• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Queen Mary: Haunted?

Iamroachford

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Apologies if I'm going over old ground here but I stumbled across the website of The Queen Mary liner that is no longer in use.

Some webcams on here show a reputidly haunted swimming pool. The whole ambiance of the place is great IMO. Really dig the 20's & 30's Art Deco vibe that is prevalant throughout the ship.

I'd love to spend some time on there and get a real feel for the place. Anyone know of anything about the boat?

There is a whole tour on the QM now, specifically for the haunted aspect. They really cheese it up with not-so-special effects and chewing-the-scenery tourguides. In the swimming pool, there are fog machines, electric gates that oooooo-pen by the theeemseeeelvesssss, luminous human footprints that pad into the locker room after taking a dip. They take you into the bow area where the collision occurred and subject you to more fog machines and sound effects.

They tell silly stories about "Halfway Harry", who got cut in half playing chicken with the watertight doors and whooo sttiiiiilll hauuunnnts the place, and other over-blown, dummed down versions of stories that are abundant on the web.

Cheese factor: 10 (out of 5)
Effectiveness factor: -8.4

It would have been more effective to have a serious tour that shows the pool and tells the ghost stories and shows the bow area and tells the stories. Flashlight under chin not required.

whoisquilty said:
They tell silly stories about "Halfway Harry", who got cut in half playing chicken with the watertight doors and whooo sttiiiiilll hauuunnnts the place, and other over-blown, dummed down versions of stories that are abundant on the web.

How odd, I'd heard many moons ago the same story related to me by a friend who used to work on the cross-channel ferries, as happening onboard his ship (back when South East England had a ferry industry, before it was asset stripped). I wonder if the story is one of those ubiquitous industry stories/Urban legends or whether the progenitor of the ULs was the Queen Mary story?

I did a quick websearch and found nothing about "Halfway Harry" relating to the Queen Mary. Maybe it's something that they cooked up for the tour. I took the majority of the tour with a boulder of salt.

The problem with the information they were relaying (aside from the campy presentation) was that they didn't give specifics.

"Some people have seen wet footprints in the pool area" doesn't have the credibility that "Johnny Noname saw wet footprints on his rounds in January 1947 and others have seen them too".

I believe the Queen Mary is haunted. It's written about extensively on the web and in print. There are also many television documentaries outlining the hauntings.

I have some B&W photos of the QM, taken by me in Southampton in 1958.

Sadly, no ghosts visible.

Are there any weird tourguides trying to get their acting chops in view?

Wiki has info about hauntings on it.

The Queen Mary is also said to have ghosts on board. Many areas are said to be haunted. People report hearing little children crying in the nursery room and a mysterious splash noise in the drained first class swimming pool. In 1966, 18 year old fireman John Pedder was crushed by a watertight door in the engine room during a drill, and his ghost is said to haunt this area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary

Just the nursery and Swimming pool.

MaxMolyneux said:
In 1966, 18 year old fireman John Pedder was crushed by a watertight door in the engine room during a drill, and his ghost is said to haunt this area..

Aha this must be 'Halfway Harry'.

I did a web search and found a couple more sites listing these deaths by water tight door, one from as recently as Sweden in 2002, so perhaps this is a relatively common accident?

Awww, thats rubbish. I was hoping that the demure spectacle of such a wondeful looking ship would be done justice by the people who worked there, not some namby pamby 'act-tor' hamming up the haunting's.

Such a shame.

Iamroachford said:
Awww, thats rubbish. I was hoping that the demure spectacle of such a wondeful looking ship would be done justice by the people who worked there, not some namby pamby 'act-tor' hamming up the haunting's.

Such a shame.

Namby Pamby?

Mate, thats one classy looking ship even in this day.

I agree Max, I mean that fact that hammy actors running around on it are rubbish :roll: :roll: [/quote]

Nothing Max, it really doesn't matter.

Cheers DPL, I might just do that!!

I think it was the program "Sightings" that captured a black mass
moving up and down the stairways around the pool. IIRC it was
a locked down night-vision cam that they left near the pool overnight.
They also caught a very clear child's shout when their psychic
started walking through the corridors.

TAPS didn't get anything at the Queen Mary, but "Most Haunted"
did get wet barefoot prints leading from the dry pool into the
changing rooms. This caused Richard Felix to
ask: "Is this ghost water?" :roll:

TVgeek

There have been a LOT of ghost encounters aboard the QUEEN MARY. If so much as one-tenth of the accounts I've read on "true ghost story" websites have been accurately reported, then the vessel is most likely genuinely hauned.

But we also have to realize that individuals board the ship WANTING to see ghosts and EXPECTING to see them, so that any stray sunbeam or lunar ray or trick of starlight reflecting through a porthole onto a bulkhead stands a good chance of being perceived as a supernatural entity.

Iamroachford said:
Nothing Max, it really doesn't matter.

Cheers DPL, I might just do that!!

Ok then. SHouldn't of mentioned it then.

Any other sites Oldtimeradio please? Could only find that Wiki link when searching.

MaxMolyneux said:
"Any other sites Oldtimeradio please? Could only find that Wiki link when searching."

There's quite a number of Queen Mary ghost sightings posted to the "true ghost story" pages at Shadowlands.Com. But this is going to be time-consuming, because there are a LOT of pages (hundreds!) to scroll through.

You might also want to check CastlesOfSpirits.Com and the "Obiwan" ghost story site.

For the first time in a long time, you can stay in what's reputedly the Queen Mary's most haunted stateroom ...

Queen Mary allowing guests to stay in 'notoriously haunted' room
Officials with The Queen Mary in California said the retired ocean liner will be renting out a "notoriously haunted" room for the first time in 30 years.

The cruise liner, since turned into a Long Beach hotel, announced Stateroom B340, which has been featured on shows including SYFY Channel's Ghost Hunters and British series Most Haunted, will be available to guests starting at $499 a night beginning Friday, April 13.

"The last time the room was occupied by a guest was in the 1980s," Stephen Sowards, general manager of the Queen Mary, in a statement provided to KABC-TV. "For decades we've had thousands of visitors request to occupy the room, and after 30 years, we are excited to once again extend the offer to our guests."

Officials said paranormal activity in the room has been reported as far back as the ship's final ocean voyage in 1967.

Guests staying in the room reported unusual activity, including lights and water faucets turning on and off by themselves, as well as covers being removed from guests while they sleep. Some reported waking to see a dark figure standing next to the bed.

The Queen Mary said the room comes with standard hotel amenities, as well as a chest containing items that include a Ouija board, tarot cards, a crystal ball and other ghost-hunting equipment.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0.../?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=4

A family sleeping over at Queen Mary, capturing orbs in their hotel room.

Tony Cornell investigated the Queen Mary over a few days, he didn't find any evidence the ship was haunted, and found explanations for the most common reports of strange happenings, his report was ignored by the TV company that had asked him to investigate, and they sexed up the TV show they made off the investigation.

Back