• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ultimate Wizards' Headgear: Goldhutten / Gold Hats

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
This appears to be a comparatively-unknown but fascinating story. I refer to the wonderful archaeological discovery in Europe of large (c 800mm tall) ceremonial pointed hats, beautifully made from beaten gold foil sheeting, apparently for the proto-priests, wizards and witches of our pre-bronze age past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hat

Cône_d'Avanton,_musée_des_Antiquités_Nationales.jpg

Golden Cone of Ezelsdorf-Buch

Golden hats

(or Gold hats) (German: Goldhüte, singular: Goldhut) are a very specific and rare type of archaeological artifact from Bronze Age Europe. So far, four such objects ("cone-shaped gold hats of the Schifferstadt type") are known. The objects are made of thin sheet gold and were attached externally to long conical and brimmed headdresses which were probably made of some organic material and served to stabilise the external gold leaf. The following Golden Hats are known as of 2012:

Gaze in wistful wonder at the stunning workmanship, and also think back to a cold January night, thousands of years ago, when YOUR ancestor watched or wore this hat, glinting in the moonlight. Life then was short and brutal, perhaps: but, shall we ever know what truly went on within the shadow of The Hat??

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the references in documentation about Gold Hats where it says the base end wasn't found to be perfectly circular, it was specifically skull-shaped (with a ovoid profile and cranioposterior 'bulge'). The gold was/is so thin, the entire edifice is remarkably light to permit practical wear, and, has evidence of a honey/beeswax liner for some added structural reinforcement.

I wonder how realistic the calendrical interpretationing is, in detail and in total? Surely there might be a degree of functional projection and associative attribution going on here?

My favourite shape-style is the slant-sided conical type, but the skinny trumpet flare ones are also impressive.

And if the cap fits, wear it.... this would probably never fit my stupid big head. Alongside a picklehaube and an astronaut's helmet, this had got to be my ultimate dream fantasy headgear

ps despite the supra-obvious phallic symbolism, I instinctively feel this was much more than just a fertility hat, or shamanic dancer's prop. It feels more regally ritualistic than that...The tribal court wizard, though, not the queen herself. Utter subjectivity, but such a stunning piece invokes visceral opinion

Last edited:
Even with thin metal like that, it would still be a very heavy hat to wear. Presumably only worn for short periods, to perform certain rituals.
Just an idea, but perhaps the beeswax was used as a support when working the metal, in much the same way that pitch is used by chasing/repousse artists of today? They may not have had pitch to work with, so used the beeswax instead. The craftsman probably left some of it in place as he worked.

Last edited:
They are a bit impractical: I needed to have a hole made in the roof of my car.

In this neck of the woods, the headgear of choice is a black felt millstone and I don't like to be upstaged! :rolleyes:

I was reminded of the Spacing Guild from the Dune miniseries , but even their hats are less than half the height of these gold artifacts.

dune-spacing-guild-1.jpg

I was reminded of the Spacing Guild from the Dune miniseries , but even their hats are less than half the height of these gold artifacts.

dune-spacing-guild-1.jpg
They 'bout to drop some fire dance moves in this music video.

dune-spacing-guild-1.jpg
Always fun looking at a chorus line like this. Guy in the middle knows his moves. Next two guys are the stand-ins, they do too, guys on the end thinking about the grocery list.

Back