• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2006

escargot1 said:
Ken just rambled on like an old bloke in a corner of the snug. I didn't travel a couple of hundred miles and stay overnight in the company of the current snoring event Olympic gold medal holder to hear that.

I had to go part way though too, finding waiting longer in a grotty bus stop for a megabus infinately more preferable to ken mumbling on about ann of green gables, how very famous he is and reading out of a book about arseholes. If it wasn't him that wrote the book under a nom-de-plume then it's very sad that one can get payed for a talk when half of it was stolen material but if he did write the arsehole book it's still a bit cheep to spend so long just promoting your book, especilly when it's not even a fortean book and people have travelled for miles to see the event.

I reckon we should ask our own Dr P Lee, who knows all about ghosthunting. And nevers screams. Much. :lol:

SoundDust said:
whoever you get can you make sure they don't do the sort of talk that Pau Devereux did at last years...
I know not every talks going to be to everyone's taste, but that was a complete waste of an hour :?
I thought it was the best one!

H_James said:
SoundDust said:
whoever you get can you make sure they don't do the sort of talk that Pau Devereux did at last years...
I know not every talks going to be to everyone's taste, but that was a complete waste of an hour :?
I thought it was the best one!

Yeah I enjoyed it too. I would have liked less axe grinding and more examples of damned anthropological data. I'd certianly be interested in a book (if it had plenty of the latter and only a smattering of the former - pos. kept to a few paragraphs in the introduction ;) ).

Flash, wasn't it Stan Gooch, not Graham Hancock that you had such an enervating debate with? Didn't Graham Hancock drop out that year?

I'd like to see Gail-Nina again- I've never met one of her talks that I didn't love. And I'll second the nomination for Gordon to another fungi-tastic talk.

Of course to make it a perfect Uncon you'd have Bill Bailey. Mostly because I love him, but also so that Emps (Or Mighty Emps as we should now call him. ;) ) can approach him about his new career as his stunt double.

Cider3 said:
Flash, wasn't it Stan Gooch, not Graham Hancock that you had such an enervating debate with? Didn't Graham Hancock drop out that year?

ah, I think you're right :oops:

I obviosly got confused as they've been singing from more or less the same hymn sheet as each other, which is very strange.

I wonder if they've met LLoyd Pye, who I would have questioned quite seachingly had I not felt sorry for the old lady benifactor he brought on.

Cider3 said:
Of course to make it a perfect Uncon you'd have Bill Bailey. Mostly because I love him, but also so that Emps (Or Mighty Emps as we should now call him. ;) ) can approach him about his new career as his stunt double.

Yeah - we should put it on some kind of official footing after all these years. ;)

Cider3 said:
I'd like to see Gail-Nina again- I've never met one of her talks that I didn't love.
I second that. Especially if the lighting is set up the same way as last year.

Anome_ said:
Cider3 said:
I'd like to see Gail-Nina again- I've never met one of her talks that I didn't love.
I second that. Especially if the lighting is set up the same way as last year.

And if we are sat on the upper seats? ;)

Just as long as I can set up the video camera...

Oh, I think I should point out that her talk was fascinating, and definitely a highlight of UnCon last year. And not because of the lighting, but because of the content. In fact talking about the "lighting" situation is being rather disrespectful to the good doctor, and I do apologise to her for it.

Still...

Yup, the good doctor could write a book about maintaining the undivided attention of at least half of the audience.

A short book. ;)

escargot1 said:
Yup, the good doctor could write a book about maintaining the undivided attention of at least half of the audience.

A short book. ;)
A picture book.

How about one of those baby books, you know, the soft sort, that the baby rubs all around its face and sucks on instead of looking at?

greets

another possible (no idea if he'd be up for it mind)

Nigel Bryant. head of drama at marlborough college. did a well-received book on grail legends. also done a book on local legends (wiltshire) and was on the TV prog on the da vinci code. also done radio drama as producer. and young person's fiction.

they had 2 talks by 1 person in the last year of the comonwelth centre so i was wondering weather this may be possible this year?

the reason i'm sugesting it is not only did Richard Freeman undertake the expedition to find the mongolian deathworm since the last uncon (and will be going again next year) but also has writain the first scientific study into dragon's in over 100 years.

both thease 2 things are among the biggest stories in forteania in the past year and it'd be a crying shame to leave either of them out.

Another idea might be trying to tempt ex-pat ufologist Nick Redfern over to talk about his theorys on Roswell, having read his book on the subject, listened to his talk the last cfz wierd weekend and looked up a few things in the book too he has me sold at the moment.

oll_lewis said:
they had 2 talks by 1 person in the last year of the comonwelth centre so i was wondering weather this may be possible this year?

the reason i'm sugesting it is not only did Richard Freeman undertake the expedition to find the mongolian deathworm since the last uncon (and will be going again next year) but also has writain the first scientific study into dragon's in over 100 years.

both thease 2 things are among the biggest stories in forteania in the past year and it'd be a crying shame to leave either of them out.

That said the chaps from the CFZ did an excellent overview of their work in various areas last time so we could go for osmething like that - get them on stage and give us a run down of the years research ad open the floor up. Then again there is no reasion Richard Freeman couldn't also give us a more structure talk about dragons too - will he threaten to get a dragon out and slap it on the table? If fire comes out fo the end of it I'd recommedn he see a doctor ;)

Details are in the current FT (FT206:54):

Date:

29th-30th April 2006

Friends House, 173, Euston Rd. London

Confirmed speakers:

• Gail-Nina Anderson - Fairies and Angels
    David Clarke - Flying Saucers From Hell
    Richard Freeman - Hunting the Death Worm
    Malcolm Gaskill - Witchfinders
    Ben Radford - The Ogopogo Lake Monster
    Andy Roberts - UFOs and the Hippy Movement
    Rat Scabies - Rennes-le-Chateau & the Grail
    Ian Simmons - Intelligent Design vs Evolution

Advance Ticket Prices:

1 day: £17.50
2 day: £25.00

Ordering:

Return the coupon in the mag and post/fax it back or phone 01789 490215. The accept credit and debit cards but not Visa Electron, Diners Club or Sirrus. Overseas orders should contact Dennis direct on the phone line given.

www.dennisdirect.co.uk

-----------------------
I'll update David's first post too with info as it becomes available.

I know uncon is useully a mixed bag and a large range of subjects have to be covered in order to make sure as many people as possible feal catered for and get enjoyment out of it. But, outside of america are many people interested in inteligent design vs evolution? Especilly in the UK where (speeking from experience) most christians and churchgoers see no conflict between their belifs and neo-darwinisam. I'd even go as far as to say it's not a fortean subject.

oll_lewis said:
I know uncon is useully a mixed bag and a large range of subjects have to be covered in order to make sure as many people as possible feal catered for and get enjoyment out of it. But, outside of america are many people interested in inteligent design vs evolution? Especilly in the UK where (speeking from experience) most christians and churchgoers see no conflict between their belifs and neo-darwinisam. I'd even go as far as to say it's not a fortean subject.

Sorry to disagree Oll but I'm interested in it.

Gordon

oll_lewis said:

We are also concerned about your spelling, and your a "writer," omg that is scary and fortean in itself.......

That's what God gave us spell-checkers for. ;)

oll_lewis said:
You'd be surprised, Oll. It's spreading. There are people trying to get it included here, and I'm sure there will be the same in the UK.

Besides, it's an interesting window on the scientific method, how the scientific community reacts to alternative theories (something Fort himself was interested in), and how belief can overcome evidence to the contrary.
tonyblair11 said:
We are also concerned about your spelling, and your a "writer," omg that is scary and fortean in itself.......
If you're going to post a spelling flame, you could at least get your own spelling correct.

Besides, spelling flames are so 1994.

So? This is an informal forum. There is no requirement for proofreading or spell-checking one's posts here. I expect Oll is more careful when he's writing formally. And possibly other people check and correct it for him.

Besides, did Oll say he wrote in English? I think his spelling is better in Welsh. (Then again, I wouldn't know. At least not until I read the copy of Teach Yourself Welsh I got out of the discount bin in Borders.)

If you're learning Welsh, you'll need this.

*leans over and coughs phlegmily on Anome*

Anome_ said:
So? This is an informal forum. There is no requirement for proofreading or spell-checking one's posts here. I expect Oll is more careful when he's writing formally. And possibly other people check and correct it for him.

Besides, did Oll say he wrote in English? I think his spelling is better in Welsh. (Then again, I wouldn't know. At least not until I read the copy of Teach Yourself Welsh I got out of the discount bin in Borders.)

they'ér discont binz atz brorders? Whenn ded thaet strart?

If all goes well, I might actually make it over there to my first uncon! Are there any initiation rites I need to be wary of?

We alls rite betrr for publktion, anywray...

This post was edited 9 times to get the spellings wrung

I'm REALLY, REALLY going to try and make it to Uncon this year.

(please excuse any spelling mistakes, but since my last bout of necrotizing fasciitis, only my head remains and I'm typing posts by stabbing at the keyboard with an aparagus spear that is clenched between my teeth).

What I'm getting at, is that it's unsafe to comment on another's spelling or grammar when one doesn't know their individual circumstances. Anyway, it's the content that counts.

I'd quite like to go too, as I've only been to one other ;)

My girlfriend may also be keen to go, as she's interested in Fortean subjects (she's interested in Wiccan stuff too, although is fully aware of my opinions regarding that ;) )

Back