• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. To Declassify Hundreds Of Millions Of Documents

OldTimeRadio said:
Exactly. Peoples' memories of their high school proms don't include scenes from other parties that they attended at age 28 or 29.

They certainly can do! I would recommend reading any of Elizabeth Loftus' work on witnesses and memory, including the classic one of asking how money people had seen a Bugs Bunny character at a Disney theme park.

OldTimeRadio said:
But I also know from long literary discussions with her that she has never read Pynchon.

I would be surpsied if she had. But it's interesting how a piece of fiction might be recycled into urban myth ("I read this somewhere...") and then get picked up by researchers 10 years later. Unfortunately a lot of people do get their 'facts' from fiction (or, worse, Hollywood).

wembley8 said:
They certainly can do! I would recommend reading any of Elizabeth Loftus' work on witnesses and memory, including the classic one of asking how money people had seen a Bugs Bunny character at a Disney theme park.

Yes, I'm familiar with Elizabeth Loftus. I read her first for insights into my own childhood night fears and later for reliable information on False Memory Syndrome.

But I still don't believe people are going to confuse the events at a party attended at age 28 or 29 with their high school proms. There are simply too many buffer years in between, each with their own thousands of memories.

And as for the test dummies "explanation" nobody's yet shown why the percipients "remembered" full-sized manikens as "LITTLE men."

wembley8 said:
OldTimeRadio said:
But I also know from long literary discussions with her that she has never read Pynchon.

I would be surpsied if she had. But it's interesting how a piece of fiction might be recycled into urban myth ("I read this somewhere...") and then get picked up by researchers 10 years later. Unfortunately a lot of people do get their 'facts' from fiction (or, worse, Hollywood).

I was with my friend as she developed her hypothesis. I'll not call it a theory, since she herself didn't believe it to be true. She was merely searching for a variant explanation which covered the facts.

So I believe this is best explained as Independent Invention, created from her own (considerable) intellect.

And I seem to recall that Nick Redfearn has much more recently come up with a comparable theory.

The main reason that Clinton couldn't find any extra info on Roswell is that there isn't any. Some local old boy's network destroyed all the info in the Air Force files to protect Blanchard's reputation years ago.
Goldwater was just bonkers.

But if there is any information to be found among this new avalanche of material it would be welcome.

eburacum said:
The main reason that Clinton couldn't find any extra info on Roswell is that there isn't any. Some local old boy's network destroyed all the info in the Air Force files to protect Blanchard's reputation years ago.

It's just possible that as soon as Clinton requested the materials they were packed up and delivered to some respected, trustworthy, retired Air Force general, where they still sit today in his basement, between the furnace and the water heater. It's no state secret that the Armed Forces couldn't abide Clinton.

Goldwater was just bonkers.

That's not the way he is remembered by the American people, even by most of those who voted against him for President in 1964. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for your documentation on the charge.

Goldwater knew exactly nothing concerning any inside information about UFO secrets; he simply pestered his friend General Le May until the chap understandably told him to quit it.
Nevertheless this lack of concrete information only reinforced his belief in those secrets, which he was not after all privy to (nor entitled to be).

This follows a pattern among high-ranking and prominent UFO believers; they know nothing, and have no secrets to tell, but they are reinforced in their beliefs despite having no concrete information.

Other prominent believers with nothing particular to add to the debate have been Admiral Hill-Norton, who was head of NATO's military comittee, but was never told anything definite about the subject, and was reduced to campaigning for more information from the government because he had none himself;
and the Canadian defence minister Peter Hellyer, who learned nothing about UFOs while in office which was worth repeating, but now also campaigns for more information.

Just because someone rises to a prominent position in the affairs of their country, is popular and carries out their duties competently doesn’t stop them from developing bizarre and irrational obsessions.

It strikes me that withholding Canadian military secrets from the Canadian Minister of Defense, and United States Air Force secrets from BOTH the head of the Air Force AND the Commander in Chief is a far greater threat to North American democracy than any mere war in Iraq.

So who is privy to such secrets....and by what right?

OldTimeRadio said:
And as for the test dummies "explanation" nobody's yet shown why the percipients "remembered" full-sized manikens as "LITTLE men."

Because they didn't start 'remembering' them until the alien theory was commonplace.
There were no reports of bodies, human or otherwise, at the time. They only came later as the mythos grew.

OldTimeRadio said:
I was with my friend as she developed her hypothesis. I'll not call it a theory, since she herself didn't believe it to be true. She was merely searching for a variant explanation which covered the facts.

The Mogul theory does that pretty well.

It goes back to the basic question. Did it happen? Something happened, in my mind a Mogul landing would have set the stage for the myth to be developed from.

Lets say that an alien ship was 'captured' (odd that no one came looking for them).

Lets also agree that no conventional method of communication was used to coordinate the removal of the ship/crew to some location. (no records)

No records were kept of who worked on the project (yet somehow these people had to be paid, their service records kept on tack, evaluations written etc) while they were at location x doing y.

You'd bring in the best people you had to look at the ship/crew (note what happened when they got hold of Soviet aircraft/communication gear) . These people then did what with the information? Again any information created was not dispensed with normal communications. Classified communications at the hightest levels during the 40-50s shows that no one knew what UFO were.

No enemy agent was ever able to penetrate this despite multiple penetrations of our top secret communications, research and nuclear sectors.

Despite 60 years and what must have been repeated changes of personnel no evidence as to where, who or why the capture took place and where it is or who is involved has come out.

No dissenter has ever blown the cover, no reporter, no death bed confession. I wonder how they recruit people for duty? It's also strange that Marcel and the others weren't silenced, prosecuted or killed for openly 'spilling' the beans.

That my friends is one heck of a piece of secrecy. ....IMHO

wembley 8: > "They only came later as the mythos grew".
Tales of the recovery of small alien bodies in the region came as early as the summer of 49. Not many years, only two years later. They were complete with all of the lore, saucer retrieval, military threats, cover-up, indestructible material etc... To be as complete at this date, that suggests they had been already in fruition for a time. Interestingly, they came before the alien theory was commonplace among the public.

Hanslune:
Your review may apply to the alien craft story. Surely, this story is full of holes. It's odd that their fellow aliens didn't come to retrieve them before the US military (but some would answer that the crash was staged, so that it matters not)

But you're making too general assumptions by using some of the old-fashioned arguments, "someone should have blown the cover", "goverments can't keep secrets" etc... Governments surely can keep secrets. But relating to this story, it's not necessary. Have a look at the Roswell arena, it has its share of people who have supposedly blown the cover. Too many, in fact. Yes, it is curious that Marcel et al were never threatened or silenced. But, the circumstances of the (re)emergence of the case in the 70s are curious as a whole. And curious too, if they were only tall tellers, that they were never sanctionned. Other elements are problematic, whatever hypothesis you choose to follow: like the non-sanctionning of BLANCHARD.

The Roswell side put apart, can we say that no 'ultra-top-secret groups' existed? Well, the possibility during the 50s is certainly not a fanciful idea. We know that reports were studied, but not by Blue Book. There are mentions of unregistered organizations. The only thing we are reasonnably sure is that files from 1947 prove that the Air Force had not retrieved any saucer (unless a UFO group existed prior to that, not impossible but unlikely).

And the Roswell legend is not a simple matter. It's not a matter of alien craft vs delusion/hoax. Disinformation, anti-soviet manipulations, attempts at discredit played an important part. More may be revealed in the future. For example, take the Gebauer/Newton/Scully affair. For many years, some ufologists accepted that it was part of a disnformation ploy. Somewhat blindly, without proof or evidence. They were criticized for that. Until evidence surfaced recently that, maybe, it was a disinformation ploy after all.

As the thread relates to declassification of documents, is it possible to fool us on such a scale, to eradicate massive files? The answer is unequivocally: yes. We know that many ones are missing, destroyed or removed (to where?), often following illegal procedures. And it was not restricted to the Roswell/Walker base (likely not to protect a Mogul recovery - and they included the communications). Other bases were affected (although not as indiscriminately). The Advisory Commitee on Human Radiation Experiments stated that whole collections of files, from the 40s and the 50s, were lost or destroyed. We know too of reports who refer to experimentations otherwise unknown. The problem is not if it is possible to hide secret retrievals (not necessarily of alien craft), experimentations or organizations 60 years later. It surely is, and probably happened. And when the GAO report noted the illegal disappearence of four year of files, few seemed bothered. If those people hoped that the public's indifference would prevail, that was a good move. In fact, betting on it rarely led to failure.

Analis said:
wembley 8: > "They only came later as the mythos grew".
Tales of the recovery of small alien bodies in the region came as early as the summer of 49. Not many years, only two years later.

Wow - Can you provide a link or reference on that, as it's quite a radical change from the generally accepted version which IIRC only brings bodies in in the 80's?

There were mangled accounts going round of this well-known scam at Aztec, New Mexico;
http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/181_aztec1.shtml

According to the story, after the Aztec saucer had crashed, it was located, essentially intact, by elements of the US military that gained access to the object via a fractured porthole. Inside were found the bodies of no fewer than 16 small, humanlike creatures, all slightly charred and undoubtedly dead. The UFO was then dismantled and transferred, along with the bodies of the crew, to Wright Field air base, Dayton, Ohio, for study.
But the whole thing seems to have been a confabulation by two or perhaps three con-men;
In 1953, both Newton and Gebauer received suspended prison sentences for their part in defrauding one Herman Flader, a Colorado businessman who owned the Stay Put Clamp and Coupling Factory on the outskirts of Denver, which doesn’t exactly inspire a great deal of confidence in their word.
And many elements of the fabricated Aztec story seem to have found their way into the near-contemporary Roswell story.

And I mean that most sincerely, folks...
Older British readers will probably be familiar with the 'entertainer' Hughie Green most recently famous for being revealed as the father of the late Paula Yates.

But Hughie had another claim to 'fame'; as a major in the Canadian Air Force, he had occasion to be in the USA when the Roswell event occured. He later recalled hearing (on the public radio) about 'a saucer which had crashed in New Mexico'. In 1955 Green mentioned this to the Flying Saucer Review, who published it in their first issue (but with no mention of the name Roswell, which Green seems to have forgotten.
This mention of the event was apparently one of the first clues found by Moore and Friedman when they first rediscovered the story, and was useful as it gave an approximate date.

I myself vaguely remember tabloid reports from the early eighties saying that Hughie Green had been a direct witness to the crash, and had seen alien bodies himself; this was more piffle, as he never got anywhere near the place. But my own aging memory might be at fault there.

Just a little bizarre side note.

Incidentally poor old Paula is an example of how long a secret can be kept; she only found out about her paternity at Green's funeral when she was 38 years old.

Crashed "flying saucers" and dead little aliens were already very much a part of UFOlogy when I came aboard in high school in the late 1950s.

Sure secrets can be kept, especially if no one is looking for them. What about a secret that tens of thousands of people are actively searching for the answer?

I've often wondered why the UFO believers just don't gather a fund and offer an award to anyone who will provide bona fide information on where the bodies and saucer are? In any organization there are always dissenters, those who want to get back at peers or superiors, downtrodden clerks and secretaries-but strangely this has never happened.

Can a super secret organization have existed undetected for generations? Possible but highly improbable. For one thing this organization would have to have access to the highest eschelons of power, be able to command police, media and military resources ....but still not be know by name.

It brings up a SNL style comedy sket

Mr President, the gentleman from X is here to see you

Who?

Mr X

Who is Mr X? What organization

Organization Y

Who?

An organization is only influential if it is known, if a Gestopo agent were to pop up and say, HALT I'm from the weinerweiler do as I say, he'd be ignored.

This would mean that every high ranking member of the military, police and media would need to personally know these people.....It starts to get very very difficult to understand how this organization would function-it would also have to function internationally.

"As William Moore and Charles Berlitz reported in their book The Roswell Incident (1980), a British Royal Air Force officer, Flight Lieutenant Hughie Green, was at the time driving his car from California to Philadelphia. While traversing the state of New Mexico, Green heard the first radio reports concerning the crashed saucer near Roswell. Continuing on his journey, he heard several updates to the story, including several "we interrupt this program" news flashes. By the time Green arrived in Philadelphia, however, there was no further reporting about the event. The story was dead."

http://greyfalcon.us/restored/The%20Ros ... Report.htm

So any suggestion he was en eyewitnesses to alien bodies or anything else seems to have been fabricated afterwards.

Story do tend to build over time. That is particularly true when some people's agenda involve building up such stories. If you ever have a chance read a book by Peter Lamont who shows how a faked story about a bogus Indian Magic trick was so accpeted by the public that people began to claim they'd actually seen it.

http://skepdic.com/indianrope.html

One other thought on the documentation. Lets say someone went and removed all the documents, messages and notes on UFOs and aliens from all the various military files from the '40s-to whenever. Think about what you'd have to do, go to hundreds of sites, obtain clearance for everything, read and identify hundreds of thousands of pages of material -so who would do that? How many people realistically would be involved in the conspiracy who you could use to do this type of work, they wouod have to have enough knowledge about the conspiracy to know what needed to be hidden and otherwise recognize what was 'dangerous'. If you used non-involved people, they would of course learn all about the conspiracy by finding the material... quite the paradox.

Also how do you make sure other nations did the same thing?

Examples of claims contemporary with and similar to Koehler/Newton (their own accounts arose in 49) are given in CLARKE's UFO book. For example, The Los Angeles Free Press spoke of six small dead and burned humanoids found in a UFO, composed of a metal "so hard a hacksaw could not cut it". The informant, a 'local businesswoman', said that her source was a scientist friend. Nothing new under the sun...

Frank SCULLY was the first in his book to popularize this story. Like now, his locations were in the US Southwest, and moving: one in New Mexico at Aztec, two in Arizona. But he spoke too confusingly of his location in New Mexico near a proving ground. Meaning not Aztec, only White Sands, Kirtland or Roswell could fit his description. The beginning of the ever-shifting location, it never stopped until now. The Lorenzens were alone among main core ufologists to conduct (small) inquiries during the 50s. One of their witnesses spoke of a crash and retrieval in the vicinity of Taos (near Santa Fe). Jimmy GUIEU, in a 1954 book, gave a number of so-called crash locations, at White Sands, Durango, Laredo, Sierra Madre, etc... It looks like a migrant anecdote

'Roswell' has become something of a 'catch-all' for a series of claims in New Mexico, or more generally US South West (or even Northern Mexico) If it is now known as 'the Roswell incident', no one said that something crashed at Roswell itself. The Foster ranch is something like 90 km from Roswell, the existence of another crash site nearer Roswell is disputed. When the Maltais came to tell their story, they did not mention 'Roswell', but they were aware that others had made claims of saucer and alien bodies recovery in New Mexico in the 40s.

The FT article about he Gebauer/Newton/Scully story was interesting. It gave evidence that high-ranked people were bothered by it (and maybe inspired it). Why, we don't know. To hide a true recovery, of an alien saucer or a redfernian secret aircraft? Or because inquiries risked to expose the UFO secrecy policy? Or did they try to fool Soviets into believing that the US had into their possession a source of infinite knowledge? Or a mix of those possibilities.

Hanslune:

Generally, people who work in highly classified projects have some sort of special pass, who gives them total access to any data. At their mere request and at any moment, without their interlocutors being allowed to ask them anything. People at both ends of this chain know that they shouldn't say or ask anything unnecessary. Compartimentalization is an efficient way to prevent leaks. Cold War and intelligence experts agree that many projects probably remain hidden.

Relating to the problem of the existence of ultra secret agencies in the UFO field, things are different if you speak of UFO only, of UFOs + Roswell as an alien crash retrieval, or if you're speaking of Roswell as something else, a redfernian event for example. In the latter possibility, ships and bodies were probably destroyed long ago. If there was an ET craft to study, a huge logistic would have been needed. Probably with a great number of scientists diverted from their previous tasks (like it happened with the building of the A-bomb). If this project had only to studyreports from reliable (i.e. military) sources, less resources were needed - that doesn't mean that it wasn't crucial. There is a number of evidence at that, I'll give some later. Like witnesses interviewed, declassified files, testimonies by heads of other projects or former officers (see Gordon COOPER's book).

Relating to the behaviour of other nations, I remember there was a thread. The general idea being that the USA (or the USSR) didn't have to enforce anything, because spontaneously, any state would be very reluctant to admit the existence of UFOs. It is hard to explain that his airspace is violated while being absolutely powerless to do anything.

Hanslune said:
Sure secrets can be kept, especially if no one is looking for them. What about a secret that tens of thousands of people are actively searching for the answer?

One method would be for the Government to paint the searchers as dangerous crackpots and especially as DISLOYAL dangerous crackpots.

Analis said:
Examples of claims contemporary with and similar to Koehler/Newton (their own accounts arose in 49) are given in CLARKE's UFO book. For example, The Los Angeles Free Press spoke of six small dead and burned humanoids found in a UFO, composed of a metal "so hard a hacksaw could not cut it".

The Los Angeles Free Press was not founded until 1964. They therefore could not have published anything contemporary with the 1947 Roswell incident, though they may well have covered it later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Free_Press

This source looks a bit suspect.

Analis said:
It looks like a migrant anecdote.

Exactly. The crashed saucers and alien bodies story eventually met up with the Roswell sotry and joined up.

Another example - Merlin and Camelot. The Merlin tales were around for centuries before he ever became associated with King Arthur, now they are inseparable. "The tale grows in the telling..." - and the facts, if any, are lost in the mists of time.

I've seen little evidence that UFO searchers are deemed disloyal or dangerous. They appear at best as driven, obscessed and a bit unaccepting of contra-evidence.

Having said that thats not my opinion but how I think most of the public sees them. Of course lots of people if not the majority think that there are UFOs and aliens floating around.

Back to documentation. It difficult to see how such an organization could have arose and maintained such levels of secrecy. I think it well accepted that if such an organization exists it is unknown/not controlled by the military, intelligence agencies or any other governmental agency.

If so one wonders how it could function.

One needs to find the a disgruntled clerk.......

This sounds good at first, "woo lots of stuff to catch up on etc" (well some of it might), but all the juicy stuff is going to be left out.

What makes me really sad is how much of the things that has happened over the years (not only aliens but all weird things) has been deleted and hidden from the public forever.

I keep thinking about all the experiments that have gone wrong or accidents that have been covered up, also all the things that could benefit mankind but have been put on the back burner because were not "ready" for it yet.

Nevermind, i better start geting over it lmao. :roll: :lol:

Hey Cokker

I keep thinking about all the experiments that have gone wrong or accidents that have been covered up, also all the things that could benefit mankind but have been put on the back burner because were not "ready" for it yet

I'm curious, like what?

The general rule for inventions is, if someone can make money from it, then hell yes, we're ready for it. ;)

So true. Its like the myth "the oil companies suppress other technologies". Why the heck would they do that? Oil companies are run by guys who want to make money. If they found out there was a new technology for say, making gasoline from another source there reaction would be:

Start a new company and sell the new technology, even if you did come up with a new tech, it would take decades to replace the present infrastructure. Even better they could sell their own companies stock short.

Even with a new technology the old technology would still have value, as a raw material for plastics, etc.

Little items like depreciation would help too.

Hanslune: >"I think it well accepted that if such an organization exists it is unknown/not controlled by the military, intelligence agencies or any other governmental agency."
We don't know. Perhaps it is true now, dispatched between various actors in the military-industrial complex. But we can't rely on the denegations from those agencies. And in the 40s and 50s, the ordinary military hierarchy was probably more involved. It is difficult to ascertain who made what. But decisions were probably taken at a very high level.

If we didn't find disgruntled clerks, that means only that we didn't find them. We have enough evidence to ascertain these studies existed. Waters were mudied in this area by the spreading of a number of bogus documents, the most notorious being the MJ-12. Probably this was intended. But there are good examples, I'll give only a limited sample of them.
A document titled "Analysis of Flying Objects Incidents in the US", dating from December 1948, told that the frequency of observations and the number of witnesses per observation pattern had been established.

Edward J. RUPPELT related in his book how he met a secret group of scientists, close to the White House.
A number of witnesses described how they were interviewed by people, clearly not from Blue Book. Jacques Vallée gave an example. The witness's relation of the scientific procedures was correct. Interestingly, some of those witnesses were Central or South Americans (probably to catch less attention) another of them was involved in a CE3 near Caracas, in November 54.

And it is obvious that Grudge, Twinkle or Blue Book were only front covers, public relation offices, apart from the fact that it would be ridiculous to let such a potential threat unstudied. As a whole, 1949 and 50 documents show that important discussions within the military took place outside Project Grudge (some transcripts seem to be missing). It was not involved with the most important observations, like at Oak Ridge or Los Alamos. Grudge was clearly held as negligible by people in charge. The Air Force Regulation 200-2, published on 12th August 1954, mentions as destination of the reports: the commander of Air Defense Command, the commander of Air Tactical Intelligence Center, the directot air USAF Intelligence, the Nearest Air Division. But Blue Book is unmentioned. And what of a 'saucer project' whose head is not allowed to take a transportation to study a worrying violation of airspace above the White House?

A nimporatn information is in Gordon COOPER's book, chapter 4. He describes how, when he was stationned at Edwards AFB as a captain, two of his cameramen saw and film a flying saucer landing on 3rd may 1957. He followed the procedure, phoned to the Pentagon via a specific number. He described the observation to a captain, then to a colonel, then to a general. He was ordered to develop the negatives and send the prints to Washington via a diplomatic case. He was allowed to have a look at the negatives, he wrote they clearly showed a classic disk with dome. He couldn't watch the film. After they were sent via a flight, he never heard of them again. It would make little sense that they were not studied, but the Pentagon staff seemingly didn't see the need to make a field investigation. And why would he, as the documents were excellent and the witnesses were reliable? Military investigators are not in the same situation than a private ufologist: they already know the witness's background, and don't have to check it. Of course, the USAF tried to debunk the case using a phoney weather balloon explanation. Interestingly, there is only a vague mention of the case in Blue Book files. But no one knows where the photos are. The use of FOIA proved worthless.

Back