• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncanny Hearing: Impossible Electronic Tones Heard Close-By

I am fairly sure that there is very-little information (even anecdotal) specifically regarding dentata vampir, and even less in respect of endcranial reception of radio transmissions by people with large canine teeth. Interesting....

The addition of amalgam fillings or orthodontic braces (presumably another very-rare aspect for concern in the annals of vampyrdom) can act as electrochemical ion path detectors for strong radio signals that are traditional 'AM' (amplitude modulated), but the advent of FM and digital transmission modes will make this much less likely as an occurence.

As well as the loose demonstrable capability for teeth/metal/saliva combinations to sometimes demodulate/detect radio signals, there have also been propiscious aspects of resonance and wavelength-matching, in such circumstances, which have permitted a degree of involuntary discrimination of specific strongest signals from amongst a jumble of co-channelled contenders.

The other final factor in this improbably-productive combination of "teeth radio" is the act of hearing via bone conduction across the temporomandibular joint, resulting then in transduction/acception by the inner ear.

I believe there is an undocumented aspect of hearing (both direct accoustic, and by extension, also psycho-accoustic misapprehension) wherein the mouth and throat play an important part in the instinctive perception/ differention/ identification of sound. Similarly, the cranial sinuses and outer ear cartilidge all play a part in hearing (and pseudo-hearing).

Back when cheap digital watches were an almost -compulsory western accessory, many would rudely and redundantly bleep on the hour, every hour. Such a social herd phenomenon became largely overtaken by the very earliest days of mobile phones (1980s, pre-mid), but to this day, certain unexpected double-time sqeeks of tonal similarity (generated conventionally, but not personally, though within my earshot) appear to my mind's ear to have just originated from my wrist, despite this being utterly not being the case.

This is a semi-Pavlovian obsolete reflex that I've failed to unlearn over even nearly 30 years...

It is very true that those 'of our ilk' and in years gone by, had no need of a dentist. However; the successful union with other 'Noble' lineages such as the 'Herritzens' of Vienna, has, unfortunately, had its downsides; problems with teeth being one such example. However; we have had little difficulty in finding a dentist who is sympathetic to our needs. In fact, I would say that the dental profession seems to be awash with bloodsuckers.
My late brothers problems, stemmed from his addiction to 'Sugared-Spiders', a rare delicacy created by my 'batman,' 'Renfield.'

Ermintruder, your account bought back a memory of a mildly puzzling episode last June. Early evening, its warm and windless as I walk across a field with dog, suddenly to my left I hear what sounds like 3 beeps of an old style digital watch. I don't have digital watch, nor have a phone with me and my dog does not beep ( least ways never heard him beeping). No idea where it came from, every time I walk that field I have a look around just in case.

BTW this is near the spot where people hear steam engines

Annic

BTW this is near the spot where people hear steam engines

Whilst I would always seek conventional explanations (sound-reflective surfaces, underground drains acting as accoustic conduits, high-amplitude/ remote-source sounds, a lost (and hence grass-hidden) smart-phone...it is very tempting to think of:

• the identifiable edge of reality frays, within our consciousness
  • some (currently) incomprehensible audio echo portal, stretching between different times and eras, but at the same point in space

Many years ago I experienced a very compelling audio hallucination that differs from those described here so far. I had just completed a long drive of about 8 hours duration and laid myself down to sleep, but was pretty wired from the driving. As I lay there I heard music - unfamiliar music, an energetic funky instrumental number with drums, bass, guitar, and a sax section. It was pretty loud, about as loud as you'd set your sound system if you wanted to converse above the music. Very clear and distict. Mystified, I got out of bed, and the music immediately stopped. I walked around looking for it's source. No radios playing, no cars outside, I had no neighbors within 1/4 mile. I laid back down and it started right back up. Same funky number. Saxophones playing synchopated riffs in 3 part harmony. Got back out of bed several times and it stopped every time, and started again as soon as I hit the pillow. Took me a while to conclude I was hallucinating it.

I've mostly only ever had auditory hallunination that were hypnogogic or related to sleep disturbance. It does seem to be a peculiarity of those that they stop as soon as I'm alert enough to consciously turn my attention to them.

The only 'electronic' one was the sound of my phone ringing, it would wake me up, and again would stop as soon as I really became aware of it.

The one exception was a very weird migraine hallunination, I heard a voice clearly speak, sounded like something from hell, like someone's voice stuck through a bunch of effects processors, weirdest part was that the migraine fuzz 'vibrated' as it spoke. :eek:

Perhaps it's not surprising that we hear all sorts of inexplicable sounds nowadays when the world is so incredibly noisy and our houses are packed full of electronic gadgetry which to me( getting on a bit) appears to have a life of its own. A car we have doesn't even keep quiet when it's switched off, various systems buzz and groan as it loudly "goes to sleep". I wonder whether auditory hallucinations are really a very modern phenomenon or whether centuries ago people heard inexplicable sounds which were spooky to them.

In the summer of 2008, I was with my girlfriend on the tiny islet of Telendos, a short boat ride from Kalymnos, a Greek island in the Dodecanese.

We were on a secluded nudist Beach and it was quite a walk from the small cluster of Taverna's near to the harbour.

Whilst on the beach we both distinctly heard a very strange frequency type sound which seemed to penetrate our heads and which lasted for about two seconds. It was quite similar to what you would hear when an old style TV was switched on in another room but with no sound on, however somewhat louder.

We both exclaimed "did you hear that?!" Before carrying on enjoying the beach.

There was nothing nearby that could have generated sun a frequency - no aerials, boats or machinery.

Interestingly, submerged in about six feet or water, a short distance away from the beach, I also discovered the remains of a WWII sea mine, the shell partially intact and the gubbins inside, clearly visible.

Whilst on the beach we both distinctly heard a very strange frequency type sound which seemed to penetrate our heads and which lasted for about two seconds. It was quite similar to what you would hear when an old style TV was switched on in another room but with no sound on, however somewhat louder.
Valve-based circuitry? Something to do with the old mine? Mind you, I'd have thought that no circuitry would be functioning.

Mind you, I'd have thought that no circuitry would be functioning.
Having checked a few on-line cutaway diagrams of WW1 sea-mines, their detonation circuitry was remarkably-simple and resilient, it wouldn't have had to rely upon thermionic valves, so, I would maintain a respectful distance away from any 100 yr old ticking timebombs (and also any younger ones)

However, there are many brave people out there, who will happily repurpose such things (this looks almost like taking a dump inside the corpse of a Dalek...
article-0-0BE416E7000005DC-143_306x676.jpg

I believe there is an undocumented aspect of hearing (both direct accoustic, and by extension, also psycho-accoustic misapprehension) wherein the mouth and throat play an important part in the instinctive perception/ differention/ identification of sound.
I want to re-emphasise this point.

By observation, I believe that many animals, and quite a few humans, on hearing an unrecognised sound do open their mouths.

As well as cocking the head instinctively to one side (presumably so as to hear an alternative set of position-indicating echo-sets) I strongly suspect that open-mouthed hearing is an undocumented non fight-or-flight reflex in mammals.

I felel it is a reflective / search/ analysis action, in reaction to a distant or unclear sound.

Accoustic resonance within the palate / throat will undoubtedly amplify low-amplitude sounds, especially those made by kin/predator groups.

The mouth reaction to a close-by roar/ rifle-bolt action is to clam-up, as per an extended infantile APGAR / self-hug etc.

But I'm now convinced that mouth-open hearing does happen (all inverse transducer analogies hold true). And it will also aid proprioception...

Who's with me on this theory? Well, don't all stand with your mouths open!!!!

Well, an otolaryngologist might well agree with you. Especially the most ENTerprising ones, that are in touch with what they see around them.

That's it. The look on their faces suggests they are smelling something really awful. Can be a bit embarrassing if you have people round.

My Caroline has been known to do this at the veterinary clinic. The vet told me it's an unconscious action cats perform which enables them to take in more scents, particularly in an unfamiliar environment. None of my other cats ever did this and I've never seen her do it at home.

I've often heard voices when I'm in bed, either waiting to fall asleep or having just woken up, definitely awake though, usually it's just someone calling my name, but once I heard a very stern deep male voice saying "Ten minutes!" I was being lazy and delaying getting up, I got up pretty quickly after that! It was like I was being given a ten minute warning by my dad!

Once when I was in bed one night when I was little, I heard a deep, man's voice clearly say "Your time will come!" I don't know who you were, disembodied voice, but it still hasn't.

Once when I was in bed one night when I was little, I heard a deep, man's voice clearly say "Your time will come!" I don't know who you were, disembodied voice, but it still hasn't.
Was it delivered in evil, sneering tone or was it more triumphant?

We were discussing earlier on FTMB certain psychneurological functions that may offer-up supranatural explanations for some such experiences.

However, since this cuts to the very centre of what we mean by consciousness, perception and being (including our own internal narratives) it is quite literally impossible to bring true objectivity to such discussions.

(The voices made me say that bit ;))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Bicameralism (the philosophy of "two-chamberedness") is a hypothesis in psychology that argues that the human mind once assumed a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind. The term was coined by Julian Jaynes, who presented the idea in his 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, wherein he made the case that a bicameral mentality was the normal and ubiquitous state of the human mind as recently as 3000 years ago. The hypothesis is generally not accepted by mainstream psychologists

The other week I had gone to the loo at about 2am and was dozing off again when a loud screech which sounded like the smoke alarm woke me up. There wasn’t a fire. I thought maybe the battery was going, but it’s usually a subtle beep. This sounded like someone was testing it but everyone else was still asleep. No one else heard it as it was during the hot weather and they had the air-con on. (Which also means I get to raise the alarm in this situation if there ever is a fire). It was rather odd.

The other week I had gone to the loo at about 2am and was dozing off again when a loud screech which sounded like the smoke alarm woke me up. There wasn’t a fire. I thought maybe the battery was going, but it’s usually a subtle beep. This sounded like someone was testing it but everyone else was still asleep. No one else heard it as it was during the hot weather and they had the air-con on. (Which also means I get to raise the alarm in this situation if there ever is a fire). It was rather odd.
Battery low indicator on the smoke alarm, perhaps.
Happened to me before.

Battery low indicator on the smoke alarm, perhaps.
Happened to me before.
Like I said that’s usually a subtle beep. It was a couple of weeks ago and it’s not done it again and we’ve tested and it’s still working so hasn’t died.

By observation, I believe that many animals, and quite a few humans, on hearing an unrecognised sound do open their mouths.

It's true. I read about it as a teenager in a book about Native Americans. If they're out tracking deer or whatever and they need to listen extra-hard they open their mouths.I tried it, it worked and I took it up with great success.

The only 'electronic' one was the sound of my phone ringing, it would wake me up, and again would stop as soon as I really became aware of it.

Early one Sunday morning my then-new iPhone woke me up with its alarm when I hadn't set it. Of course I sprang out of bed convinced I was on work. It was actually, I worked out, an identical alarm in a radio report about migrant fruit pickers living on site in caravans... I went back to sleep.

Back in the day I used to sometimes do nitrous oxide, also known as 'laughing gas'. One occasional side effect was hearing sounds as if they'd been through an electronic filter – if people were talking it would be in 'robot voice'. I always wondered if 18th century laughing gas enthusiasts would have experienced the same effect, and if so, how they would have interpreted the sound, given that they had nothing electronic to compare it to.

Occasionally when it's quiet in certain parts of our house I can "hear" data transfer noises. Think old modem data transfer squeals - the type you used to get if you picked up a telephone as the same time as when using a modem. None of the other family members can make them out. The sound is lower frequency and not as harsh as a modem but the data transfer is there.

Almost makes sense as wifi and mobiles are all around.

Couple of random points - WLW, a radio station in Cincinnati, Ohio - broadcast at 500,000 watts back in the late 1930s. The signal was so powerful that people actually heard music coming from the metal spouting on their houses. This would indicate that strong EM signals can be received in unexpected ways. And, just the way our eyes seek to find faces where none exist, I think our ears have a propensity to make voices and music out of random sounds. Given how we are receiving a 24/7 bath in EM signals, it's actually surprising we don't hear voices all the time.

One other thing to consider. My wife suffers from a condition called Meniere's disease which affects balance and hearing. She is bothered by constant noise in her ear (similar but worse than tinnitus). She describes it as oscillating and whooshing - nothing that would be confused with music but everyone experiences the condition in different ways. The problem is that none of the noise is real. It's actually occurring within the brain. This is not an extremely common condition but undiagnosed cases might explain some of these incidents.

When I was very small (around 3 or 4 I think) my mum had left me downstairs in the living room whilst she bathed my baby brother upstairs. I was sitting at the table colouring (I think), when I heard a man's voice just say my name once in quite a deep voice. I hurled upstairs and refused to be left downstairs alone again.

Now I wonder if it's something to do with a child's brain development and development of identity rather than an actual 'voice'. Perhaps my internal 'voice' being misunderstood as an external sound, rather like what I understand to happen in schizophrenia?

Back