• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watergate and the identity of Deep Throat

BuckeyeJones said:
One little hole in your theory, Kathaksung.
Richard Nixon was never impeached.
He quit.
http://www.heptune.com/preslist.html

Peace
=^..^=217

He was almost impeached and left like to be impeached. Anyhow this is not the point and won't affect our discussion.

One thing may strenthen my conclusion:

Deep Throat: The Game Is Afoot
Timothy Noah
Posted Thursday, July 29, 1999, at 1:42 PM PT

Incidentally, Culeman-Beckman's paper unearths a nifty Felt-related snippet from the White House tapes that Chatterbox didn't know about. As in the White House tapes excerpt Chatterbox previously cited </id/1003283/>, Felt is discussed as a probable leaker. This time, though, Nixon (who, among other things, will likely be remembered as America's last anti-Semitic president) expresses horror at discovering Felt to be Jewish. This conversation, dated Oct. 19, 1972, is even more Gothic than the last:

Nixon: Well, if they've got a leak down at the FBI, why the hell can't Gray tell us what the hell is left? You know what I mean?...
Haldeman: We know what's left, and we know who leaked it.
Nixon: Somebody in the FBI?
Haldeman: Yes, sir. Mark Felt. You can't say anything about this because it will screw up our source and there's a real concern. Mitchell is the only one who knows about this and he feels strongly that we better not do anything because--
Nixon: Do anything? Never.
Haldeman: If we move on him, he'll go out and unload everything. He knows everything that's to be known in the FBI. He has access to absolutely everything ...
Nixon: What would you do with Felt?
Haldeman: Well, I asked Dean ...
Nixon: You know what I'd do with him, the bastard? Well that's all I want to hear about it.
Haldeman: I think he wants to be in the top spot.
Nixon: That's a hell of a way for him to get to the top.
Haldeman: You can figure a lot of--maybe he thought--first of all, he has to figure that if you stay in as president there's a possibility or probability Gray will stay on. If McGovern comes in, then you know Gray's going to be out ...
Nixon: Is he Catholic?
Haldeman: (unintelligible) Jewish.
President Nixon: Christ, put a Jew in there?
Haldeman: Well, that could explain it too.

http://slate.msn.com/id/1003301/

From Mark Felt's story, I have two points here.

1. Is US an evil country that it takes 30 years to librate an American "hero"? Or rather FBI now has more power supported by Patriot Act that they can openly claim they can break up the law without being punished?

2. Mark Felt investigated the case of Watergate break in. Years later he commintted the same crime of "break in". So he had no principle for a crime. Obviously there was other purpose that he leaked the inside information to Washington Post.

So Felt did the leak not for justice but for other purpose.

Re:
Felt was convicted in 1980 for authorizing illegal break-ins in the 1970s at homes of people associated with the radical Weather Underground. He was pardoned by President Reagan in 1981.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article ... 0000000001

Well, I am glad to see you are still alive Kathaksung.

1. Is US an evil country that it takes 30 years to librate an American "hero"? Or rather FBI now has more power supported by Patriot Act that they can openly claim they can break up the law without being punished?
You of all people should know the power of the fbi and other government agencies. The fbi never brought Felt in from the dark, he did it on his own because he is in ill health and needs money, simple.

2. Mark Felt investigated the case of Watergate break in. Years later he commintted the same crime of "break in". So he had no principle for a crime. Obviously there was other purpose that he leaked the inside information to Washington Post.
This has all been covered, when you have something new, let me know.
Re:
Felt was convicted in 1980 for authorizing illegal break-ins in the 1970s at homes of people associated with the radical Weather Underground. He was pardoned by President Reagan in 1981.
Once again I think you should read other posts as this was also covered.
Peace
=^..^=217

There is a really interesting recording of a phone conversation Nixon held with someone (can't remember who) while the Watergate scandal was breaking. Nixon is close to blubbing and obviously drunk and is bemoaning the disloyalty of various people and the unfairness of life in much the same way as your average self-pitying barfly might. You can't help feeling a little sorry for him.

There is also a recording of him flirting outrageously with the recently widowed Jackie Kennedy.

These recordings were made officially via the Whitehouse and are now commercially available - although I'm not sure if the two mentioned are actually in the collection. I first heard them on BBC Radio 4's Archive Hour.

The best of the lot is the one of LBJ talking to the company who tailored his trousers. He's asking the director of the company to have them made with a bit more room between "the nut-sack and the bung-hole" - his very words.

Back