• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

JamesWhitehead said:
Pictures of the Channel Tunnel . . . but this is the 1880 version, as photographed earlier this year by those crazy people on 28dayslater:

Channel Tunnel

:D

Top marks! Would be a bit of a tight fit for the Eurostar though :lol:

Scientists believe Brazil has huge underground river
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 61123.html
TOM HENNIGAN In São Paulo

Sat, Aug 27, 2011

SCIENTISTS IN Brazil believe they have discovered a giant subterranean river flowing several kilometres beneath the Amazon river.

A team of geophysicists at the country’s national observatory said an examination of 241 oil wells drilled across the Amazon region in the 1970s and 1980s indicated the presence of a river system up to 4km below the Earth’s surface. The scientists believe the river is up to 6,000km long and, like the Amazon, flows from west to east.

“Tests on water temperatures in the wells show that for the first 2,000m, water movement is vertical, going down. But then, between 2,000 and 4,000m, the movement is lateral,” says Valiya Hamza, the leader of the team that made the discovery and after whom the river has been named.

Though almost as long as the 6,110km Amazon, the underground river is up to four times as wide, stretching out to 400km in places.

Prof Hamza said the discovery means the Amazon basin has two drainage systems – the Amazon and Hamza rivers. Like the Amazon, the underground river is fed by waters from the Andes mountains to the west of Brazil.

It is formed by fresh water but because of its great depth its temperature is 30-35 degrees, significantly warmer than the tropically heated Amazon river.

With a flow rate of 130,000 cubic metres a second, the Amazon is by far the world’s biggest river and dwarfs the Hamza, which the team estimates has a flow of just 3,900 cubic metres a second. “But even then, it is pretty significant. If it was on the surface it would be bigger than the São Francisco river,” says Prof Hamza, referring to the biggest river wholly within Brazil’s borders.

It would also make the underground river bigger than Europe’s Rhine, Loire and Elbe rivers combined. If its length of 6,000km is confirmed, it would rank as the world’s fifth-longest river, just behind the Mississippi.

The team examined data from oil wells drilled in the western Amazonian state of Acre right the way across the Amazon basin to the island of Marajó at the mouth of the Amazon river itself. It plans to undertake a further two years of tests and analysis to confirm the Hamza’s existence.

Though the size of the new river was described as “fantastic” by the team, the likely existence of underground rivers is known to geophysicists. “Underground water movement is a phenomenon that occurs in diverse geological environments,” says Prof Hamza.

“For example, it appears that there is a subterranean river underneath Rome.”

ramonmercado said:
Oh no they don't!
Subterranean Amazon river 'is not a river'
By Richard Black, Environment correspondent, BBC News

A subterranean river said to be flowing beneath the Amazon region of Brazil is not a river in the conventional sense, even if its existence is confirmed.
The "river" has been widely reported, after a study on it was presented to a Brazilian science meeting last week.

But the researchers involved told BBC News that water was moving through porous rock at speeds measured in cm, or inches, per year - not flowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14693637
But it is underground! 8)

By coincidence just finished reading, Stephen Baxter's Flood, where the water locked into the Earth's crust in this way starts to break out and causes, well as the title implies a massive flood. One of the effects of this as the climate is disrupted is a hurricane trashing New York....

Just come back from visiting some friends in Tresillian in Cornwall who live about 300 yards from the river there. They said that when they have a flood the river never seems to overflow its banks, the land surrounding it just starts pooling and forming mini geysers until everything joins up :shock:
They said when this happens, you can't physically outrun it, you just have to let it happen and try and get out the way.
So it's not the water you can see, its the stuff underground you have to be wary of....

Timble2 said:
By coincidence just finished reading, Stephen Baxter's Flood, where the water locked into the Earth's crust in this way starts to break out and causes, well as the title implies a massive flood. One of the effects of this as the climate is disrupted is a hurricane trashing New York....

Excellent book; so is the sequel Ark.

cheeky381 said:
Just come back from visiting some friends in Tresillian in Cornwall who live about 300 yards from the river there. They said that when they have a flood the river never seems to overflow its banks, the land surrounding it just starts pooling and forming mini geysers until everything joins up :shock:
They said when this happens, you can't physically outrun it, you just have to let it happen and try and get out the way.
I've not heard that before. But it's worth pointing out that Tresillian lies at the tidal limit of the Tresillian River, a tidal creek that joins the Truro River and then the river Fal to form Falmouth Harbour.

So these underground flood waters could in part be driven up by the rising tide, especially if the land is already saturated after wet weather. (Salt water is denser than fresh.) And the OS map of the region does show a number of springs in the catchment area, so there is underground water already there.

It would be interesting to keep a log of these floods, and see how they compare with the tide times. (The highest spring tides occur around 7 o'clock GMT, a.m. and p.m.)

Going underground: Mile after mile of ornate brickwork and labyrinthine tunnels which reveal the beauty of London's hidden River Fleet
By Stephen Hull
Last updated at 10:25 PM on 16th September 2011

It is steeped in history with its banks rumoured to be where Queen Boudicca’s army fought battles against the Romans. Some believed it had healing powers and even today there are stories of wild pigs living on its hidden shores.

But mention the River Fleet to most Londoners and you’d probably get a blank expression.
Now this key feature of London’s hidden past has been brought to life in a series of stunning photographs which show how the historic waters still flow through the modern city.
Snaking under the streets of Camden, Holborn and King’s Cross, the River Fleet once openly flowed for four miles from Hampstead Ponds to the more famous Thames.

Long since covered and forgotten after generations of development the river was vital for Londoners as a place to do business.
In the time of the Romans the Fleet was a major river which mills, butchers, tanners, brewers and ordinary people would rely on for water supply.
Wells were built to extract waters which people believed had healing qualities, which gave rise to the name Clerkenwell.
It even gave its name to the street that would become the home of the British newspaper industry - Fleet Street.

But as the years passed and London developed into an industrial empire the clean waters soon disappeared, being replaced with a rancid, stinking flow.
Polluted with dead dogs as well as remains from daily life, butchery and sewage, the once glorious Fleet turned into a sorry state.

In 1598 John Stow, author of The Survey of London, wrote that the Fleet was 'impassable for boats, by reason of the many encroachments thereon made, by the throwing of offal and other garbage by butchers, saucemen and others, and by reason of the many houses of office standing upon it.
And in 1728 Alexander Pope famously wrote: ‘To where Fleet-ditch with disemboguing streams / Rolls the large tribute of dead dogs to Thames/The king of dykes! than whom no sluice of mud/with deeper sable blots the silver flood.’

The stench and state of the river made it increasingly unpopular.

After the the Great Fire of London in 1666 Sir Christopher Wren put forward plans to widen it so that it could act as future fire break and stop flames spreading.
But his dream was ignored and the river was converted into a canal. This, however proved even more unpopular and it remained largely unused.

Then it was gradually covered over and eventually became incorporated in the Victorian sewer system designed by Joseph Bazalgette.
First the lower section was cut off to be used solely for a sewage pipe and eventually this applied to the upper sections too.

Locals say you can hear the waters of the Fleet running through grating in Clerkenwell. On some days the waters can still be seen discharging into the Thames underneath Blackfriars Bridge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... River.html

Fascinating. But...

"The beautifully constructed tunnels are in some places up to 40 feet below ground level. Since it is a tidal river, some of the chambers can fill with water to the roof within half an hour"

...as grateful as I am that these people find these places and document them, I wonder if any have gone and not come back? Breaking into places will obviously have to be done in some secrecy and if nobody knows you went in there how do they know if you never come out?

I don't think any of these urbex types go in alone or without people knowing where they've gone although I may be mistaken.

Bodmin mine shaft collapses leaving 700ft deep hole

Part of a copper mine on Cornwall's Bodmin Moor has collapsed, leaving a 700ft (213m) deep mine shaft.
Bellingham shaft at Caradon Hill, which is part of Wheal Jenkin mine which closed in 1892, has been temporarily fenced off.
The 20ft (6m) wide shaft opened at the surface after heavy rain.

Julie Dowton, from the St Cleer and District Commoners' Association, said it could cost "several thousand pounds" to cap the hole.
Ms Dowton said: "The hole has actually got a little bit bigger than it was a couple of weeks ago.
"We are working with the landowner and the Commoners' Association and looking at the options available."

She added: "It is a difficult situation but we will do whatever we can to make it safe.
"We are going to need expert advice from mining engineers on how we move forward."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15024570

JamesWhitehead said:
http://society.guardian.co.uk/communities/story/0,,1839538,00.html

After 40 years' burrowing, Mole Man of Hackney is ordered to stop

Paul Lewis
Tuesday August 8, 2006

Dilapidated home of infamous 'mole man' who built network of tunnels underneath now selling for £500,000
By Amy Oliver
Last updated at 9:35 AM on 3rd October 2011

He became known as the 'Mole Man' after digging a labyrinth of tunnels underneath his London home.
Now, the late William Lyttle's house is up for sale. Despite not having a roof and being a structural death trap the home in London's Hackney carries a guide price of £500,000.
Mr Lyttle, a retired civil engineer who died aged 79 last year, spent 40 years tunnelling a 60 foot-long path of tunnels under his house.
These extraordinary pictures show how the house looks now and give a rare glimpse of what Mr Lyttle's subterranean labour of love looked like during his lifetime.

Hackney Council discovered his tunnelling activities in 2006. They also discovered skiploads of junk, including the wrecks of four Renault 4 cars, a boat, scrap metal, old baths, fridges and dozens of TV sets.
He was evicted when the house almost collapsed due to the network of passages underneath. He was then put up in a hotel for three years, at a cost to the taxpayer £45,000, before being re-housed in a nearby council-owned property.

Towards the end of his life, Mr Lyttle battled to keep his mole tunnels preserved, but after his death council workers filled in the tunnels with concrete for safety reasons.
They are now trying to claw back an unpaid bill of £350,000 from Mr Lyttle's estate. Police originally had trouble tracing Mr Lyttle's family, who are thought to be from Ireland.
Sgt Taff Williams said Mr Lyttle was 'not poor' and had been a 'wealthy man'.
'From documents and bank statements I've seen, let's just say his finances were a lot better than most people's,' he said.

After unsuccessfully fighting for the right to demolish the entire structure Mr Lyttle's surviving family now want to wash their hands of the property by selling it on the open market, through a local estate agent.
The council refused permission to demolish the building due to the street's status as a conservation area.
According to the house value website www.zoopla.co.uk a comparable refurbished four bedroom detached home in this fashionable part of London could be worth over £1million.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1Zj45jPN2

Covered in todays Yorkshire Evening Post:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...._rare_tour_below_city_station_video_1_3836851

Along with the Post Office Underground Railway, the underground section of Meanwood beck and the Bramhope rail tunnel, the 'hidden' galleries below the rail station formed a part of the myths, rumours and dares of my childhood in Leeds.

'Secret Leeds' mentioned in the article is also well worth a browse.

I work in a large and well-known flagship store on london's oxford street and was recently astonished to find out that out of apparently nowhere a third basement floor had appeared!
there were already two very deep retail floors below the ground and then one day the lift had a new button... -3.
The vast new stockroom area is boiling hot (and sometimes has to be closed to staff for health and safety reasons) and is apparently millimeters away from the tube (we're actually at oxford circus) judging by the noises and vibrations.

I love the way it suddenly appeared, to my mind anyway, and was casually mentioned when it opened. It makes me wonder what else is lurking beneath all those shops, all those people scurrying around underground doing their little jobs :)

Underground cave system links Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria

It has long been viewed as the holy grail of British potholing but now the legendary Three Counties System of caves has finally been linked. Last Sunday, 300ft below the surface, 83 years of exploration came to an end as it became possible to enter into Cumbria, travel below Lancashire and emerge in Yorkshire. Due to the brave work of individuals such as Geoff Yeadon, Tim Allen and Mick Nunwick, the separate cave systems of Boxhead Pot and Notts Pot now make up a continuous 70 mile route under the heartland of Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthp ... mbria.html

(14 photographs.)

birdy said:
I work in a large and well-known flagship store on london's oxford street and was recently astonished to find out that out of apparently nowhere a third basement floor had appeared!
there were already two very deep retail floors below the ground and then one day the lift had a new button... -3.
The vast new stockroom area is boiling hot (and sometimes has to be closed to staff for health and safety reasons) and is apparently millimeters away from the tube (we're actually at oxford circus) judging by the noises and vibrations.

I love the way it suddenly appeared, to my mind anyway, and was casually mentioned when it opened. It makes me wonder what else is lurking beneath all those shops, all those people scurrying around underground doing their little jobs :)

An extra basement floor suddenly appearing is very strange indeed, I agree with you.

I believe something similar is true of the massive old Refuge Insurance building in Manchester. It is now the Palace Hotel among other things.

There is supposed to be a massive old ballroom of the sprung-floor variety at a level which is not generally available. Why an Insurance company needed a ballroom is mysterious but it certainly predates the hotel-conversion in 1987.

I've had cocktails in what was once the Turkish Bath but I don't claim to know the building well. Watching from across the road, I know it is a venue for some very well-heeled Freemasons! :shock:

Having worked in a "famous" West End department store on the corner of Regent/Oxford street, I can attest to it's basement being within "rumble sound" distance of the tube. You certainly don't need to go as deep as -3!

Birdy, I too know this floor as I still have to go into that well known store regularly and worked there for many years until 5 years ago. I was taken down to that floor by one of the maintenance team. there's a huge boiler (which apparently blew up years ago killing two men down there; obviously lots of haunting rumours from that :roll: ). The presence of this boiler made it sweltering, but what really freaked me out was an open trap in the floor which apparently led to an underground river, though I suspect it was less "river" and more "sewer" judging by the smell! I remember hearing it was flowing very fast anyway. the Central line between Bond Street and Marble arch is just meters away from there so yes, you'll here the trains too.
I miss the sub-sub basement, it was a weird (but hot and smelly) oasis of calm from the melee of the Christmas Shoppers upstairs.
Apparently too there's a disused underground train line running to either Buckingham Palace or Mount Pleasant sorting office (I can't remember which) that can be accessed from that level.
On another note, whilst working overnight on an installation in that store last month I discovered a 7th floor where customers can only access 4 (and staff 5 I think). What fascinated me about this was that I've been working with them for 12 years now and this was the first time I'd discovered it
Now that's a seriously creepy place at 2am!!!

:shock: :shock:

cheeky381 said:
Birdy, I too know this floor as I still have to go into that well known store regularly and worked there for many years until 5 years ago.

cheeky381 said:
On another note, whilst working overnight on an installation in that store last month ...

cheeky381 said:
What fascinated me about this was that I've been working with them for 12 years now...

I'm sorry Cheeky, I'm confused.
Do you still work there full-time, or do you just go in as a freelancer?

It sounds fascinating anyway. It seems that lots of big stores like this have some kind of hidden secrets in their basements.

Would the underground river be the River Fleet? I saw something about it on TV recently.

So you did!
I thought I'd heard about it already, when the TV prog mentioned it!

BBC Radio4 Today programme this morning had interesting item on London Underground abandoned stations, tunnels and links with WWII facilities. Great sound fx during the report! AND plans to open the tunnels to the public (and therefore moneterise them!)

The programme should appear on the iPlayer later today, the item ran at around 8.20am - 2hr 20min into the broadcast.

Hi Myth!

I'm sorry Cheeky, I'm confused.
Do you still work there full-time, or do you just go in as a freelancer?

I used to work on the shop floor, for a concession, but was promoted to that concession's head office just around the corner a few years back. I sometimes have to go in late nights if we need to re-merchandise/fit-out etc with the team there.
Jack of all trades, me!

And yes, I suspect it may be The Fleet, as smelly as it is now!

Thanks for the explanation, Cheeky! :)

Back