• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Left Hand (Left-Handedness)

I am an identical twin - I am left-handed and my sister is right-handed. But even though I call myself left-handed, I really only write and use forks and spoons with my left hand - everything else I do with my right hand (and I am right-footed, too), whereas my sister does everything with her right hand. Our handwriting has always been similar, though.

Do most right-handed people use their right hand for everything? Because it seems that most left-handers do use their right hands in ways that right-handers would never use their left hands.

I've even tried left-handed scissors but I couldn't use them - had to go back to right-handed ones.

My sister and I were born two months early. We went to Catholic school in the late 50's/60's, but I don't recall the nuns ever saying a thing about my being a lefty. They certainly never tried to train me out of it, thankfully - perhaps because I had nice handwriting!

solsticebelle said:
Because it seems that most left-handers do use their right hands in ways that right-handers would never use their left hands.

I think this is just a result of the right-handed world we live in. I am very left-handed, as in, I do pretty much everything with my left hand if given the choice, but my right hand is A LOT more useful and able than most right-handed people's left hands that I know - I work in I.T. and can use a mouse pretty happily with my right hand if I'm feeling too lazy to move it over.

edit: Jesus, the approvals process for the board is slow, I'e been a reader here for years but have only just gotten permisson to post!

Here's a weird one:

Why typing 'sad' makes us miserable but 'jolly' cheers us up
Typing 'sad' makes us miserable while keying 'jolly' makes us happy, researchers claim, simply because of where their letters sit on the keyboard.
By Nick Collins, Science Correspondent
7:00AM GMT 09 Mar 2012

Typing words with your left hand makes you feel more negative about what you are writing, a study claims.
The arrangement of keys on a standard "Qwerty" keyboard means our left hand, which covers 15 letters, has to work harder than our right which is only responsible for 11.

The increased number of letters and difficulty of letter combinations typed by the left hand has gradually made us feel less positive about those typed on its side of the keyboard, and more positive about letters on the right, a study suggests.

Our perception of the words we write is therefore subtly altered depending on where on the keyboard most of the constituent letters are located.
It means we feel sad when typing 'sad' but happy when writing 'jolly.' We also prefer keying in 'money' rather than 'tax' and enjoy typing 'pink' and 'hippy.'

Experiments showed that the trend applies to words coined before and after the invention of the Qwerty keyboard, and to made-up words in English, Dutch and Spanish.
The trend was strongest in new words first used after the arrival of the keyboard, suggesting that the layout of keys could be influencing the evolution of new words, researchers claimed.

Writing in the Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, they said the study "suggests that the Qwerty keyboard is shaping the meanings of words as people filter language through their fingers.
"It appears that using Qwerty shapes the meanings of existing words and abbreviations get adopted into the lexicon and "texticon" by encouraging the use of words and abbreviations whose emotional valences are congruent with their letters' location on the keyboard." :roll:

The Qwerty layout was developed in 1868 to solve the problem with the alphabetical layout of typewriters, which caused certain neighbouring keys to jam during fast typing.
Frequently paired letters were separated on opposite sides of the keyboard, and the letters of the brand name "Type Writer" were all included in the top row to help salesmen demonstrate their product.
Almost 150 years on the decision has had a fundamental impact on the way we perceive language, researchers said.

Previous studies had already indicated that the difficulty we experience in using an object has an impact in how we feel about it.
Researchers analysed more than 1,000 words from each of three languages, and found that on average mainly left-sided words were perceived slightly more negatively than those on the right.
For every additional letter on the right hand side compared with the left, words were viewed on average four per cent more positively, and vice versa.

A second test using only modern words revealed a stronger effect, while a slight trend also appeared in a third experiment asking volunteers to rate made-up words.

Kyle Jasmin of University College London and Daniel Casasanto of The New School for Social Research, New York, who led the study, said: "Widespread typing introduces a new mechanism by which changes in the meaning of words can arise.
"People responsible for naming new products, brands, and companies might do well to consider the potential advantages of consulting their keyboards and choosing the 'right' name."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9131379 ... us-up.html

So having to type four more letters with their left hand makes people depressed? :S I use my mouse with my left hand too.. I don't feel particularly depressed about it, in fact I find it more convenient to use my stronger hand because I know I'm more likely to get the pointer over the button I was aiming for :D

Were the test subjects right handed or left handed? Or a mixture of both? I know a lot of right handed people who seem to hate using their left hands, claiming them to be useless or weak and not as good as their right hands.. If the test subjects in this experiment were all right handed, then being forced to use their weaker hand to do most of the work would create a negative response simply because they don't like using it.. But suggest cutting it off, suddenly they can't live without it :roll:

Can the research be applied to other areas? Such as driving.. In the UK the driver's left hand is responsible for changing gears and the using the handbrake, should UK drivers feel more depressed about changing gears than US drivers?

This newly published study reports discovery of the first genetic markers associated with left-handedness.

Another significant outcome was the discovery these genes are involved in brain development. The results suggest left-handed folks have certain advantages in left / right (brain hemisphere) cross-communication among areas associated with language acquisition and linguistic functions.
1st Genetic Markers Tied to Being Left-Handed Found

Scientists have discovered the first genetic markers tied to being left-handed, according to a new study.

In addition, these genetic markers may play roles in brain development and communication between different brain areas, the authors said.

The findings, published Thursday (Sept. 5) in the journal Brain, "shed considerably more light on the [biological] processes leading to left-handedness" ...

About 1 in 10 people worldwide is left-handed. Scientists have known that genes contribute to being left-handed, but they didn’t know which genes are involved. ...

In the new study, the researchers analyzed the genomes of about 400,000 people in the United Kingdom whose health records and genomic data are part of a database known as the U.K. Biobank. Of these, about 38,000 were left-handed.

The researchers looked for differences in the DNA of left- versus right-handers, and they identified four genetic markers tied to being left-handed.

Three of these markers were located in genes that provide instructions for making proteins involved in brain development and structure. ...

The researchers also analyzed brain scans of about 10,000 participants and found that these genetic markers are linked with differences in the brain's white matter — long nerve fibers that allow areas of the brain to communicate. In particular, the differences were most pronounced in tracts connecting language-related regions in the brain.

What's more, brain activity between language-related regions was more "in sync" among left-handed participants compared with right-handed participants.

“We discovered that, in left-handed participants, the language areas of the left and right sides of the brain communicate with each other in a more coordinated way" ...

This finding suggests that "left-handers might have an advantage when it comes to performing verbal tasks," but much more research would be needed to show this, he said.

Wiberg also noted that the differences in brain activity and white matter were seen as averages across large numbers of people, and so the findings may not apply to a given individual.

The study also found that the genetic markers for left-handedness are linked with a slightly increased risk of developing schizophrenia and a slightly lower risk of developing Parkinson's disease. However, this is only an association and doesn't prove that these genetic markers cause either psychiatric condition.

It's also important to note that genes aren't destiny when it comes to being left- or right-handed. Researchers estimate that "handedness" is about 25% genetic, meaning that the other 75% may be determined by a person's environment. It's likely that any given genetic marker plays only a small role in a person's overall chances of being right- or left-handed.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/left-handed-genes.html

PUBLISHED PAPER: https://academic.oup.com/brain/advance-article/doi/10.1093/brain/awz257/5556832

I was reading an article in a recent (ish) copy of Fortran Times about Sir Isaac Newton, in which it was mentioned that being left handed was a result of defective brain development causing some 're-wiring so to speak. I got to thinking about what left handedness is. I write with my left hand, but play guitar right handed. If I use a hammer, saw or potato peeler, it's left handed. I can only use scissors right handed etc, etc. So, how do you know if you're left handed? ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading an article in a recent (ish) copy of Fortran Times about Sir Isaac Newton, in which it was mentioned that being left handed was a result of defective brain development causing some 're-wiring so to speak.

There are multiple hypotheses concerning how handedness / hand preference develops. Even though there is evidence there are a few genetic markers that correlate with relative handedness, the correlation isn't complete or absolute. To date the evidence seems to indicate genetic / hereditary factors affect the odds of being left-handed, but the outcome isn't strictly deterministic.

Some of these hypotheses relate to prenatal brain development and / or infant brain / cognitive development. In some cases left-handedness is suggested to reflect a deficiency or defect, whereas in others it's treated as a simple variation or difference.

IMHO hand preference ends up being the outcome of both genetic / neural "wiring" and experiential "learning." I don't believe there's a single factor that strictly determines it.

I got to thinking about what left handedness is. I write with my left hand, but play guitar right handed. If I use a hammer, saw or potato peeler, it's left handed. I can only use scissors right handed etc, etc. So, how do you know if you're left handed? ...

Mixed-handedness isn't uncommon. However, it's much more rare than pure left-handedness (circa 1% versus circa 10% of the population at large), but not as rare as true ambidexterity.

I'm mixed-handed (aka cross-dominant), as are some others on the forum. See:

Handedness: What's Yours?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/handedness-whats-yours.3521/

This Live Science article reviews the research and evidence to date that relates to the question of why left-handedness occurs with a reasonably consistent frequency (circa 10%) worldwide.
Why Are Only 10% of People Left-Handed? Here's What Scientists Know So Far

Are you a rightie or a leftie? No, we're not talking politics here, we're talking handedness. And unless you happen to have an abundance of left-handed friends, you might have noticed how rare they are. So why are just 1 in 10 of us left-handed? ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/why-ar...eft-handed-here-s-what-scientists-know-so-far

I consider myself left handed, but really only writing is totally left handed. I cut with my right and am hopeless using my left for cutting of any type. I can use spoon and fork with either hand. I can use a right handed can opener and sometimes have trouble with it not working for me. My mom says I hold it wrong, but I know that it is not totally backwards because I can use it. I can throw a ball either left or right handed, but am slightly better right handed. I use my right hand for using a computer mouse, but think I could use either. Something else that I don't bother trying out as everyone I work with is right handed and we share a computer.

When I worked in a business office, I had my phone on my left, computer/keyboard in middle and adding machine on my right. Until I worked directly with another lefty, I didn't realize subtle left-handed ways of doing things. She and I both filed "left handed". We shared accounts payables duties and our paperwork was filed the same way. If someone right handed filed, the paper was backwards to us. If I filed for someone else, they invariably told me that it was backwards.

As a kid I wanted to learn to knit, but now can only manage the knit stitch. I cannot figure out how to do a purl stitch. My grandma tried to teach me to knit and even though I sat directly beside her and mimicked her hand motions, my stitches were backwards. To this day, I don't know how, but if I try to be helpful to someone learning to knit and try to help them pick up a dropped stitch, I end up knitting backward to them and so cannot assist. So I now figure that I knit left handed, but no one I know knits left handed, so I gave up trying to learn.

Using a paint brush, I can paint easily with either hand.

I can easily write mirrored, which I once read that it is something that left handers can do easily, though I don't know if it's true.

Don't ask me to quickly direct something right or left as I briefly have to think which is which. When starting school and teacher was telling students how to remember right and left, she helpfully stated that it was easy to remember which side was right and which left because you "write" with your right. Screwed me up for life. I do much better with north, east, south, west.

Also when threading screws or tightening a bolt, do not tell me "righty tighty and lefty loosy". It makes no sense to me. It's circular people! Clockwise or counter clockwise makes much more sense.

Don't laugh, now, people...

I am what I once saw termed as 'other-handed' (or cack-handed as my siblings tell me).

And I wipe my bottom with toilet paper!
consider the etymology of the word "cack". maybe it's not just the moslems....

"when threading screws or tightening a bolt, do not tell me "righty tighty and lefty loosy". It makes no sense to me. It's circular people! Clockwise or counter clockwise makes much more sense. "

Widdershins and Turnwise, as antyone who has visited the Discworld can tell you

Of the five Chemistry lecturers at my old Polytechnic, three were left-handed and that proportion was considered significant. I was told something about left-hand right-brain dominance meant that enhanced visuospatial awareness gave them the edge in visualising 3D Sigma Pi chemical bonding. Something else I was crap at.

I can’t make out blueprints. I have a Nintendo 3DS and always play it in 2D. Occasionally I run into walls.:rollingw:

l was half-watching the current snooker world championship a day or so ago, and the commentators mentioned that a disproportionate number of current top players “have their right hands on the wrong side”.

A quick Google doesn’t provide an authoritative source, but a few names from the past are listed here.

There’s also a Reddit page:

maximus otter

My father was completely ambidextrous. Used to get a bollocking at school when he wrote with his left hand, so he simply switched hands. I suspect he did it deliberately to wind teachers up. His talent used to come in very handy when he played cricket, either batting or bowling and would regularly switch hands causing the other team and the umpires some inconvenience. Useful as well in his other favourite game of snooker.

Widdershins and Turnwise, as antyone who has visited the Discworld can tell you

I learned the word 'widdershins' from reading as a young child. The term came up in some lesson at school when I was about 9.
The teacher didn't know what it meant, and neither did anyone else, and I was able to explain it.

The teacher looked a bit shocked - it's a Big Word. :lolling:

A lovely story from t'Grauniad -

Experience: I helped a snail find love

It is difficult for lefty snails to mate with normal snails because they have genitals on the opposite side of their head
Tt began when a retired scientist at the Natural History Museum in London told me that he had found a rare garden snail with a left-coiling shell. In 20 years of researching the genetics of snails at universities around the world, I had never found a “lefty” garden snail. My first thought was that this snail could be used to discover what makes most other snail shells coil clockwise.

As with our previous work, in which we showed that snails and other animals may use the same genes to define left and right, perhaps the new snail might contribute to understanding human asymmetry. For example, we usually have our heart to the left, but rare individuals are reversed.

The problem was that it is very difficult for lefty snails to mate, because they not only have a reversed shell but also genitals on the opposite side of their head to normal snails. Imagine trying to shake hands with your right hand with someone who insists on using their left. It doesn’t work. How could we understand the genetics if we could not get offspring from the lefty?
etc

I learned the word 'widdershins' from reading as a young child. The term came up in some lesson at school when I was about 9.
The teacher didn't know what it meant, and neither did anyone else, and I was able to explain it.

The teacher looked a bit shocked - it's a Big Word. :lolling:

"Deosil" really blows their minds... and as for "tuathal"...

Wiki: In Scottish folklore, sunwise, deosil or sunward (clockwise) was considered the “prosperous course”, turning from east to west in the direction of the sun. The opposite course, counterclockwise, was known as widdershins (Lowland Scots), or tuathal (Scottish Gaelic).

What you don't get from the article is that Jeremy the left-hand snail died in 2017 with the appeal to the public to find more "lefties" reported the year before. Also most snails are hermaphrodites (like slugs) and capable of self-fertilisation if they don't find a mate. But that doesn't fit the love angle - still fascinating genetics though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_(snail)

What you don't get from the article is that Jeremy the left-hand snail died in 2017 with the appeal to the public to find more "lefties" reported the year before. Also most snails are hermaphrodites (like slugs) and capable of self-fertilisation if they don't find a mate. But that doesn't fit the love angle - still fascinating genetics though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_(snail)

Yup, all that is indeed in the article.

I learned the word 'widdershins' from reading as a young child.

Me too! My mother used to read to us from a collection of slightly odd stories called "West of Widdershins", so it was a word I had always known. At the beginning of the year, I ranted at Zoe Ball on the radio because she had never heard of the word - I had to take a moment and reflect that not everybody is as weird as me!

l was half-watching the current snooker world championship a day or so ago, and the commentators mentioned that a disproportionate number of current top players “have their right hands on the wrong side”.

maximus otter

While essentially right-handed I shoot pool with my left hand. I also tend to favor my left hand whilst driving.

Newly published research has identified multiple DNA base pairs correlated with left-handedness - the first firm evidence for a genetic basis for hand preference.
Largest Study of Its Kind Identifies 41 Gene Variants Linked to Being Left-Handed

It's a question that's surprisingly hard to answer: why are most of us right-handed, some of us left-handed, and even fewer ambidextrous? Can we point to our genes, or is it an environmental phenomenon?

A new genome-wide association study of over 1.7 million people can't give us all the answers, but it is bringing us closer to understanding the combination of factors that helps produce our preference for a dominant hand.

"Although there is an enduring fascination with why some people are left- or right-handed or both, understanding why some people are left-handed and others right-handed is also an important research question because handedness can influence brain structure and the way different functions are located within the brain," says geneticist Sarah Medlan ...

In what the researchers claim is the largest study of its kind to date on handedness, the team found 41 single DNA base pair changes that are linked to a person's chance of being left-handed, while seven others were linked to being ambidextrous.

Unfortunately, though, that's definitely not the whole story. The team found that these base pair changes only conferred around 12 percent of the variance in 'handedness', meaning there's something else (or multiple things) that are making up the bulk of our left- or right-hand preferences. ...

FULL STORY:
https://www.sciencealert.com/these-41-gene-variants-influence-whether-you-re-left-handed

PUBLISHED RESEARCH REPORT:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00956-y

This recent Live Science article provides an overview of the recurrent question of lefties' relative intelligence. It's complicated ...
Are left-handed people smarter?

Left-handed people comprise only around 10% of the global population, but a quick glance reveals that many key movers and shakers are lefties. ...

It's an impressive roster, but what does the data say? Are left-handed people smarter than righties? ...

To investigate this question, researchers looked at the differences in mathematical achievement between more than 2,300 right- and left-handed students between the ages of 6 and 17 in Italy. While there was no difference when looking at the easier math problems, left-handed students had a significant edge on the more difficult problems ... , according to the 2017 study in the journal Frontiers, led by Giovanni Sala ...

But why would a person's dominant hand have anything to do with mathematical ability? Left-handedness is associated with some surprising differences in the architecture of the brain. A 1995 meta-analysis of 43 studies in the journal Psychobiology determined that left-handers possess a significantly larger corpus callosum — the bundle of nerve fibers connecting the two hemispheres of the brain — than right-handers do.

"A possibility is that the stronger connection between the two hemispheres allows the [left-handed] subject to have stronger spatial abilities, and we know that spatial abilities are connected to mathematics because mathematics is often conceptualized throughout space," said Sala ...

In some cases, it might depend on how a person becomes left-handed. "Handedness is a very complex trait, and specifically left-handedness may be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on what the cause is" ... Sometimes, "left-handedness can be caused by some kind of brain damage, when the right hemisphere has to take over because there is some kind of damage in the left hemisphere."

This type of damage could be caused by a hemispheric lesion that occurs prenatally, according to a 1985 study ... If the lesions occur in the left hemisphere of the brain, then this could lead the individual to predominantly use the right half of their brain. ... The study refers to this as "pathological left-handedness," and noted that it can lead to learning difficulties. In other words, sometimes being lefty is associated with learning problems.

It's complex, but Sala's study paints a picture of left-handers being over-represented at both the bottom and top of the cognitive spectrum. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/are-left-handed-people-smarter

I'm left handed and was also a twin (sadly my twin died just after birth) . I did read somewhere that twins are more likely to be left handed (20% chance as opposed to 10% average).

I write, play tennis, cut and eat with my left hand and kick a ball with my left foot but hold a cricket bat or golf club right handed. I also use a mouse with my right hand although, like a previous poster, I can use my left hand for the mouse too.

Funnily enough, I used to play tennis with someone who was predominantly right handed but played left handed.

Last edited:
... I write, play tennis, cut and eat with my left hand and kick a ball with my left foot but hold a cricket bat or golf club right handed. I also use a mouse with my right hand although, like a previous poster, I can use my left hand for the mouse too.

Funnily enough, I used to play tennis with someone who was predominantly right handed but played left handed.
Mixed handedness (aka being "cross dominant") is supposedly much more rare than strict left-handedness, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the poll in our other thread soliciting individuals' handedness profiles:

Handedness: What's Yours?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/handedness-whats-yours.3521/

I'm left handed and was also a twin (sadly my twin died just after birth) . I did read somewhere that twins are more likely to be left handed (20% chance as opposed to 10% average).

I write, play tennis, cut and eat with my left hand and kick a ball with my left foot but hold a cricket bat or golf club right handed. I also use a mouse with my right hand although, like a previous poster, I can use my left hand for the mouse too.

Golfer Phil Mickelson is right handed, but plays golf left handed, he does this, according to reports, because when watching his golfing father practice, the young Phil copied his father's swing in a mirror image.

"was practicing his chipping in the back yard when his son and future six-time major champ picked up a golf club and started swinging — left-handed. The legend goes that Phil was trying to be a “mirror-image” of his right-hand swinging father, so even though he does everything else right-handed, the lefty swing stuck."

https://golf.com/instruction/phil-mickelson-right-handed-swings-lefty/?amp=1

Back