• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Not from the area you are loking at but theres a nuclear bunker under the Town Hall in Grimsby , N.E Lincolnshire so I've been told.

There's a secret bunker near Anstruther in Fife - it's very easy to find as there are road signs pointing to it ;)

It's a museum now

An earlier incarnation of the main FT site included a link to a great site documenting many of the former UK mostly Cold War underground installations. I can't find the link anymore or remember the name of the site. Perhaps someone else here can remember.

Meanwhile - lots of people are interested in these establishments. Here are 4 links from my own favorites which broadly relate to this subject. I'm sure that a search at Google will turn up many more.

Underground Archaeology

Bunkertours

Fortress UK

Cold War relics

[EDIT]

This one too:

UK Cold War Defences

Manchester tunnel complex to let

I think the below-mentioned tunnels were the subject of another thread discussion. It appears that BT are refurbisihing them to lease out as offices! Sounds like a suitably spooky location for a Fortean-oriented organisation - can't say that working 120ft underground appeals as a working environment though!

news story

Thanks for posting that, I nearly missed it.

If we all chipped in a quid or two we could have a Forteans North
Assembly under the streets. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

No mention of the massive hospital complex said to be at a deep
level under Ardwick (?).

There is an account somewhere online which includes the recollections
of one of the Polish workers mentioned in the article. It was a
pretty grim life and they were kept in camps as virtual prisoners,
well away from contact with local people. :eek:

Surely it would be ideal for a criminal mastermind with intentions on taking over the world to rent this space. Blofeld anyone. Where is 007 when you need him.

underground tunnels

i have long had a fascination for underground places and ,whilst working at Whitehall, was informed that there were at least 5 levels going down.one day i got lost and entered a lift i had not previously used. it had extra buttons which made me curious but sadly i didn't have the time to go exploring as my colleagues were waiting for me. i still kick myself for not looking around .

Theres a nuclear bunker type thing underneath Cusworth Hall, Doncaster. I went there with school when I was younger but I don't know how far it extends. There are supposed to be some tunnels in the Sheffield area too.

Ps. Does anyone know anything about an abandoned underground line (possibly london area) that was used to test an experimental/non-standard underground train, that was closed after this train malfunctioned/crashed. I remember reading about it and that there was supposed to be a park it went under where people claimed to have heard the sound of the train.:confused:

National fuel grid

I don't know whether there is a grid linking all the airfields but my dad used to deliever plane fuel to RAF bases in a good old fashioned tanker truck.

I can assure you there is. I had some professional involvement a few years ago ;)

One of Churchills secret WW2 bunkers was discovered/de-classified just a few weeks ago if I remember correctly. I believe its in West London somewhere, Uxbridge maybe.

The entrance is in a residential street and I'm assuming the neighbours knew nothing about it. Apparently Churchill went there once but didn't like it because it was too damp.

jima said:
Ps. Does anyone know anything about an abandoned underground line (possibly london area) that was used to test an experimental/non-standard underground train, that was closed after this train malfunctioned/crashed. I remember reading about it and that there was supposed to be a park it went under where people claimed to have heard the sound of the train.:confused:

Are you thinking of the pneumatic railway built at Crystal Palace http://membres.lycos.fr/fdelaitre/Crystal.htm

Hi ho, Hi ho etc

Is this where the seven dwarves from Snow White came from?

St Mary's Church on the green in Norton (Teesside) is a norman church which has tunnels running under the road to a house on the other side called "The Hermitage".
The house is now privately owned so i don't know if there is still access but it's a well known local story.

There are also supposed to be four wooden mice carved into the lychgate. Three are obvious to see but apparently if you find the fourth it brings bad luck.

There are supposed to be extensive cave and tunnel works under the centre of Congleton in Cheshire which meet under the town hall.
I know people who claim to to have explored them but haven't been in there myself.

They'd not go down alone, "The Trolls fear numbers, but are wolves on the track of a lonely man", was written after one was found dead in a narrow passage with strange marks on his neck.

Do you have a source for this? I ask not to be snippy (for once), but because I'm interested in stuff to do with Wharfedale, particularly underground phenomena. Also trolls etc, 'cause of Trollers Ghyll.

The 'underground passage' legend seems almost universal in the UK, and I'm sure there was a previous thread on it, I can't get links from the search facility to open in order to check.

In Grimsby there were legends about a tunnel connecting the sites of the Abbey and the nunnery. (Both long vanished) You can probably guess what its alleged purpose was.

In the Peak District, there's rumoured to be a tunnel from Priestcliffe Hall used during the civil war.

the vilage that my parents come from was once the sight of a chapel and convelt (I think c14-15oo's) and there is a legend of tunnels leading for miles around.

Though there is no evidence I know of to suport this there have been several black monk type sightings in and around the aria the monestry once sat on and there are numerous feiry rings. Not that they are atall scary but the combination of folklaweric sightings ect meens that even in out enlightend days noone will go up there anywhere near dusk.

Well noone exept kids playing around with black magic (there was once a sermon in the local chapel emploring people not to mess with demonoligy - amen to that.)

Though there is no evidence I know of to suport this there have been several black monk type sightings in and around the aria the monestry once sat on

Hmmm.....The Black Monk was a folkdemon attached to the Abbey site in Grimsby I mentioned before.

Likewise the White Lady who haunts Beauchief Abbey (lovely, rather symbolic name, meaning 'Beautiful Head', pronounced by us ignorant Northerners as Beechiff), said to guard one end of the frankly impractically long tunnel leading to the ancient church at Norton.

Here, the other end of the tunnel is guarded by an opposing male principal, a knight. Exactly half way down the tunnel, there is said to be a golder rooster which crows at midsummer. Now, is it me, or does this all sound like it has another set of meanings somewhere?

why can't things be simple in folklore? Everything had symbolic meaning atached! Still I supose that's what makes it interesting.

So that's 3 tunnle systems that have other phenomina atached (not even counting old mines.) Does anyone have a fourth to add to the list.

I smell a theory brewing somewhere...

I smell a theory brewing somewhere...

In the dear dead days when leys were taken seriously, it was proposed that legends of underground tunnels, especially those which had surrounding phenomena, were folk memories of the path of ley lines.

As for more tunnel systems with legends attached - what about the myriad of contemporary folklore claiming that various sites are underground UFO bases and the like? Can't be arsed to look them up, but there are shedloads out there, usually attached to military installations, which of course, often have underground shelters etc.

Again, no references, but there's a group of legends which involve a musician walking along an underground passage while people above follow the sound, only for it to stop suddenly..........

Ley lines, black monks, UFOs. This is hoting up to be quite a thread!

May I throw feiries into the mix.

As I mensioned earlier the tunnle system that reputidly exists up my parent's way is also prone to black monk and feiry rings. Is there a link between all these phenomina?

I mean is there evidance of similer colications in other parts of Britain?

I can see a certain german man being namedroped before long...

In my home town of Hebburn there used to be a tunnel leading from the local manor house to the monastery in Jarrow. Dating from the late 16th century it was allegedly used for the illegal immigration of Catholic priests from the continent during a period of history when papists were persecuted. The priests would arrive on the Tyne and make their way to the manor house along a well-trodden path. A 20th century investigation of the tunnel by local historians found it to be caved in a short distance from the manor house, which is now part of our local parkland, so nothing could be proved.
Last year I read a book called "The Lost World of Agharti". It dated from the 1970's and explored the legends of underground tunnel systems across the world. Can't remember the author's name but it was a library book so I could find out if anyone was interested. The author was from Yorkshire and he reckoned that there are more underground tunnel systems there than in any other part of the British Isles.
He also mentioned a novel by Edward Bulwer-Lytton which was about a race of people dwelling in an underground system who used a special power called Vril. It was only a novel but allegedly someone persuaded Adolf Hitler that it was based on the truth and he sent his minions in search of the fictitious place. Apparently these underground people could kill just by pointing their fingers.

Peewee said:
The metal Nickle is actually named after one of the gnomes you talk about.
His name was Nicoli and he used to put this metal in the mines to trick the miners into thinking they had found silver.
This is similar to goblins, who's name is derived from the german kobolds, and the kobolds used to live down mines, and they were like knockers... and the mineral cobalt comes from their name.

wintermute said:
Do you have a source for this? I ask not to be snippy (for once), but because I'm interested in stuff to do with Wharfedale, particularly underground phenomena. Also trolls etc, 'cause of Trollers Ghyll.

I do, it's in 'The Striding Dales' by Halliwell Sutcliffe. I haven't got it to hand, so no more details, sorry!

However, I recall mention of an attack by the barguest in Trollers Gill, as late as 1881. A villager from Appletreewick went in search of said beast. The next morning his mutilated body was found by shepherds...

...trolls and spectral dogs are rife in these parts! :D

I was wondering if anybody else who has spoken about legends of underground tunnels and the like has experienced the same kind of strange apathy in the local community in regards to exploring these things as I have. In my hometown in Devon there are stories of a system of underground tunnels connecting an ancient priory, an old religious establishment (now a private home) on the outskirts of the town and the mound in the town centre which is generally accepted as an old Norman fort (although some people believe it was created from the earth that was dug out to make the tunnels). What I find strange is that nobody seems to be interested in looking into these stories, despite the fact that there is reasonable evidence to say there might be something there. Records show that a 'souterrain' (underground passage) was discovered when the priory was excavated in the 1800's but nobody had the inclination to look into it further. There is a door into the mound quite plain to see, and a chamber inside, but the brief explorations made by myself as a child, and probably generations before me, were cut short by the body of a murder victim being dumped there. Kinda put us off....... Also, many older residents remember times when ventilators could clearly be seen in the sides of the mound, and also in the garden of an old cottage of the town which has since been pulled down. The most frustrating thing is that a friend of mine lives in an old house opposite the religious establishment and says there are doors in her cellar leading out to what would be solid earth if there were no tunnel there, but they've never looked into it because it would 'probably be all blocked up'. Huh???? I for one couldn't live with that mystery! Anyway do apoligise, I've rambled, it's my first post you see, and now I look at it I realise it isn't really about anything fortean......oh well.

Back