• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV Updates

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
I've recently had a few days off work and amused myself by watching some 'Ghostly' programmes on Netflix and Prime.

I started watching a moderately fascinating series called Ghost Hunters, written and narrated by the inestimable William Woolard. It was two series, made in 1994 and some of the cases on there were interesting and I'd not seen them elsewhere. Does anyone know if a follow up was ever done on these?

I've recently had a few days off work and amused myself by watching some 'Ghostly' programmes on Netflix and Prime.

I started watching a moderately fascinating series called Ghost Hunters, written and narrated by the inestimable William Woolard. It was two series, made in 1994 and some of the cases on there were interesting and I'd not seen them elsewhere. Does anyone know if a follow up was ever done on these?
There are four series in total with the latter two having eight episodes apiece as opposed to the six each of series one and two.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosthunters_(TV_series)
EpisodeTitleDetailFirst
Broadcast
1.1 (1)Legends of the Roman LegionnairesDr. Patrick Ottaway and Jim Lyons investigate Roman ghost sightings at the Treasurer's House York and Mersea Island, Essex.14 April 1996
1.2 (2)The Mysteries of the GeorgeExamines a haunted pub in Preston, England with paranormal investigator Melanie Warren.21 April 1996
1.3 (3)The Phantoms of Chingle HallJason Karl examines the thirteenth-century house in Lancashirewhich is one of Britain's most famous allegedly haunted houses.21 April 1996
1.4 (4)The Man Who Talk to GhostsAn examination of mediumship, concentrating on Eddie Burks and John Parker.28 April 1996
1.5 (5)The Invisible IntelligenceProfessor David Fontana examines the Cardiff case of Pete the Poltergeist which was active in the autumn of 1992.5 May 1996
1.6 (6)Holy GhostbustersThe Rev. Tom Willis discusses exorcism and the Deliverance Ministry and the Church's work in confronting alleged supernatural happenings.12 May 1996
Series 2 (1996)Edit
All episodes were first broadcast on Sundays.

EpisodeTitleDetailFirst
Broadcast
2.1 (7)Ripples in TimeParapsychologist Mary Rose Barrington of the Society for Psychical Research discusses the Wootton timeslip, and CJ Romer outlines the experience at Thetford Priory, Norfolk which provoked his interest in investigating hauntings.26 May 1996
2.2 (8)The Phantom PilotParapsychologist, Professor Archie Roy investigates modern tales of post mortem apparitions and crisis apparitions.2 June 1996
2.3 (9)The Haunted BallroomJohn Mitchell presents a story of a haunted ballroom in York and Melanie Warren investigates the Grand Theatre in Lancaster, England.9 June 1996
2.4 (10)Tales from DartmoorJohn Parker investigates Jay's Grave and Graham Wyley goes to Taw Cottage on Dartmoor.16 June 1996
2.5 (11)The PossessionExploring if voodoo possession really can be substantiated and investigating if strange rituals in Mississippi hold the clues to this wide-reaching and insidious form of attack. Same as episode 4.1 (21), "The Possession".23 June 1996
2.6 (12)Ghosthunters at WorkLooks at The Bell Inn in Thetford, Norfolk, England with ghosthunter Tony Cornell of the Society for Psychical Research. Spiritualist Trish Robertson probes the haunting of an art school.30 June 1996
Series 3 (1996–1997)Edit
These eight episodes were first screened between Sunday 8 December 1996 and Sunday 26 January 1997 (each episode was also repeated on the Wednesday night following the Sunday transmission).

EpisodeTitleDetailFirst
Broadcast
3.1 (13)Spirits of the Civil WarMany modern visitors to a battlefield have reported encounters with seventeenth century soldiers. Same as episode 4.2 (22), "The Spirits of Marston Moor".8 December 1996
3.2 (14)The Phantom SchoolmasterA Victorian school burned down, and in recent years there have been reports of strange happenings a nearby photographic studio. A seance leads to the discovery of a ghostly schoolmaster long since departed. Episode includes interview with Colin Wilson. It subsequently came to light that the case for "finding" the supposed schoolmaster in the official census of 1841 was based on fraudulently altered documentation. (see Ian Cashmore)15 December 1996
3.3 (15)Castle LeslieCastle Leslie is set on a lakeside in southern Ireland. Over the years there have been many unexplained incidents of ghostly activity with long-dead relatives.22 December 1996
3.4 (16)The Phantom FishermanThis episode follows an extraordinary trail of clues that eventually leads to the identification of a troubled spirit of an eighteenth-century fisherman.29 December 1996
3.5 (17)Echoes from beyond the graveOn a lonely windswept country lane, a motorcyclist met his death. But lives on?5 January 1997
3.6 (18)The Priest and the ProfessorA Catholic priest and a professor of psychology try to grapple with the complex problems of apparent possession by a ghostly spirit … resulting in an exorcism.12 January 1997
3.7 (19)The Spirits of Bodmin MoorThe paranormal events experienced by some people who believe they have encountered King Arthur.19 January 1997
3.8 (20)The Case of the Gorton PoltergeistA look behind the scenes of one of the UK's most startling poltergeist cases.26 January 1997
Series 4 (1997)Edit
The following eight episodes were first screened between Sunday 2 February 1997 and Sunday 23 March 1997 (each episode was also repeated on the Wednesday night following the Sunday transmission).

EpisodeTitleDetailFirst
Broadcast
4.1 (21)The PossessionA psychic looks into the mystery of a woman's physical possession by a ghostly spirit. Same as episode 2.5 (11), "The Possession".2 February 1997
4.2 (22)The Spirits of Marston MoorAn investigation into reports of sightings of soldiers long dead. Same as episode 3.1 (13), "Spirits of the Civil Warr".9 February 1997
4.3 (23)In the Shadow of SnowdoniaFollows exorcists as they are called in to restore normality to a haunted farmhouse in the Welsh valleys. They may appear tranquil, but frightening paranormal events can occur beneath the calm.16 February 1997
4.4 (24)Spectres of the SevernThe River Severn is one of Britain's greatest rivers. The high concentration of local haunted dwellings has a fascinating explanation that challenges the common theory and understanding of the strange activity. CJ Romer and Dr. Serena Roney-Dougal.23 February 1997
4.5 (25)The Haunting of County WicklowExperts investigate mysterious and ghostly encounters. Featuring a look into the tale of a drowned boy whose restless spirit haunts the area of Wicklow in Ireland, where he spent his short life.2 March 1997
4.6 (26)The Haunted BypassA new road in Yorkshire runs across land once occupied by a monastery and there are frequent reports of shadowy figures.9 March 1997
4.7 (27)Across the Great DivideAn investigation into the evidence of the human mind after death.16 March 1997
4.8 (28)Battlefield of the SommeDuring the Battle of the Somme, hundreds of thousands of soldiers were killed. A disturbing atmosphere still hangs over the battlefield, which is visited in this programme by medium Peter Bowers.23 March 1997

I saw them on their first outing! Back then they were very unusual and fascinating. As you'll know, one has an interview with the bloke who saw the Roman soldiers in the cellar in York.

However, possibly the most horrifying scene was of the two men on the sofa in their footy shorts manspreading away merrily.
Can't even remember what ghost they'd seen, such was the trauma.

That's weird, I've seen all of those, even though they were only listed as two series. It seems they ran series 1 & 2 as one series and 2 & 3 as the second series.

Are there any updates? They seemed very well meaning and interesting, if a little superficial in their dealings with the subjects. A little more scientific rigour and they would have been practically perfect. A lot of Fortean standards - the roman legion in the cellar, Chingle Hall, Stocksbridge bypass, but there were some others that were new to me and I'd love to see some more contemporary stuff on them!

I watched Ghosthunters back in the 90s, and then watched repeats of it again a few years later. I think it’s an excellent series and started watching them again on YouTube last night. Here‘s the first programme in the series which includes the famous case of the sighting of the Roman soldiers at York by a young plumber working in the cellar of the Treasurer’s House.

The latest episode of Midsummer Murders which aired on UK ITV last night had a witchcraft/black magic theme. Haven't watched it all yet but, as well as West Wycombe's Hellfire caves and mausoleum, which seem to be a go-to for anyone making a programmme of this type, the episode also features quite a bit of Hampden House which was owned by Hammer in the 1970s-80s and featured in quite a few of the Hammer House of Horror episodes. The bit I've watched had quite a few exterior and interior shots of Hampden House and it doesn't seem to have changed a lot since H H of H was made. Worth a watch just for that really and one quite scary bit when Holly Willoughby makes a cameo acting appearance:)

...the episode also features quite a bit of Hampden House which was owned by Hammer in the 1970s-80s and featured in quite a few of the Hammer House of Horror episodes. The bit I've watched had quite a few exterior and interior shots of Hampden House and it doesn't seem to have changed a lot since H H of H was made.

All the greats have acted in front of the camera in Hampden House

...including me.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/hampden-house.8757/

Came across the entire lot on DVD years ago, secondhand, and bought them all for my Dad who loved ghosts. :)

Back