• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My opinion from experience is that aliens, UFOs, the paranormal seeks you out, but you can’t seek them out.

I often wondered if certain people are predisposed or coded in their genes ?

I have found that to be very true, more than once. I'll give, as an example, something that happened to me after I began to take a serious interest in UFOs. Like many other people, I decided that if I put some effort into finding out what was really going on, I'd learn enough to form a useful opinion. (Of course, that seems like a silly notion to me now.) I had had a casual interest in all things weird and wonderful, UFOs among them, but had never really done any sort of systematic study of the various phenomena reported by UFO witnesses. I knew the reports varied a lot, but had some definite and obvious patterns. I had seen some weird things myself, but they mainly amounted to odd lights in the sky. Some were very odd indeed, and hard to rationalize as anything one would consider "normal", but I never saw spaceships or aliens.

Being a voracious reader, my approach was pretty much to just read everything I could find on the subject that looked reasonably credible, then evaluate what I read based on my experience with how the world works and what other things I had read and heard. I lived about a mile from the Topeka Public Library, which helped a lot. It quickly became obvious that there was a ton of crap to be found in the literature, and the well reasoned and well written stuff was hard to judge, if for no other reason than it was pretty far out. If I was looking for "rules" governing the behavior of the various phenomena, I wasn't finding any.

After several months and many, many books and magazines having been devoured and considered, I began having anomalous experiences myself. It started as far too many weird lights at night, in places where there should not be lights and doing things that airplanes and helicopters don't do. Then there was some poltergeist-type stuff; odd noises and such. I wasn't just noticing things that I hadn't noticed before. I certainly wasn't looking for weird stuff. My "research" was along the lines of reading about the experiences and the investigations of others. At first, I did the typical human thing and tried to rationalize the weird shit, but it got harder and harder to ignore. Then the "amber globe" began stalking me. At least, that's what it seemed like.

Late one night, I was driving along US Highway 24, on my way home. It was a dark nigh. There was little traffic on the road. I noticed an amber colored light directly behind me on the highway. I took it, at first, as a railroad signal on the tracks that the highway closely parallels on that stretch. One would occasionally see them, but they were never in view for long because of all the utility poles, vegetation, and terrain between the road and the signals. This was directly behind me on the highway, and it was pacing me about a quarter mile back. I slowed down to 20 mph or so, and it kept its distance. Finally, I pulled over and stopped to see what might pass me on the road. I don't recall for sure, but I think it disappeared. After I got underway again, it was back. It followed me until I came to the next little town, and I didn't see it any more that night.

I think it was about a week later, when I awoke at 2:00 am or something, with the bathroom lit up in orange light. I lived alone, in a small apartment, and the bathroom was just off the bedroom. I was too chicken to go see what was going on. I just wanted the nonsense to stop. After the light left and a few noises started up, I got up and went to the living room and sat in my recliner. I was not in a good mood. The weirdness was mostly annoying because it seemed so pointless and absurd. I was considering what approach I might take to petitioning whatever agency was responsible to leave me the hell alone, when it occurred to me that what it reminded me of was my own juvenile harassment of the family cat years prior. The cat was fun to tease, and I enjoyed watching its overwrought reactions, at least for a while. Eventually, I figured out I was being a jerk, and stopped teasing the poor creature. From that moment of that realization on, the weirdness stopped. I never experienced any of it again.

I kept up my inquiries, and eventually had a real sighting of something, definitely something, but all the weird little lights and half assed poltergeist stuff stayed away.
Wonderful stuff, and great analogy about teasing the cat, I honestly believe that is what happens just enough to convince some people but not enough to convince most, it's that ambiguity that is found in nearly all fortena, what's the fun in a UFO landing on the white house lawn? What would be the fun if all the Skinwalker stuff could be proved 100%? If we could how would the the phenomena tease future generations if they knew exactly what it was? It seems to be the law of these things to always practice ambiguity

My opinion from experience is that aliens, UFOs, the paranormal seeks you out, but you can’t seek them out.

I often wondered if certain people are predisposed or coded in their genes ?
Absolutely. In my case my mother was extremely sensitive -- she routinely had precognitive dreams, and I'm sure I have some of her genes. In one instance I tried testing her telepathy with some playing cards. She was at that time knitting and also watching a TV programme. She got the first five cards dead right and I stopped at that point! Years later when I was interested in remote viewing I prepared some targets for her. She had no idea what Latitude and Longitude were! One card was for Heathrow Airport and she sensed a large space with engine sounds, no great match maybe. One morning when she got up and glanced over at the small pack of cards she said she had seen a little pyramid on top of them. I checked -- of course the target was the Great Pyramid at Giza.

I am confident that remote viewing is complete garbage, and also confident that nothing Puthoff has ever proposed in this regardwill ever result in usable or useful science or technology.

I am completely aware of the evidence, and the way Puthoff and Targ failed to remove clues to the nature of the images used in test runs, thereby skewing the results. The vague and subjective nature of this alleged ability make the data received completely unusable, even assuming there is any data transferred at all (which there almost certainly isn't). The CIA has abandoned this process as useless,
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00791R000200180005-5.pdf
which is presumably why Puthoff is now looking into life-after-death studies rather than inertia or RV. I have every confidence that he will fail there, too.
There is an excellent and detailed analysis of the US remote viewing programme here:

https://lfr.academia.edu/SonaliBhattMarwaha?swp=rr-ac-95285973

Edwin May is part of the problem with Remote viewing. Don't trust anything he writes. He took over from Puthoff and Targ and acted as sole judge with respect to the 'accuracy' of many, or most, of the remote viewing experiments. Like Travis Taylor, he has been reluctant to publish full details of his experimental methods, despite repeated requests by David Marks and others. This is not science.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Psychic-David-F-Marks/dp/1573927988

Edwin May is part of the problem with Remote viewing. Don't trust anything he writes. He took over from Puthoff and Targ and acted as sole judge with respect to the 'accuracy' of many, or most, of the remote viewing experiments. Like Travis Taylor, he has been reluctant to publish full details of his experimental methods, despite repeated requests by David Marks and others. This is not science.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Psychic-David-F-Marks/dp/1573927988
Not come across this name before. Not sure why you should mention Taylor in this context. I'm not sure what he can publish as part of a team and a TV series. They want to keep what they have found out quiet until the programmes are broadcast. His descriptions of the various experiments shown in the broadcasts are adequate, if aimed too much at a non scientific audience. But the Skinwalker is not a place where experimental controls can easily be applied, that is the real problem there. It is not a laboratory.

Actually the strangeness of all and it is not paranormal.

In one of the many episodes when Travis Taylor’s experiments failed from batteries losing power unexpectedly or outside frequency waves were disabling his equipment Travis goes into a speech that he is disappointed that Taylor’s team can get no help from Bigelow and his federal government helpers who for many years occupied Skinwalker Ranch.

Travis states the question what is Bigelow hiding ?

Why did Bigelow dynamite the face of the mesa ?

Why are unknown helicopters and planes flying over the ranch at strange times ?

Why are the local indigenous people want nothing to do with ranch, as the county Fire Marshall says he hopes he does not take something cursed with him as he leaves the ranch ?

The Fire Marshall says he hopes his indigenous friends still accept him since he was on the ranch.

Not come across this name before.
Edwin May is co-author on most of the reports you linked to. Marks has written extensively on May, Targ and Puthoff, and their evident bias.

Not sure why you should mention Taylor in this context.
Just trying to steer this thread back to the topic. Taylor is another example of the sort of scientist that Edwin C. May represents; a person who truly believes in their thesis, and is convinced totally by the data that they have collected; but they won't allow peer review or dissenting experts to examine their results in detail. Probably something to do with the Intelligence mindset - even though the results are not secret or classified, neither individual will publish their methods and data in full.

Why are the local indigenous people want nothing to do with ranch,
Some of them see the Skinwalker mythos as presented by Fugal and Taylor as cultural misappropriation. Others might see it as an opportunity to promote tourism. Perhaps this is not a bad idea.

Edwin May is co-author on most of the reports you linked to. Marks has written extensively on May, Targ and Puthoff, and their evident bias.

Just trying to steer this thread back to the topic. Taylor is another example of the sort of scientist that Edwin C. May represents; a person who truly believes in their thesis, and is convinced totally by the data that they have collected; but they won't allow peer review or dissenting experts to examine their results in detail. Probably something to do with the Intelligence mindset - even though the results are not secret or classified, neither individual will publish their methods and data in full.
I'm not sure that Travis actually has any thesis. He seems to be just as mystified at the goings on at the Skinwalker as everyone else. But where I do have reservations is that he never seems to want to confront one obvious fact -- that there is clearly some kind of intelligence behind the phenomena there. If an intelligent life form is at work (and there are plenty of episodes in which this is obvious), then the problem is no longer a scientific one -- it is an intelligence problem. Which is likely why he, with his background in intelligence, especially the UAP research, was put into the ranch. Many of the experiments they have run have demonstrated an intelligence that can anticipate the team's actions and often act to negate them before they can reach some critical data. The other aspect to all this is that someone at a high level wants all this weird activity to be widely recognised. The claim by von Braun that the US was preparing a fake ET threat to justify weaponising space is especially relevant.

I don’t know which episode but Travis Taylor claims he came to Skinwalker Ranch as the biggest skeptic.

He now claims he knows there is something unusual on the ranch and no longer a skeptic plus that constant 1.6 ghz jamming signal and changing magnetic fields.

I'm not sure that Travis actually has any thesis. He seems to be just as mystified at the goings on at the Skinwalker as everyone else. But where I do have reservations is that he never seems to want to confront one obvious fact -- that there is clearly some kind of intelligence behind the phenomena there. If an intelligent life form is at work (and there are plenty of episodes in which this is obvious), then the problem is no longer a scientific one -- it is an intelligence problem.

I have not been able to view any of the tv program and so am only going off of what I read here, which I might have misunderstood. I thought that it was the whole team that believe that there is an intelligence involved.

. The other aspect to all this is that someone at a high level wants all this weird activity to be widely recognised. The claim by von Braun that the US was preparing a fake ET threat to justify weaponising space is especially relevant.
That's an interesting conspiracy theory.

Brownmane I am sorry you don’t get the Skinwalker Ranch cable show.

I think it has a “ easy going “ approach to the unknown.

I was struck by the coincidence of the frequencies measured on the occasion of the sound of the drums in the experiment on the formation of spiral rocks (182 Hz) and a Full Body Healing meditation album – 182 Hz – 1212 Hz (Miracle Meditation Tones , Cell Regeneration Therapy, Meditative Detox, DNA Healing)
On the other hand, it is mentioned that the 182 Hz frequency has the ability to Balance the Solar Plexus Chakra.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/91851651
https://www.digitalsages.us/warning...-solar-plexus-chakra-182-hz-vibrations-music/

Supposed Fortean Vortex in Teec Nos Pos (AZ) 36°55′23″N 109°05′18″W
Tea Krulos, The Accidental Werewolf Chronicler,
Fortean Times Nº329, August 2015, pp.39-41

SKINWALKERS
According to the Navajo (or Diné people) creation story (Diné Bahane’), the first monster hunters were twin brothers named
Naayéé’ neizghání (the Monster Slayer) and Tó bájísh chíní (Child of Water). In the brothers’ world at the beginning of time, the
land was overrun with the Naayéé, a group of gruesome monsters that devoured the brothers’ people.
After disobeying their mother, the brothers caught the attention of Yé’iitsoh (Big Giant) and thus sought out their father, Jóhonaa’éí (the Sun) who provided them with the proper weapons to slay the giant. Wanting to rid the land of the bloodthirsty Naayéé, the brothers systematically used their brains and brawn to ambush Déélgééd (the Horned Monster) and Tsé dah hódziiłtáłii (Monster Who Kicks People Off Cliffs), among others. After slaying these
monsters and leaving their decapitated heads and hides spread across the desert, the brothers made the world a safer place
for its new occupants, the Earth Surface People.
“All of these things happened a long, long time ago, it is said,” according to the Diné Bahane’. But there are some who say the strange and the sinister still lurk in the Navajo Nation. Crypto Four Corners (C4C) is a group based in Teec Nos Pos, inside the Navajo
Nation. This, according to one of the group’s founders, JC Johnson, is apparently a fortean vortex. Johnson told me that his group has tried to track down a variety of cryptids in the Four Corners region of Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico.
These include (but aren’t limited to) Sasquatch, Thunderbirds, Small People 3ft (90cm)-tall humanoids in traditional Diné dress, similar to Leprechauns), and something they dub the “Night Stalker,” a flying, clawed monster that a New Mexico family claimed was terrorising them.
And just like Linda Godfrey, they’ve investigated several reports of the Manwolf, or as Johnson prefers to call it, the Dogman. In Navajo Nation, though, Johnson says reports of Dogman can be confused with the yee naaldlooshii or Skinwalkers, which, according to Navajo beliefs, are evil witches who have the ability to shape-shift into animals. They can turn into any animal, but a common form is a coyote or wolf. It’s said if you look at their eyes, you’ll be placed under a powerful form of mind control. Johnson, a burly outdoorsman, founded C4C along with cryptid investigator David Ortiz and Diné chief Leonard Dan. They’ve investigated Skinwalker encounters, including one in a cave-dotted gorge locals
have nicknamed Skinwalker Canyon. C4C is composed of an eclectic line-up of investigators, “half Navajo Diné,” according to Johnson. With their camo fatigues, generous supply of firearms, and a few heavily tattooed members, C4C looks like a zombie apocalypse survival team straight out of The Walking Dead. The team’s eldest member, “researcher/tracker” Chief Dan, says that he first heard of the Skinwalkers from his grandparents. He says they were at one point helpful to the Diné people, spying on Spanish conquistadors, but eventually chose to take an evil path.
Johnson said in an interview that in order to become a Skinwalker, you must “sacrifice a loved one, sibling, child, someone close
to you.” You then “bring in the body to the group, that they might practise necrophilia, and then feast on some of the body parts.
Later they will take some of the organs and make powders and potions.” Skinwalker apprenticeship then begins.
The main difference between a Skinwalker and a Dogman, Johnson told me, is that a Skinwalker appears to be a normal person most of the time: “They could be sitting next to you in Sunday school at 9am, and at 9pm they take the form of a wolf”.
Dog-man, on the other hand, is a cryptid stuck in humanoid-wolf form permanently.

Whatever they are, they sound pretty horrific. On the other hand, while people at the ranch have reported seeing horrific creatures that could arguably be shape-changing Skinwalkers, I haven't heard of anyone actually being killed or maimed. The main culprits for more serious encounters seem to be the orbs, especially the blue ones.

Whatever they are, they sound pretty horrific. On the other hand, while people at the ranch have reported seeing horrific creatures that could arguably be shape-changing Skinwalkers, I haven't heard of anyone actually being killed or maimed. The main culprits for more serious encounters seem to be the orbs, especially the blue ones.
I consider it necessary to emphasize that these types of phenomena occur in areas called portals or vortices, mainly in the region of Mount Uritorco in the province of Cordoba, Argentina. Appearances of strange creatures have been reported such as flying mothman-type beings, shape-shifters, dwarves and obviously a series of unidentified aerial phenomena.
Precisely in one of those locations where I was able to witness the sound of a strange creature moving through the bushes and the background sound of drums. This geographical point is considered sacred to the aboriginal cultures of the region, evidenced by the presence of bed-rock mortars and megalithic-type formations, although the latter are quite deteriorated. The presence of petroglyphs and mortars excavated in the rock are indicative of sacred or energetic points.

The Uturunco or demon of the Uritorco Mount

Miguel Altamira (2022)

Also known as Runa-Uturungu, or Uturunco, he is the jaguar-man in the Argentine Northwest version. It is generally an old aborigine who at night turns into a jaguar, rolling around on a skin of this animal.
It has great strength and ferocity and due to its intelligence it attacks men without them even realizing it. It devours all types of animals, usually the largest and fattest ones.
His wanderings last until dawn, when he regains his human form. Whoever follows his footprints to avenge an insult is often surprised to see that the marks of his hooves become human footprints.
One way to combat it is by burning the leather that gives it power. When killed he immediately regains his human form.
According to Father Julian Toscano (Argentine priest, historian and archaeologist b1850, there were formerly mestizos in this region who disguised themselves as jaguars to commit all kinds of misdeeds under this guise, using the legend for their shady purposes, and certainly magnifying it.
There is magic and metamorphosis in the myth, its protagonist decides his transformation, rubbing his body on the surface of a jaguar skin spread on the ground. He performs the ritual, alone in the remotest part of the mountain, at the foot of stunted trees or bushes, which make up a vegetal architecture, similar to a cave.
In the conception of ancient man, contact transfers to him by contagion, the form and psyche of the jaguar, in subjection to its rationality. Performing the metamorphosis ceremony, in a vegetal cave and on the ground, means receiving the influence of the demons of the underworld who favor the magical craft of mutation.
One of the curiosities of this legend is that it has currently been related to the famous Chupacabras.
But legend has it that after a fierce battle, Uritorco falls wounded on a stone. Gualumba, terrified when she sees that her love was dying, throws herself at him to protect him and that is when Uturunco strikes his blow, mortally wounding both of them. But Father Sky and Mother Earth, moved, transformed them both into Mountain and River so that no one would ever separate them. Since then, Uturunco haunts Uritorco (now transformed into Cerro Macho) seeking revenge in the form of a black puma with brown eyes. fire, which, when it can, sets fire to the mountains to destroy Uritorco, other times it invokes the fog to hide the greatness of this Hill, but everything it does is in vain. It is said that the Uturunco asks for a sacrifice from time to time to avoid bringing misfortune since his anger causes drought, and thus he wants to prevent Gualumba, converted into the Calabalumba River, from embracing the Uritorco in its channel, but the Light always triumphs over the darkness and the Rain always returns sent by Father Heaven to revive that incorruptible love in the form of a crescent that destroys everything in its path….

1713289714765.png

Artistic representation of the demon of Uritorco Mount

Last edited:
Of course, interpreting such legends is not easy. I am assuming they are trying to describe phenomena using the best analogies they can think of, so what their literal meaning is remains unclear.

Of course, interpreting such legends is not easy. I am assuming they are trying to describe phenomena using the best analogies they can think of, so what their literal meaning is remains unclear.
I completely agree with you. However, the conclusions that I can draw, having read hundreds of legends from my continent, is that the same phenomena that we currently describe as anomalous have been incorporated into those ancestral stories. Although it is not definitive proof, we can at least affirm that these are events that transcend current conspiracies or technology used by world powers. The true origin of the phenomenon itself will remain hidden but the evidence that we can gather generates a certain veracity regarding its physical, spiritual or paraphysical existence.
For example, the fact of the existence in two parts of the world separated by many thousands of miles of two native peoples that make reference to creatures such as skinwalkers or shape-shifters, portals, sounds of drums, shamans that connected with other realities, precisely in those sacred places , spirals whether in the form of megalithic constructions or, as in my country, in the form of petroglyphs, a varied type of unidentified luminous phenomena, such as lights in the sky and orbs.
Undoubtedly it is very striking.

Alford, Peggy E., Anglo-American Perceptions of Navajo Skinwalker Legends, Contemporary Legend, Vol.II, pp.119-136 (1992)

A shadowy figure vaguely resembling a coyote crouches atop a traditional Navajo hogan. In the sinister quiet, broken only by the troubled barking of dogs and bleating of sheep, the shadow drops powder made from ground human bones onto the sleeping victims below, quickly bringing illness and even death (Brady 1984:19-20). A skinwalker strikes again. Such skin walker tales are traditional among the Navajos of the Southwestem United States, where the legends are considered by many of this group to be part of the Sacred Way, their belief system, and so never to be told to people outside the clan. Nevertheless, skinwalker legends have transcended the cultural barrier between the Navajo and the Anglo-Americans and, in so doing, have become Anglo-American contemporary legends of limited distribution. Because the skinwalker legends are told by some Southwestem Anglo-Americans, they are subject to cross-cultural adaption. This study examines the effects of such adaption on the belief and content of the skin walker legends by comparing this tale, as related by Navajo adults and children, with versions told by Anglo-Americans. As such, this cross-cultural analysis adds to the growing body of information regarding the effects of culture and cultural transition on contemporary legends.

https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/cl/article/view/34775/37978

I completely agree with you. However, the conclusions that I can draw, having read hundreds of legends from my continent, is that the same phenomena that we currently describe as anomalous have been incorporated into those ancestral stories. Although it is not definitive proof, we can at least affirm that these are events that transcend current conspiracies or technology used by world powers. The true origin of the phenomenon itself will remain hidden but the evidence that we can gather generates a certain veracity regarding its physical, spiritual or paraphysical existence.
For example, the fact of the existence in two parts of the world separated by many thousands of miles of two native peoples that make reference to creatures such as skinwalkers or shape-shifters, portals, sounds of drums, shamans that connected with other realities, precisely in those sacred places , spirals whether in the form of megalithic constructions or, as in my country, in the form of petroglyphs, a varied type of unidentified luminous phenomena, such as lights in the sky and orbs.
Undoubtedly it is very striking.
I agree completely, in fact I feel increasingly that at one time people all over the world were in close, maybe telepathic contact with each other, and exchanging information. I don't think it is just chance that the spiral shape, for example, is found everywhere. They could sense the earth's natural energies and worked out how to harness them. Then at some stage the knowledge was largely lost, although I think that certain esoteric and cultural groups have always made use of it, in secret if necessary.

Alford, Peggy E., Anglo-American Perceptions of Navajo Skinwalker Legends, Contemporary Legend, Vol.II, pp.119-136 (1992)

A shadowy figure vaguely resembling a coyote crouches atop a traditional Navajo hogan. In the sinister quiet, broken only by the troubled barking of dogs and bleating of sheep, the shadow drops powder made from ground human bones onto the sleeping victims below, quickly bringing illness and even death (Brady 1984:19-20). A skinwalker strikes again. Such skin walker tales are traditional among the Navajos of the Southwestem United States, where the legends are considered by many of this group to be part of the Sacred Way, their belief system, and so never to be told to people outside the clan. Nevertheless, skinwalker legends have transcended the cultural barrier between the Navajo and the Anglo-Americans and, in so doing, have become Anglo-American contemporary legends of limited distribution. Because the skinwalker legends are told by some Southwestem Anglo-Americans, they are subject to cross-cultural adaption. This study examines the effects of such adaption on the belief and content of the skin walker legends by comparing this tale, as related by Navajo adults and children, with versions told by Anglo-Americans. As such, this cross-cultural analysis adds to the growing body of information regarding the effects of culture and cultural transition on contemporary legends.

https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/cl/article/view/34775/37978
Thanks for that, I have downloaded a copy!

I agree completely, in fact I feel increasingly that at one time people all over the world were in close, maybe telepathic contact with each other, and exchanging information. I don't think it is just chance that the spiral shape, for example, is found everywhere. They could sense the earth's natural energies and worked out how to harness them. Then at some stage the knowledge was largely lost, although I think that certain esoteric and cultural groups have always made use of it, in secret if necessary.
Without a doubt we have very similar thoughts regarding ancestral knowledge. I have carried out an in-depth study about bedrock mortars or cupules as they are known in other countries. I have gathered around 2000 articles that mention the presence of these holes in rocks from all over the world. I have personally investigated numerous of them in the provinces of San Luis and Cordoba, Argentina. It is a type of human work that is present throughout the planet, even in regions where there are no signs of any type of contact in known times.
Likewise, megalithic constructions, although they seem to be more numerous in Europe, on the South American continent there are many sites with menhirs or large blocks of stone placed artificially, probably for ritual purposes. I am convinced that both the mortars and the megalithic constructions are linked to some type of channel for the energies emitted by the earth.

Regarding petroglyphs in the form of spirals, there are countless of them linked to the cupules or mortars in Great Britain. In my country, although they are not so numerous, they have been noted in the rock art of many native tribes.

I quote: Tarrel R. Palmer, An Examination of Navaho Witchcraft and its Influence on theThoughts and Actions of the Navaho People, Utah State University, May 1974

"The best medicine comes from the flesh of children. If twin children can be obtained, this makes especially powerful medicine. The bones at the back of the head cut into circle shape and any place where there are skin whorls or spirals such as thumb and finger tips and the balls of the feet are preferred "

Beyond the darkness of these rituals, I cannot help but draw attention to the bone circles and the spiral-shaped areas of the skin.
In this work also references about were-animals and skins.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1968&context=gradreports

I quote: Tarrel R. Palmer, An Examination of Navaho Witchcraft and its Influence on theThoughts and Actions of the Navaho People, Utah State University, May 1974

"The best medicine comes from the flesh of children. If twin children can be obtained, this makes especially powerful medicine. The bones at the back of the head cut into circle shape and any place where there are skin whorls or spirals such as thumb and finger tips and the balls of the feet are preferred "

Beyond the darkness of these rituals, I cannot help but draw attention to the bone circles and the spiral-shaped areas of the skin.
In this work also references about were-animals and skins.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1968&context=gradreports
I think we need to address that this article was written in 1974 and under "Purpose" the author does state that it is written based on his own observations and understanding (as a counsellor of Navajo children) as well as using literature he had cited was from research done prior to 1960s.

The concern I have for someone just perusing this paper is that the author is not Navaho and was in a position of authority over children which had difficulties of some sort. He is not a researcher nor is he indigenous to the area. There is bias. The quote about using children's flesh and skull bones is most likely a misrepresentation of Navajo culture and folklore and can promote racist views.

For some reason I can't directly copy his words from the article.

I think we need to address that this article was written in 1974 and under "Purpose" the author does state that it is written based on his own observations and understanding (as a counsellor of Navajo children) as well as using literature he had cited was from research done prior to 1960s.

The concern I have for someone just perusing this paper is that the author is not Navaho and was in a position of authority over children which had difficulties of some sort. He is not a researcher nor is he indigenous to the area. There is bias. The quote about using children's flesh and skull bones is most likely a misrepresentation of Navajo culture and folklore and can promote racist views.

For some reason I can't directly copy his words from the article.
It is very interesting what you have contributed in relation to this work. Carrying out an analysis of the bibliographical references, I consider that the only thing on which it could have been based if what was written was real should be found in Kluckhohn, Clyde. 1944. Navaho Witchcraft.
I will try to get that book to analyze it.

I have carried out an in-depth study about bedrock mortars or cupules as they are known in other countries. I have gathered around 2000 articles that mention the presence of these holes in rocks from all over the world. I have personally investigated numerous of them in the provinces of San Luis and Cordoba, Argentina. It is a type of human work that is present throughout the planet, even in regions where there are no signs of any type of contact in known times.
We call them cup-marks in the UK. I've seen them all over the country, from Cornwall to Aberdeenshire, also in Brittany, Malta and elsewhere. They have been made over a period of thousands of years by cultures which are not connected to each other, in time or space. Here are some I saw a few weeks ago, in Tregiffian.
cupmarks.jpg

Do they have any significant connection? Probably not, because they are so widely separated in time and space. Making a round hole in a stone with another, harder stone by rotating it in your hand is a straightforward action, and people have discovered this process repeatedly over several millenia. There is no reason to suspect a connection except that these marks were all made by humans (rather than by ants, elephants, or coatimundi).

We call them cup-marks in the UK. I've seen them all over the country, from Cornwall to Aberdeenshire, also in Brittany, Malta and elsewhere. They have been made over a period of thousands of years by cultures which are not connected to each other, in time or space. Here are some I saw a few weeks ago, in Tregiffian.
cupmarks.jpg

Do they have any significant connection? Probably not, because they are so widely separated in time and space. Making a round hole in a stone with another, harder stone by rotating it in your hand is a straightforward action, and people have discovered this process repeatedly over several millenia. There is no reason to suspect a connection except that these marks were all made by humans (rather than by ants, elephants, or coatimundi).

I have investigated cup marks such as those shown in the photographs that I have attached, in which the quantity and precision with which they have been made and the hardness of the blocks in which they are found make it difficult to assume that they have been made for the sole reason of distraction. The time it can take to make a hole of these characteristics with such precision and depth is very considerable. I have measured some up to about 20 inches deep into the rock.
Some have proposed their use as mortars for grains, reservoirs for water, however my assumption is that it was not water for drinking but rather ritual waters, since most of the opportunities are found in areas considered sacred by the native people.

1713388198865.png
1713388222199.png

Back