• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

db6cedd836a65eacd62bbcc6c251b3d6.jpg

Clever fake shadow trick.

Maybe hes a Fakir.

Yeah... Yoda's been doing that kinda gig for so long people are are trying to muscle in.

South Bank will also find the same act sans Jedi aspect!

The maze on only moves when I wear my glasses, when I take them off, stand well back, it's a doddle.

This is good. Stare at the dot on the nose of the negative image of the woman intensely for thirty seconds or so and then look immediately to the whitish blank-space to the right of the image:

Oooh ..... bloody hell! .. I saw a fit brunette floating about! .. that IS good.:eek:

I suppose Model Villages are a sort of optical illusion, so I'll drop this in here. (But if it gets enough interest it could be split off as a new topic.)
The big joy of small villages
By Duncan Leatherdale BBC News

From meta models of models to fantastical landscapes and replicas of much-loved locations, the UK's quaint and quirky miniature villages continue to be a big draw.
The UK is home to more than 30 miniature villages, ranging from hobbyists to full-blown tourist attractions employing professional engineers.
They can be found in weather-beaten coastal resorts, picturesque villages nestled in rolling hills or as complements to major tourist attractions such as Land's End or Blenheim Palace.
Or even just an enthusiast's garden.

Brian Salter, author of Models Towns and Villages, said: "People love going to model villages because we like things in miniatures, we all had toys and there is a nostalgia and old worldliness to them.
"And people like making models because it is a way to build and own something you love when you could never have the real thing."

etc, etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33187404

The model villages featured are

Bekonscot, Buckinghamshire
Bourton-on-the-water, Gloucestershire
Babbacombe, Devon
Bondville, East Yorkshire

and the article is fully illustrated with photos. Enjoy!
(Why they all have the initial B is another Fortean mystery to puzzle over!)

I love model villages!

are there any in Scotland? Just off to read the article now....

I love model villages!

are there any in Scotland? Just off to read the article now....
Not sure but there is a scale model map of Scotland in the grounds of a hotel. It shows all of the mountains and glens and is made from concrete I think. Have to check exactly where it is.

Visited the Bourton On The Water model village many times as a kid, and have been to Babbacombe at least twice.

Isn't there a really famous one in High Wycombe?

I've been to the first 3 on that list.
Bourton on the Water is my favourite place.

Visited the Bourton On The Water model village many times as a kid, and have been to Babbacombe at least twice.

Isn't there a really famous one in High Wycombe?
Without Googling, is Beaconscot somewhere in that area? Not, as I recall, a model of a real village, but quite nice with its working trains.

Without Googling, is Beaconscot somewhere in that area? Not, as I recall, a model of a real village, but quite nice with its working trains.
Bekonscot is in Beaconsfield.

Right - I thought that was near High Wycombe, but I don't travel the the South East that much. Too near to that there London...

Doesn't do anything.

Stare just above the red "3D" text for around 10 seconds.
3D_zpst5s522s0.png
I got a change in depth perception I think between Amazing and 3D. Amazing seemd to drift left a little and seemed further away.

I got a change in depth perception I think between Amazing and 3D. Amazing seemd to drift left a little and seemed further away.

Spot on my friend and 10 points to you :)

Its a basic example but better more graphical looking images can make good use of this technique.

Back