• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The strange re-appearance of Guy LaFleur

deke3

Junior Acolyte
A somewhat amusing coincidence:

In 1998, I was walking to a university class (Western Canadian university) when I heard a voice behind me with a somewhat familiar, thick Quebecois accent. I turned around, and it happened to be Guy LaFleur (for non-Canadians, a legendary Montreal Canadians hockey player from the '70's-'80's). He was with a group of people walking to a speaking engagement on the campus. I got his autograph.

In 2002, I was having a lunchtime walk with a co-worker (in the same Western city). We were talking hockey, and I began telling him about my previous Lafleur encounter. Just as I was about to say, "and so I turned around and Guy Lafleur was behind me", Guy LaFleur was literally standing in front of us on the streetcorner, smoking a cigarette! This happened so quickly, that as I was telling the story, I said, "so I turned around and Guy LaFleur was standing there, JUST LIKE HE IS RIGHT NOW.". Turns out LaFleur was in town for some event.

Possible conclusions: (1) You can summon Guy Lafleur by mentioning his name; or (2) he is following me for unknown reasons.

No further sightings in the intervening years.

classic, reminds me of a very humourous friend of mine who will fairly regularly slip into a bout of mid-street karate moves and exclamations, only to invariably turn around and be face-to-face with a crowd of our far eastern cousins (whether he plans it this way or not im never quite sure)

I just spoke his name aloud. No joy.
So option (2) is favourite.

Rubbish - I desperately wanted cheese on toast but had run out of bread so I said, (as I always do), "Guy La Fleur I've run out of bread" and lo and behold the next time I visited the lavatory there was Guy La Fluer! In his hands was a lovely artisan bread from Waitrose!

Guy La Fleur doesn't like you Myth, it's just plain and simple.

In 1998, I was walking to a university class (Western Canadian university) when I heard a voice behind me with a somewhat familiar, thick Quebecois accent. I turned around, and it happened to be Guy LaFleur (for non-Canadians, a legendary Montreal Canadians hockey player from the '70's-'80's). He was with a group of people walking to a speaking engagement on the campus. I got his autograph.

In 2002, I was having a lunchtime walk with a co-worker (in the same Western city). We were talking hockey, and I began telling him about my previous Lafleur encounter. Just as I was about to say, "and so I turned around and Guy Lafleur was behind me", Guy LaFleur was literally standing in front of us on the streetcorner, smoking a cigarette! This happened so quickly, that as I was telling the story, I said, "so I turned around and Guy LaFleur was standing there, JUST LIKE HE IS RIGHT NOW.". Turns out LaFleur was in town for some event.

Possible conclusions: (1) You can summon Guy Lafleur by mentioning his name; or (2) he is following me for unknown reasons.

Seriously though you want to be careful. Summoning a creature once is one thing, but forcing it into the role of a minion to do your bidding is another thing entirely.

I hope your wards and pacts are strong. It is crucial the next time you summon Guy LaFleur he doesn't break free and claim your soul.

There are many imps and minions that dwell in the various plains of hell as well as those that call the Outer Darks their home. Guy LaFlaur is one of these and should not be bound by a novice practitioner.

I think both Dee and Mathers mention the perils of summoning Canadian Ice Hockey players in their works, probably worth checking out.

I hope your wards and pacts are strong. It is crucial the next time you summon Guy LaFleur he doesn't break free and claim your soul.

We assume, here, that there is only one.

Bilocation, omnipresence, facioplasty, cloning and twin/tertiary monozygotic siblings are almost also on the continuum of countenacablity.

Exceedingly-unlikely would be circumstances whereby a high-speed impact on the ice would result in the fission product of a duplicate entity (the so-called 'ice twice baby' puck production paradox, that may now have been largely-discredited, following any epitragic experiments last century).

Alternatively, his physical persona may represent a nadir evolutionary plateau-peak (both physiologically and endogenically), and all Canadian ice hockey players are now becoming LaFleuroid.

Wait. Dammit...was it maybe his brother??

Then of course there's that old legend of Guy LaFleur promising a simple country girl the secret of spinning flax into gold if she can only guess his name. Which she does with ease, being an NHL fan.

And that time he beat up three bears after eating their porridge.

Last edited:
Haha! All of your comments have made my day! Well done. I can confirm that the 3 wishes thing is true - and the consequences ARE truly ironic.

A new legend is born!
Guy LaFleur is supernatural!

Well he once killed a man with a guitar string
He's been seen at the table with kings
Well he once saved a baby from drowning
There are those who say beneath his coat there are wings

I've heard that Guy LaFleur always knows what the next winning Lottery numbers are. He walks into a newsagents, writes them down on a form, then tears them up into tiny little pieces and walks away into the sunset with a big grin on his face.

I'd heard that Guy LaFleur can do anything Chuck Norris can, except with more style.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 19.42.53jpg.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 19.42.37jpg.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 19.42.37jpg.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 19.42.37jpg.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 7
being quebecois his name of course would be pronounced as ghee, might help some of you with your incantations ... david plankton once more boating my float with his pop counter culture references

Same thing happend to me last year but with Brian Tatler form the 80,s band Diamond Head ,went to a jam night at our local rock bar with 2 pals, chatting about this and that ,and we get round to talking about local legends when Brian gets a mention,ten seconds later ,the man himself walks in , he gets a round of applause,and we are treated to "Am I Evil"by the resident Dj,next day while visiting a local hospital he walks past me in the corridor,!!!

Guy Lafleur the disco guy? I had no idea he played hockey too

I would surmise/speculate/insist the world agrees with me or be bored into submission, that the mechanism behind your second encounter was this...

You became aware (whether via precognition/telepathy OR subliminally via the normal senses) of Lafleur's near presence and it was this unconscious knowledge that caused your mind and conversation to wander on to the subject of hockey and him, just before you became consciously aware of him standing there.

Back