• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slipping

I'm guessing that was re-named at some point, after Churchill and so can't do a look up for you in the 19thC newspapers or I would. ...

Here's the outline of the pub's history, from its website ...

Over the years, The Churchill Tavern has transformed from being the site of the Isabella Baths (1816), a boarding house and the Paragon Hotel (1868), the Van Gogh Pub (1961), Steptoe’s Pub (1983) and finally to it’s current state as The Churchill Tavern (1988).

SOURCE: https://www.churchilltavern.co.uk/pub-tavern

The street it's on:

19-21 Paragon, Ramsgate CT11 9JX

Interesting that a user found it was a hotel around that time. I'm going to have a look at the website and Google search myself. Thanks for your help.

1881 census lists it as a boarding house
B595FEFC-A6D2-4B52-A2E6-11E9B21B64CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 87DF0C90-3709-47E0-BC9A-717F03892569.jpeg
    87DF0C90-3709-47E0-BC9A-717F03892569.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 10
... I have written it down on a couple of spooky forums, so some users may possibly pick up and recall my stories
did you post it on reddits glitch in the matrix thread or elsewhere on reddit, any responses ?

You say that you saw the women before you saw the placemats. However, it could very well be that you did see the placemats first, but simply took no conscious notice of them. Also, how long were these women in view? < 5 seconds? < 30 seconds?

Just came across an interesting case from the Isle of Wight. This is from Gay Baldwin's series Most Haunted Island, No. 6. Usually the author has a separate chapter on time slips, "Adventures in Time," but in this book the relevant cases are spread throughout and just classified as ghosts. However, I think it is a clear time slip:

In 1980 two workmen were repairing the roof of St Barnabas church at Blackwater. One of them, Reg Blake said this:

"We had taken the tin sheets off the roof and were re-filling the cavity with sawdust for insulation, when a little, elderly lady in old-fashioned clothes walked in carrying an ancient aluminium Thermos with cup handles that folded back into the flask. She called out to us, "Hallo! I have brought you some tea. I will leave it on the altar." She gave her address, just down the road, so they could take the flask back when they had finished the tea. However, when they opened the flask the tea was cold and tasted horrible. They poured it away, and when they went to return it found just an empty plot where her house should have been. Next day they asked the Churchwarden who the old lady was, and he explained that she had been his predecessor, who had died three years before.

I have emailed the author in the vain hope that someone retained the flask and maybe even tried to test what contents remained!

Missed that! That makes it eminently more traceable.
That makes two of us -- I thought I had checked out that link but obviously hadn't. I am going to send them an email and ask, as discreetly as I can, about that placemat and whether there is any activity there. Maybe other people have seen the two ladies!

SkepticalX, I've already stated multiple times that I did NOT see the placemats beforehand. I am certain of this and there is no way that it "manipulated my mind". I am a no nonsense person and if I thought somehow my mind was making things up, I wouldn't have even made an account on here to post this.

It should be possible to date the ladies' clothing fairly precisely. There's a world of difference between early Victorian, mid-late Victorian and Edwardian. Can you remember any precise details of anything, ForteanUser98? Gloves or hat design or decoration on dresses?

Re the Blackwater IOW case, Gay Baldwin says that the workmen held on to the thermos until (presumably) they finished the job, in case the old lady returned for it! As she didn't, they threw it away....

probably an old dear from down the lane, besides of which no one even experienced a time slip

i mean its not like there was even an air of anachronisticity, just an old woman in old clothes

i mean its not like there was even an air of anachronisticity, just an old woman in old clothes
In most time slip cases there aren't any uncanny feelings on the part of the witnesses. Obviously if it had just been an old woman offering them something in a thermos there would have been nothing to report. But she gave the address of the deceased churchwarden and from the way the current churchwarden responded (not exactly surprised) I would guess that maybe she had made an appearance prior to this incident.

Been listening to the "Astonishing Legends" podcast today, the "Missing Time" episode. Apologies if someone upthread mentioned it already but just leaving that here for anyone who wants to follow it up. Some interesting points made about theories of time but also re. phenomena being closely related to things like fog. My own time slip experience (possibly on this thread) where two of us saw a cat-that-wasn't-there was during heavy fog. So I found this discussion really, really interesting.

The main part of the podcast is about a time slip which also had two witnesses, and makes for great listening as both the witnesses are interviewed - and they are both well-educated folk leaning towards being sceptics, by nature. During their time slip, they both felt that they could account for every minute of a half hour journey. Although some things during it were unsettling and mildly weird. But it wasn't til they reached destination, they realised they'd both somehow lost a few hours.

Loads of intriguing questions are raised. Including the glimpse of a man in blue overalls just before the 'time jump' - apparently these, like fog, are a common leitmotif in some time slip stories, too...

In most time slip cases there aren't any uncanny feelings on the part of the witnesses. Obviously if it had just been an old woman offering them something in a thermos there would have been nothing to report. But she gave the address of the deceased churchwarden and from the way the current churchwarden responded (not exactly surprised) I would guess that maybe she had made an appearance prior to this incident.
Carl, this is like those 7thC - 19thC fairy encounters where you're warned never to take food or drink from the otherworldly being. And if you do, you later find out it was grass, or water, or something horrible.

Carl, this is like those 7thC - 19thC fairy encounters where you're warned never to take food or drink from the otherworldly being. And if you do, you later find out it was grass, or water, or something horrible.
Possibly -- certainly there is a vague similarity. On the other hand, I can't recall any specific cases where the fairies took the form of deceased humans in order to palm off their eats or drinks. Such a pity the witnesses didn't think to retain the thermos flask though.

I'll admit that would make me a bit suspicious of the story. Can you imagine something so massive happening to you, and not keeping the evidence?

I'll admit that would make me a bit suspicious of the story. Can you imagine something so massive happening to you, and not keeping the evidence?
I wouldn't rate it the most important case ever but some people (and I include myself) are fairly laid back about such things. I would have saved the thermos, though, through interest, but I wouldn't perhaps have regarded it as a massive experience.

I wouldn't rate it the most important case ever but some people (and I include myself) are fairly laid back about such things. I would have saved the thermos, though, through interest, but I wouldn't perhaps have regarded it as a massive experience.
I think if summat like that genuinely happens to you, you spend a lot of time afterwards trying to convince yourself and others - I'm not sure I'm convinced that anyone that happened to, even if they didn't think it was massive, would just chuck the one bit of evidence..?

I think if summat like that genuinely happens to you, you spend a lot of time afterwards trying to convince yourself and others - I'm not sure I'm convinced that anyone that happened to, even if they didn't think it was massive, would just chuck the one bit of evidence..?
What I have found is that virtually all of the time slip witnesses that I have managed to contact have experienced multiple "unusual" events in their lives, most usually more conventional haunting phenomena, but certainly an indication that such people are "sensitive." So they probably wouldn't feel the urgent need to convince themselves or others that what happened to them was real, compared with someone that was not used to having impossible things happening around them. That said, in the same position as these two witnesses I would certainly have hung onto the thermos.

Of course, some people would view the thermos as evidence that something happened, while others would just sneer at it, and at the witnesses!

I think if summat like that genuinely happens to you, you spend a lot of time afterwards trying to convince yourself and others - I'm not sure I'm convinced that anyone that happened to, even if they didn't think it was massive, would just chuck the one bit of evidence..
What I have found is that virtually all of the time slip witnesses that I have managed to contact have experienced multiple "unusual" events in their lives, most usually more conventional haunting phenomena, but certainly an indication that such people are "sensitive." So they probably wouldn't feel the urgent need to convince themselves or others that what happened to them was real, compared with someone that was not used to having impossible things happening around them. That said, in the same position as these two witnesses I would certainly have hung onto the thermos.

Of course, some people would view the thermos as evidence that something happened, while others would just sneer at it, and at the witnesses!

Yes, that may be the case. Husband and I both saw the thing we can only rationalise as time slip and have both had multiple paranormal experiences - so we'd fit into the category of witnesses to this (although all we saw was a stupid cat, not an entire 1950s' shop or something which would be ace...) But for me, the psychology of it is, indeed, that I feel like I want hard proof and if the cat had handed me a Thermos flask, I'd have shown it to everyone I ever met, sent it for forensic analysis and then had it placed in a display case in a museum forever and ever... :Hobbes:

Oddly, I also feel the need to convince myself, let alone others. Even as it was happening, we were going "WTF?" and it felt, on one level, kind of .... exciting. Like, we just both saw that - you saw what I saw. We've both been on this planet for 5 decades and neither of us had ever seen a see-through cat (in husband's case, with different flora behind it). So I know what I saw and I know I really saw it and better still, I know someone else saw it and that is what we saw that night, and I made him recount to me exactly what he thought he'd seen before I said a word about what I'd seen - so all that weight of experience to convince us that no, we weren't dreaming, it's not tiredness, it's not one of us has gone nuts... But yes. I wish the thing had handed me a Thermos! There is always a part of you that still questions it.

Yes, the podcast made that point that people who see this 'bad editing' or 'jump cuts' in time - whatever causes it - often go on to have other experiences or have had previous. I found that really intriguing as well.

I think if summat like that genuinely happens to you, you spend a lot of time afterwards trying to convince yourself and others - I'm not sure I'm convinced that anyone that happened to, even if they didn't think it was massive, would just chuck the one bit of evidence..

Yes, that may be the case. Husband and I both saw the thing we can only rationalise as time slip and have both had multiple paranormal experiences - so we'd fit into the category of witnesses to this (although all we saw was a stupid cat, not an entire 1950s' shop or something which would be ace...) But for me, the psychology of it is, indeed, that I feel like I want hard proof and if the cat had handed me a Thermos flask, I'd have shown it to everyone I ever met, sent it for forensic analysis and then had it placed in a display case in a museum forever and ever... :Hobbes:

Oddly, I also feel the need to convince myself, let alone others. Even as it was happening, we were going "WTF?" and it felt, on one level, kind of .... exciting. Like, we just both saw that - you saw what I saw. We've both been on this planet for 5 decades and neither of us had ever seen a see-through cat (in husband's case, with different flora behind it). So I know what I saw and I know I really saw it and better still, I know someone else saw it and that is what we saw that night, and I made him recount to me exactly what he thought he'd seen before I said a word about what I'd seen - so all that weight of experience to convince us that no, we weren't dreaming, it's not tiredness, it's not one of us has gone nuts... But yes. I wish the thing had handed me a Thermos! There is always a part of you that still questions it.

Yes, the podcast made that point that people who see this 'bad editing' or 'jump cuts' in time - whatever causes it - often go on to have other experiences or have had previous. I found that really intriguing as well.
I can appreciate what you mean, although (maybe because I'm quite introverted?) I've never felt any need to convince others of what I've experienced, and I'm quite certain of them myself. Mostly I just talk about these things to people whom I know to have an interest in such matters anyway. In one incident last year (when a postman delivered a parcel without leaving any footprints in the snow) I did take some photos for the record, knowing quite well that they would be of no value in convincing anyone else of it.
Yes, regarding time slips, evidence would include any objects obtained during the experience, although of course these would prove nothing to anyone regarding whether the tale is true. Independent witnesses to slips are rare, but obviously very significant.
It is fascinating that something we might be tempted to regard as purely perceptual, in the case of individual sensitivity, can include physical interactions with different time periods. It all shows how little we know, I suppose.

is some of the above lost time rather than time slips ?
I think missing (or gained) time is a separate (though somewhat related) phenomenon to time slips. The trouble is that it is extremely common, and whereas a substantial variation in time passed might indeed be significant, there are a lot of tales of people who "normally take 10 minutes and today took 20 minutes to complete the journey" which obviously dilutes the power of the sample, if you are going to include all cases. So I just restrict my interest to definite time slips, i.e. where witnesses report visions of, leading to interactions with, different time periods.

Back