• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Reports By Astronauts (General / Compendium Thread)

eburacum said:
which one are you referring to?

This video posted before will show you what I mean...

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=609475&highlight=green+balls+spheres+space+earth#609475

coldelephant said:
eburacum said:
which one are you referring to?

This video posted before will show you what I mean...

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=609475&highlight=green+balls+spheres+space+earth#609475

I have another question. Read through the other thread and kept coming across the argument that particles look as if they change direction because the shuttle rolls over to adjust itself. That makes again sense to me but why are all the other glowing points static in comparison, even if the shuttle rolls?
Is there a known explanation for this?

The only working clip on that page is thism one, as far as I can see
http://www.ufocasebook.com/sts114080605.html
Actually I think most of those films were black and white, so any green colouration is probably caused by the conversion to computer video format.

In that film I noticed one particularly bright ice particle, probably expelled from the attitude jet when it fired; gradually the Shuttle begins to turn, and the particle appears to follow a curved path with respect to the location of the camera. In fact the particle follows a straight path and it is the camera which moves, (and of course the shuttle which the camera is attached to) because of the gentle thrust imparted to the shuttle by the jet itself.
Most of the other lights are night-lights on the Earth's dark side, (despite what Ruffready said, some ships at sea have bright lights, particularly fishing vessels, and other lights are probably islands) although I think one small transient flash might have been a meteor entering the atmosphere a hundred or more kilometers below the craft.

Sorry for sounding dim but why are the earthlights static even if the shuttle turns?
Shuttle turns, lights should move unless the camera keeps the same position even if the shuttle turns. In that case it shuldn't be able to make the ice/water particles move unless they turn with the shuttle.

I'd be grateful if it could be explained a little more.

Cheers

Well, I was wrong.
The fixed lights are not on the Earth's surface; the Shuttle is moving much too fast for them to be nightlights. They must have some other explanation; as they don't hardly move at all, I can only suspect that they are ice on the outside of the shuttle window.
Last time I looked at this video I realised that those lights couldn't be on the Earth; I even ran a simulation in Celestia to see how fast the Earth's rotation would appear to move in real time (quite fast, actually).
But this time I forgot all that; sorry about that...

So the fixed lights are probably no more than ice on the outside of the window. At the end of the video the camera moves orientation slightly; you can see the Earth's clouds moving past quite quckly (but it is a very poor image, all in all).

eburacum,
I can't do anything but agree with your comments in the sense that The WHY? Files do not include every relevant aspect of "every topic" - things always seem to need adding. It will always be that way I am afraid.
Perhaps you might like to submit an article that you believe to be relevant and which fills a gap or two? Just a thought. The invitation is offered.

wowsah156
As far as the shuttle cameras are concerned there are things that I am unsure of - such as if a camera is focused on infinity would it register a "snowflake" or ice crystal close up?

This is a good topic that interests me directly. However, your link is not a good place to start. The errors in the article are pathetic. The writer obviously has no background knowledge of the topic.
eg "Eugene Ceman" (the pronunciation of this error in relation to the astronaut's actual name would make anyone who really knows Apollo laugh out loud). And Ed White was not the first man to walk on the moon. He wasn't even alive when Armstrong made that incredible step. Such a fundamental error is inexcusable.

That you didn't pick up on these kinds of fuck ups makes me question whether you are really serious about what you're posting. The board regulars have probably already relegated you to sodomite status for these oversights (they tend to do that), but here's a chance to recover your quality. What do you know about these brilliant men and their accomplishments? Aldrin identified an object on 11 - all the evidence, in my opinion, points to the fact that it was a stage element. Cooper was certainly a bona fide believer, but what evidence did he ever provide? White and McDivitt (very very straight shooters the pair of 'em) never, to my knowledge, made any claims of ufo sightings on their Gemini IV mission. There are some astronaut accounts that remain speculative, but no hard evidence exists that ANY Mercury, Apollo or Gemini astro saw anything anomolous. I have a deep and abiding interest in the manned US moon ventures of the 60s and 70s, and there is very little I haven't already investigated in depth. The near-earth orbits saw debris from staging floating around the spacecraft, and that's the best evidence there is. Aldrin's account is the only one I'm aware of that hints at a possible tracking craft (see my personal opinion of that above).

I'll admit to not knowing much about astronaut experiences with UFOs! Just posted the link as I ran across it, Skinny. Boards are about learning. I don't do background research on everything I post, and neither do many others. If you have good links or opinions, or consider yourself an expert, educate us about it, and the thread will hold merit. The UFO subject is something I fairly recently began to study, for compelling reasons, and it appears to have many aspects. Some very nice people, but also some nasty critters on this board though! I'll also admit to this being my last post here. I find it sad that many experts are so poorly socialized; I have known many of them, and seen it again and again (I actually think it might be a prerequisite!) ... And now it doesn't even phase me anymore. My purpose(s) in posting here, are done now, actually. And overall, I have enjoyed it! Anything else I would have to post would be trite, and I feel Google Books is mined out on new historic UFO cases. On other forums when they get very slow, ANYTHING posted is fun to read. So, that is all. I have enjoyed some of your posts, for what it is worth. :)
The UFO phenomenon doesn't appear to be going away :lol: I don't need to socialize with others about it. The answers are out there for us each to discover.

That's right. No astronaut has seen a UFO in space. Aldrin identified his sighting as one of the farings from his own rocket - part of the SIVB booster, which was following Apollo 11 within visible range.

Gordon Cooper did see a UFO when he was a pilot, but there is no other record of it apart from his own remembered testimony. He did not see a UFO on his Mercury flight, according to his autobiography. Neither did he see a UFO at White Sands, as some people believe.

The 'These babies are huge' transmission simply didn't happen. Why would anyone still trot tjhat one out?

The best sightings are those by Slayton and White, both of which occured in airplanes, not spacecraft; but they aren't really much different from other sightings by aircraft pilots.

I always liked the story of the astronaut on the moon who saw a figure standing some distance away on the lip of a crater, but the details escape me. Anyone recall that one?

skinny said:
This is a good topic that interests me directly. However, your link is not a good place to start. The errors in the article are pathetic. The writer obviously has no background knowledge of the topic.
eg "Eugene Ceman" (the pronunciation of this error in relation to the astronaut's actual name would make anyone who really knows Apollo laugh out loud). And Ed White was not the first man to walk on the moon. He wasn't even alive when Armstrong made that incredible step. Such a fundamental error is inexcusable.

That you didn't pick up on these kinds of fuck ups makes me question whether you are really serious about what you're posting. The board regulars have probably already relegated you to sodomite status for these oversights (they tend to do that), but here's a chance to recover your quality. What do you know about these brilliant men and their accomplishments? Aldrin identified an object on 11 - all the evidence, in my opinion, points to the fact that it was a stage element. Cooper was certainly a bona fide believer, but what evidence did he ever provide? White and McDivitt (very very straight shooters the pair of 'em) never, to my knowledge, made any claims of ufo sightings on their Gemini IV mission. There are some astronaut accounts that remain speculative, but no hard evidence exists that ANY Mercury, Apollo or Gemini astro saw anything anomolous. I have a deep and abiding interest in the manned US moon ventures of the 60s and 70s, and there is very little I haven't already investigated in depth. The near-earth orbits saw debris from staging floating around the spacecraft, and that's the best evidence there is. Aldrin's account is the only one I'm aware of that hints at a possible tracking craft (see my personal opinion of that above).

Having been on this message board for several years under a couple of names, (joined originally around 2003 or probably earlier), and therefore a regular I would say that most folk on here are very patient and tolerant of others and their peculiarities. I don't know many who would label any poster a sodomite.

Not that the practice of sodomy is anything to write home about these days, but they way you've used it is obviously meant to be an insult.

Feinman's posts may be a little frustrating at times but who really gives a sh*t? If anything it gives experts in their fields the opportunity to point him in the right direction as you've done in your above post.

Lets just leave out the insults.

Aw bugger, there I go crossing lines again. I thought I was rather restrained, tbh. But you're right, naughty. What I said was unforgiveable, and I see how it could be taken completely the wrong way by witless internet saps. English is a tricky language.

Fact is, I contributed a valid response to a bullshit link. Please try to contribute something of relevance yourself, petal.

gncxx said:
I always liked the story of the astronaut on the moon who saw a figure standing some distance away on the lip of a crater, but the details escape me. Anyone recall that one?

Never heard that story...unless it was in Tintin??

Moooksta said:
gncxx said:

Snowy chased the creature off.

skinny said:
Aw bugger, there I go crossing lines again. I thought I was rather restrained, tbh. But you're right, naughty. What I said was unforgiveable, and I see how it could be taken completely the wrong way by witless internet saps. English is a tricky language.

Fact is, I contributed a valid response to a bullshit link. Please try to contribute something of relevance yourself, petal.

Loving the "witless internet saps" comment. This guy is comedy gold.

Feinman was (and hopefully still is) a genuine and enthusiastic poster on these boards. Skinny might have been somehow offended by the quality of the material that he was linking to, but if Skinny is more of an expert on such matters then he should point out the errors in a decent way. that's what decent people do.

Fact is, Skinny contributed a bullshit response to a valid link that Feinman was thowing onto the forum for comment. You're an idiot Skinny. You'll never know it cause you are too far up your own arse, probably need a window in your stomach so you can see where you are going.

Moooksta said:
gncxx said:

It might be in Tim Good's Above Top Secret, I could have a look. Apologies if I'm misremembering.

gncxx said:
Moooksta said:
gncxx said:

It might be in Tim Good's Above Top Secret, I could have a look. Apologies if I'm misremembering.

I've got that book....in a box....somewhere gncxx...I can dig it out and check myself but it doesn't ring any bells.

Might have been one of Good's other books... a chapter on astronaut sightings maybe?

linesmachine said:
skinny said:

Loving the "witless internet saps" comment. This guy is comedy gold.

Feinman was (and hopefully still is) a genuine and enthusiastic poster on these boards. Skinny might have been somehow offended by the quality of the material that he was linking to, but if Skinny is more of an expert on such matters then he should point out the errors in a decent way. that's what decent people do.

Fact is, Skinny contributed a bullshit response to a valid link that Feinman was thowing onto the forum for comment. You're an idiot Skinny. You'll never know it cause you are too far up your own arse, probably need a window in your stomach so you can see where you are going.
Out of left field comes the voice of reason. I am up my own arse. No denying the facts. I feel I'm in good company here, though. linesmachine, what is your point? Have you anything to contribute to the thread, or are you just enjoying the opportunity for a good ol' gangbang? Anybody else wanna stick in the blade? I'm open.

The "valid" link is bogus, linesmachine. If you think Ed White was the first person to walk on the moon, and you have the support of a majority of posters in your delusion, then I wish you the very best in your fantasies. Feinman was (and hopefully is) very happy to spend time with his little green friends. He doesn't need your affirmation.

gncxx said:
Might have been one of Good's other books... a chapter on astronaut sightings maybe?

Right, I had a look at my copy of ATS and in the NASA chapter there's a few pages on astronauts seeing "things" on the moon, including Apollo 11 crew watching a flashing light on a crater to actual spaceships (big ones). I might have been mixed up and thought this meant someone saw a figure watching them, but then again I might have the wrong book. It's probably lost in the mists of time now.

skinny said:

Well that's a new one never been called "petal' before.

You always this obnoxious?

Don't bother replying as I'm guessing you've honed your professional arsehole/trolling skills to the max and basically you are boring.

ah i had actually got to thinking old feinman had imploded somewhere ... this thread explains it all !

HenryFort said:
ah i had actually got to thinking old feinman had imploded somewhere ... this thread explains it all !
I very much doubt it. A poster who cashes in his chips because he gets pulled up by another on one thread has other things going on.

And this little gangbang is pathetic. I've been bitchslapped by regulars here, sometimes deserved and sometimes unfairly, hence the comment in my first post which wasn't an attack on the OP if you read it in that context. What I won't do is bail out due to a negative response to what I post. I've contributed plenty of topics over the past 9 years, and I've broken no terms of service. If I transcended the social niceties, too bad. I'm different. I shoot straight. If you can't deal with it, put me on ignore. I don't give a rat's arse.

Back