• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Synaesthesia Thread

taras

Least Haunted
(Point of this post was to get people to send me what colour 'Wednesday' evoked for them. Don't bother PM'ing me your colours anymore, just post them to the thread :D ... Results are below)

This is really interesting me. I can't wait until you get enough responses to share with all of us. I wonder if what I said was similar to anyone else. Very, very cool!

My girlfriend has very particular opinions on the colours of the days, I'll have to ask her. Me, I don't have a particular opinion.

Results

Thanks to everyone who sent in colours. The results-

Purple--------------2- ##
Blue/Purple---------2- ##
Blue/Grey-----------2- ##
Blue----------------4- ####
Blue/Green----------2- ##
Green---------------8- ########
Yellow/Orange-------6- ######
Brown---------------2- ##

Basically, the peak was around green, which is what I was expecting.

The interesting thing that happened, was that most people either picked green - a very 'natural' colour. Of the people who didn't say green, many described the colours as "a rich earthy brown", "blue/grey like distant mountains", "a golden wheat colour" - all natural colours too... not quite sure why that is...

The other option, as suggested by someone, was that Wednesday is coloured green in the Radio Times :rolleyes: - this seemed to bear out actually, as a lot of the Americans surveyed didn't respond with 'green'.

The people who made clear in their responses that it was an immediate thing, that they didn't have to think about, all picked green.

The results are attached in a nice image file too for your pleasure!

Hmmm, I always thought Wednesday was blue.

But I don't read Radio Times....

I thought it was yellow. And I don't read the Radio Times either

Sorry guys!

Wednesday is olive as in oil!

Friday is mauve as in Gimauche!

Maybe yous aren't wearing the right shades!

Try Thompsons Opticians!

pah, fools the lot of you. :rolleyes:

everyone knows that :

Monday=sky blue
Tuesday=blood red
wednesday=sunburst yellow
Thursday=indigo
friday=jade
saturday=iceburg lettice green
sunday=aqua marine

As the whole weekend consists of greens in various variations and wednesday is sunburst yellow how then could wednesday possibly be green? :confused:

IMLO wednesday is green, thursday and friday are red, but thursday is a far more serene dark red. Monday is sort of blue to grey, and I have no idea about tuesday.

Cool, do you think that you assuming green would be the main choice, that you effected the outcome?
BTW when I saw the question, I just thought..erm? Green, yep definately green for absolutely no reason. I like this game!!!:p

taras-I know 28 isn't a huge sample, but I was wondering if you broke it down geographically, as you mentioned in your initial post. I found the Radio Times thing interesting as I too have no idea what it is and chose orange (USA, duh :) ).

My opinion (image attached - also takes account of the hours of the day). I'm quite old fashioned and have always considered Sunday to be the start of the week. So Tuesday is green for me. Though I can see where the Wednesday - is - green people are coming from.

Is it very common to associate days of the week with colours? I thought I was the only one! I picked green and, as I said to Taras in my PM, it was an immediate impression.

BTW Friday has always been brown to me.

Edit - Nearly forgot. I don't read the 'Radio Times' either.

Radio Times reader here. Could be right with that theory because Wednesday seemed green to me right away.

well, at least we didn't say "red, white and blue"

Hmmmm. I'm American and I said blue-grey, but my GF is also American and she said lime green.

On a similar note, one of the best Dr. Seuss books ever was published posthumously and it was called "My Many Colored Days"

"Some days are yellow
Some are blue
On different days
I'm different too.

You'd be surprised
how many ways
I change
On different color days

On bright red days
How good it feels
To be a horse and
kick my heels"

It is a great book. I love the purple day: "On purple days I'm sad. I groan. I drag my tail. I walk alone." There is a small depressed purple brontosaurus in the corner on white background. Across the picture is a purple trail painted by the forlorn dragged tail with streaks that emphasize the mood. Beautiful and poignant. And the ending? "Then comes a mixed-up day and wham! I don't know who or what I am! But it all turns out all right you see, and I go back to being...me."

This is a great book to buy anyone as a gift. Come to think of it, someone I know is preggers, maybe this is the right gift.

SpookyAngel, you are a schoolteacher, yes? Have you ever read "Oh, the places you'll go?" Our church group mentors "kids at risk" and that is a book that I always give to every child I've mentored- they always get something out of it. It's a wonderful positive confidence builder, and realistic too.

"You have brains in your head
you have feet in your shoes
you can steer yourself
in any direction you choose

You're on your own. And you know what you know
And YOU'RE the guy who'll decide where to go."

Sounds almost depressing but these are kids that are nearly abandoned by family, who really are nearly on their own at 8 or 9 years old.

Sorry for going off thread!!!

Cavynaut said:
Is it very common to associate days of the week with colours? I thought I was the only one!
I'd never previously even though about it, but Wednesday instantly conjured up a turquoise green.
Likewise, Monday a silvery colour (kind of moon colour in fact, oddly enough)
Tuesday sort of reddish rust.
Thursday definitely a dark purple.
But nothing much came to mind for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Steve.

This is one of the most interesting topics. It just feels green to me, I don't know why. And I don't know what the radio times are either! ;)
-andi-

I remember a book when I was little that had a rhyme in it. Wednesday's child was full of woe and his skin was exactly the colour of the :rolleyes: smiley. That's why I think Wednesday is green anyway.

If I'm ok then Wednesdays are blue. If I'm not then all days are anything from a mid grey to a midnight black.

You're all crazy.

Monday=Red
Tuesday=Turquoise
Wednesday=Blue
Thursday=Orange/Brown
Friday=Green
Saturday=Black
Sunday=Yellow

A similar discussion surrounds musical keys. Composers such as
Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin* certainly experienced each key as a
different colour, though their schemes do not much overlap. The
latter went so far as to included a light projector in the orchestra
for the symphonic poem Prometheus. This was long before the days
of psychedelia - in 1913!

Anyone interested in this very curious subject should look up the
astonishing eight page article devoted to it in the old
Oxford Companion to Music by the esoteric Freemason Percy A.
Scholes. Here one will learn of the works of such obscure figures as
Alexander Burnett Hector and Mary Hallock Greenwalt, who exhibited
their Colour Organs in 1912 and 1919 respectively. Not to mention
A. Wallace Rimington! It covers the subect of synaesthesia in some
detail. And, when you've digested all that, you can follow the reference to
the mercifully shorter piece on Odour & Music, where we learn of
a most fragrant version of The Song of Solomon from the Paris of 1891.

*Alexander Scriabin, 1872 - 1915, deserves a thread of his own. Heavily
into Theosophy, his planned final work called Mystery was to be performed
in a specially built amphitheatre in India. The instrumental line-up included
a light-projector, incense and a perfume machine. It was to last several
days but Death put a stop to it, when the composer died of a tumour on
the lip. :eek:

Synesthaesia !

Talk about synchronicity!!

Guess what our English Language seminar today opened with? Relating colours to numbers and days of the week. The last Reith Lecture was on this very topic on Radio 4 (Transcript).

Anyway, apparently the part of the brain that handles colours is right next to the part that handles ordered lists and shapes, which explains it! Clearly, some false connections are being made between the two parts, resulting in this phenomenon.

I also came up with a reason why so many people said green or blue:

(Rainbow goes)

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet*
0 --- 1 ---- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 5 ---- 6
Sun - Mon -- Tue - Wed - Thu - Fri -- Sat

So there you go...

* According to a programme I saw on TV a while ago, Violet was just added to fit in with some scientist's theories in the 18th century, indigo and violet are actually the same colour.

Days of the week have colours associated with them!? Nope not here they don't.

Wedensday is yellow
Thursday dark grey
Friday is white
SAturday is pink
Sunday is white
Monday is black
Tuesday is blue
Why ithink that I dont know.I have linked the days to these colours all my life:goof:

Wednesday is purple to me. And I loathe Dr Seuss.

Back