• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Top Hat Man

Seasidepagan

Junior Acolyte
I’m new here (posted the haunted pub last afternoon). I have a lot of stories from when I was growing up and as an adult so when I get time I’ll post them all one by one. Many times I think that no one will believe the things that happened but then I think, I know it’s true so that’s all that matters.

This story concerns my brother, two years my junior, who has sadly passed on now. We lived in a semi detached 1970s house on an estate at the time where lots of odd things were identified by both him and my mum, I was only witness to one of them. But the stories were told and retold all our lives.

My brother was 5 and I was 7 when my dad died overseas. He hadn’t been present in our lives and although a shock ( the funeral etc) I can’t say it traumatised us, my parents had divorced the year before, although it must have had an impact. In the year before the events I’m going to describe, my brother had been telling my mum he had seen a pair of see through legs with boots running up the stairs. I remember once my brother screaming hysterically that he wasn’t going upstairs because the legs had run up just before him. In addition to this I once saw my mum drying up the dishes and literally watched the glass she had dried fly across the room and smash. In our house these types of things happened and we just accepted it ( in the 1970s as a single mum what else could my mum do?). For example when my dad died I would feel him tickling my toes when I was in bed at night ( it happened again recently), which was something he would do when I was a little tiny girl.

Anyway I digress, things took a sinister turn when, in the mornings, my mum started to find my brother asleep at the bottom of the stairs wrapped tightly in his blanket. When she asked him what he was doing there he would say the top hat man had come and got him and moved him there in the night. My mum dismissed this thinking that my brother was ‘disturbed ‘ by my fathers death. This started happening on about a weekly basis with my older cousin stying with us finding him, a neighbour my mum had got in to verify she was t going mad, and me on another occasion. My mum took my brother to the gp who recommended a child psychologist and in due time my brother saw the psychologist who said it was indeed the trauma of bereavement. The nightly visits continued however. Mum would sleep with her door open onto the small landing and would be vigilant but she obviously slept and then the top hat man would visit. Eventually we moved and the visits stopped ( although other things happened which I’ll save for another day) .

Fast forward to when my brother was in his mid 20’s and his first child had just been born. I was staying with them and had offered to look after said baby for the night feeds. As we were bedding down I said to my brother ‘ here, what was all that about the top hat man when you were a kid?’ And he said to me, as if it was completely normal, that a man in a long black cloak, and a black top hat , with large protruding eyes and a full mouth, would make his presence felt and stand in his bedroom door way and beckon my brother with a crooked finger to come with him. He had a smile on his lips that didn’t reach his eyes. I said to my brother ‘ didn’t it scare you?’ He said ‘of course it Bloodey did , I told mum about it everytime it happened but nothing was done’. The top hat man would have to duck under the door way as his hat was so tall, would pick up my brothers blanket and carry it down the stairs, all the while twisting slightly and beckoning my brother, then tucking him him tightly at the bottom of the stairs before letting himself out of the front door. This went on for over a year. Thoroughly freaked out I said to my brother ‘ why didn’t you refuse to go to bed?’ And he said he did use to kick up at bed time but mum assumed it was his age and reassure him. I asked ‘why didn’t you refuse to go downstairs?’ And he said ‘ I didn’t dare to’ He remembered going to the psychologist and thinking that thank god it might stop. It didn’t of course.

Anyway, fast forward again 20 years, my brother ( who continued to experience phenomena his whole life) has died ( we are all devastated), and I’m sat in the garden one day thinking about all this and instead of just replaying it in my mind as one does when it is something that has happened in your family, I am actually analysing it and questioning it. I’m thinking, maybe it was the bereavement, my mums anguish transferring to him, why didn’t it happen to me etc. So I google ‘top hat man’ and to my utter terror and horror up pop accounts of people that have experienced the top hat man as well.

Without him here to ask all I am left with is the very uncomfortable feeling that the top hat man did visit my brother many many times, that my brother was telling the truth, and that nothing was done to try to stop it.

In these times of child protection, my mind of course wanders to ask was it abuse? But there was just me, mum and my brother there and we were a close little trio after our loss. Has anyone else experienced the top hat man?

I’m new here (posted the haunted pub last afternoon). I have a lot of stories from when I was growing up and as an adult so when I get time I’ll post them all one by one. Many times I think that no one will believe the things that happened but then I think, I know it’s true so that’s all that matters.

This story concerns my brother, two years my junior, who has sadly passed on now. We lived in a semi detached 1970s house on an estate at the time where lots of odd things were identified by both him and my mum, I was only witness to one of them. But the stories were told and retold all our lives.

My brother was 5 and I was 7 when my dad died overseas. He hadn’t been present in our lives and although a shock ( the funeral etc) I can’t say it traumatised us, my parents had divorced the year before, although it must have had an impact. In the year before the events I’m going to describe, my brother had been telling my mum he had seen a pair of see through legs with boots running up the stairs. I remember once my brother screaming hysterically that he wasn’t going upstairs because the legs had run up just before him. In addition to this I once saw my mum drying up the dishes and literally watched the glass she had dried fly across the room and smash. In our house these types of things happened and we just accepted it ( in the 1970s as a single mum what else could my mum do?). For example when my dad died I would feel him tickling my toes when I was in bed at night ( it happened again recently), which was something he would do when I was a little tiny girl.

Anyway I digress, things took a sinister turn when, in the mornings, my mum started to find my brother asleep at the bottom of the stairs wrapped tightly in his blanket. When she asked him what he was doing there he would say the top hat man had come and got him and moved him there in the night. My mum dismissed this thinking that my brother was ‘disturbed ‘ by my fathers death. This started happening on about a weekly basis with my older cousin stying with us finding him, a neighbour my mum had got in to verify she was t going mad, and me on another occasion. My mum took my brother to the gp who recommended a child psychologist and in due time my brother saw the psychologist who said it was indeed the trauma of bereavement. The nightly visits continued however. Mum would sleep with her door open onto the small landing and would be vigilant but she obviously slept and then the top hat man would visit. Eventually we moved and the visits stopped ( although other things happened which I’ll save for another day) .

Fast forward to when my brother was in his mid 20’s and his first child had just been born. I was staying with them and had offered to look after said baby for the night feeds. As we were bedding down I said to my brother ‘ here, what was all that about the top hat man when you were a kid?’ And he said to me, as if it was completely normal, that a man in a long black cloak, and a black top hat , with large protruding eyes and a full mouth, would make his presence felt and stand in his bedroom door way and beckon my brother with a crooked finger to come with him. He had a smile on his lips that didn’t reach his eyes. I said to my brother ‘ didn’t it scare you?’ He said ‘of course it Bloodey did , I told mum about it everytime it happened but nothing was done’. The top hat man would have to duck under the door way as his hat was so tall, would pick up my brothers blanket and carry it down the stairs, all the while twisting slightly and beckoning my brother, then tucking him him tightly at the bottom of the stairs before letting himself out of the front door. This went on for over a year. Thoroughly freaked out I said to my brother ‘ why didn’t you refuse to go to bed?’ And he said he did use to kick up at bed time but mum assumed it was his age and reassure him. I asked ‘why didn’t you refuse to go downstairs?’ And he said ‘ I didn’t dare to’ He remembered going to the psychologist and thinking that thank god it might stop. It didn’t of course.

Anyway, fast forward again 20 years, my brother ( who continued to experience phenomena his whole life) has died ( we are all devastated), and I’m sat in the garden one day thinking about all this and instead of just replaying it in my mind as one does when it is something that has happened in your family, I am actually analysing it and questioning it. I’m thinking, maybe it was the bereavement, my mums anguish transferring to him, why didn’t it happen to me etc. So I google ‘top hat man’ and to my utter terror and horror up pop accounts of people that have experienced the top hat man as well.

Without him here to ask all I am left with is the very uncomfortable feeling that the top hat man did visit my brother many many times, that my brother was telling the truth, and that nothing was done to try to stop it.

In these times of child protection, my mind of course wanders to ask was it abuse? But there was just me, mum and my brother there and we were a close little trio after our loss. Has anyone else experienced the top hat man?

My condolences for the loss of your brother.

I have not (thank goodness, touch wood, and all that) experienced personally anything like the Hat Man but I have read plenty of accounts, and yes it is a reported phenomena.

I don't know that it would be abuse... it is perfectly understandable that your mother would attribute your brother's fears to normal child behaviour / exacerbated by the loss of your father. If it's any comfort I don't think there is anything you or your mother did wrong at the time.

My brother always said he was afraid and that the man was not friendly so I guess yes a false smile. Thankyou for the welcome. It’s nerve wracking writing about stuff that some people would just scoff at .

On here we don't scoff at things, certainly not things like that. :) I think from your posts so far it is safe to say that you have a lot of interesting (although sad, as in this case) stories to share which fit right in here, they aren't 'out there' in an unbelievable sense, so do not be concerned about posting any more you may have, when the time is right.

:)

Some children can have very vivid imaginary friends, to the point that the "friends" seem to have a life of their own. I suppose if friends exist, then enemies, or at least sinister figures, can exist too.

Incidentally, your description of the Top Hat Man does sound like the Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town from the comedy serial off The Two Ronnies, broadcast in the 70s but repeated in the 80s too. He's kind of notorious for scaring kids even though he was supposed to be funny. Could he have inspired the look of the brother's "imaginary" enemy?

We must have an imaginary friends thread around here, if anyone can find it... might make you think, @Seasidepagan ?

A quick search found this thread:

Kids' Creepy Imaginary Friends That Are Probably Demons
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...inary-friends-that-are-probably-demons.58945/

Not very reassuring, though! Do we have another imaginary friend thread that's more cheerful?!

Here are 3 more ...

Imaginary Childhood Friends
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/imaginary-childhood-friends.5262/

Heathrow is first 'Imaginary Friend' friendly airport
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...irst-imaginary-friend-friendly-airport.59844/

Exhibition of imaginary friends
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/exhibition-of-imaginary-friends.60833/

Incidentally, your description of the Top Hat Man does sound like the Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town from the comedy serial off The Two Ronnies, broadcast in the 70s but repeated in the 80s too. He's kind of notorious for scaring kids even though he was supposed to be funny. Could he have inspired the look of the brother's "imaginary" enemy?
The child-catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang springs to mind also.

The child-catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang springs to mind also.

Yup, he didn't have a cape, but the top hat was there. Also an old time silent movie or even stage barnstormer villain would have a topper and cape, plus moustache to twirl.

Thanks for your account Seasidepagan.

My thoughts, for what they're worth.

Although the man looked scary, he didn't say or do anything unkind. You brother was left wrapped in a blanket (a safe and secure thing to do to a child) yet left at the bottom of the stairs by the front door (an inbetween, exit/entrance, passing through space.)

I lean towards the psychologists explanation that it was your brothers way of dealing with the loss of you father.

Last edited:
Yup, he didn't have a cape, but the top hat was there. Also an old time silent movie or even stage barnstormer villain would have a topper and cape, plus moustache to twirl.
You're right - no cape, I could have sworn he did. He scared the hell out me when I watched the film.

Top hats were a standard component of the clothing worn by funeral mutes (professional mourners and funeral assistants) from the Regency period onward. Funeral mutes were darkly clothed and non-speaking figures.

https://regencyredingote.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/the-regency-way-of-death-funeral-mutes/
https://www.austins.co.uk/blog/index.php/the-history-of-the-victorian-mute/

It's easy to see how a child would associate such a figure (e.g., seen in a movie or on TV, if not at an actual funeral) with being taken away by or in relation to death.

Another great post Seasidepagan although I'm sad to hear about your brother's passing. Were the other things that happened to him in later life things that comforted or scared him? I'm glad you've decided to start sharing your experiences here. :)

Sollywos x

A shady, top-hatted figure has been a classic creepy meme for a very long time.
Add to a glimpsed image on TV, newspaper advert, book etc. the stress of bereavement and a child's unfettered imagination and the possibilities are endless.
Was there perhaps a bottle of Sandeman Port in the house (when I first joined this forum, I used the Sandeman logo as my avatar)?

IMG_0963.JPG

Or could you have seen a feature about Jack the Ripper/Child Catcher/Phantom Raspberry Blower etc. on TV that buried deeply into your psyche?

An example of more recent use of the meme would be the Circus of Horror's ringmaster. With this troupe of Grand Guignol performers, you get a host of other horror memes, like vampires, demonic dwarfs, horrific clowns and zombies thrown in too!

IMG_0964.JPG

This thread has raised some questions for me. I have never experienced this however my nephew has complained (since the age of about 2) about a very tall man, in a long dark coat and a top hat who comes out of his walk-in closet during the night. The man pulls back his covers and blows rasperries on his stomach. It makes my nephew laugh but he is also terrified.

Some children can have very vivid imaginary friends, to the point that the "friends" seem to have a life of their own. I suppose if friends exist, then enemies, or at least sinister figures, can exist too.

I had heard of this character but forgotten all about it. You mentioning it now kind of connected some dots for me. I can't say for certain that my nephew doesn't know of this TV character but is seems highly unlikely that at 2 years old he would watch and understand an Old Two Ronnies sketch. But the similarities made me sit up.

His mother said she sometimes heard him half crying/half laughing and "talking" to the man, asking him to stop. When she went in, he would be lying in bed with his pyjamas top pulled up exposing his midriff and giggling and laughing as if being tickled.

He started refusing to go to bed and would ask to sleep in his parents bed instead. This went on for about 5 years but has since stopped. My nephew says he sees him now and then but has learned that he's not real and can send him away.

EDIT: I forgot to add my sister even bought a crucifix to hang above his bed because she though he was beig attacked by something. She isn't religious and they don't have religion in the house but my mother is Catholic and she had suggested it.

This gives me chills! With the man picking up the blanket and letting himself out of the front door, could it actually have been a real person? Terrifying & hope things got easier for your brother, sorry for your loss

This is not an uncommon experience for some people. Some, as your brother did, report the figure wearing a top hat, other more like a Fedora. The figure is almost always sinister, though no one really knows why they visit or what their purpose is. Their general 'modus operandi' is to simply appear and to scare the wits out of the intended victim.
From years of reading about such things, they appear to be more connected to a person, rather than to a place or time, though this is not always the case. There have been noted hauntings of hatman type beings. Some claim them to be a more advanced form of a shadow being.
I've seen lots of odd things in my time, though I've never come into contact with such things. Those I've talked to who have, always mention the lasting impression they are left with.
Thank you for sharing your family story and my thoughts are with you on your brother's passing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story Seasidepagan. I assure you this phenomenon is quite common (I've heard dozens or even hundreds of stories), however I can't provide an explanation including "how" or "why" people see them because there's a high degree of randomness between cases while the central figure/entity is always described the same way. Perhaps just one of many faces of the cosmic tricksters responsible for so many other high strangeness events.

I once met a man who claimed a "gremlin" did this exact thing to him as a child, until the point where his parents dead-bolted the door from the outside yet he was still found downstairs the following morning. It's been so many years that his description of the gremlin escapes me. I'll also mention that I pressed him many different ways over many different days and he would not budge on the story.

Well, this has terrified me. Want to know why? Gather round.

You see, we have a family legend. My grandfather died when he was only around 35 - Gran had to bring up my mum and my uncle. When they were still young, she was offered a brand new council estate house in a quiet part of Sheffield.

Cutting to the chase, mum still tells the story about the time she went upstairs one evening and met the proverbial man-upon-the-stair. Shall I quote her?

"He looked like the man on the Sandeman's bottle"

He vanished away, of course. My family are all tough as old boots, especially when it comes to spooks, so she just shrugged it off. Gran was always of the opinion that it was her husband popping back, but Mum is adamant it was nothing like him.

You see my spooked feelings here, right? The bereavement? The description? The stairs? The same family set-up? It's odd, isn't it?

Back