• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Moment Of Your Life (Fortean Or Not)

Blimey @FunkyTT! How awful! Glad you weren't even more badly hurt and hope those scarey days are behind you!

To me, dealing with fear isn't a conscious decision.
This reminds me of my friends husband who was confronted by a knife weilding man who demanded he hand over his wallet while hurrying through Manchester one late night. He was on his way to catch a train and was pushed for time and all he could think was 'bloody hell I haven't got time for all this nonsense I'll miss my train' so he just said 'no' and pushed past him! Blokey was so astonished at his brusque dismissal that he just looked at him in astonishment and didn't even try to come after him!

It wasn't until later he realised that he'd had a close shave and could only think that the thief had just never encountered someone who showed no fear and so his script was disrupted.

The other thing to note was that if my friends husband had been thinking straighter and not been so absorbed in his rush for the train he would have handed over the cash to save his skin as he wasn't exactly short of a bob or two!!

I've always thought that scrambling over roofscapes looks like fun but I've never been brave/foolish enough to try it. So good for you @Stormkhan and I'm glad your clear calm thinking saved you!

If I have had a scary moment, it's been on reflection and way after the fact.
It might just be me but incidents have occurred, I've dealt with them, experienced the outcome, or just shrugged it off.
I can't ever feel scared, as such, apart from one incident ...
For reasons that are long and drawn out piffle, I used to climb the walls and roofs of my school. An urban climber, if you will, before parkour or exploration was a thing.
One cold and frosty night, I lost my grip on a roof peak and slowly slid down the clay tiles towards a three-story drop. I didn't scrabble - habit because I knew I wasn't meant to be there? - but glanced down for finger-holds etc. Nothing. Luckily, it was a slow process and I had a minute to think ... I came to the edge, and jammed my toes of both feet into the rain gutter! No probs!
Taking deep breaths, I looked around, assessed a way to get to a gable and edged my way back, to retrace my upward route and back into my room. It was then that I realised how close to plunging to my death.
I went through a phase of this, but mine was walking over bridge parapets/walls. Old stone arch bridges in the countryside that is.

Back