• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Shadow Man & His Damned Hat

I do believe you have found yourself that most Fortean of Creatures "The Hipster"; half emo, half lumberjack, with a sprinkle of glam. They tend to hang around coffee shops and dabble with shrubbery.
Yeah, but it's those weird, spindly, tapering black "legs" they have that really give me the willies ..... BRRRRRRRR!!

Yeah, but it's those weird, spindly, tapering black "legs" they have that really give me the willies ..... BRRRRRRRR!!
You wait until you spot one with a man-bun. It's enough to send you running....

You wait until you spot one with a man-bun. It's enough to send you running....
Oh, is that a man-bun? I've seen a couple of those. I thought it was some kind of egg-sac they carry on their "heads", full of tiny squirming little hipsterlings. Just so freaky!

Arent flannel/plaid shirts incredibly popular with a certain subset of Americans, usually ones that do activities or work in and around wooded areas, in the UK they are known colloquially as lunberjack shirts.
Yes but Flannel Man has no face so not your average grunge-throwback

Oh, is that a man-bun? I've seen a couple of those. I thought it was some kind of egg-sac they carry on their "heads", full of tiny squirming little hipsterlings. Just so freaky!
No, They wear them for religious purposes.

No, They wear them for religious purposes.
Sikh men, who are the only ones I know of who must wear their hair pulled up for religious purposes, don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts. Even lumberjacks don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts anymore. Only hipsters routinely wear lumberjack shirts, and increasingly sport man-buns, because during the pandemic because no one was available to cut their hair. Frankly, I don't find secular man-buns so reprehensible, whether atop the head or on the behind. But this has nothing to do with the Shadow Man and his Damned Hat, unless the Hat is intended to hide Shadow Man's man-bun. :hoff:

Sikh men, who are the only ones I know of who must wear their hair pulled up for religious purposes, don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts. Even lumberjacks don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts anymore. Only hipsters routinely wear lumberjack shirts, and increasingly sport man-buns, because during the pandemic because no one was available to cut their hair. Frankly, I don't find secular man-buns so reprehensible, whether atop the head or on the behind. But this has nothing to do with the Shadow Man and his Damned Hat, unless the Hat is intended to hide Shadow Man's man-bun. :hoff:
Sumo wrestlers wear their hair in a traditional man bun.

"The chonmage (丁髷) is a type of traditional Japanese topknot haircutworn by men. It is most commonly associated with the Edo period (1603-1867) and samurai, and in recent times with sumo wrestlers. ... In a traditional Edo-era chonmage, the top of the head is shaved."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonmage

He's not even in the Expendables series. That says a lot.
His career was bankrolled by the Gambino family, he got into a bit of bother with them, so he went crying to the FBI (literally). Turned up at court testifying whilst clutching his comfort blanket. Some tough guy

Last edited:
I disagree, the man bun (The correct term " a Millennial Mullet ") might have the power to frighten off the hat man. The hipster religeon requires the Man bun mullet to be grown, once they have attained enlightenment, this can only be achieved after years of visiting sacred temples (called Starbucks).

Sikh men, who are the only ones I know of who must wear their hair pulled up for religious purposes, don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts. Even lumberjacks don't routinely wear lumberjack shirts anymore. Only hipsters routinely wear lumberjack shirts, and increasingly sport man-buns, because during the pandemic because no one was available to cut their hair. Frankly, I don't find secular man-buns so reprehensible, whether atop the head or on the behind. But this has nothing to do with the Shadow Man and his Damned Hat, unless the Hat is intended to hide Shadow Man's man-bun.
Poetic justice.

"Traction alopecia is caused by wearing a hairstyle that continuously pulls really tight on the hair and hair follicles, resulting in such damage that they don’t grow hair anymore," she said. "With regards to the man bun, if they’re not pulling it tight, they’re not losing hair."

The real cause for concern is repeatedly wearing the style, and wearing it too tight. Occasionally pulling your hair back into a bun, ponytail, or any other up-do - provided it’s not pulling on the hair follicles - is perfectly fine, said Fusco. "If the hair is put up loosely you can put it up every day," said Airan.

"It’s like wearing cornrows or weaves or any other tight style," Fusco said. "It has to be continuous to cause damage."

New York dermatologist Lisa Airan agreed. "If the tension is every day and constant, it is more likely to lead to alopecia," Airan said.

Fusco also warns, however, that men who are genetically prone to male-pattern baldness or thinning should approach the man bun with caution. And sticking with the same super-tight do every day is a bad idea."

https://www.sciencealert.com/can-wearing-a-man-bun-really-make-dudes-go-bald

Poetic justice.

"Traction alopecia is caused by wearing a hairstyle that continuously pulls really tight on the hair and hair follicles, resulting in such damage that they don’t grow hair anymore," she said. "With regards to the man bun, if they’re not pulling it tight, they’re not losing hair."

The real cause for concern is repeatedly wearing the style, and wearing it too tight. Occasionally pulling your hair back into a bun, ponytail, or any other up-do - provided it’s not pulling on the hair follicles - is perfectly fine, said Fusco. "If the hair is put up loosely you can put it up every day," said Airan.

"It’s like wearing cornrows or weaves or any other tight style," Fusco said. "It has to be continuous to cause damage."

New York dermatologist Lisa Airan agreed. "If the tension is every day and constant, it is more likely to lead to alopecia," Airan said.

Fusco also warns, however, that men who are genetically prone to male-pattern baldness or thinning should approach the man bun with caution. And sticking with the same super-tight do every day is a bad idea."

As the possessor of very long hair that is generally worn in a plait - I'm too lazy to have any kind of hairstyle that needs thought and attention - this is worrying!

Poetic justice.

I had this happen to me years ago. I had very long hair that I kept tied back all the time. Eventually, my hair was thinning right in the middle.
Got my hair cut short, the hair grew back (mostly).

I had this happen to me years ago. I had very long hair that I kept tied back all the time. Eventually, my hair was thinning right in the middle.
Got my hair cut short, the hair grew back (mostly).
Good job too. Older men with long hair look silly unless they're a musician.

Also popular among the more annoying players in English Premiere League football.

Best get back on track before Enola throws us on the de-rail thread.

I forgot to mention the Mirrored Men - beloved of Monsters Among Us. http://www.monstersamonguspodcast.com/

https://play.acast.com/s/blurryphotos/ep-212-mirrored-men-with-monsters-among-us

https://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2018/10/the-mirrored-men.html

"The Mirrored Men is a phenomenon in which two or three beings are observed looking and moving exactly alike, as if one is looking at a mirror image of the same being. Derek Hayes, host of the Monsters Among Us podcast, was the first to stumble upon the phenomenon after he covered a story on his show and received numerous reports from other people who claimed to have encountered these same beings."

The first case I recall was the Australian Police encountered 3 in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Mirrored Men? Another brand spanking new one on me! Very interesting account of the California sighting, Naughty, but as always there are lots of things you would want to ask that witness. He makes it sound like the three men looked like normal humans, if all freakishly tall. How clear was his view of them? Were they all wearing identical clothing? Was it unusual clothing? Were they carrying anything? Did they interact with their environment in any way? How were they spaced out? How were they positioned in relation to each other? He seems to be saying that he heard them speaking but that all three were moving and behaving in exact unison, so does that mean that they were all talking at the same time? That would be really weird. So many questions!

Back