• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underwater Ghosts

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Just watching Curious World on YouTube, talking about Chew Valley lake and an apparent ghost of a girl from a farm which vanished when the valley was flooded. And it got me thinking.

If ghosts are either memories imprinted on the surroundings (the Stone Tape theory) or some kind of timeslip by which viewers see a character performing tasks or actions that they performed in life - are there any stories of ghosts being seen underwater? In locations where houses or roads have been flooded, are they still going about their ghostly business, to be glimpsed by fishermen or swimmers beneath the surface?

Just watching Curious World on YouTube, talking about Chew Valley lake and an apparent ghost of a girl from a farm which vanished when the valley was flooded. And it got me thinking.

If ghosts are either memories imprinted on the surroundings (the Stone Tape theory) or some kind of timeslip by which viewers see a character performing tasks or actions that they performed in life - are there any stories of ghosts being seen underwater? In locations where houses or roads have been flooded, are they still going about their ghostly business, to be glimpsed by fishermen or swimmers beneath the surface?
I've been fishing on reservoirs here in the UK and the truth is you can't see much below the surface, even when the water is so clean that freshwater mussels thrive. I have heard about the bells of submerged churches being heard but these are usually undated folklore. But yes, there could be ghosts walking around their old houses below the surface but we wouldn't see them.

An edition of t'FT from the 2000s or earlier had an account of someone doing underwater exploration who met up with a, dunno, goddess or summat deep under the sea. Some kind of female spirit anyway.

There are quite a few water spirits but are they ghosts?

The Okeanides: Niaides for freshwater and Nereides for salt water in Greek myth. Are they still reported?

Then there is the Lady of the Lake in Arthurian Myth ("Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.": Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

But the ghost of a person from a flooded land or who died by drowning? There is that picture showing, supposedly, the faces of two seamen who had drowned a few days before in the waves. There is a thread on ghosts in mines and underground who presumably are spooking in total darkness so why not underwater, clear or not?

Interesting question @catseye.

“RAPTURE OF THE DEEP As well as being my birthday, 23 August had a special significance for me in 1971. I was serving with the Royal Air Force in Malta and most of my spare time was devoted to the excellent diving club, run strictly to British subaqua rules.

I was one of four instructors in the club of about 140 members and my immediate boss was an experienced diving officer called John, known affectionately as ‘the old man of the sea’. An expedition was planned for a six-week period to explore the coast around Gozo, a small island off the coast. One of the sites chosen was a small inlet in Xlendi Bay, searching for Punic and Roman wrecks.

The initial dive on the site by myself and another instructor called Bob revealed that we would be diving at depths often in excess of 130ft (40m). As there was no decompression chamber on Gozo, strict diving procedures would have to be followed. We were testing out an Italian decompression meter which John thought was unreliable.

The descent to 130ft was uneventful and all was going to plan when Bob’s demand valve started acting up, restricting his intake “of air. Against all the rules, he indicated to me to stay down while he surfaced and sent down the standby diver to keep me company. I swam around for a while looking for anything of interest on the rocky ocean floor. I saw a light ahead of me and was drawn to it both by curiosity and by what seemed to be an unknown force.

Over the next ridge and much further down, I saw a very beautiful young woman, tall and slim, with a lovely figure, standing at the entrance to a large cave. She was dressed in what looked like a white Indian sari; she wore sandals, her hair was plaited, and her wrists were adorned with various bracelets. The incandescence of the surrounding “area added to the serenity and calm of the sight before me.

I thought that I must be suffering from ‘the narcs’, nitrogen narcosis, described in the early days of diving as ‘the rapture of the deep’, a feeling of euphoria, closely resembling drunkenness. As a very experienced instructor with more than 200 deep dives under my belt I realised that I was in deep trouble, deep being the operative word.

A look at my depth gauge revealed that I was 230ft (70m) down. The Italian decompression meter strapped to my wrist had long since given up as it was full of water. Fascination at what I saw overruled my training and my immediate need for an ascent and decompression procedures.

Then she spoke. “Hello, I have been waiting for you. o not be afraid, I mean you no harm, with me you are safe”. I backed away, but she smiled, walked towards me and held out her hand. It felt warm, sensual and safe, and my fear disappeared.

“When you return to me I will be waiting for you, then you will stay with me forever. I have a gift for you”. She handed me a small jar about 5in (13cm) tall, shaped like an amphora, which I took from her with my other hand. “Now you must go. You will always be safe for your return to me,” she said. As I ascended, I saw her waving as she slowly faded from view into the azure depth. After a very long decompression stop aided by a spare set of air cylinders it was explanation time: the needle on the depth gauge registered 235ft (72m).

“Faulty gauge,” said John, “because if it isn’t you are in a lot of trouble; with that sort of depth on the clock you had better stay within camp area and keep someone with you in case of any bends problem.

About one week later I was summoned by John, who told me that the depth gauge had been tested and was completely accurate and serviceable, making my dive the longest and deepest in club history. Why I did not get the bends was a mystery to him. He also told me that Mr Mallia, the curator of the archaeological section of the Malta national museum, had identified the jar I had retrieved as a Phoenician scent jar of about 2000BC, used by the royal ladies of that time. The mystery was that its contents still smelled fresh, the potter’s stamp on the side of the handle was crystal clear and the jar was described in the report as being in mint condition. John was curious where I had got it. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” I said.

In September 1995, I revisited Xlendi Bay and swam out to the entrance of the bay for old time’s sake. The next day, on my return to England, I suffered a severe heart attack. I was very fortunate to survive. Ian Skinner, Hull, Humberside, 1996”

Excerpt From

Fortean Times: It Happened to Me! Volume 1

Fortean Times

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-volume-1/id441512544

“RAPTURE OF THE DEEP As well as being my birthday, 23 August had a special significance for me in 1971. I was serving with the Royal Air Force in Malta and most of my spare time was devoted to the excellent diving club, run strictly to British subaqua rules.

I was one of four instructors in the club of about 140 members and my immediate boss was an experienced diving officer called John, known affectionately as ‘the old man of the sea’. An expedition was planned for a six-week period to explore the coast around Gozo, a small island off the coast. One of the sites chosen was a small inlet in Xlendi Bay, searching for Punic and Roman wrecks.

The initial dive on the site by myself and another instructor called Bob revealed that we would be diving at depths often in excess of 130ft (40m). As there was no decompression chamber on Gozo, strict diving procedures would have to be followed. We were testing out an Italian decompression meter which John thought was unreliable.

The descent to 130ft was uneventful and all was going to plan when Bob’s demand valve started acting up, restricting his intake “of air. Against all the rules, he indicated to me to stay down while he surfaced and sent down the standby diver to keep me company. I swam around for a while looking for anything of interest on the rocky ocean floor. I saw a light ahead of me and was drawn to it both by curiosity and by what seemed to be an unknown force.

Over the next ridge and much further down, I saw a very beautiful young woman, tall and slim, with a lovely figure, standing at the entrance to a large cave. She was dressed in what looked like a white Indian sari; she wore sandals, her hair was plaited, and her wrists were adorned with various bracelets. The incandescence of the surrounding “area added to the serenity and calm of the sight before me.

I thought that I must be suffering from ‘the narcs’, nitrogen narcosis, described in the early days of diving as ‘the rapture of the deep’, a feeling of euphoria, closely resembling drunkenness. As a very experienced instructor with more than 200 deep dives under my belt I realised that I was in deep trouble, deep being the operative word.

A look at my depth gauge revealed that I was 230ft (70m) down. The Italian decompression meter strapped to my wrist had long since given up as it was full of water. Fascination at what I saw overruled my training and my immediate need for an ascent and decompression procedures.

Then she spoke. “Hello, I have been waiting for you. o not be afraid, I mean you no harm, with me you are safe”. I backed away, but she smiled, walked towards me and held out her hand. It felt warm, sensual and safe, and my fear disappeared.

“When you return to me I will be waiting for you, then you will stay with me forever. I have a gift for you”. She handed me a small jar about 5in (13cm) tall, shaped like an amphora, which I took from her with my other hand. “Now you must go. You will always be safe for your return to me,” she said. As I ascended, I saw her waving as she slowly faded from view into the azure depth. After a very long decompression stop aided by a spare set of air cylinders it was explanation time: the needle on the depth gauge registered 235ft (72m).

“Faulty gauge,” said John, “because if it isn’t you are in a lot of trouble; with that sort of depth on the clock you had better stay within camp area and keep someone with you in case of any bends problem.

About one week later I was summoned by John, who told me that the depth gauge had been tested and was completely accurate and serviceable, making my dive the longest and deepest in club history. Why I did not get the bends was a mystery to him. He also told me that Mr Mallia, the curator of the archaeological section of the Malta national museum, had identified the jar I had retrieved as a Phoenician scent jar of about 2000BC, used by the royal ladies of that time. The mystery was that its contents still smelled fresh, the potter’s stamp on the side of the handle was crystal clear and the jar was described in the report as being in mint condition. John was curious where I had got it. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” I said.

In September 1995, I revisited Xlendi Bay and swam out to the entrance of the bay for old time’s sake. The next day, on my return to England, I suffered a severe heart attack. I was very fortunate to survive. Ian Skinner, Hull, Humberside, 1996”

Excerpt From

Fortean Times: It Happened to Me! Volume 1

Fortean Times

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/fortean-times-it-happened-to-me-volume-1/id441512544
That's the one! :bthumbup:
Still a fantastic read.

Did a quick Google and found the same account in the Daily Star in 2020, with mention of the t'Mag, no less!

The beautiful and dignified young woman Skinner claimed to have seen is described - not by him - as a ‘sultry’ 'mermaid' or 'siren' though.
Well, the Daily Star is a tabloid. Its readers might lose interest without a mention of sex. :rolleyes:

Military man swears ‘sultry’ mermaid protected him during supernatural diving trip

During a deep sea diving trip, he claims to have seen a “sultry” siren in front of him.
The Royal Air Force man says the mermaid took his hand and protected him as he ventured further into the deep than ever before.

'the mermaid took his hand and protected him as he ventured further into the deep than ever before'

Was reading a wonderful piece about sea creatures' intelligence a few months ago - a diver recalled a dolphin offering its flipper to him; he took it, and the dolphin then proceeded to show him its 'den'.

I have no tales to tell, but I just wanted to say I ruddy love this post! What a great notion :)

That's a really interesting question. There are, of course, plenty of ghost stories associated with water - but these always appear to be based on the littoral zone, rather than within the water itself.

The only thing I can think of that comes close are the supposed ghost bells from churches drowned beneath reservoirs, but I'm not even sure staunch believers believe those particular stories. Also, the famous photograph of the faces of two drowned sailors from the SS Watertown. Totally unconvincing, but I have a vague memory that they may be an echo of actual sea-lore relating to the spirits of the drowned sometimes being visible under the surface of the sea.

'the mermaid took his hand and protected him as he ventured further into the deep than ever before'

Was reading a wonderful piece about sea creatures' intelligence a few months ago - a diver recalled a dolphin offering its flipper to him; he took it, and the dolphin then proceeded to show him its 'den'.
Dolphins also like to show fellow dolphins, and sometimes humans, other things. :wink2:

Here's a Herald (Scottish newspaper) page about one Alan Cooper who was prosecuted for indecency with a dolphin.
The Guardian covered this case in detail at the time. Seems ridiculous now but there was a full-scale trial.
We may have mentioned it elsewhere.

Court clears swimmer of indecency with dolphin
He had pleaded not guilty to a charge of outraging public decency by masturbating Freddie's penis while swimming with him in the harbour 15 months ago, watched by people in a boat who complained to police.

Mr Cooper denied the charge, claiming it was normal for the dolphin's penis to be exposed while people swam with him and that he came into contact with it accidentally.

Dolphins also like to show fellow dolphins, and sometimes humans, other things. :wink2:

Here's a Herald (Scottish newspaper) page about one Alan Cooper who was prosecuted for indecency with a dolphin.
The Guardian covered this case in detail at the time. Seems ridiculous now but there was a full-scale trial.
We may have mentioned it elsewhere.

Court clears swimmer of indecency with dolphin
He didn’t do it on porpoise.

“When you return to me I will be waiting for you, then you will stay with me forever...
What d'you reckon this means? I took it as a big promise about the Afterlife.

If he was a bit delirious and imagined it all, it might express his joy at being able to go scuba-diving.
Like my dear Irish Airman in Yeats' poem who loves flying so much he doesn't mind how dangerous it is.

What d'you reckon this means? I took it as a big promise about the Afterlife.

If he was a bit delirious and imagined it all, it might express his joy at being able to go scuba-diving.
Like my dear Irish Airman in Yeats' poem who loves flying so much he doesn't mind how dangerous it is.

lonely impulse of delight

So much of that account - from the diver being drawn towards a light to the kindly figure essentially telling him to go back - is reminiscent of many Near-Death Experiences.
I wonder if a spot of narcs can do that? :thought:
Though he does say he didn't have any sign of the bends or whatever.

Anyway, sounds like he nearly popped back for good in 1995 with his heart attack.

In the past, the bodies of people drowned along the north Wales coast near Caernarfon would be washed up near Llanfaglan Church where the parishioners would respectfully bury them.

Legend has it that around Midsummer, the ghosts of those lost at sea would be seen walking between the church and the sea.

When I first read about this many years ago I took my children on holiday in the area so we could visit Llanfaglan Church.
We didn't meet any ghosts but did see the gravestone with the memento mori skull and crossbones and hear some interesting stories from a couple of local visitors.

It's a beautiful spot and well worth an excursion. :nods:

OK, you don't see the ghosts under the sea but hey, this is Wales.

Edit - here's a video that shows the grave of the photographer Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Lord Snowdon.

Ooh, found another.

Last edited:
I wonder if a spot of narcs can do that? :thought:
Though he does say he didn't have any sign of the bends or whatever.

Anyway, sounds like he nearly popped back for good in 1995 with his heart attack.
I found myself wondering if it was something like this. I wonder if his oxygen was running low because it does sound a bit like oxygen starvation or the side effect of a build up of gasses.

I've been fishing on reservoirs here in the UK and the truth is you can't see much below the surface, even when the water is so clean that freshwater mussels thrive. I have heard about the bells of submerged churches being heard but these are usually undated folklore. But yes, there could be ghosts walking around their old houses below the surface but we wouldn't see them.
one bell example is suspected to have been the actual bell ringing for real, but one of the reservoir lakes in the US has such rumors.

Back