• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Meaning Of 'Conspiracy'

AngelAlice

bemused & saddened observer
Is 'conspiracy' now used as shorthand to mean "silly theory only nuts could take seriously"?

Are there any examples of institutional conspiracy that it's respectable to take seriously? Can anyone give an example where governments or major institutions, like the CIA, or MI5, have conspired to subvert the law, and their conspiracy has become widely known (don't cite factors within government, like Watergate, but governments entire in themselves).

If we can't cite such examples is this because large government institutions never conspire?

AngelAlice said:
Is 'conspiracy' now used as shorthand to mean "silly theory only nuts could take seriously"?

Are there any examples of institutional conspiracy that it's respectable to take seriously? Can anyone give an example where governments or major institutions, like the CIA, or MI5, have conspired to subvert the law, and their conspiracy has become widely known (don't cite factors within government, like Watergate, but governments entire in themselves).

If we can't cite such examples is this because large government institutions never conspire?
Merged, Angel Alice's, 'The Meaning of Conspiracy' Thread, with this one.

I'm sure, you'll soon settle in here and make new friends. :)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
AngelAlice said:

Merged, Angel Alice's, 'The Meaning of Conspiracy' Thread, with this one.

I'm sure, you'll soon settle in here and make new friends. :)

Been around here for a year or two actually. Wish you hadn't merged the thread though - I think it deserved a place of its own. :eek: :?

I realise that you've been around for a while, AngelAlice. I've re-split the Thread.

Don't forget to check out the original, 'Conspiracy Theories - The Basics' Thread, though. :)
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25564&highlight

Or, the 'Question about conspiracies' Thread.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6772&highlight=conspiracies

Or even the 'Lizards, Icke, and conspiracies, etc..' Thread.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4570&highlight=conspiracies

AngelAlice said:
Are there any examples of institutional conspiracy that it's respectable to take seriously? Can anyone give an example where governments or major institutions, like the CIA, or MI5, have conspired to subvert the law, and their conspiracy has become widely known (don't cite factors within government, like Watergate, but governments entire in themselves). never conspire?

"Governments entire in themselves" is a curious qualifier. Governments are vast entities, down to local civil servants and such. Any conspiracy will try to keep the numbers of people "in the know" to a minimum.

A good example of a bona fide Government conspiracy would be the Iran Contra affair, no? A rare example of where are least some parts of it were proven to have taken place and Government officials actually were convicted (only to be pardoned by George Bush I).

Back