• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Maybe countless years ago that was true. It certainly isn't now. What is pumped into cows/bulls/cattle while they're alive as well as after killing them for consumption is just as chemical laden as most other foods.

The food industry is one big round up of chemicals to increase profits.

A quick search turned up this:

https://www.salon.com/2014/05/01/5_...d_industry_is_pumping_into_your_meat_partner/

edit: I'm a veggie and I'd never eat that Beyond Meat shit or any of the rest of the processed 'plant based' toxic swill.

Well I say never, it depends how much you'd be paying me.

Although I don't agree with shooting living animals, Mr Maximus Otter's shooting of deer is at least meat with no chemicals added.
As a young'n, I was drenching cattle on my parents place and one of them threw it's head just as I triggered the dose. The result was drench all over the inside of my forearm.

I continued on drenching the other cattle, returning them to a new paddock and then went to lunch. Through lunch I started feeling a bit crook and within another half hour I had turned green, with total bodily emesis.

I was this way for about 36 hours.

I hadn't been off the property for a few days, so I couldn't blame it on a virus, and it didn't effect others at lunch so it wasn't food poisoning. I can only put it down to not washing the drench off my innerarm.

So I agree with you Ross, the stuff that goes into our edible beasties is just plain Nasty.

Anyone tried these yet?
£9;

steak.jpg

Just got a pack of BBQ Pork Rib crisps. Vegan.
Dead cheap, they weren't selling.
Taste OK ... but I'm not a fan of crisps.
Meh. Salt intake.

Maybe countless years ago that was true. It certainly isn't now. What is pumped into cows/bulls/cattle while they're alive as well as after killing them for consumption is just as chemical laden as most other foods.

The food industry is one big round up of chemicals to increase profits.

A quick search turned up this:

https://www.salon.com/2014/05/01/5_...d_industry_is_pumping_into_your_meat_partner/

edit: I'm a veggie and I'd never eat that Beyond Meat shit or any of the rest of the processed 'plant based' toxic swill.

Well I say never, it depends how much you'd be paying me.

Although I don't agree with shooting living animals, Mr Maximus Otter's shooting of deer is at least meat with no chemicals added.
As ever there is a choice; here in the UK Organic Soil Association meat is available in some farm shops, online and the better supermarkets and you know exactly what it has been fed, where it has come from and that it hasn't been given growth promoters etc. But if you buy microwave burgers or frozen kebab meat from Iceland then I expect some of what you state applies.

We now have a farm shop where I live that is farming regeneratively and everything you buy is produced on that farm. Their free range eggs are so fresh and delicious and they they even refuse even to use nitrates and nitrites in the sausages and bacon. You can see the animals grazing in the fields and they don't pump their animals full of hormones or chemicals. BUT the animal in question will have been slaughtered for me to eat it and I fully respect vegetarians for their moral stance. I do struggle with why vegans wouldn't eat those eggs though, the chickens are running around the farmyard and not under any stress or duress and so I am curious to know why they wouldn't.

As for the ultra-processed fake meats, I noticed my local Tesco has relocated them to a smaller fridge but there are still huge gaps with no product, so it does seem that bubble has burst.

As ever there is a choice; here in the UK Organic Soil Association meat is available in some farm shops, online and the better supermarkets and you know exactly what it has been fed, where it has come from and that it hasn't been given growth promoters etc. But if you buy microwave burgers or frozen kebab meat from Iceland then I expect some of what you state applies.

We now have a farm shop where I live that is farming regeneratively and everything you buy is produced on that farm. Their free range eggs are so fresh and delicious and they they even refuse even to use nitrates and nitrites in the sausages and bacon. You can see the animals grazing in the fields and they don't pump their animals full of hormones or chemicals. BUT the animal in question will have been slaughtered for me to eat it and I fully respect vegetarians for their moral stance. I do struggle with why vegans wouldn't eat those eggs though, the chickens are running around the farmyard and not under any stress or duress and so I am curious to know why they wouldn't.

As for the ultra-processed fake meats, I noticed my local Tesco has relocated them to a smaller fridge but there are still huge gaps with no product, so it does seem that bubble has burst.
Being a tightwad financial savvy type, I, for years, only bough the cheapest eggs I could get.
When a shop in town started selling local eggs (coming from a nearby village), I bought some (even though they are more expensive) and what a difference.

Larger, less 'watery' and far more taste.

If I by 12 at a time as I usually do, 8 or 9 at least, are double yolkers (I'm not sure if this means anything regarding the health of the chickens though).

Being a tightwad financial savvy type, I, for years, only bough the cheapest eggs I could get.
When a shop in town started selling local eggs (coming from a nearby village), I bought some (even though they are more expensive) and what a difference.

If I by 12 at a time as I usually do, 8 or 9 at least, are double yolkers (I'm not sure if this means anything regarding the health of the chickens though).
My understanding is that double Yorkers come from certain breeds of chicken that are not prolific layers and therefore not used in intensive egg units

My parents kept poultry so I had the opposite experience of, when I had eggs not from our own hens for the first time, wondering why they were so tasteless. I swear different breeds' eggs tasted differently as well. My favourites were the marans' eggs.

https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/marans-chickens/

The problem as I see it the air, land and water has been poisoned for so long that there's now chemicals in everything we eat organic or not although organic is much, much better than non organic.

Eggs - most vegetarians and vegans don't eat them as, for want off a better description, eggs are liquid flesh as it were. I have to stress that although I'm a veggie I couldn't careless what anyone else eats.

Last week, our canteen was doing a promotion of vegan food and all menu items were vegan. The staff pointed in the grand manner to the offerings like a French Waiter working their way towards a large tip. I walked past and bought a ham and cheese baguette instead. It was almost like they were astonished I could ignore their promotion but the thing is, I’ve developed a resistance to unsubtle nudges like this and will always use my option of choice.
After buying my baguette, I was asked why I’d gone for that option and asked what were the main ingredients. The guest chef in charge of the enterprise said ‘Pea Protein. It’s fascinating stuff! ’
’What? Peas?’ I asked. I think we all realised this conversation was going nowhere so I left the stage.

However. It turns out pea protein may be interesting after all…

Heavy metals are the leading pea protein danger everyone needs to know about.

A shocking study by the Clean Label Project discovered that plant-based protein powders, like pea protein, actually contain dangerously high levels of heavy metals. Think lead, BPA (a chemical commonly used in plastic products), cadmium, and arsenic, which were “present in top-selling nutritional protein powder supplement products.”

In fact, the study revealed that:

• 75% of the 53 brands tested “had measurable levels of lead.”
  • 55% of the brands had “measurable levels of BPA.”
  • Products that were certified organic had “twice as much heavy metals.”
So, does this mean pea protein powder is out of the picture for those pursuing a plant-based diet? That depends on whether you’ve carefully researched which brand to buy from.

As a young'n, I was drenching cattle on my parents place and one of them threw it's head just as I triggered the dose. The result was drench all over the inside of my forearm.

I continued on drenching the other cattle, returning them to a new paddock and then went to lunch. Through lunch I started feeling a bit crook and within another half hour I had turned green, with total bodily emesis.

I was this way for about 36 hours.

I hadn't been off the property for a few days, so I couldn't blame it on a virus, and it didn't effect others at lunch so it wasn't food poisoning. I can only put it down to not washing the drench off my innerarm.

So I agree with you Ross, the stuff that goes into our edible beasties is just plain Nasty.
I work with a lot of raw fleece and get asked how to go about scouring it, from time to time. Someone new to it was panicking about finding "fleas" (sic) in it and I tried to explain to them, you need to worry far more about residues from a recent sheep dip far more than you need to worry about encountering anything... live. But then I did give them a warning about leptospirosis just to really give them summat proper to worry about...

Re. price of venison. So many road kills round here. I'm guessing you have to get the guts out really quickly to stop it spoiling but I've seen people over and over pull up their 4 x 4s and pick up a dead pheasant and take it home to eat. The deers get left even if they're fresh.

I got a posh farmer to pick up a long dead pheasant from my neighbour's front lawn, the other year, as the price for letting him take a recently dead un from the lane outside our house... He did it cheerfully. My neighbour had been so freaked out she just left it there for a week or so. We live close to a shoot and it's nothing to wake up and see half a dozen golden pheasants walking about on our humble council house front lawn. The escapees live in the hedge next to our house.

My lot is cheap because its stew meat.

Anyhow...Local restaurant, I saw idly, are offering Beyond Meat burgers.

A; stuff in the press

B; Whats in it?

Cant they do nut cutlets which we know whats in, and can be made on the premises?

Last week, our canteen was doing a promotion of vegan food and all menu items were vegan. The staff pointed in the grand manner to the offerings like a French Waiter working their way towards a large tip. I walked past and bought a ham and cheese baguette instead. It was almost like they were astonished I could ignore their promotion but the thing is, I’ve developed a resistance to unsubtle nudges like this and will always use my option of choice.
After buying my baguette, I was asked why I’d gone for that option and asked what were the main ingredients. The guest chef in charge of the enterprise said ‘Pea Protein. It’s fascinating stuff! ’
’What? Peas?’ I asked. I think we all realised this conversation was going nowhere so I left the stage.

However. It turns out pea protein may be interesting after all…
Same thing happened in our canteen (caterers are part of a big national company). Didn't last long as omnivores wanted choice and didn't want fake meat and vegetarians wanted healthy vegetarian food.

I very much doubt those cooks/chefs in your canteen @Analogue Boy were vegan and so it just goes to show how it is driven by multinational companies promoting high profit margin pea protein as the next big thing and pushing it relentlessly on social media. Supermarkets like Tesco have tried to greenwash their carbon footprints by installing pea protein fake meats next to actual meat fridges, but I doubt if any of those Tesco executives who 'escaped' to their Cornish/Norfolk second homes over Easter will have sat down to a vegan Easter lunch comprised of pea protein chemically processed to look like meat

Re. price of venison. So many road kills round here. I'm guessing you have to get the guts out really quickly to stop it spoiling but I've seen people over and over pull up their 4 x 4s and pick up a dead pheasant and take it home to eat. The deers get left even if they're fresh.

There’s no fixed guidance as to how soon after death a deer should be gralloched; “ASAP” is all you’ll see. I am aware that (human) blood starts to decompose about four minutes after death (IIRC), so early bleeding of the carcass is recommended.

I think that the reason that most people won’t retrieve a deer is that they’re intimidated by its size.

My concerns about eating roadkill would be:

a) Freshness.

b) Did the impact rupture the GI tract, causing stomach contents to contaminate the meat?

- and last but not least -

c) Was the deer suffering from some illness or infected injury that caused it to stray in front of a car?

Absent any issues as above, it should be fine to prepare and eat.

maximus otter

There’s no fixed guidance as to how soon after death a deer should be gralloched; “ASAP” is all you’ll see. I am aware that (human) blood starts to decompose about four minutes after death (IIRC), so early bleeding of the carcass is recommended.

I think that the reason that most people won’t retrieve a deer is that they’re intimidated by its size.

My concerns about eating roadkill would be:

a) Freshness.

b) Did the impact rupture the GI tract, causing stomach contents to contaminate the meat?

- and last but not least -

c) Was the deer suffering from some illness or infected injury that caused it to stray in front of a car?

Absent any issues as above, it should be fine to prepare and eat.

maximus otter
This vegan and vegetarian thread has taken an unlikely turn :hahazebs:

Back