• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs for the gull-ible

I took some pics of a local tree that we may lose because of road widening:

IMG_2204.jpg

But what's that, top left?

Here it is, full-size:

IMG_2204b.jpg

It's a Space Worm! :shock:

A steel-grey UFO seen over Mounts Bay today....

IMG_2828b.jpg

Now, where's Nick Pope when you need him..?

Don't know what Mr.Pope would say, but Richard Wiseman is hedging his bets.. :

'UFO' spotted over stately home in Hertfordshire
A magnificent stately home, Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, has found itself at the centre of a UFO riddle after a mystery object was photographed hovering above it.
Published: 9:34AM BST 29 Jul 2009

The flying shape was snapped hovering over the house at Hatfield, near Welwyn Garden City.

Chris Middleton, of Welwyn, took the picture on a visit to the Jacobean house and garden, the home of the 7th Marquess of Salisbury.

"It made no noise and I didn't see it until I put the image on my computer," he said. "If you sharpen the image and zoom right in you can see it~s no normal aircraft and you can see a red heat source behind it.

"I think it's impossible for there not to be something like that out there - the universe is so vast. He had the intriguing image examined by professional photographers - and none of them could explain it."

Richard Wiseman, psychology professor at the University of Hertfordshire, has an international reputation for research into the paranormal.

Prof Wiseman said: "It's very difficult to tell what it is because it is tricky to know how far the object is from the camera. I guess that it could be a bird or a paraglider in the distance, or a small piece of dust or debris very close to the lens.

"Either way, I don't think Hatfield House should be bracing themselves for a close encounter of the third kind quite yet."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... shire.html

Pity they don't show an enlarged version of the 'ufo' - "you can see a red heat source behind it" - probably a seagull after eating a discarded chilli! :D

UFO Examiner recently posted another seagull. And a ball. And a camera-shake squiggle.There was that Peruvian giant snake brouhaha on the CFZ site where two 'researchers' mistook a mudbank for a 130 foot long snake.

Some people need turning over and their pillows fluffing up a bit.We need a catchy term for such anomalous non-events, and maybe a top ten witless Fortean sightings chart. Ever seen a website with "Think Before You Post" above the contact details panel? A good idea whose time has come , methinks.

As it's raining here, and supposed to continue all day, I'll take some time to show you a 'UFO' I snapped recently.

I was trying (not very succesfully) to capture a sunset from a bus:

IMG_0539.jpg

But what's that in the sky, top left...?

IMG_0539b.jpg

UFO, bird, insect, contrail, something on the bus window...? You decide! :D

Hmmm....bird or insect I reckon.
Any shots either side of that frame, or taken at about the same time, showing anything like birds or insects that are clearly identifiable, by way of comparison?

trevp66 said:
Any shots either side of that frame, or taken at about the same time, showing anything like birds or insects that are clearly identifiable, by way of comparison?
'Fraid not. There aren't many insects around this time of year, but an insect would have had to be inside the bus to show up that size on the pic.

I'm still clinging to the hope that it's a Zeta Reticulan Photon Starship! :D

It could be a skydiver.....a very brave one

Another flight of fancy for conspiracy theorists as 'UFO' is caught on camera off Cornish coast
By Nadia Gilani
Last updated at 1:07 PM on 11th October 2011

Spotting a UFO is not the kind of sight-seeing you expect to find when you go on holiday.
But that is exactly what one man chanced upon without even realising it when he thought he was taking a picturesque photograph of the sea.
The witness had been taking a stroll in Black Head at Trenarren near St Austell, Cornwall at around 5pm on August 1, when he pulled out his camera to capture a snap of the sea.

In a strange twist, it was not until he later downloaded the photograph from his digital camera onto his computer that he noticed the mysterious 'flying object' hovering above.
The photograph of the circular object has now been unveiled at the Cornwall UFO Research Group (CUFORG), which was founded by Dave Gillham in 1995.
He said: 'The person who took the photo never saw anything in the area while taking the photo.
'It was only when he got home and downloaded it onto his computer that he saw an object - a disc shaped craft, hovering just above the sea.
'There appear to be two trails of water beneath the object which looks as though they are falling from it in to the sea.
'It could be that the object has just emerged from the sea.'

Mr Gillham could not shed any further light on the origins of the object, which has left many scratching their heads for an explanation.
Other observers have a more straight forward answer - it is merely a seagull going to the loo mid-flight.

A spokesman for the Royal Navy air base at nearby Culdrose confirmed that no military aircraft were in the area at the time.
He said: 'Culdrose did not have any aircraft airborne after 5pm on Monday August 1 so any helicopter in the St Austell area was not one of ours.
'As the airfield was closed until approximately 19.00 when the SAR was scrambled to an incident at Newquay the radar was not manned between 17.00 and 19.00.
'It is always possible of course that a civilian helicopter could have been in the vicinity of St Austell around 17.14.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1aZ005Yn7

I cannot believe CUFORG could be so naive! It's not a 'disc-shaped object', it's a pesky seagull! Wings, head, tail and eye are easy to identify. As for 'two trails of water beneath the object which looks as though they are falling from it in to the sea', they are almost certainly distant sailing boats.

This opinion comes from a man who spends a lot of time taking photos from the coast - me! 8)

I saw that yesterday Rynn, apart from a few tinfoil hatters, the majority of the other 450+ agree with you. Do you suppose COFORG actually has any members other than Dave Gillham?

Timble2 said:
I saw that yesterday Rynn, apart from a few tinfoil hatters, the majority of the other 450+ agree with you. Do you suppose COFORG actually has any members other than Dave Gillham?
I don't know. I some times used to see posters for CUFORG's meetings, and thought of having a look in, but I never got round to it. Seems I didn't miss much! :D

trevp66 said:
It could be a skydiver.....a very brave one

One whose parachute just failed, given the distance above ground...

This is No. 3,687,125 in our series "I didn't see anything when I took the picture":

UFO.jpg

I was taking a series of pics of Highway Maintenance people removing a lamp-post when this 'UFO' cropped up in one of them.

It's not a convincing seagull (which way is it flying?), and the white vehicle behind is a distraction too.

(Pic was taken near Hayle harbour, where a new bridge is being built. Perhaps aliens are monitoring its progress... ;) )

More to the point, why were you taking a pic of some blokes arse? :)

Ronson8 said:
More to the point, why were you taking a pic of some blokes arse? :)
This is just a crop of the whole pic, which was about removing the lamp-post.

So perhaps the point is, why do you focus on the blokes arse? ;)

You're just giving them data to improve their camouflage.

Are we sure it isn't a very small Klingon Bird of Prey, de-cloaking?

Yes, we are.

Whoever heard of the Klingons painting a warship white?

Back in Hayle today, and snapped this mechanical digger in action:

HayleUFO.jpg

But what's that in the sky, to the left..?

Saucer.jpg

It's a Flying Saucer!

Good enough for The Sun or the Daily Mirror? ;)

I like that one, it's a bird isn't it.

You go a long way to hire your diggers down there by the way.

oldrover said:

South Wales isn't that far from Cornwal.

oldrover said:

Judging by the dark colour, the bird's a rook or a crow. (A gull under that angle of sun would have been white or grey.)

That digger has been on site for about a year now - it's a very versatile machine, usually involved in everything that goes on. It used to fly a large Welsh flag, but that must have been blown to tatters by now!

Back