• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It seems odd that after all the build up to this series It's all but done. I've greatly enjoyed at least two episode and liked another two. After last night's I'm thinking there's still life in the show. I hope they go ahead with more.

Wait a sec, when did The X Files become The Stand? Bit disappointed Mulder and Scully were apart till the end, but a triumphant return for what's left of the Cigarette Smoking Man, and a muted but welcome reminder of Agent Reyes (what happened to Doggett, then?). And Scully really is part alien! They can't leave us hanging there, we have to have a resolution! Although the other seasons used to end on cliffhangers too, so that was faithful I suppose.

What? Scully is an alien hybrid now? I haven't seen the new series but that sounds rather like Jumping the Shark.

What? Scully is an alien hybrid now? I haven't seen the new series but that sounds rather like Jumping the Shark.

Nope, that is the one with the super soldier and Michael McKean.

Last edited:
Face swapped Mulder and Scullly look like a great synthpop band

x10DUMe.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/x10DUMe

How do I "dislike" that image? Or indeed unburn it from my retinas?

As for the final episode to this odd little series, it all felt like a condensed version of the old X-Files, as if they were trying to squeeze in every theme they'd ever covered. In fact, that applies to all 6 episodes, not just the last one.

In some ways, the "revived" X-Files resembles the new Doctor Who - very enjoyable, a huge pleasure to see it return at all, great that a new audience has been introduced to a classic show, but... there's something missing, that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the new tendency of both shows to try to destroy the world every season.

Also, now I've noticed how much the CSM looks like Arsene Wenger, it puts his plans for world domination into an entirely new perspective.

Changes the way you look at Cancer Man as well.

A belated ba-dum...TISH! to you, sir. Apologies for the delay.

I was watching an old episode of the X-Files on TV last night - a UK Freeview channel called Spike, somewhere in the low 30s channel-wise - and a couple of things caught me off guard. Well, a couple of things other than how ridiculously young Duchovny and Anderson looked...

It was the episode about attacks by a suspected goatsucker on Mexican migrant workers, and a couple of times, Mulder mentioned something about fourteen events. It took me a while to realise that he was talking about "Fortean" events, but he was probably the only person I'd ever heard use that word on the TV since Lionel Fanthorpe, and definitely pronounced it as if it were the number, with two syllables.

The other oddity was that everyone was talking about "El Chupacabra", but for some reason, I'd always thought that "Chupacabras" was both singular and plural.

Apart from that, though, I'd recommend the X-Files on Spike of an evening. If, like me, you can just about stay awake until 10 at night, it's a good slice of creepy nostalgia!

Any news yet on if the mini-series will be coming back. Not sure I'd like that ending to be the last thing we see of Mulder & Scully.

I actually quite enjoyed the two young agents and would not be opposed to the idea of another 6 parter to segue into a new regular 24-ep season of the X-Files reopened with the new agents and periphery characters such as AD Skinner etc... with the occasional cameo from M&S.

The other oddity was that everyone was talking about "El Chupacabra", but for some reason, I'd always thought that "Chupacabras" was both singular and plural.

It is "El Chupacabras", you just don't pronounce the "s".

Right - I hadn't considered a silent "s". I know that I've seen it written both with and without the final letter, and I was hoping that the X-Files hadn't fallen for a schoolboy error!

Seems to have slipped under all our radars but it seems it was announced in October that there will be a 10 episode season 11.

I'm hopeful they let this one breath a little. Season 10 felt a bit like a compilation of all the main arc content into the 6 episodes.

Nice to see a return to the smaller-scale, intimate stories The X-Files do so well - hey, waidaminnit!

Nice to see a return to the smaller-scale, intimate stories The X-Files do so well - hey, waidaminnit!
Yeah quite. I loved that stuff and the whole alien conspiracy arc leaves me cold.

Now is your chance to turn your children into x-philes. There is a children's book on the way, depicting child versions of Mulder & Scully solving mysteries on a camp out. I don't feel that the illustrator captured their essence but hopefully the writer did.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Files-Eart...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491247916&sr=1-1

So the first case. They meet ‘Five Get Off Their Tits on Mushrooms in Dorset’?

Hope any new X Files is better than the last one. That was a hostage situation.

It looks OK - well, more than OK, and I'll no doubt watch it - but it doesn't look like we'll be getting any episodes like the brilliantly-funny "lizardman" one from the last season. Maybe, just maybe, that trailer only contains material from the first couple of episodes, and it will change tone after that. Like others have mentioned, the whole "alien takeover" arc is much duller than it should be, and interests me far less than the standalone stories.

On a plus note, does anyone else think that the music in that trailer (from about 0:53 onwards) sounds extremely Star Wars-y? Very atmospheric!

What's happened to David Duchovny's face in the last year or so?

And yes, @Peripart it does sound a bit Force Awakens doesn't it?

The new season starts tonight in the US - anyone know where to see it in the UK? Do Channel 5 still have the rights?

Do Channel 5 still have the rights?
They do. I took a look on their Facebook page, someone asked when it airs, but someone else responded with-
They also never give you a straight answer about anything, their "customer relations" is terrible - look how long people have been asking about Gotham Season 3! (I got fed up of waiting and bought the box set)
So :dunno:

I watched the new X-Files episode—'underwhelming' would be a polite way of describing it. More bluntly, I thought it was rubbish.

I watched the new X-Files episode—'underwhelming' would be a polite way of describing it. More bluntly, I thought it was rubbish.
I'd agree, but I felt that way about all the "mythology" episodes since about season 5. I've still got high hopes for the monster of the week episodes.

Reactions: Jim
I'll withhold judgment until I've seen subsequent episodes.

It's common for re-boots and season premieres to be little more than scene- and context-setting exercises like last night's episode.

In addition, this particular premiere had to make room for some notable revelations (which I'll demur from specifying, insofar as they're significant spoilers).

Nonetheless, I'll mention one ... We finally know the Cigarette Smoking Man's real name ...

Back