• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Titanic Conspiracy

So if there was no conspiracy there are still some unanswered questions...

When I watched that conspiracy program on sky one on a sunday night about 6 weeks ago it mentioned the steam ship that followed the titanic carrying lifejackets and an otherwise meaningless cargo at a time that more important cargos were not moving because of a coal strike.

What is known for certain about this boat?

That ship was the Californian, famous for standing by, watching the Titanic firing her distress rockets and doing nothing about it other than trying to get in contact with a morse lamp (the single wireless operator was asleep, as was the Captain).

The Californian was bound from London, I think, to Boston, and I believe she was carrying a cargo of cotton bales. The ship was a tramp steamer, but could accomodate a few passengers if necessary, though none were on board when she became infamous as "The Ship That Stood Still".

They had sent a warning signal out I believe, and had been told by one of Titanic's Marconi operators to shut up as he was 'working the Cape' (i.e sending messages for privately paying passengers). They settled in, the wireless operator switched off about 11pm, they wondered what the flares were all about, but didn't think to check the wireless (as far as I remember), the captain was pilloried for failing to respond to a distress, and his (rather weak, in my opinion) defence was that there was ice between him and Titanic. Oh, and the flares were on the horizon and he didn't know if they'd come from the same boat or not, or how far away it was.

Doesn't sound terribly convincing, to be honest.

Carpathia's captain, on the other hand, got speeds out of his ship that it wasn't thought capable of, and went pelting to the rescue, despite knowing there was ice around that had sunk Titanic. There's a brave man. And I'll never forgive Cameron for not putting more of that into the film (or for putting Rose and Bloody Jack in the story - like, who cares?)

Apologies for bringing this one up again, but a couple of new things came up.

Firstly, the conspiracy program was on sky one again recently and I taped it and watched it about 5 times. They showed photographs of the olympic when she was brand new and then about a week before the titanic disaster. Interestingly the pattern of portholes along the side of the ship had been changed to look the same as the titanic, no one could come up with a rational explanation for this.

The olympic was also due for a repair to a propellor blade which took a whole week rather than the two days, enough time to switch many things with the 400/401 numbers.

Secondly, I saw another program the weekend (can't rememnber which) but it stated that the olympic was still sailing until the mid 1930's, a difficult feat if she had broke her back like the conspiracy program had claimed.

I still don't think there is enough convincing evidence for the conspiracy but to me it hasn't been disproved.

I was recently sent a report about some "aspects" of this matter. I thought others would like to see it. I had no input or say into the contents.

Comments very welcome.

The pages are on my website
http://www.btinternet.com/~dr_paul_lee/1.jpeg

for following pages, replace the 1 by the page number, up to 53.jpeg (not its .jpeg NOT .jpg)

Incidentally, the author of this report is a friend and co-author of Robin Gardiner, the "Titanic Olympic Switch" originator. Coincidence maybe?

Well, if it's not fiction or an attempt by parties unknown to discredit various people, it reads like paranoid fantasy.

Blimey! I've just read this thread from start to finish, after a brief exchange with DPL, and now my head's spinning!

I'd better not say what I think about the subject, though. Someone's agent might not be happy...

Suffice it to say that the topic's fascinating, and I'll do my best to get hold of a book from each side of the argument, and make an informed opinion of my own. I hope that's not too controversial.

Nah. While you're at it, look for the non-existant "cursed mummy" from the British museum, lost amounts of "radioactive materials" ... oh, and various bods on board who were the real targets of the "Death By Iceberg" assassination technique. Which is extreme but hardly subtle.

Many apologies if this is in the wrong section, but has anyone heard of the story that aboard the Titanic was a mummy of an Egyptian princess. Apparently it was taken from Egypt by the British at some point and after a series of deaths surrounding the body (such as the two men carrying the coffin to a museum and a photographer who shot himself days after capturing the mummy for the press), the museum that held it (possibly the British Museum) wanted nothing more to do with it. So it was to be shipped to a collector in New York aboard a new ship, one that was unsinkable....

EssexSpook said:
Many apologies if this is in the wrong section, but has anyone heard of the story that aboard the Titanic was a mummy of an Egyptian princess. Apparently it was taken from Egypt by the British at some point and after a series of deaths surrounding the body (such as the two men carrying the coffin to a museum and a photographer who shot himself days after capturing the mummy for the press), the museum that held it (possibly the British Museum) wanted nothing more to do with it. So it was to be shipped to a collector in New York aboard a new ship, one that was unsinkable....

It's a fairly venerable urban legend that surfaces from time to time despite the coffin still existing in the British Museum. Snopes give one version of the story and the background to it Mummy on the Titanic

Hoh?

Stormkhan said:
"The 'Mummys Curse' theory was reasonably de-bunked in many forums - including an issue of the FT if I recall correctly. So to was the 'Titanic was carrying Uranium weapons' theory ... which was better as a lousy screenplay."

Any more details on the "uranium weapons" aboard the TITANIC theory? I confess this one is totally new to me.

On the surface, this seems about as likely as the Lone Ranger mining uranium for the US government in the 1870s - which was a program run on the American radio series in 1947.

Mummy Aboard the TITANIC

The "Mummy aboard the TITANIC" tale has always been one of my favorite yarns and I've done a considerable amount of research into it.

The mummy in question is supposed to have been a "Princess of Amen-Ra." But Egypt never had any such title. In fact, this is as silly as saying that a British princess would be given an official title of "Princess of Christ."

The mummy is supposed to have been purchased in Egypt by a British traveller named Douglas Murray. There is some truth here, but what Murray purchased (or won in a raffle by another account) was a mummy board, or lid, or cover. Both the mummy and the rest of the coffin had been destroyed by native tomb robbers in a frantic and unsuccessful search for jewellery.

That mummy cover was eventually given by Murray (through his agent) to the British Museum....WHERE IT STILL RESIDES.

But that is the same "mummy" which was supposedly shipped aboard the TITANIC! According to the story it had been sold by a curator of the British Museum to the New York Museum of Natural History.

But as Sir E. A. Wallis Budge pointed out after the legend got circulating, any Museum keeper who sold any Museum artifact without a specific Act of Parliament in hand would have gone to the slammer for a VERY long time. This would be true even if the money received had gone directly into Museum coffers with no hint of embezzlement involved.

I don't remember Storyman, but my curiosity is rather suicidal so I clicked anyway. And the link doesn't seem to do anything. :(

Try this, from earlier in the thread (I'm guessing this the right page, updated as it mentions a recent event.)

Stead

One of the things which gave impetus to the "cursed mummy aboard the Titanic" legend was the apparent fact that survivors in the lifeboats BELIEVED there'd been such an artifact aboard the vessel.

What seems to have happened is that the great British journalist W. T. Stead, who did NOT survive, had spent the voyage spinning a made-up yarn concerning a cursed mummy on board. This fictional account, intended purely for dining salon and promenade deck entertainment, quickly spread throughout the ship, probably even down into Third Class and Steerage.

See what happens when you FIB, children?

I thought these lists were already online (think I've referred to them on here before), but this is news now:
Titanic passenger lists go online

The original passenger lists from the Titanic are being made available online for the first time, 95 years after the ocean liner sank on its maiden voyage.
The lists could previously be seen only at the National Archives in Kew, south-west London.

They will be free to view on the findmypast.com website for a week - after which a fee will be charged.

The anniversary of the disaster, which claimed 1,523 lives, will be marked on Sunday with a service in Southampton.

The ship set sail from the Hampshire city on 10 April 1912, and 549 of the victims hailed from there.

The outdoor public service will be held at the Titanic Engineer's Memorial in Above Bar Street in the city centre at 1100 BST.

Larger project

Searching through the lists of passengers who sailed on the Titanic has been awkward in the past, as they have been kept in 34 separate boxes at the Kew museum.

It is hoped that the move to put them online will help people who are trying to trace relatives who moved abroad.

The Titanic lists are part of a larger project - with 1.5m ship passenger lists dating back to 1890 being put online.

Elaine Collins, from the Findmypast website, said the lists provided a fascinating insight.

"What you're going to find is the details about the voyage - the individuals, what class they were travelling, where they were planning to land, their country of intended future permanent residence," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6554755.stm
(Bet the site crashes as everyone tries to copy it while it's free! 8) )

Any more details on the "uranium weapons" aboard the TITANIC theory? I confess this one is totally new to me.

On the surface, this seems about as likely as the Lone Ranger mining uranium for the US government in the 1870s - which was a program run on the American radio series in 1947.

OldTimeRadio, this was the premise for Clive Cussler book and the 1981 film RAISE THE TITANIC. Great book, ham-fisted film adaptation, impossible premise now that the wreck has been discovered.

Does anyone else feel nostalgic for the time when a small cadre of Titanic nerds sat around wondering if the ship was as intact as RAISE THE TITANIC suggested? There were all of these theories about how well-preserved the wreck would be. Even the furniture was supposed to be intact.

I just love the name Cosmo Duff Gordon.

There was a Scrooge McDuck story by Don Rosa where a witch doctor makes a zombie and sends it after him. He escapes at one point when the zombie falls into freezing water. Btu the zombie still manages to follow him, even though it is entombed in an iceberg. And it finally gets to him when Scrooge is aboard the Titanic.

What about the theory about the discovery of the wreck prior to 1985? That's an interesting story that Paul has done a lot of research on.

Thanks! At last weekend's 95th Anniversary Commemoration in Southampton, some new information came to light on this issue, which I'm trying to verify. Watch this space!

Letter clears 'blackguard of the Titanic'
By Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:17am BST 02/05/2007

He was one of the great blackguards of pre-First World War British society: Sir Cosmo Duff Gordon, the man who not only was said to have bought his way off the sinking Titanic, but then stopped his half-empty lifeboat from returning to pick up drowning passengers.

However, the history books might have to be rewritten. A letter discovered in a London attic appears to exonerate the Old Etonian baronet and fencing champion of either cowardice or callousness.

Travelling with Sir Cosmo and his wife, Lucy was Mabel Francatelli, Lady Duff Gordon's secretary. In a long letter written by Miss Francatelli from New York a few days after the sinking, she gives a vivid account of their escape and rescue. She also says that Sir Cosmo behaved with complete generosity and integrity.

Sir Cosmo, his wife and the secretary abandoned the Titanic with two other American passengers and seven stokers in an emergency lifeboat designed for 40 people.

In the weeks after the sinking, in April 1912 it emerged that Sir Cosmo had paid each of the stokers £5. According to stories in the British press it was a reward for letting his small party on to their boat and not turning back to pluck survivors from the Atlantic for fear they would become overloaded and sink.

As the "unsinkable" White Star liner sank, Lady Duff Gordon, a fashionable London dress designer, is supposed to have said to Mis Francatelli: "There is your beautiful nightdress gone."

It was a hidesously insensitive remark that was to haunt the Duff Gordons in books and accounts of the Titanic for the rest of their days.

The Board of Trade inquiry into the loss of the Titanic cleared Sir Cosmo of wrongdoing and particularly of ignoring the maritime law of "women and children first". But the dirt stuck, the name of Duff Gordon was blackened in smart societyand the Scottish landowner lived like a recluce until his death in 1931.

The Duff Gordons even appeared in Titanic, the 1997 James Cameron film, played by Martin Jarvis and Rosalind Ayres.

In Miss Francatelli's letter, the secretary, a Londoner, gives a detailed account of the hours spent in the lifeboat but makes no mention of her employer's "nightdress" remark. She gives an innocent explanation for how Sir Cosmo got his place on the lifeboat - namely, that there was nobody else at hand, no women and no children, as it was lowered by the crew.

She writes: "We walked to the end of the boat and they were letting down the last lifeboat on our side and calling for anymore (sic) women, and pulled at us, but we clung on to Sir Cosmo and said we would not go without him, so they lowered the boat. Presently there was a little boat at the end, what they called the emergency boat, the officers standing there told some stokers to man the boat and no other women were there, so Sir Cosmo asked if we [the two women] could get in, and we said we would if he could come. The dear officers let us, and we dropped into this boat, then they let it down to the water."

Later she writes: "We went down into the blackness of the water... There wasn't a light or a lamp in the boat. There were 12 of us, we and 2 Americans and seven stokers. We rowed away from the ship, which was sinking fast, so to get away from swell or sucksion (sic). Then all the rest is too terrible for me to write. The screams of the hundreds of dear women, children and the bravest of men fighting in the icy cold waves, I still hear.

"We prayed all night, and at daybreak we saw a boat in sight, about 5 miles away. They rowed like mad, and we [were] picked up at 6 o clock in the morning. Our little cockle shell boat coming up to the darling Carpathia (the liner, four miles off the Titanic) the water was rushing and we had to sit on a rope swing and they hauled me up... I just closed my eyes and clung tight.

"I watched the whole of it from our little boat and saw all the lights go out, and the very last of her, then the terrible explosion of rumbling, followed by the cries and screams of the hundreds in the water..."

Miss Francatelli's letter has come to light after her nephew took it to Christie's along with his aunt's life jacket. The jacket, signed by most of those in the lifeboat, is to be sold by the auction house on May 16 with an estimate of £50,000 to £80,000. The nephew has decided to keep his aunt's letter but a facsimile will be sold with the jacket.
http://tinyurl.com/26xfto

You've got to love the name Cosmo Duff.. :D

I don't see how this is "news". The Titanic community has known of this letter since at least 1986! As for Duff-Gordon, what happened in lifeboat 1 was no secret...read the Inquiry transcripts http://www.titanicinquiry.org

Must be a slow news day...

Back