• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild, Weird & Wacky Inventions

Here's a phone app video that can detect double yolk eggs gullible viewers
Umm...you know how I, well, doubt everything?

I doubt that this video is even pretending to be real. Don't you detect a double-yolk....on you?

(Never fear....you're in good company).

Clues as to it being not actually being a real design, include:
  • the whole style of the video
  • the fact that the 'app development company' is actually a video production company (www.oliversisland.co.uk) not an app software house
  • the small matter that their website says http://oliversisland.co.uk/project/79668906 ) The app is not available for sale as the ultrasound hack is not something most people would be able to carry out safely, and without this the app will not function. What?!
  • Other work of the company (produced for British-based tv channel E4) includes 'Aliens' "We created the title sequence and a package of promotional assets for this new E4 drama series set in a fictional England in which Aliens came to live amongst us. Working with the programme makers, Clerkenwell Pictures, we also created a phoney 80s news report and extensive behind the scenes docs shot in Bulgaria"
If this is real, I'll eat my hat.

Umm...you know how I, well, doubt everything?

I doubt that this video is even pretending to be real. Don't you detect a double-yolk....on you?

(Never fear....you're in good company).

Clues as to it being not actually being a real design, include:
  • the whole style of the video
  • the fact that the 'app development company' is actually a video production company (www.oliversisland.co.uk) not an app software house
  • the small matter that their website says http://oliversisland.co.uk/project/79668906 ) The app is not available for sale as the ultrasound hack is not something most people would be able to carry out safely, and without this the app will not function. What?!
  • Other work of the company (produced for British-based tv channel E4) includes 'Aliens' "We created the title sequence and a package of promotional assets for this new E4 drama series set in a fictional England in which Aliens came to live amongst us. Working with the programme makers, Clerkenwell Pictures, we also created a phoney 80s news report and extensive behind the scenes docs shot in Bulgaria"
If this is real, I'll eat my hat.
You could be right, I don't know .. one of the guys posts as Stallion Explosion on B3ta and normally puts out outlandish comedy videos .. like this one ... or they've invented a double yolk finder thingy ..

Last edited:
I was desperately searching for a thread that I could post the following in as I was so surprised when I realised it's never been posted on anywhere on the forum before! Anyway the closest thread I thought my post might fit in at least vaguely was this one, so I digress, I'm talking about the amazing Survival Research Laboratories and the amazing work of Mark Pauline. A friend introduced their work to me years ago by giving my a couple of old VHS tapes produced by SRL. Has anyone here heard of them before?

I'll add a quote from their wiki page:

Survival Research Laboratories (SRL) is a machine performance art group credited for pioneering the genre of large-scale machine performance.[1][2][3] After about 30 years in San Francisco, California, SRL spent most of 2008 moving to Petaluma, California.[4]

Since its inception in 1978 SRL has operated as an organization of creative technicians and technical creatives dedicated to re-directing the techniques, tools, and tenets of industry, science, and the military away from their typical manifestations in practicality, product or warfare. Since 1979, SRL has staged over 45 mechanized presentations in the United States and Europe. Each performance consists of a unique set of ritualized interactions between machines, robots, and special-effects devices, employed in developing themes of socio-political satire. Humans are present only as audience or operators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_Research_Laboratories

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that won't fly. Rotor blades are not big enough, and a 125cc motor may not be enough power.

I'm willing to bet he doesn't have the driveline flexibility to prevent it from shaking itself to pieces - particularly where the undersized rotor blades attach to the drive shaft.

I'm curious as to why he didn't build himself a gyrocopter - a much simpler and safer DIY rotor-winged craft.

I'm willing to bet he doesn't have the driveline flexibility to prevent it from shaking itself to pieces - particularly where the undersized rotor blades attach to the drive shaft.

I'm curious as to why he didn't build himself a gyrocopter - a much simpler and safer DIY rotor-winged craft.
He's basically built a big fan. Hope it keeps him cool.

Heath Robinson's new sex toy NSFW can someone please remind me how to do that spoiler thing so I don't upset the mods

Spoiler?
Select text. Click the + next to the filmstrip icon.
Select Spoiler from the menu.

Very good live act that I'd recommend seeing if he's gigging anywhere near you... uses a mechanical drum machine he built himself from a cadillac wheel:

Wintergatan's marvelous marble music machine ...

Last edited:
Del's machine of no obvious practical use .. it's beautifully crafted ..

Last edited:
Make your own bike pump espresso machine ..

Back