• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The March Of Technology

Cornwall produced the miner's safety lamp, the first high pressure steam engine, and now - the TrigJig!
TrigJig – the unique tool created in Cornwall that’s taking on the world
Helen Dale, Reporter

A world-beating electronic tool developed in Cornwall by a former plasterer-turned zoology graduate has gone on sale across the UK and is poised to see a major sales increase in North America.
University of Exeter graduate Dan-Soanes Brown dreamed up the patented TrigJig tools, designed to make it easier for plasterers and joiners to fit coving and skirting on irregular walls, while he was studying for a PhD at the University of Exeter’s Penryn campus and renovating his Victorian terraced home in Redruth.

Fitting coving or skirting is a job most tradesmen and DIY-ers hate, because if the corners of any room are not exactly 90 degrees, getting a perfect fit is a tricky, time-consuming job involving either heavy machine tools or, more often, a poor fit made good with filler.
“I thought there just had to be a more efficient way to fit coving and skirting board when your walls are out of square, as they were in my house," said Dan.

He went looking for a suitable tool but found that there was no tool in the world that would do what he needed, so he set about inventing his own.
After months of his spare time consumed with extensive research and testing out his creation, Dan eventually left his PhD studying the virulence of pathogens to dedicate himself to pursuing the development of his invention.

He approached Makernow at Falmouth University for support. They provided an EU business assist grant and helped develop the proof of concept. Just over a year later, the tools are in production, following a hugely successful Crowdcube campaign where Dan and wife Karenza, whose marketing agency Thrive BDM took care of business development, marketing and design, secured £125,000 of investment in just nine days.

Demand for the innovative products is strong, with over 2.5 million views of the TrigJig’s Facebook videos, daily requests from buyers coming from as far as Japan, Norway, Canada and the USA, and the UK’s leading hardware retailer Screwfix with nearly 500 stores nationwide launching sales of the tools online this month. The tools are also available on Amazon in the UK and USA.
“So many of the early online sales came from America that we’ve also appointed a US sales rep,” said Dan.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...ll_that___s_taking_on_the_world/?ref=mr&lp=11

New US Stealth Destroyer

It's design makes it appear the size of a fishing boat on radar

Has hidden guns, designed to attack its enemies at a range of more than 60 miles, and is reported to have cost US taxpayers £3.3billion.

Its angular shape was designed to minimise its radar signature, while it’s wave-piercing hull and British-built state-of-the-art electric propulsion system makes it so stealth-like that submarine sonar can find it impossible to detect.

And it's captained by a James Kirk.

500345498_x.jpg

Is that an Enterprise-class destroyer?

Apple launched a new IPhone but there's been a backlash as it contains one less feature than before. A headphone jack. But you can buy some special wireless earbuds at £120.

As a creative, I've been waiting and itching to spend some serious cash on an updated MacBook or an upgrade to the IMac but I feel the users who were the target and promoted the cache of the brand have been abandoned. To me, the company is now just promoting different coloured watch straps and now, with the earbuds, sees itself as a hi-tech jewellery shop.

At first glance, this send up is a good con but it can also be seen as a canny example of what Apple have been doing over the years...

The best thing about no headphone jack on an iPhone - "helpful" owners are no longer able to demand you play "just one tune mate" off their phone while you're trying to bloody DJ.

Isn't removing the phone jack something to do with making it waterproof ?

INT21

INT21
It probably is, yes.
But then they force people to pay another £120 for the special headphones. £50 should really be the max, I think.

INT21

There's a difference between waterproof and water resistant.
That's because the warranty on the iPhone 7 (and the iPhone 7 Plus) says in the fine print that "Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear." In other words, over time the ability of the handset to resist water and liquids will fade. And right there in the warranty it says that liquid damage to the internal components of the iPhone 7 (and iPhone 7 Plus) are not covered by the warranty.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...he-warranty-doesnt-cover-water-damage_id85284

I have a Sony phone. It's water resistant.
The headphone cable acts as an aerial for the radio.

I bought my Mac Mini some years back and had to buy a DVD-Drive* just to get my legacy-crap onto the the new machine. Night One was a nothing-doing night, since my Broadband was a future-thing and the wretched Mini did nothing less - so far as I could see!

*I got a Samsung! A fraction of the price of the Apple drive. :p

The end of linotype

How newspaper printing went from linotype into the computer age - overnight!

Funnily enough, I was reading about ETAOIN SHRDLU the other day.

DIY 'garage' scientists could unleash genetically-edited organisms into wild, warn experts
scientist-in-lab-w_3221448b-large_trans++pJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg

Amateur scientists can buy kits online which let them genetically edit bacteria
30 September 2016 • 6:01am
Garage scientists' could unleash dangerous genetically-modified organisms into the environment using unregulated technology which is already available online, a new report has warned.

The Nuffield Council on Bioethics said that chemistry kits which allow genetic editing can already be bought online for under £100.

Scientists are concerned that a new technique, called Crispr, is now so cheap and widely available that amateurs will start experimenting at home, or in school labs.

The technique works like genetic scissors to cut away DNA code and replace it with new genes. It has been hailed as one the most significant scientific breakthroughs in recent years, with enthusiasts claiming that it could wipe out inherited diseases like cystic fibrosis and produce crops which are resistant to drought or pests.

It is possible for individuals to pursue this interest in private homes using kits that are available to order onlineThe Nuffield Council on Bioethics
Yet there are fears that, in the wrong hands, the procedure could unleash dangerous strains of bacteria or other organisms. Others worry it may usher in a future of eugenics, with wealthy parents selecting for beneficial traits.

Announcing preliminary findings, the council said: “The comparatively low cost and ease of use of the Crispr system has made it feasible for a greater range of users, beyond those who would ordinarily make use of the techniques of molecular biology.

“DIY or garage biologists, biohackers and enthusiastic amateurs carrying out informal research or making biological products. It is possible for individuals to pursue this interest in private homes using kits that are available to order online.

“Genetically altered organisms present a theoretical risk of harm to those handling them, and if they escape or are released from laboratories or controlled environments, to other people and natural ecosystems.”

The scientists said that a kit to make E.coli resistant to antibiotics was already for sale on the internet.

hipster_CRISPR__37055.1471036948.1280.1280-large_trans++aRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PcyX7532Kw8fYJxQ4xmErYc.jpg

A kit which claims to 'hack' the DNA of e.coli

More text at link...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...s-could-unleash-genetically-edited-organisms/

Yep, it's a bad idea.

Robot surgeons and artificial life: the promise of tiny machines
By Paul Rincon Science editor, BBC News website
5 October 2016

The 2016 Nobel Prize in chemistry has been awarded for the design and synthesis of the world's smallest machines. The work has overtones of science fiction, but holds huge promise in fields as diverse as medicine, materials and energy.

All grand endeavours start small.
This is especially true of efforts to develop nano-scale machines (1,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair), which are always destined to remain tiny however big our ambitions for them grow.

It's difficult to trace the development of molecular machines to one person or scientific step.
But a 1959 lecture by the celebrated physicist Richard Feynman is as good a point as any.
His talk, given at an American Physical Society meeting in California and titled Plenty of Room at the Bottom, laid the conceptual foundations for nanotechnology.

In it, he also anticipated one of the most widely discussed applications for molecular machines - in nano-robotic surgery and localised drug delivery.
"Although it is a very wild idea, it would be interesting in surgery if you could swallow the surgeon," Feynman told the audience.
"You put the mechanical surgeon inside the blood vessel and it goes into the heart and 'looks' around. It finds out which valve is the faulty one and takes a little knife and slices it out."

This concept didn't take long to appear in science fiction, including the 1966 film Fantastic Voyage, in which a submarine crew are miniaturised and injected inside the body of a scientist in order to save him.

Fifty years on, we haven't succeeded in turning this particular fiction into reality. But the promise is still very much alive. It is hoped, for example, that tiny mechanical delivery systems could one day be injected into the body to deliver toxic chemotherapy drugs directly to the tumour, without harming healthy tissues.

But, as one of the three 2016 chemistry laureates, Sir Fraser Stoddart, told the BBC: "This doesn't happen overnight; it takes a very long time and hundreds of very talented postdocs."

At the time Richard Feynman was thinking about manipulating matter at tiny scales, chemists were already laying the groundwork.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37563673

Leaked NASA paper shows the 'impossible' EM Drive really does work
The results of NASA's tests on the 'impossible' EM Drive have been leaked, and they reveal that the controversial propulsion system really does work, and is capable of generating impressive thrust in a vacuum, even after error measurements have been accounted for.

The EM Drive has made headlines over the past year, because it offers the incredible possibility of a fuel-free propulsion system that could potentially get us to Mars in just 70 days. But there's one major problem: according to the current laws of physics, it shouldn't work.

http://www.sciencealert.com/leaked-nasa-paper-shows-the-impossible-em-drive-really-does-work

These aren't 'brand new' but I still want an LED cube anyway ... this demo works better if you switch your lights off and enlarge the link .. beautiful work ..

edit: how to make one at home

Last edited:
New construction and repair material:
SPS: Sandwich Plate System
The first new heavy engineering material in 150 years

http://www.ie-sps.com/

Website contains a 4 minute YouTube video.

Back