• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trundle Hill, Sussex: Black Ball Report (1940)

A

Anonymous

I am trying to find an original source for a report by several soldiers of a mysterious black ball about one metre across that rolled uphill. Place: Trundle Hill, Sussex. Date: 1940. The only source I have is an account in a British childrens' annual, Action, for 1983. Similar ghost stories, etc. in these types of annuals are based on known cases, so it is unlikely to be completely made up. Any help with finding a source would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter Hassall

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a place nicknamed electric hill, it was apparently an optical illusion caused by a distortion of perspective whereby up and down were reversed, could this be what your thinking about.:confused:

re: Trundle Hill

No, it wasn't one of those. This was an odd type of UFO sighting. I think you mean magnetic hills where cars appear to roll uphill without the engine on. This is an optical illusion caused by background features, in a similar way to the Oregon Vortex, Mystery Spot, etc. which have houses with warped angles to create similar optical illusions. Thanks anyway.

The name "trundle" Hill could be signifcant, too. A folk name for "movement" hill? Those wheels with a ruler on surveyors use are called "trundle wheels" I believe.

I'm not sure of the point I'm trying to make here!

I've been on such a hill (although it was called an "Electric brae" since it was in Scotland), it had a little information sign and everything. It was quite odd, because you could see the sea, which I expected to nullify the effect, but it didn't ;)

Re: me again

CammoGuy said:
I've asked a few people and they have told me that criminals were hanged at the top of trundle hill. I'm not sure if this is related though.
I notice that you live in New Zealand and wonderd why this was of interest to you. If you want me to find anything out for you just ask (search the library newspaper archive etc.)
ROWLF..Take note what a helpful lot we are on these boards.:)

This is my first post, so forgive me if I blather!

St Roche's Hill - better known locally as The Trundle - north of Chichester, West Sussex, where the former chapel of St Roche was situated on top of the hill.

The French saint (patron saint of healing), born in 1295 in Montpelier, gained a legendary reputation as a protector from the plague in northern Italy. He was himself stricken with the disease at Piacenza and recovered in a cave with the aid of a dog that brought him bread. He returned home, but was unrecognised and imprisoned as an impostor, dying shortly afterwards. One of the most popular saints in France, Spain and Italy.

A small chapel dedicated to St Roche existed on the site of the former iron-age fort above Chichester until the mid 18th century. Pilgrims making their way to the shrine of St Richard in Chichester Cathedral would pass by this chapel.

The Trundle was the name originally given to the embankments of a stone age fortress or hill fort around the crown of the hill, though its name, meaning a circle, is actually a misnomer as the fort is built of several straight sections.

Dating from about 2000 BC, the fortress enclosed a tribal city that was a forerunner of Chichester. There are spectacular panoramic views from here and on a clear day, not only of Chichester and the surrounding area, but even to the Isle of Wight.

Similar stone age and iron age hill forts exist close to St Roche's hill, including Whitehawk down, near Brighton, and Cissbury ring, near Worthing.

Like many other hill forts in Sussex, Trundle Hill has a piece of folklore connected to it relating to buried treasure. The item in question in this case is a Golden Calf, which can also be found at Highdown Hill to the east.

There have been a number of reports of UFO activity around this area. One recent sighting including a low level UFO described as a large fluorescent green upright cylinder with 3 spindly legs travelling north at speed of 20 - 40 mph at height of approx 100 ft steadily and noiselessly.

The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum, England's leading museum of historic buildings is situated at the foot of the hill. Some of these buildings are reputed to be haunted.

I can't find any mention of any mysterious UBB's, but you can find lots of weird stuff relating to Trundle Hill and other mysterious places around Sussex on this URL:

http: //www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/

Link is dead. See post below for current access to the linked content.

Oh, I would be extremely interested to hear if anyone has experienced any strange occurrences along the South Downs Way, or for that matter anywhere in the Sussex area. I've turned a bit fanatical after something scary happened to me near Chanctonbury Ring!!! I'll try and explain in a later post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went along the South downs west to east by bike and we counted how many uphills there were and how many downhills and it turned out there were significantly more uphills. At a later point I met someone who had done the same in the opposite direction and they had counted more uphills as well. Freaky indeed.

curzone said:
There have been a number of reports of UFO activity around this area. One recent sighting including a low level UFO described as a large fluorescent green upright cylinder with 3 spindly legs travelling north at speed of 20 - 40 mph at height of approx 100 ft steadily and noiselessly.

[...]

I've turned a bit fanatical after something scary happened to me near Chanctonbury Ring!!! I'll try and explain in a later post.

Interesting. Have never spotted this before. The desciption of that UFO is a strange mixture of very specific and yet vague: they note speed and height, shape and appendages but no details of material or texture. Sounds quite steampunk sounding to me...

As to your Chanctonbury account i'm not sure that made it to the later threads on the topic and i've not seen you around of late so i guess that'll remain annoyingly shrouded in mystery.

edit: I stand corrected:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... ght=#52768
was confusing usernames.

This reminded me of a story that a friend (not a 'friend of a friend') told me .

He was driving his car somewhere on the A12 in Essex/Suffolk. He got the classic 'panic' feeling, and felt there was something behind him. He glanced over his shoulder looking for maybe a car behind and became aware of a dark area on the back seat. He turned on the internal light and, as he described it, there was a cubic shape which wasn't just black, but was like an absence of light. (even black things reflect passing cars etc.).

He said he then lost memory, can't remember anything between there and the A130 turn off back to Southend where we lived at the time. (at least 20 miles away from where he first became scared, which was north of Colchester - he wasn't sure how far north). When he turned off the A12 and summoned up the courage to look again, the shape had gone.

Back