• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

The fabulous Ronettes from NYC, who gave me my nickname, they had a hit in 1963 with 'Be My Baby':

1676242968098.png

I'm named after a dog.

My grandmother's Great Dane, to be precise. But if I'd been named after the German Shepherd (which was my mother's favourite dog), I'd be called Tinkerbelle.

I have no idea what posessed my mother to name me after HER mother's second-favourite dog. She did give me the middle name Wendy though....
Edna was the Great Dane?

My Father was named after his mother's Swiss Italian stepfather but he never went by those names just a shortened version of his surname.
My youngest daughter has named her son after him ( Alexander) and the second name after her husband's Father.
MY cousin has since found lots of the same name through the family history.

I think I have a knack for looking at someone and guessing their name. Sometimes, even when I know their name, I think it should be something else. For eg Mick Jagger looks like a Timothy to me.

(I've got Maximus as a Desmond and
Yithian as a Rupert).

This is incorrect.

I'd prefer not to see it appear on the board, but a good number of people know my name and it's a fairly common one—as is Maximus's.

Back on topic!

Apologies if you've seen this one, and apologies if it is truly apocryphal:

News Bunny also stood for Parliament representing the "L!VE TV Party" in the 1996 South East Staffordshire by-election, polling 85 votes. In order to do this, Mirror Group employee Ashley Hames had to change his name to "News Bunny" for the purposes of the election. According to an apocryphal story circulating among journalists at the time, during the campaign a stunt went wrong and the hapless hack was arrested for obstruction. As there was a police case pending against him, he was unable to change his name back for some time and had to live as "Mr N. Bunny" for weeks longer than he had expected. According to Hames, Kelvin McKenzie proclaimed the arrest of News Bunny on camera as, "the best (expletive removed) piece of television I've ever seen in my life!"

A man tries to rob his own son at knifepoint for £10.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-64916123

The victim instantly identified his father from his voice and eyes.
The stunned boy replied: "Are you serious? Do you know who this is?"
The attacker said he didn't care but the teenager then pulled down the snood to reveal his father and asked: "What are you doing?"
He responded: "I'm sorry, I'm desperate."
Oh well that's okay then..

He got 26 months in prison.

I'm named after a dog.

My grandmother's Great Dane, to be precise. But if I'd been named after the German Shepherd (which was my mother's favourite dog), I'd be called Tinkerbelle.

I have no idea what posessed my mother to name me after HER mother's second-favourite dog. She did give me the middle name Wendy though....
I'm named after a kid who was shouted at a lot in hotel room next to the room I was told I was conceived in. My Mum just liked the sound of his name.

Children should be named after where they're conceived. You'd have names like Park Bench, Bus Shelter, Tesco Car Park, Cortina, etc. Getting married would then be interesting as well.

'Park Bench do you take Bus Shelter to be your lawfully wedded wife.....'.

Children should be named after where they're conceived. You'd have names like Park Bench, Bus Shelter, Tesco Car Park, Cortina, etc. Getting married would then be interesting as well.

I have a daughter named Vienna and one named Riyadh. Neither of them were conceived in these places. In fact, I've only been to Vienna once, and it rained. Never even visited Riyadh.

My Father was named after his mother's Swiss Italian stepfather but he never went by those names just a shortened version of his surname.
My youngest daughter has named her son after him ( Alexander) and the second name after her husband's Father.
MY cousin has since found lots of the same name through the family history.
I'm named after my mam's budgie. I'm the first boy child in generations who wasn't named Charles or Henry in the idea we are somehow descended from the Stuarts.

I have a daughter named Vienna and one named Riyadh. Neither of them were conceived in these places. In fact, I've only been to Vienna once, and it rained. Never even visited Riyadh.
You should have gone to Riyadh. It wouldn't have rained there.

Oh what beautiful names!!
I wanted Lucia for a girl, and Roman for a boy - both Polish names.

That is the funniest comment I have ever read!! :)
You forgot Back Seat!! LOL

There's a town in Yorkshire called Wetwang........ WTF?
It's up on a ridge in the Wolds, between me and Hull. A fairly featureless and very small place with a lovely duckpond. But it's the site of many Bronze and Iron Age burials - on account of it being visible for about 20 miles in each direction. Well, the ridge is. I don't think Wetwang was there in the Bronze Age. And if it was, they were probably sniggering about the name then.

Back