedal, there's an embarrassing wobble which makes me appear like I've never ridden a bike before!

I can only get onto my trusty velocipede from the one side but I think that comes from standing on the kerb with a bike on the road.

Left-handed too, but don't have a strange handwriting style. Except that the script itself is nearly illegible. That's the dyspraxia though.

Parrots 'are left handed'
Parrots, like humans, choose to use one side of their body more than the other, with more of them left handed, or left footed.
12:23PM GMT 03 Feb 2011

Australian researchers found that virtually all the parrots they studied prefer to use either their left eye and left foot, or right eye and right foot.

"Basically, you get this very close relationship with the eye that they use to view the object and then the hand that they use to grasp it, and it's very consistent across all the species except a couple," said Calum Brown, a senior lecturer at Macquarie University in Sydney, who led the study.
"In some species, they're so strongly right or left handed at the species level that there's effectively no variation."

The study, published in 'Biological Letters', examined roughly 320 parrots from 16 different Australian species.
Ultimately, they found that roughly 47 per cent were left handed, 33 per cent right handed, and the remainder ambidextrous.

In addition, in some cases young birds appeared to experiment with both sides before finally settling on one.

The idea of handedness in humans is tied to the use of one hemisphere of the brain over another, known as "lateralisation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... anded.html

Left handed people are more affected by fear
Left handed people are affected by fear far more than those who are right handed, new research has revealed.
By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent 7:15AM BST 01 May 2011

Psychologists found that people who watched an eight minute clip from a scary movie suffered more symptoms associated with post traumatic stress if they were left handed than if they were right handed.

When asked to recall events from the film clip, taken from near the tense climax of thriller Silence of the Lambs, left handed volunteers gave more fragmented accounts filled with more repetition than their right handed counterparts.

This effect is common in people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The scientists now believe their results could provide new insights into how people develop post traumatic stress and the way the brain deals with fear.
Dr Carolyn Choudhary, who led the research at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, said: "The prevalence of post traumatic stress disorder is almost double in left handers compared to right handers.

"We used a portion of film from Silence of the Lambs that we know elicits fear, so we could check the recalled account against the film. People who were left handed showed significantly more fragmentation in their memories and more repetition.
"It seems that after experiencing a fearful event, even on film, people who are left handed had subtle behaviours that were like people suffering from post traumatic stress disorder."

Silence of the Lambs, starring Anthony Hopkins as serial killer Hannibal Lector and Jodie Foster as FBI agent Clarice Starling, is widely regarded as one of the most tense thrillers ever made.

Participants who were left handed showed more signs of symptoms found in patients suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after watching the eight minute clip from the movie.

Dr Choudhary, who will present her findings at the annual conference of the British Psychology Society this week, added: "The mistakes they made were subtle errors in verbal recall.
"It appears these are tied to the way the brain makes memories during fearful experiences.

"It is apparent the two sides of the brain have different roles in PTSD and the right hand-side of the brain seems to be involved in fear. In people who are left handed, the right hand side of their brain is dominant, so it may have something to do with that.
"We need to do more experiments to understand what exactly is going on here."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -fear.html

Bollocks. As a left hander, I've never been scared much by any type of movie.

Why left-handed people AREN'T more creative than those who are right-handed
By Richard Shears
Last updated at 9:36 AM on 9th June 2011

They like to think that their superior brainpower means that others are left behind. But left-handed people may not be right.
A professor reckons he has dispelled the myth that ‘lefties’ are more likely to be gifted. In fact, he says left-handers’ brainpower is depleted to the same extent as someone born prematurely.
The finding is unlikely to find favour with the 10 per cent of the population who favour their left hand, including David Cameron, Barack Obama, Angelina Jolie, Paul McCartney and Prince William.

Professor Mike Nicholls, from Adelaide’s Flinders University – who is left-handed – studied 5,000 five-year-olds.
He examined their performances at school and listened to what teachers said about them and came to the conclusion that ‘left-handers tend to do worse as a group than right-handers’.
Professor Nicholls said: ‘It’s untrue to say that being left-handed is a result of something going awry at birth, as has been popularly believed.’
He added that the reduced cognitive ability of ‘lefties’ was small but similar to the ‘negative outcomes’ of being born prematurely.

'The amount of deficit we are observing as the result of being left-handed is around about the same magnitude as being born pre-term,' said Professor Nicholls.
'It's a small, but nevertheless significant, (negative) result that we're observing.' According to international left-handed groups, they excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing.

Four of the five original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed and one in four Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
The groups also insist that lefties are generally more intelligent, better looking, more imaginative and more multi-talented than right-handers. :roll:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1OopVBB4v

Booooooooo!

Getting lower grades in school has absolutely nothing to do with levels of intelligence. In fact, many intelligent kids are just bored shitless and can't be bothered with it.

Signed
One Proud Lefty

rynner2 said:
'The amount of deficit we are observing as the result of being left-handed is around about the same magnitude as being born pre-term,' said Professor Nicholls.

I wonder if it was taken into account that it`s very common for children who were born pre-term or with serious birth complications to end up left handed.

Out of the NICU babies who were in the hospital at the same time as my son, all but a couple of them ended up left handed. Early damage to the brain can have an effect on this - and pre-term birth is a prime example of early damage.

Correlation is not causation - if more children who have problems are left handed, then of course it will appear that left handed children are behind...

I saw a programme about birth and early development with Sir Robert Winston. I can't remember what it was called. What i do remember is a snippet that wasn't given much airtime but has got me wondering. Sir Robert said that if you where left handed that you had a twin in the womb that didn't make it!
Has anyone else heard of this? As a left hander i don't like the thought that i once had a twin, shades of the dark half by Stephen King.

mugwump2 said:
Sir Robert said that if you where left handed that you had a twin in the womb that didn't make it!
Has anyone else heard of this?
I recently read a crime novel with a pair of twins in it - one was LH-ed and the other RH-ed. I think their expressions and stances were also mirror images of each other.

rynner2 said:
mugwump2 said:
Sir Robert said that if you where left handed that you had a twin in the womb that didn't make it!
Has anyone else heard of this?
I recently read a crime novel with a pair of twins in it - one was LH-ed and the other RH-ed. I think their expressions and stances were also mirror images of each other.
In identical twins, those that started out as a single egg that split into two, there is a RHed and LHed twin. Oh and their DNA and fingerprints are the same.

I don't think that's true. At least not always. There may be circumstances under which it is, but I believe the majority of mono-zygotal twins are the same handedness.

And I'm pretty sure the fingerprints thing is wrong too. Fingerprints are weird, they aren't genetic as far as we can tell, they develop fairly early on (but not, I think, before twins split from each other) and persist, even when seemingly destroyed.

I stand corrected.
I was wrong on the fingerprint thing. Serves me right for liking pulp crime fiction.
the LH/RH identical twins
The amount of left handed people in the general population is less than 10%.20% of all identical twin pairs have one right handed twin and one left handed.
Identical twin DNA is identical in the nucleus of the cell but not the mitochondrial DNA which is inherited from the mother.
Sorry for going off topic.
Back on topic my partner has just got into target shooting. I had a go with his air pistol. It turns out Im a pretty good shot despite the fact the grip is right handed and because i have limited vision in my left eye it's quite awkward to sight the target with the wrong eye.
Another example is ten pin bowling. Supposedly I stand the wrong side of the lane for a left handed bowl.
is there anything that you can do well the 'wrong' way.

I don't know about doing it well, but I have often been told I am wearing my watch on the "wrong" wrist. I am right handed, but feel most comfortable with my watch on my left wrist, and this has caused a few colleagues to assume I am left handed. Conversley, my left handed son prefers his on his right wrist.

bigaggie1 said:
I don't know about doing it well, but I have often been told I am wearing my watch on the "wrong" wrist. I am right handed, but feel most comfortable with my watch on my left wrist, and this has caused a few colleagues to assume I am left handed. Conversley, my left handed son prefers his on his right wrist.

Huh? Watches are generally designed to be worn on the left wrist. That's why the winder traditionally is to the right of the dial.

I'm left handed and have never considered wearing a watch on my right hand. I use my knife and fork the traditional way and would play a guitar the traditional way. But I write left handed, at cricket bowl left handed and if I were a boxer I would be a southpaw. But I am right footed at football.

It would be intersting to see a bit more information on just how left handed/right handed people are. and how that relates to which side of the brain is dominant. I consider myself to be right brain dominant and am happy with that.

Animals as well.

Right-flippered humpbacks and left-pawed tomcats
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 08512.html
MICHAEL VINEY

Sat, Jun 18, 2011

ANOTHER LIFE: IN THE 13TH YEAR after her rescue from a dog orphanage, Meg, a cuddly cross of Labrador and spaniel, is living on borrowed time. A swim through the river to the big strand below us no longer prompts those wide and ecstatic circlings over the sand; instead, more and more often, there are hopeful pauses to suggest we might go home again.

When she did run, which way was it: clockwise or anticlockwise? My mind’s eye says the former. A reader, John Elwes of Kilballyquilty, in Co Waterford, reports that his “very intelligent border collie” runs anticlockwise, prior to rounding up bullocks. He suggests an exploration of the handedness of animals in general: how unique are people in using left or right?

Debate on the significance of handedness in nature goes back centuries to philosophers like Leibniz and Kant. Even in this column, over the years, the handedness of snails and climbing beans has seemed fit for disquisition. Down in the dunes, the prettily banded Cepea nemoralis follows most snails in coiling to the right (except occasionally it doesn’t). And, down in the polytunnel, all the climbing beans are coiling up their strings anticlockwise (unless you’re looking up from the bottom, like a bean).

Back to the circling dogs, engaged in what science now calls “behavioural lateralisation”. One might conjecture about inheritance from wolves, reported as patrolling their hunting routes “always counterclockwise”. But the abundant research into lateralisation now spans almost the whole of the natural world, whether as preference for a single paw or foot, or for going around in circles.

Earlier this year a report from an Australian university made newspaper headlines around the world. Dr Culum Brown and a student, Maria Magat, of Macquarie University, in Sydney, studied 322 parrots of 16 Australian species to see which eye and claw they preferred in looking at and picking up food.

For every species except one, and in almost every bird within a species, eye and claw were matched. And in four of the species almost every bird had the same preference, with matching eye and foot.

“Ocular dominance” seems to be the key, and preference for one eye or the other is linked to which side of the brain deals with certain functions. Parrots are among the few families in nature that show as marked a handedness as humans, about 89 per cent of whom (let’s be accurate here) are right-handed. But while sulphur-crested cockatoos all end up left-footed, they start off in life experimenting with both claws, much like human babies. And as the left hemisphere of the brain controls the body’s right side and vice versa, handedness may depend on how analysing information and control of tasks are shared and co-ordinated between the two sides of the brain.

Humans have eyes at the front and don’t have to choose which one to use. But most fishes make the same choice as most birds (though diving gannets have exceptional binocular vision), and tormenting fish in tanks with scary stimuli can suggest a preference for keeping the left eye on danger. That fascinated some researchers, as the brain’s right side is often involved in emotional response.

Among dogs and cats, however, paw preference seems strongly linked to gender. Research at the canine-behaviour centre in the school of psychology at Queen’s University Belfast by Dr Deborah Wells found the paw-use preference in 53 dogs was strongly linked to their sex: males preferred the left paw, females the right. Her team then turned to family cats, 42 of them, studied in their familiar domestic settings. Invited to reach for a chunk of tuna in a jar, or a toy mouse suspended on a string, tomcats, again, preferred the left paw and females the right. (Do try this at home.)

Whales are mammals, too, and Atlantic humpbacks are under increasing study as identifiable individuals. A Woods Hole scientist, Dr Philip Clapham, has judged from scars on their jaws that 80 per cent turn on their right side when brushing along the bottom to scare up sand eels. They also use their right flippers much more in water-slapping displays. All this, he suggests, shows a measure of “population-level asymmetry” matching well with right-handedness in humans.

Most of the 11 per cent of human lefties are men. What, if anything at all, that signifies for behaviour could rashly be inferred from the work of Prof Lesley Rogers with a long-established colony of marmosets in New South Wales. The right-handed marmosets, she finds, are more adventurous, tending to rush into new surroundings and not always able to find their way out. The lefties hang back and think twice. Where that puts President Obama, who signed the visitors’ book at Áras an Uachtaráin with his left hand, may properly be left to history.

Humans have eyes at the front and don’t have to choose which one to use. But tormenting fish with scary stimuli can suggest a preference for keeping the left eye on danger

Back