• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Animal Sightings

A

Anonymous

What is the weirdest, or most out of place animal you have seen ? Seen a lake monster, exotic cat, wallaby in the garden, wolf in the road ? Share it here.

weird animals

One day walking in the hills on the N.S.W. ,Victorian boarder,in the lower snowy mountains, I saw a line of 12 echidneas walking nose to tail .They reached a large stump and proceeded to walk around and around it.On passing back five hours later, they were still walking around that stump.Two weeks later I was passing the area and decided to have a look.Whilst the echidneas were gone, there was a destinct path around the stump. How long had they circled that stump? Afriend has since told me that the front echidnea was a female and a long line of boys following her.:eek!!!!:

weird animals

During a prawning expedition at The Entrance about 80 miles north of Sydney I saw a remarkable animal of some sort.It was about 12.30 at night on a run out tide,the channel at that point goes from sand to rapidly 20 feet deep and runs at a fast jog.This thing with a neck 10 inches long,and a mouth full of teeth,and red reflective eyes,as the torch was not at full power I couldn't see under the water but when I made a swipe at it with a prawning net (and ending up in the drink)it went spastic. So ended my recovery efforts.It definately was not a bird, ???????? Baby Nessie in Australia.

ive seen a seal swimming in loch ness and a whale in the forth which was kinda wierd :rolleyes:

Wildman...could it have been a bunyip ?
I have twice seena Black Leopard which I tracked...and a caracal-type cat last October.

Last year a swarm of jelly fish were found in a small boating lake in Cardiff, about 3 miles from the sea.... hmmmm.:confused:

I once saw what at first I thought was a strange duck swimming across the River Orwell in Suffolk. Getting closer, we saw it was a deer!

I have also seen a squirrel swimming across the tidal River Fal in Cornwall, just below Trelissick House. Not a weird animal, but weird behaviour, especially as there were narrower places it could have crossed! And not far below that point I've seen a gannet diving for fish, although this bird normally hunts out at sea.

But I'd loved to have seen the Tamworth Two escaping the slaughterhouse by swimming a river!

weird animal sightings

I dont know Neil as Ive never seen the greater or lesser Bunyip,but not through want of trying.I was speaking to 2 mates who live in Launceston Tasmania the other day.They think they saw the Lesser Bunyip whilst fishing for trout on The Great Lake in mid september 2001.They thought they saw a platapus on the surface sunning its belly,but then realised it was too big for a platapus,and then flipped and disapeared.If your quiet a platapus will hang around being a querious little creature.They have been known to come up and look at a hand draped in the water when you canoe past.In fact fishing for trout late one night below burrinjuck dam,we heard a russling and there was a platapus nosing around for worms and bugs on the Bank.

About 12 years ago my Grandad and I saw what looked like a snake swimming along a town river in Lincolnshire. It was about 60cm long, and about an inch and a half wide, so couldn't have been a rat or cat or something as the river was very clear.

Do British snakes swim?

The Beast said:
About 12 years ago my Grandad and I saw what looked like a snake swimming along a town river in Lincolnshire.

Do British snakes swim?

Grass snakes swim regularly. They eat mainly amphibians and fish, and hence usually live near water. They swim with a side-to-side undulation of the body. When they swim on the surface, the head is usually just above the water, and this produces a distinctive v-shaped wake.

Yep! Thats what I saw!!

Hurray, mystery solved!!

So, come to think of it, not very fortean after all.

Bugger.

People just love the word Fortean don't they?

What do you mean a distinct v-shaped wake. Aren't all wakes v-shaped? About 37 degrees or something.

Weirdest thing I ever saw was about 12 sheep on the hill opposite my window stood in a perfect circle, facing each other... wierd... And about 12 very fat thrushes one winter, who invaded our garden and just sat in the snow for a full afternoon, never moving. They left eventually....

Squirrels are getting much more common in cities these days - I've seen loads in urban areas recently... goddamn treerats...

What do you mean a distinct v-shaped wake. Aren't all wakes v-shaped? About 37 degrees or something.

Yes, that's not very specific, is it. What I really meant was:

When the snake swims, it holds only its head above (or on) the surface. The head travels in a relatively straight line, while the body moves constantly from side to side below the water. This means that the wake is generated from a small point moving in a relatively straight line, at a relatively constant velocity. This seems to produce a v-shape with rather straight sides and a small point.

Quite often, it's not possible to see the body of the snake, just the wake and the head.

In my experience, other animals tend to produce wakes with more wobbly edges, and more rounded points to the v-shape.

Some friends of mine saw an aardvark walking down the side of the road on the way to Brecon last summer.

When I was about 10 I saw a bright turquoise squirrel sitting on a fencepost. Looking back it was *probably* a trick of the light, but well, who knows?

Just recently, my mother watched as her cat sat in a triangle with a fox and a magpie on the garden lawn, all looking warily at one another, and in broad daylight.

Eventually, the fox made a dash for the magpie, which flew out of reach, and the spell was broken. You can imagine what they may have been thinking about one another. Just as well the three squirrels and the heron that visit (true) weren't around at the time.

Mexican stand off! We've got otters at he end of my road. Not very fortean, but rare and quite charming. Just thought I'd mention it.

Inverurie Jones said:
Mexican stand off! We've got otters at he end of my road. Not very fortean, but rare and quite charming. Just thought I'd mention it.

Glad you did. I saw a pair in Loch Ness once, emerging from a disturbance close to shore on a flat calm in early morning. It got our (mine and my brother's) attention, but the realisation that it was caused by otters was a pleasant consolation for the hoped-for bigger game.

Pah! Piffle! A mere misidentification of other factors that made you think you saw otters in the Loch. Surely a more plausible explanation was that you saw a rampant plesiosaur with two otter-shaped pertruberances on its reptilian back, crawling up the bank towards you?

zygmunt said:
When I was about 10 I saw a bright turquoise squirrel sitting on a fencepost. Looking back it was *probably* a trick of the light, but well, who knows?

When I was four I saw a wierd insect - it look like a ladybird grub but it's front half was turquoise blue and it's back half was fluorescent yellow . No one believed me .
Marion

I've never seen any OOP animals myself, but over the years I've been suprised at what people have told me they've seen.

A pelican in New Mills (Derbyshire)

A bear crossing a road in the Peak District

A creature described as somewhat like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil in Todmorden (W. Yorks)

re- Tasmanian what?!

wintermute said:
I've never seen any OOP animals myself, but over the years I've been suprised at what people have told me they've seen.

A creature described as somewhat like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil in Todmorden (W. Yorks)

Intriging! Was it alone or with Bugs bunny?

Tell me more...

Please!:)

From what I remember it was seen late at night (of course) on a lonely farm track (where else?) and was visible for only a few seconds. It was shaped like Taz in that the body tapered sharply from very wide shoulders. Also it moved very quickly.

Sadly, no other OOP Toons were reported locally.

There's some weird rock formations on the hills above Todmorden, with connections to the unexplained. The Whirlaw stones, I think. Not near here was it?

This whole area's in the middle of the so-called "Pennine Triangle", maybe strange sightings are fairly commonplace here!

Actually it was near Eagles Crag in Cliviger Gorge, which is a very haunted location by both traditional and modern phenomena.

wintermute said:
It was shaped like Taz in that the body tapered sharply from very wide shoulders. Also it moved very quickly.

Could it have been a wild boar? There are some in England, so I'm told.

when i was a lot younger we found what looked like a red scorpian dead in a paddeling pool, since then ive seen what looks like a black one in my house i didnt even know u had them in this country

Bisto said:
when i was a lot younger we found what looked like a red scorpian dead in a paddeling pool, since then ive seen what looks like a black one in my house i didnt even know u had them in this country
One of the stations on the eastern end of the Circle Line is supposed to have a resident colony of scorpions

Back