• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unearthly Calls

Only once, not so long ago - woke me up with a start, pitch black, middle of the night. I reckon it actually was someone ringing the bell but I wasn't going to investigate at that unearthly hour. May have been a dream but don't think so. On the other hand, who the feck would be ringing my doorbell in the early hours?

Could be a deliveroo courier getting the house number wrong.

Only once, not so long ago - woke me up with a start, pitch black, middle of the night. I reckon it actually was someone ringing the bell but I wasn't going to investigate at that unearthly hour. May have been a dream but don't think so. On the other hand, who the feck would be ringing my doorbell in the early hours?

My sister experienced that phenomenon a few years ago. She was certain it hadn't been a dream so the following day she asked her neighbours if it had happened to them. Several of the residents on her street said it had. They suspected some of the local kids were the culprits.

Just woke up i caught a glimpse of my Goddess The Moon. My pal let me sleep. Bit miffed but not too miffed as I dreamt of my school days. Now I still love honey. But back then I used to always go through a bottle of honey usually dancing to music just sensually drinking the stuff. I was more of an addict for it back then. It helped with my asthma made me feel relaxed, I did do these honey dances in front of my friends and other peoples. My friends would say here she goes again. That's what I was doing in the dream . I can't remember the other songs in my honey dances but the last one was Phill Colllins in the air tonight. Gonna look at Moon one last time then hit the sack and try my hardest to have more sensual honey dancing dreams!! Goodnight all. ;) x
Are you a bee? lol

I have been in bed , half awake and half asleep and heard a loud snapping sound, like someone breaking a piece of wood right next to my head, bringing me awake again. This has happened a couple of times.
Something similar happened to me a couple of times, only the snapping sound, which was very loud, sounded like a rubber band. The first time I was in bed but awake, and my sister in my guest room who was also awake heard it too.

The second time it happened I was alone in the house talking on the phone around midnight and the snapping noise was so loud the person I was talking to also heard it.

I’ve experienced both hypnogogic and hypnopompic voices as well as exploding head syndrome too but for this I actually had a witness each time (who was just as puzzled as I was).

Now that's quite interesting... one Saturday morning about twelve years ago, I was still in a semi-dozing state when I suddenly became aware of what sounded like someone snapping their fingers just above me in bed. Perplexed, I struggled to full consciousness and the snapping continued, but moving around the bed, exactly as if someone was walking round and round, snapping their fingers every few seconds.

I sat up, fully awake (and very puzzled), after a couple more snaps, there was only silence.

Never heard it again or anything like it since (and never had any experience of Exploding Head Syndrome either).

The house in question was very old with a peculiar atmosphere, and it did cross my mind whether my slothful ways (it was nearly nine o'clock!) had incurred the displeasure of some long-departed housekeeper...

Now that's quite interesting... one Saturday morning about twelve years ago, I was still in a semi-dozing state when I suddenly became aware of what sounded like someone snapping their fingers just above me in bed. Perplexed, I struggled to full consciousness and the snapping continued, but moving around the bed, exactly as if someone was walking round and round, snapping their fingers every few seconds.

I sat up, fully awake (and very puzzled), after a couple more snaps, there was only silence.

Never heard it again or anything like it since (and never had any experience of Exploding Head Syndrome either).

The house in question was very old with a peculiar atmosphere, and it did cross my mind whether my slothful ways (it was nearly nine o'clock!) had incurred the displeasure of some long-departed housekeeper...
Mice (or rats) in the walls dragging plastic around for bedding?

My nan experienced that name call one night in the war years. Her husband was on fire fighting duty and she’d gone to bed reading with a candle and fallen asleep. She woke up because someone was calling her name urgently, over and over (it was Edith, but her ‘pet’ name for family and her husband was Didi which was what the voice was calling). The candle had fallen or tilted and was singeing her dressing gown that she’d laid nearby. She always swore it was her mother’s voice that called her.

I sometimes get the calling my name thing. It's usually not very loud, but I get it even when awake on occasion. I used to get the falling sensation (mentioned on the exploding head/hypnagogic thread cited above) when I was a teenager, but not now.

I only had the loud snapping/cracking noise while sleeping once: I developed a head cold on the way to the airport to visit friends on the other side of the country. A long flight delay made the cold worse, and after the flight my head was so stuffed I could hardly hear. The cracking noise, which literally sounded as if someone had whacked me in the back of the head with a board, happened a few days later. Because my cold symptoms dissipated after that, I only assumed it was the sound of my sinuses unclogging.

Has anyone heard the front doorbell ring but you think its real but in fact its in your dream ?
I think I’ve mentioned on here before somewhere that this has happened to me. The only difference in my case that I’ve been convinced I was awake when I heard it. I‘m sure I was fast asleep as I’m a good sleeper and these events were in the early hours of the morning. It’s also not a normal ding dong when I hear it. It’s either a ding donnnnnnnnng, sound as if someone’s holding the button down, or a fast repeating ding, ding, ding...

scares the bejesus out of me

Mice (or rats) in the walls dragging plastic around for bedding?

Worth mentioning, for sure - though I don't think it was anything quite like that. I've lived in places with both mice and rats active (yeah, I'm pretty classy) and never heard anything resembling such a noise that I could attribute to rodent activity.

The snapping noise sounded exactly like the noise you'd get if you stretched your arm out, and snapped your fingers (your volume may of course vary, but I can snap 'em quite loudly).

But it also sounded close if you get me - like the noise was being generated less than a metre from my head. Not anything behind the wall, or under the floor, or in any way muffled. Very clear, very sharp. Very close. Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap.

The room was very, very large; too big for a bedroom really - it was the former first floor drawing room of what had once been a very grand house built around 1800. The walls were solid, not cavity, and while the property did of course have its quota of odd noises, this wasn't one I recognised - or ever heard repeated during my time there.

And the directionality went around me - if I'd just heard some snapping, I might have assumed there were birds roosting in the chimney stack, as there was a huge marble fireplace in the room that might well have amplified any noises.

But I sat bolt upright, fully awake, and still the noise kept sounding around me, seemingly close, and going from side to side like one of those 'New Adventures In Stereo' LPs, where the sound would pan from one channel to the other and back again.

It probably went on for about thirty seconds, all told. Never experienced anything like it before or since.

My mother was practically bed-ridden downstairs in her later years whilst I slept upstairs. I hung a door-bell button around her neck and plugged the wireless chime into the socket on the Landing. If she needed me she'd ring and this worked well, I don't think I ever missed a call - even when I came down at 2:30 am one night to find she'd bitten into the button because she dreamt it was a biscuit.
Needless to say, although she been gone 5 years and I moved house, I've never slept deeply since and I still sometimes wake up suddenly with a faint echo of a doorbell in my ears.

I think I’ve mentioned on here before somewhere that this has happened to me. The only difference in my case that I’ve been convinced I was awake when I heard it. I‘m sure I was fast asleep as I’m a good sleeper and these events were in the early hours of the morning. It’s also not a normal ding dong when I hear it. It’s either a ding donnnnnnnnng, sound as if someone’s holding the button down, or a fast repeating ding, ding, ding...

scares the bejesus out of me

Funny, that's put me in mind of my grandmother, who went through a phase of complaining that someone kept ringing her doorbell at 3am - wakening her up, and causing her to go to the door; and of course there was never anyone there.

At the time we were unsure what to make of it - she was living alone at that point, as my grandfather was in a nursing home with quite advanced Alzheimer's. (This was well before affordable CCTV or doorbell cameras, I should point out.)

She reported it continuously for about a week, to the point that I took it upon myself to drive over to her house in the early hours of the morning and park up further down the street, with the front door in view. I didn't tell anyone I was going to do this; it was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing - probably on my way back from a late band practice.

No-one came anywhere near the house in the hour or so I sat there (it was a quiet cul-de-sac), and the next day she said that there hadn't been a 3am ring on the bell. It wasn't mentioned again, and we never did work out what was happening - some weird stranger messing about; or some sort of neurological issue? Or something else?

Try a neti pot:
https://www.webmd.com/allergies/neti-pots
"In their search for relief, many sinus sufferers have turned to nasal saline irrigation, a therapy that uses a salt and water solution to flush out the nasal passages."
When i was on holiday in Cyprus many years ago, i did a bungee jump from 200ft into the sea, it was great right up to the point i was pull back out of the sea, my nostrils acting like buckets filling my sinuses with water, it cleared my sinuses a treat but it wasnt pretty to look at :hahazebs:

Screenshot_20210226-075529.png
Screenshot_20210226-075533.png

I wish someone would whack me on the back of the head with a board to unclog my sinuses.

I feel your pain. I suffer every year from mid January through March. I find what works best for me is either Sudafed or Lemsip tablets through the day, a Lemsip before bed along with a blast of Sudafed spray up each nostril. I keep the spray on hand, just in case I need it through the day as well. Most of my suffering is down to the blood-vessels expanding in my nose, that's where the spray helps.

I'm not saying all that's perfect, I still suffer some, but it definitely helps me get through the day without smashing my head against the wall.

Have you tried Fess nasal spray? It's basically salt water I think, but I find it quite effective.

“Nasal sinus irrigation” I.e. snorting salt water works for me fairly well. It’s just a highly unpleasant procedure and I have to screw up my willpower to do it.

When i was on holiday in Cyprus many years ago, i did a bungee jump from 200ft into the sea, it was great right up to the point i was pull back out of the sea, my nostrils acting like buckets filling my sinuses with water, it cleared my sinuses a treat but it wasnt pretty to look at :hahazebs:

View attachment 36353View attachment 36355
Ha! That's a great pic! :badge:

I feel your pain. I suffer every year from mid January through March. I find what works best for me is either Sudafed or Lemsip tablets through the day, a Lemsip before bed along with a blast of Sudafed spray up each nostril. I keep the spray on hand, just in case I need it through the day as well. Most of my suffering is down to the blood-vessels expanding in my nose, that's where the spray helps.

I'm not saying all that's perfect, I still suffer some, but it definitely helps me get through the day without smashing my head against the wall.
I have to use a prescription Steroid nasal spray....really know about it if I miss it for some reason !

Back