• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Vardoger With The Phantom Knockers

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Get your mind out of the gutter. I simply mean this seems to be some combination of the two phenomena..if indeed they're separate things.

The phantom knock at the door when you're in bed is a widely experienced thing and you can find plenty of accounts online. As reported on here previously my mum, pre-obvious dementia, was hearing it every damn night/morning. There was never anyone there. Its usually explained as hypnogogic/pompic hallucination.

Well this morning, about 7:40 am I was awoken by a "did someone just knock on the front door?" sound. Fearing it might be some kind of early morning parcel delivery and he'd go before I could get dressed and dash downstairs I ran straight into the next - the front - room to look out of hte window..where I could see there was no one outside. Gate closed, no person, bike, or vehicle around.

I went back to bed, now awake and thinking about the whole phantom knock business and my mum and...within minutes "knock knock" at the front door. I dashed down and it was a postman with a delivery. It can't have been him a few minutes earlier as he had a red van with him.

The "imaginary" knock seems to have woken me in preparation to answer the real one.

Get your mind out of the gutter. I simply mean this seems to be some combination of the two phenomena..if indeed they're separate things.

The phantom knock at the door when you're in bed is a widely experienced thing and you can find plenty of accounts online. As reported on here previously my mum, pre-obvious dementia, was hearing it every damn night/morning. There was never anyone there. Its usually explained as hypnogogic/pompic hallucination.

Well this morning, about 7:40 am I was awoken by a "did someone just knock on the front door?" sound. Fearing it might be some kind of early morning parcel delivery and he'd go before I could get dressed and dash downstairs I ran straight into the next - the front - room to look out of hte window..where I could see there was no one outside. Gate closed, no person, bike, or vehicle around.

I went back to bed, now awake and thinking about the whole phantom knock business and my mum and...within minutes "knock knock" at the front door. I dashed down and it was a postman with a delivery. It can't have been him a few minutes earlier as he had a red van with him.

The "imaginary" knock seems to have woken me in preparation to answer the real one.
Yes, that's the Sound Vardoger. Not an unusual event to experience here in Norway. Actually seeing a Vardoger is very rare.

Techy is working at the office rather than from home today. I haven't heard from him all day which is unusual although he was expecting to be busy.
He's normally back about 5. We have a tracking app so I know he reached work but it's not showing him driving back yet. Yesterday the app didn't work well so he was home before the app showed him leaving work.

Anyway... I was upstairs just now, feeling slightly worried because it's windy and he should be on way home, and I heard his key opening the front door.
But he's not here! :omg:

Vardoger time. :wink2:

Looking around for where to post this and this seems a good enough place - admins feel free to move it to a better thread. I'm just back from holiday, and was staying with friends for some of the time, in a remote hamlet. I had the feeling there was some minor haunting going on at their house, due to the occasional sound of footsteps and creaking floorboards in one first floor room, heard from the ground floor when no-one was upstairs, and a cry of surprise or pain that I heard from upstairs at one point, and a vague sense of presence upstairs (not nearly as intense as a feeling of being watched that I had when I lived in a haunted house). One day I was in the house with my wife, our friends were out working and said they would not be back until midnight at the earliest. My wife and I had retired to the first-floor bedroom, when, at 11pm, we both heard a car pull up outside and the sounds of our friends' voices as they got out of the car, and car doors slamming. The voices stayed outside conversing, and after a few minutes had an odd muffled/echoey quality, I could only imagine that they had a car door open and were rummaging around inside for something. My wife looked out of the window, since we had not been expecting them so early, and they were spending a lot of time outside without coming in - but could see only darkness through the window with no sign of life. After some minutes, in which the voices of our friends were clearly audible to both of us, the sounds stopped, and we went to sleep. We queried our friends the next morning at breakfast, and they insisted they were working until midnight, and arrived home about ten minutes later, and had not come by early for any reason - being very busy at work. Yet we definitely heard them at 11pm. Extremely strange.

This morning I was upstairs when I heard what sounded like the front door opening. First the key, then the door being shoved, although I didn't hear it hit the tinkly mobile as I'd expect.

Went downstairs, no Techy, no car outside, nobody there. Started thinking someone had broken in but that wasn't the case either.

Having ruled everything else out I now reckon it was one of the cats noisily opening the back door flap. Not entirely convinced though.

Having ruled everything else out I now reckon it was one of the cats noisily opening the back door flap. Not entirely convinced though.
Cat mark 2 seems to take great delight, (when I'm not immediately available to respond to her whining to make me open the door for her) in giving the cat flap a damn good battering even though she's capable of jumping straight through. Often happens at night and wakes me up, done in a girly hissy fit I'm sure:chuckle:

Cat mark 2 seems to take great delight, (when I'm not immediately available to respond to her whining to make me open the door for her) in giving the cat flap a damn good battering even though she's capable of jumping straight through. Often happens at night and wakes me up, done in a girly hissy fit I'm sure:chuckle:
Our cats sometimes burst through the flap when they've changed their minds about taunting the local thug-moggies. :chuckle:

Our cats sometimes burst through the flap when they've changed their minds about taunting the local thug-moggies. :chuckle:
Back when we had a cat flap, one of the local swagger cats decided it would come in and taunt the Mighty Huntress, who just sat in her cosy bed on the side, watching it. We managed to lock the cat flap, intending to dissuade it from making a re-entry, and it was so freaked out that it managed to burst through the locked flap, never to come back again.

Back