• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Highest Number Of Ghosts Per Location

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
I'm going through my listings of ghost locations and I was wondering what the record was for the most number of ghosts in any one location? So far I've found:

Schooner Hotel, Northumberland - 60
True's Yard Museum, Kings Lynn - 38
Golden Fleece, York - 8
Woodchester Mansion and area - 16
The Black Lion, Hereford - 14
The Three Tuns, Bungay - 20

(I know some places claim to have lots of ghosts but they don't give numbers)

I'm going through my listings of ghost locations and I was wondering what the record was for the most number of ghosts in any one location?

How much leeway can we squeeze out of the word 'location'?

Do you mean one site or building?

I'm immediately thinking of Pluckley, but their hauntings are reasonably dispersed.

In the list above, Woodchester covers the mansion and lake area, but the others are just one or two buildings.
As for Pluckley, I think most of the hauntings there are misinterpretations, hoaxes or legends. Before he went quiet, Neil Arnold told me about his background research into Pluckley and it's really not as impressive as has been made out.

Before he went quiet, Neil Arnold told me about his background research into Pluckley and it's really not as impressive as has been made out.

What's happened with Neil Arnold?

I know the name from his writing on Blue Bell Hill and ABCs in Kent--he's from Rochester, if I recall.

he basically said to me "I'm off", and shut down his facebook account and groups. A shame as his scary film group and the one on UK big cats (amongst others) were really good. I had a copy of one of his books that he bought off me and that was over a year ago and since then - nothing.

he basically said to me "I'm off", and shut down his facebook account and groups. A shame as his scary film group and the one on UK big cats (amongst others) were really good. I had a copy of one of his books that he bought off me and that was over a year ago and since then - nothing.
Off to where?

Neil used to be quite active on FB, hadn’t noticed that he had gone but now you mention it.

I don't know where he's gone, he didn't say. A shame because he was a really nice guy who certainly knew his stuff.

I'm going through my listings of ghost locations and I was wondering what the record was for the most number of ghosts in any one location? So far I've found:

Schooner Hotel, Northumberland - 60
True's Yard Museum, Kings Lynn - 38
Golden Fleece, York - 8
Woodchester Mansion and area - 16
The Black Lion, Hereford - 14
The Three Tuns, Bungay - 20

(I know some places claim to have lots of ghosts but they don't give numbers)
The Schooner Hotel's tripadvisor reviews are priceless btw ..

No stars if possible

"Our son and his wife had the misfortune to stay here for part of their honeymoon. They didn’t last more than one night as when they asked when they would get hot water the ‘manager’ ushered my son out of the bar and up the stairs, whispered in his ear that he should be careful when they went to bed as he would snap his neck while he slept. The police were called and it was their second visit OF THE DAY. They were well know to the police. The fantastic policeman told my son and his wife to pack their bags ( it was 10.00pm) and they would find them somewhere else to stay. Many other things wrong with this place but that has to be the worst."

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...h_Alnwick_Northumberland_England.html#REVIEWS

Last edited:
The bad reviews go up to October. I wonder if the place has new owners yet?. Reading all those, the place sounds like a right dive.

I notice that they play up the paranormal side on their website. If they are having difficulty finding - and keeping! - guests, no wonder they want to earn revenue with rip-off ghost hunting groups!

I didn’t know where to post this, but as it mentioned locations, I thought here?

It’s a screenshot from a public FB group (Personal Ghost Stories) so in theory anyone can read it, but I edited to remove the name. (If posting this isn’t allowed please remove, mods.)

Summing it up, in case image is removed, the poster said that he’d lived in the UAE for 10 years and never felt uneasy at all, even in the dark. Coming back to the UK, ‘it all comes back’ ‘creepy feelings’ cautious of the dark. Is it because the UAE is desert land and only recently built upon (he wonders).

His wife (who’s not British) also thinks the UK is incredibly ‘haunted’.

???

Has anyone else lived in different environments and found one more active than another (he asks)?

B9920A82-1526-48E5-8A03-8AD3E7B4256D.jpeg

I was thinking of sunny climes myself, misty woods and hills and so-forth sound more apt to be haunted. But I was never in the UAE and can’t say (or anywhere very sunny come that that).

Summing it up ... , the poster said that he’d lived in the UAE for 10 years and never felt uneasy at all, even in the dark. Coming back to the UK, ‘it all comes back’ ‘creepy feelings’ cautious of the dark. ...
NOTE: We now have a thread dedicated to fear / anxiety and darkness (in and of itself):

Fear Of The Dark
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fear-of-the-dark.6244/

The thrust of this FB post seems to have more to do with prevalence of ghosts or hauntings.

I've spent a lot of time in Melbourne and never had that 'walk faster, don't look over your shoulder' feeling there that I often have in England. But then where I am in England there are long stretches of deserted road passing small copses (where anything could be hiding) and tumbled down ancient buildings. Melbourne always feels 'new' in comparison and I don't feel that weight of centuries of buried bodies or 'hidden things' that I feel here. Although, paradoxically, I am aware that Australia is older than Britain and has been occupied for longer...

Summing it up, ... the poster said that he’d lived in the UAE for 10 years and never felt uneasy at all, even in the dark. Coming back to the UK, ‘it all comes back’ ‘creepy feelings’ cautious of the dark. Is it because the UAE is desert land and only recently built upon (he wonders).
My initial thought is that there probably is a difference, and it concerns history and cues thereof.

Ghosts (in our western cultural context(s)) are usually described in terms of spirits left over from past lives. History is the summary narrative of all past lives. If remanent spirits exist, one might well expect them to be found wherever their past lives had occurred. There have been a lot more past lives in (e.g.) the UK than in the desert wastes of the Arabian Peninsula. That's the history angle in a nutshell. This angle presumes there are remanent spirits (or whatever they may be).

The cues angle concerns surviving items or environments that reflect or insinuate earlier human living (i.e., the settings for past lives). Ancient ruins, pathways, etc., serve as cues to recall the times during which past lives were lived, and such recollections easily turn to whether any of those past lives are still hanging around. This angle has more to do with the observer and influencing him / her to be more sensitive to remanent spirits in - or to more readily attribute remanent spirit status to - whatever they might experience in a given locale.

I've spent a lot of time in Melbourne and never had that 'walk faster, don't look over your shoulder' feeling there that I often have in England. But then where I am in England there are long stretches of deserted road passing small copses (where anything could be hiding) and tumbled down ancient buildings. Melbourne always feels 'new' in comparison and I don't feel that weight of centuries of buried bodies or 'hidden things' that I feel here. Although, paradoxically, I am aware that Australia is older than Britain and has been occupied for longer...
There's also a LOT more wildlife out to get you over there.

No stars if possible

"Our son and his wife had the misfortune to stay here for part of their honeymoon. They didn’t last more than one night as when they asked when they would get hot water the ‘manager’ ushered my son out of the bar and up the stairs, whispered in his ear that he should be careful when they went to bed as he would snap his neck while he slept. The police were called and it was their second visit OF THE DAY. They were well know to the police. The fantastic policeman told my son and his wife to pack their bags ( it was 10.00pm) and they would find them somewhere else to stay. Many other things wrong with this place but that has to be the worst."

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...h_Alnwick_Northumberland_England.html#REVIEWS
That can explain a lot of the ghosts through the years. :)

No stars if possible

Lovely area and great location for the pub but last time I knew it was run down and owned by a Indian family.

Seems like that might improve the food a bit. :)

Old wattle and daub buildings can be dismantled and rebuilt because they are based on a timber frame. Heritage museums do this when they collect buildings for posterity.

One such building, Churche's Mansion in Cheshire, was moved in this way at least once. It is reputedly full of ghosts and was visited by Most Haunted some years ago.
So did the ghosts move with the Mansion?

Back