• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Philosophy Student

I've also heard a version in which the teacher puts a chair on a desk and sets the question 'Prove to me that this chair does not exist', and the smart-arse in the class answers 'What chair?'

I did a Philosophy degree, and was frankly disappointed at the lack of this sort of stuff. Too many essays along the lines of Is philosopher X talking rubbish or not?.

I've also heard this one.

Exam question What is the single most important aspect of a convincing argument?

Student's answer Brevity

It's all mostly hogwash and while I was in school I hoped and prayed I'd get a question along these terms so that I could take claim to this actually happening.

running_girl said:
I did a Philosophy degree, and was frankly disappointed at the lack of this sort of stuff. Too many essays along the lines of Is philosopher X talking rubbish or not?.

I know the problem...in reality philosophy courses seem to be more like 'history of philosophy' : what you're tested on is your ability to compare and contrast Wittgenstein's views with Russell's, rather than (as people think) your ability to come up with Smart Answers To Big Questions on your own.

Philosophy is just hot air about unanswerable questions.

If the questions are answerable, you're doing science! 8)

rynner said:

No, more basic.

It asks what questions are, what their purpose is, what they reveal about our being, what possible forms answers would take, and how they relate to our minds, belief systems, and the 'real world'.

theyithian said:
rynner said:

No, more basic.

It asks what questions are, what their purpose is, what they reveal about our being, what possible forms answers would take, and how they relate to our minds, belief systems, and the 'real world'.

Philosophy has several branches, one of which is metaphyscis which you describe above; it was once described to me as 'the study of if'. Unfortunately a lot of it degenerates into word games, and the 20th century was not good for philosophy.

Other branches include Ethics and Logic, the latter being a very solid discipline of anything but hot air.

Very occasionally, you do need to resort to metaphyscics: questions like 'what is a species?' are philosophical rather than matters of fact .

wembley8 said:
Very occasionally, you do need to resort to metaphyscics: questions like 'what is a species?' are philosophical rather than matters of fact .

Sorry to be pedantic but I would argue that this particular question is one that still needs to be debated by scientists since 'the species' is an invention of science. The philosophers can take over when we're done. :)

Again, slightly OT, I saw a students trig papers in Maths once and the question said 'On the adjacent triangle, find x' (where x was the length of one of the triangles sides).

He drew an arrow pointing towards the letter x and wrote next to it...

'Here it is'

What a knob.

Not an UL but in the Communication degree I'm doing just now, one module's grade was based on a presentation on any aspect of the course. I did it on "Giving this presentation", and got an A :) So being a smart-arse can work, as long as you have the audacity to pull it off!

Did anyone else ever get the quiz in school where the first instruction was "Read over all the questions carefully before you start"? If you did that, you would discover that after the last question, it said something like "Now that you've read all of the questions, simply sign your name on the paper and you're done". You'd end up with some students who had followed the instructions, chuckling away at the ones who were furiously scribbling away because they hadn't.

there's a book about logic, very successful in italy these days, whose blurb goes: "this book contains at least one mistake".

I was thinking of this thread during the week when I read that story of the examiners who were instructed by their chief that the comment, "fuck off" on the paper deserved two marks out of twenty-seven or three if he had included an exclamation mark!

By that reckoning, all my classes should get A* for their orals. :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7481715.stm

Review as expletive gets marks

The examiner said the expletive showed some nominal skills

An exam board is to review its marking guidance after one of its top examiners gave marks for a script which contained only a two-word sexual expletive.

The Times reported that Assessment and Qualifications Alliance chief examiner Peter Buckroyd gave a pupil two marks out of 27 for an English GCSE paper.

He is quoted as saying the candidate had demonstrated more skills than one "who doesn't write anything at all".

AQA said this was not in line with its guidelines, which would be clarified.

We do not condone the use of obscenities in scripts

AQA spokeswoman

The pupil is reported to have written "fuck off", and would have had another mark for adding an exclamation point.

Mr Buckroyd is quoted by the Times as saying: "It would be wicked to give it a zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for - like conveying some meaning and some spelling."

'Unique'

An AQA spokeswoman said examiners were instructed to contact the board's offices where they would be advised in accordance with the guidelines of the Joint Council for Qualifications, which represents exam boards.

She said: "As a result, an obscenity should either be disregarded, or action will be taken against the candidate, depending on the seriousness of the case.

"The example cited was unique in the experience of the senior examiner concerned and was used in a pre-training session to emphasise the importance of adhering to the mark scheme: i.e. if a candidate makes any sort of response to a question then it must be at least given consideration to be awarded a mark.

"We do not condone the use of obscenities in scripts: in the light of this incident we will be reviewing our instructions to examiners which will include reiterating the procedure to be followed when encountering obscenities in scripts."

zothecula said:
Did anyone else ever get the quiz in school where the first instruction was "Read over all the questions carefully before you start"? If you did that, you would discover that after the last question, it said something like "Now that you've read all of the questions, simply sign your name on the paper and you're done". You'd end up with some students who had followed the instructions, chuckling away at the ones who were furiously scribbling away because they hadn't.
I remember that one, and I seem to recall that some of the earlier questions required pupils to say something ridiculous out loud, like "I am the leader" or some such guff. It always seemed a bit of a mean trick to play on a class, because after all, there was nothing to indicate that the final instruction was any more important than anything that went before. Yes, the first instruction told you to read the whole thing before answering anything, but then the second question contradicted this, so I thought that was fairly stupid.

And no, it wasn't me who stood up and spouted nonsense during this test. I would have done, but fortunately, shyness prevented me making an arse of myself!

When I was doing my A-levels way back in the 1970's my school decided that a few of us should sit the Oxbridge entrance exams. My parents were approached to persuade them that I had good prospects of gaining a place. I duly sat the exam one very cold winters day, it was freezing. I turned over the front page and read the first question:
A cow has 4 legs and a milking stool has 3. Discuss. :shock:
:shock:
A quick panic stricken scan of the other questions showed that they were all of this arch ambiguous type, right up my street!

The former Mr Snail's university chemistry exams always featured essay questions inviting him to 'discuss' some scientific principle or other*. I never understood how one could satisfactorily discuss this subject - I mean, what's to discuss? :?

* racking my unscientific memory for an example

liveinabin1 said:
in one of my GCSE's I had the question: which should go in the cup first, the tea or the milk?

important question for life, that...

milk first; if you put the tea in first, the heat of it cooks some of the protein in the milk and makes it taste odd...

Re: "This book contains at least one mistake" ...

The statement, "This book contains at least one mistake"...

... and if the book doesn't contain any mistakes...

then the statement itself counts as the one mistake...

or does it? If the statement counts as a mistake, then what the statement states is true, which means the one mistake is not a mistake, which means the statement is a mistake...

:roll:

Discuss:

A dazzling sight, the blackbird that's white 8)
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:36 PM on 11th August 2008

It certainly has the advantage of being able to stand out in a flock.

This rather striking blackbird was spotted sunning itself in a suburban garden.

Its snow white feathers are the result of leucism, a condition which affects the pigmentation of the skin. Unlike albinism, it does not turn the eyes pink.

Birds with leucism or albinism have a shorter lifespan than others because they are more conspicuous to predators in the wild.

The photo was taken by retired parish priest Paul Winn, 64, who spotted the bird in his garden in Moulton, Lincolnshire.

'I was so surprised when I saw it hopping around, he said. 'Sometimes you see blackbirds that are a combination of black and white, but a pure white one is very uncommon. I feel very privileged to have seen one.'

A spokesman from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said: 'You get white blackbirds if there's some genetic variation or mutation.

'It's part of evolution working out what colour is most advantageous.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... white.html

Re: "This book contains at least one mistake" ...

dreeness said:
The statement, "This book contains at least one mistake"...

... and if the book doesn't contain any mistakes...

then the statement itself counts as the one mistake...

or does it? If the statement counts as a mistake, then what the statement states is true, which means the one mistake is not a mistake, which means the statement is a mistake...

:roll:

Ah, but what exactly constitutes a mistake? We could debate that for hours. The placement of punctuation, English/American spelling, the approriateness of foreign expressions... I can feel my eyes glazing over already.

When I started my degree we got a talk from the head of year. One of his stories involved exam marking. One of his exam papers had a Bible reference at the top (my lack of Bible knowledge means that I can't remember exactly what is was), but when he looked it up it said " I can not do this damn thing". He didn't pass, but it's still a great story!

Why does France insist school pupils master philosophy?
By Hugh Schofield, BBC News, Paris

I have been staring in admiration over the shoulder of my 17-year-old daughter, as she embarks on a last mental rehearsal before a much-dreaded philosophy exam.

My primary thought is: Thank the Lord I was spared the torment.
I mean, can you imagine having to sit down one morning in June and spend four hours developing an exhaustive, coherent argument around the subject: Is truth preferable to peace?
Or: Does power exist without violence?
Or possibly: Can one be right in spite of the facts?

Perhaps you would prefer option B, which is to write a commentary on a text. In which case, here is a bit of Spinoza's 1670 Tractatus Theologico-Politicus. Or how about some Seneca on altruism?
I take these examples from my daughter's revision books. My heart bleeds for her, as I look at the list of themes that have to be mastered.

Ruby has chosen to take what they call a Bac Litteraire - the Literature Baccalaureat.
There are alternative, more science-biased versions of the Baccalaureat. They all include an element of philosophy.
But in the Bac Litteraire, philosophy is king

It means eight hours a week of classes, and in the exams it has the top coefficient of seven. In other words, in the calculation of your overall mark at the Bac, it is philosophy which counts the most.

It also means having to master a host of what they call notions - notions, or themes.
Here are some of them from Ruby's books - consciousness, the other, art, existence and time, matter and spirit, society, law, duty, happiness.
And among the writers you need to refer to are Plato, William of Ockham, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Heidegger, Sartre.

Why this emphasis on philosophy in France?
Other countries have school-leaving exams which cover the history of ideas and religion and so on. But the French are very clear that that is not what theirs is.

The purpose of the philosophy Bac is not to understand the history of human thought but to leap into the stream that is the actuality of human thought.
If you learn about what Kant or Spinoza once said, it is not so much to understand their argument as to use their argument.

Napoleon launched the Baccalaureat in 1809, and philosophy was one of the subjects in the first ever exam (though back then it was oral, and in Latin, and only 31 males took it).
The idea behind philosophy was itself entirely philosophical.
In the newly created republic (and yes, I know Napoleon had just made himself emperor, but the point still holds) it was important to create model citizens.

Had not the great writer and thinker Montesquieu himself said the republic relied on virtue, and virtue consisted in the capacity of individuals to exercise their own freely-formed judgment?
So the purpose of teaching philosophy was - and remains, in theory - to complete the education of young men and women and permit them to think.

To see the universal arguments about the individual and society, God and reason, good and bad and so on, and thus escape from the binding imperatives of the now - by which I mean the dictatorship of whatever ideas are most pressingly forced on us in the day-to-day by government, media, fashion, political correctness and so on.

How wonderful, you cannot help thinking. What a great idea. Now that is what I call civilisation.
Or is it? I mean, maybe this is one of those very French situations where the theory is all very well, but somehow reality does not behave as it is supposed to?

Because one of the effects of having such an ideas-based vision of society, and elevating ideas to such heights, is that people actually start believing in them, and then maybe they start thinking the ideas are worth fighting for, or perhaps dying for, or perhaps even killing for. And then what?

A few days ago, for example, a man shot himself dead in Notre Dame cathedral.
Dominique Venner was a philosopher and essayist of the far-right.
In his last blog post he quoted Heidegger saying the last second of a man's life had as much significance as all that went before.
Here was a man, arguably, who fell so in love with his own ideas that he decided to take his life. How very French. :shock:

But that is to be morbid. Back here at home, I am merely awe-inspired by the change that has come over my daughter since she started her philosophy studies.
A year ago she was utterly lost - panicked by the density and abstraction of it all. Today she is not just at ease, she is enthusiastic.
A world of thought has indeed been opened to her.

So is it absurd to desire the impossible? Can one ever be certain of being right? Is art real?
I'll have to ask her

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22729780

NilesCalder said:
My father once related to me the tale of students stopping a discussion by asking: "What are you meaning by 'meaning'?"

Of course this month the FT asks "How Real is Real?"

For some reason this line just sparked off Pop Will Eat Itself's "Def Con One" in my head... which is no bad thing. :)

I recall this UL doing the rounds in my sixth form days in the mid/late 90s. Which was strange as our school did not offer an A Level in Psychology or Philosophy.

Back