• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underworld (Movie)

Ah, but the werewolves have pointy sticks and a side order of garlic bread ;).

Looks good (but then the trailers for Police Academy 6 made it look worth watching ;)).

Not even remotely on thread

Emperor Zombie said:
so bitter after all this time. let it go man...it's not worth it;)

What I don't understand is how you got as far as six with the hope that the next one would be better than the last.
It was more the disbelief that they could actually get any worse :err: (stop press: they've recently brought out yet another one where they're peacekeepers in Baghdad :eek!!!!: - you think I jest? Check this..I find the viewers comments at the end of the page both oddly touching and somewhat worrying :confused: ).

Emperor Zombie said:
...personally I wonder what the movie would be like the other way around, with her playing the werebitch and him playing the vamp?...
Not a movie admittedly, but 2000AD recently had a story based on this premise. I believe it was called 'A love like blood'

I saw the ad for this at the cinema and they never made it clear what it was about at all!
Looks quite stylish though. Always fancied myself as a vampire. Hehe.

Unfortunately, the trailer was a bit dark and small to actually see much. Sounds quite interesting though. Worth a watch. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a mentally taxing film to watch:D

But seriously - vampires and werewolves? Okay, vampires are immortal, but there's a lot of things that can kill them, or at least slow them down, although admittedly, they're quite easy to reanimate as well. Werewolves, though, are mortal, but only a silver implement would work. Hmm. Difficult call.

Mind you, makes a change that it'd be the guy having a time of the month...:p

And traditionally, vampires tended to be pitied (while lopping their heads off, shoving a lemon in their gob, scattering peppercorns at their feet, taking off a sock, stake through the heart, pouring vinegar down their throat (past the lemon), shoving crucifixes everywhere, and a couple of other precautions I've forgotten) because they couldn't help being vampirers. Whereas werewolves became werewolves by choice, and so were far more evil. Whereas (Buffy's the best example) Hollywood has it the other way around.

Still, little chance of hearing the line 'But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and [insert vamp's name here] is the sun.'

Darkness Falls for the White Wolf

Just recieved an emu from someone who thinks I cares. :hmph: Seems that White Wolf's World of Darkness line of RPG's is coming to an end next year.

Gehenna, the end of the world, is upon them. Vampires and Werewolves will really be getting it on as zombies and other nasties battle over the remnants.

Details here and here.

I say about time. The bad news is that the Dark Ages line will continue and theres rumour of a new World of Darkness.
Yeah whatever. Wheres my +20 Stake of Vampire Slaying and my +7 Slivered Crossbow of Werewolf's Bane? ;) :D

The name they all fear

Due to the dearth of original ideas in Hollywood it seems they're going for the combo approach for the forseeable future (Freddy vs. Jason, Alien vs. Predator, Batman vs. Superman .etc.etc.)
So along with Vampires vs. Werewolves, next summer we'll have werewolves, vampires and Frankenstein's monster vs Van Helsing....!

http://www.vanhelsing.net/

Vampires make great adversaries, even dark 'n' dangerous love interest. But, I couldn't really care enough to sympathise with the leech-like little toe-rags. Give them some sort of backstory and a 'lifestyle' and the creepy horror and mystery of it all is in danger of being seriously lost. 'So who washes their leather underwear?'

It can be done, there's a reason why Buffy's played for laughs on occasion. Too heavy on the pedal and 'POUF!' suspension of disbelief is blown to to buggery.

Give yer' average vampire a cut glass English accent and stand by for low key hilarity. Unless, of course, the accent is being done by a bleach blonde Californian, or Christopher Lee! :p

Hopefully all this 'Bad v. V.Bad' is just an end of the line thing like Universal's Dracula v. Frankenstein and Frankenstein v. The Werewolf and House of Frankenstein, that had them all, rather than some reflection of Western Society's descent into parasitic evil in a Gothic-stylee.
:confused:

Yes it's all very pretty but I do wonder if there's any substance to go with all that style.

Cujo

Apart from Landis' foray into it (it was "Innocent Blood" BTW), I must admit my fave "modern" vampire movie is "The Hunger" - OK, it's a very flashy rock-video style film but the central story is actually very poignant: it does elicit some sympathy for them as it doesn't moralise or cast them as "evil" per se.

As for "Interview with the Vampire", to me that's more a Gothic novel that happens to be partially set today - otherwise it largely conforms to the usual pattern. Looks lovely, though.

As for werewolves, again for me you have to go a long way to better "An American Werewolf in London": the Howling was more pastiche than anything, albeit a very affectionate one. Haven't seen Dog Soldiers yet though - anyone recommend it? (actually, I think there's a thread about it...)

[edit]and how about Coppola's Dracula? I know it was lambasted by many, but I liked it :)[/edit]

Emperor Zombie said:
the big thing next year is zombies.

and horror action movies in general as a result. Van Helsing, Hellboy, Day of the Dead, Undead and so on and so forth.

It's the year of the horror monster movie ... again.

Wizard! I hope they do some decent ones soon. I think Dog Soldiers and Frailty were the last decent horrors that I saw. There's been such a glut of Hollywood pseudo-ironic teen slashers in the last couple of years, I've started to despair of the horror industry.

Hopefully Freddy Vs Jason will sort the men from the boys, but I'm feeling sadly certain that there's bound to be a scene where Freddy/Jason gets kicked in the nuts by a smart ass teenager girl and the cinema falls about in hysterics :( In the original Nightmare/Jason films she'd get her head chopped off :) , but now she'll end up gracing the pages of FHM :hmph:

Where's this post going I wonder?

Hmm :rolleyes:

Snowman X said:
In the original Nightmare/Jason films she'd get her head chopped off :) ,
Ah, yes. Teen slasher flicks of the Eighties.

Children who sinned,
Were chopped into parts,
And then binned.

Great days indeed! :p

'Near Dark' and 'The Company of Wolves' are another two good films.

Vampires are cool and can be played in a variety of ways. Werewolves always suggest BO to me - and severe halitosis!;) Not to mention bad hair days being a serious issue.

Zombies (no offence, yer Emperorship) are boring, frankly.

What this world needs is more demons:D

I loved Blade (and Blade II). Looks good, sounds good, and by golly it is good. Even Wesley Snipes couldn't ruin it. That's probably my favourite vampire movie to date (including Buffy the Movie!). I found the Hunger tedious, and Interview with the Vampire bloody boring. But then I really can't stand Anne Rice. No offence to any of her many fans that may be on here. She just doesn't do anything for me.

Still, wouldn't do if we were all the same.

I saw '28 days later' recently. I thought it was a fine film appart from the lack of roaming bands of Roleplayers and Horror Fans.

Lets face it, if Britain ever was aflicted with Zombies they're the only groups who wouold be prepared. I belong to both catagories and if I woke up from a coma to find myself in a London empty exept for flesh crazed zombies and scattered bands of frightened humans I'd be straight down the V&A to raid the Japanese weapons section followed by a trip to the nearest Police station to rip off body armour and the Arrmed Response Unit's guns.

None of this wandering round aimlessly with a machete and a baseball bat. Amatures.

Cujo

Cujo said:
I saw '28 days later' recently. I thought it was a fine film appart from the lack of roaming bands of Roleplayers and Horror Fans.

Lets face it, if Britain ever was aflicted with Zombies they're the only groups who wouold be prepared. I belong to both catagories and if I woke up from a coma to find myself in a London empty exept for flesh crazed zombies and scattered bands of frightened humans I'd be straight down the V&A to raid the Japanese weapons section followed by a trip to the nearest Police station to rip off body armour and the Armed Response Unit's guns.

I think the police might be keen to hang on to it.
A pump action shotgun would be cool for maximum splattage but you can't beat an assault rifle, really...

Caroline said:
'Near Dark' and 'The Company of Wolves' are another two good films.

Near Dark's a clasic. Not to sure about THe Company of Wolfs but...

On the Underworld thing...it's the rather fetching fetish outfit that will stay with me weither I watch it or not.:blissed:

Tell me where to get off if I'm wrong. Isn't the whole Vampire and Werewolf schtick, the notion of the Vampire as outsider and the Werewolf as insider; they're one of us, but once a month they become the outsider.

'Near Dark' and 'Daughters of Darkness' are my two fave vamp flicks. 'Dog Soldiers' would probably be at the top of my werewolf movies.

:smokin:

lennynero said:
'Near Dark' and 'Daughters of Darkness' are my two fave vamp flicks. 'Dog Soldiers' would probably be at the top of my werewolf movies.

Daughters of Darkness? The Hammer flick? That's a damn fine movie.

We may not be talking about the same film. I'm referring to the 1971 film by Harry Kumel. It wasn't a Hammer production. It's about 2 lady vampires preying on a couple in a hotel in Ostend. Very languid and sanguine.

Daughters of Darkness

lennynero said:
We may not be talking about the same film. I'm referring to the 1971 film by Harry Kumel. It wasn't a Hammer production. It's about 2 lady vampires preying on a couple in a hotel in Ostend. Very languid and sanguine.

Daughters of Darkness

na, I'm thinking of the one with the twins one of wich becomes a vampire. It's got hints at incestuis relationsahips and stuff. Verry crreapy later Hammer.

It's got hints at incestuis relationsahips and stuff. Verry crreapy later Hammer.
Sounds interesting! I think I'll try and look this one up!

It wasn't called Daughters of Darkness, it was called Twins of Evil. It was a sort of follow-up to The Vampire Lovers and Lust for a Vampire. Used to be on late night TV a lot (that's where I saw it).

Back